PDA

View Full Version : idx won't play in MKV

Havarth
17th November 2009, 20:25
A few months ago I started using the 'DivX 7 H.264 Encoder Beta 2' and began re-encoding select DVDs/shows into the codec (past versions were DivX 6). The problem I have, as the title says, is that my 'idx' subtitles will not play in the mkv container (muxed using mkvmerge GUI).

When I first learning how to use the command line DivX 7 encoder, with my test video I muxed the subtitles with it, and they worked. For a while, they continued to work then just stopped one day. They're shown as being selected but will not play. I've searched many places for an answer but never found anything close to my problem. The same subtitles still work them muxing them with a Divx 6 (.divx) video.

Any ideas as to what the problem is? Have I overlooked something?

Thanks, in advance.

Inspector.Gadget
17th November 2009, 20:28
What are you using for playback software? VobSub-in-MKV works fine here with MPC-HC and Haali's splitter.

Edit: Specifically, what is your renderer?

Havarth
17th November 2009, 20:30
I've tried in Media Player Classic with Haali's Splitter and Divx 7 player, which they both worked in at first.

Inspector.Gadget
17th November 2009, 20:31
Try MPC-HC. Use either VMR9 Renderless (XP, with and without mixer mode) or EVR CP (Vista). Do you still end up with non-displayed subtitles?

Havarth
17th November 2009, 20:53
Found the problem and it was indeed my mistake. I had the "Combined Community Codec Pack" (http://www.cccp-project.net/ - site doesn't seem to work at the moment) installed then later installed the stand alone version of Haali's Splitter. This probably broke something and prevented the subtitles from working. Everything else worked fine so I didn't notice any immediate change. Reinstalling the codec pack fixed it.

What made me notice this is that I have my computer dual-booted with Vista and XP. After your replies I tried it in Vista (where I'd installed a new version) and it worked. Went to XP and it didn't. So I reinstalled and its fine.

Thank you for your help with this problem. It's greatly appreciated.

Inspector.Gadget
17th November 2009, 21:04
No problem. Generally, all you need for playing back virtually anything is MPC or MPC-HC, ffdshow-tryouts, and Haali. In the future you may want to try installing these manually to get familiar with their settings; you've unfortunately just bumped into one of the problems with relying on codec packs.