PDA

View Full Version : Problem with English subs (anime) using VobSub with GKnot.....

EnDarkEnd
28th January 2002, 15:52
The only thing I've ripped and encoded before was just a regular American movie. I'm now trying to encode the first DVD of Evangelion with Gknot in Divx4 (SmartRipper, VobSub, and Virtual Dub). I thought I configured the subs correctly, but evidently I didn't, because there were none at all in the finished .avi. I just followed the guide here at Doom9 and here's the steps I followed:

- Clicked "Configure" in the Subtitles tab

- Hit "Open" and selected my .ifo file

- Then I selected "English" as my subs (the only one available)

- And I left the the lower right window alone (it was full of "Cell" stuff).

- Clicked "OK" and let it index

- After they were loaded into the filter, I pretty much left them alone, only checking "Smooth Image" and setting the fade in/out time to 40/60 from 50/50

- Then I hit ok and nothing really seemed to happed, but the 3 files that I was supposed to get were there in my folder

So what did I do incorrectly? Advice appreciated, as always. :)

Thanks,

EnDarkEnd

*edit* - Also, I chose to let GKnot encode the subs directly into the .avi

aleksander
29th January 2002, 08:08
If you already have encoded your movie (if you don't want to do it again), then the best solution will be using the 3 files you have obtained as a subtitles you can switch on/off. Just rename them to the same name as your movie is (i.e. movie.ifo , movie.sub , movie.idx if you have movie.avi) and place them in the same directory as your movie. Don't forget to install DirectVobSub (it is a part of the VobSub package). If you have installed full version (over 5MB) of Gknot, you should have it installed. Then just play it in for example WMP 6.4
take care
aleksander

seoulsteve
31st January 2002, 12:50
EnDarkEnd: by the sounds of it, you've done everything right. you still need to do two things though.

1. rename both (or all three, if you are using VobSub v2.07 or prior) of the subtitle files the same as your .avi movie.

2. put both of the subtitle files in the same folder as your avi.

--* i have never burnt subs into a movie. the way i described above is the method you use for subs which you can toggle on and off.

by the way: when you pressed "OK" after indexing and nothing seemed to happen, it's because nothing did happen. the "indexing" process that you went through at the beginning is all there is to the program in terms of ripping the subs. ;)

aleksander
31st January 2002, 13:12
Originally posted by seoulsteve
EnDarkEnd: by the sounds of it, you've done everything right. you still need to do two things though.

1. rename both (or all three, if you are using VobSub v2.07 or prior) of the subtitle files the same as your .avi movie.

2. put both of the subtitle files in the same folder as your avi.

Man! That's exactly the same answer I have given above!!!! ;)
aleksander