PDA

View Full Version : Subtitle Types

wisenheimer
26th February 2010, 20:31
I was trying to get subtitles (in an mkv) working on win7mc. I installed the Shark007 codec pack and, though I have no idea what I did, managed to get them to come on. I noticed, however that the subtitles in my two mkv test subjects looked vastly different. One mkv had subtitles that were white and had a relatively small font. The other mkv had subtitles that were larger and yellow. I was perplexed, but figured that maybe one had multiple subtitle streams and win7 was selecting one at random.

I decided to use an tool within mkvtoolnix to look at them (see, I'm learning). While each mkv only had one subtitle file in it, they had different name types. I am about to attempt a video encoding marathon of converting my 400 DVD rips to h264 mkvs. This seems like something I'd better square away in my knowledge bank before I begin the process.

Can anyone offer (or point me in the direction of) an explanation of the different types of subtitle files? Additionally, is there one that I should be focusing on adding as opposed to the other?

Thank you!

Update: I think one said S_Text/UTF8, but the other was different

hatetea58
2nd March 2010, 09:01
You have basically two types of soft/switchable subtitles, text(srt,ssa/ass) and images(sup/sub/idx).

DVD, Blu-rays contains images subtitles and those can't you use adjust or make custom with your player. You can OCR the subtitles to text srt/ssa/ass subtitles, and those can you adjust (font, size, etc) with your player or subtitle filter.