PDA

View Full Version : WMV Advanced Settings via the registry

orion44
11th March 2010, 16:34
I have Windows XP SP2 and have installed Windows Media Format SDK 11 and Windows Media Encoder 9.
I have read that the advanced codec settings can be changed in the registry.

What I want to know is, if I don't add any registry keys and values to the registry,
will the default values of advanced coded settings still be used when encoding with windows media encoder 9?

Midzuki
12th March 2010, 15:05
Just my $1.99:

You don't have to use Windows Media Encoder itself ---
--- either WmNicEnc or wmcmd.vbs can do VC-1 encoding without an intermediate convoluted GUI. :)

VC-1 and Windows Media Video 9 FAQ @:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=112634

P.S.: No need for that SDK, nor WMP 11,
wmfdist11.exe is more-than-sufficient. :devil:

http://www.citizeninsomniac.com/WMV/#Codecs

orion44
12th March 2010, 17:56
Thanks.

I have these two programs, but I prefer to use windows media encoder 9.

After using Xvid for the last 5 years, I've decided to move on and use x264 and WMV 9 (VC-1).

In the next couple of days, I plan to do a lot of testing with these two codecs,
because I'm very interested in subjective video quality.

Anyway, if anyone knows, could they tell me if the advanced settings
are being used (the default values), if you don't add any registry key or values?

Thanks.

orion44
15th March 2010, 02:57
Hey, I just tried wmcmd.vbs, and it is AWESOME!

I'm gonna uninstall windows media encoder now.

Midzuki
16th March 2010, 17:04
Hey, I just tried wmcmd.vbs, and it is AWESOME!

I'm gonna uninstall windows media encoder now.

If you do that, wmcmd.vbs WILL NOT WORK.

orion44
16th March 2010, 21:23
If you do that, wmcmd.vbs WILL NOT WORK.

Yeah, I figured it out.

Everything is working fine now, including the advanced options.

I tested both VC-1 codec and x264, and I must say that x264 looks MUCH, MUCH better than VC-1.

benwaggoner
19th March 2010, 18:47
You're better off using the free Expression Encoder 3, which has a nice GUI and .NET object model exposing the important parameters, and is also faster and higher quality in general (basically all the Win7 perf improvements on XP and Vista, plus the quality improvements from the VC-1 Encoder SDK).

Windows Media Encoder is, what eight years old now, and has really lousy preprocessing in comparison.

orion44
19th March 2010, 20:27
You're better off using the free Expression Encoder 3, which has a nice GUI and .NET object model exposing the important parameters, and is also faster and higher quality in general (basically all the Win7 perf improvements on XP and Vista, plus the quality improvements from the VC-1 Encoder SDK).

Windows Media Encoder is, what eight years old now, and has really lousy preprocessing in comparison.

Thanks, I'm downloading it now.

CruNcher
13th April 2010, 19:55

Wait you freed it or better have a free version now it's no Demo only anymore ? what is the difference to the commercial one ?

Edit: Ohh should have looked more carefully though as expected not in any way limited except very special non consumer things and external technologies nice :) Note: This free version of Expression Encoder 3 does not include support for IIS Smooth Streaming and H.264 encoding. To use these features, upgrade to Expression Encoder 3 with IIS Smooth Streaming.