PDA

View Full Version : FrameRate interpolation software?

thanhtu5013
30th September 2009, 16:13
Hi to everyone. :)

At first, sorry for my english because I'm french.
I'm new on this forum so I don't know if it's the good section to add this thread. It not, replace this thread on the good section.

There has been a long time I use to read doom9'forum. I know there has a lot of guys with very good video knowledege here.

My request is about framerate interpolation softwares.

With Fraps, I capture my gameplays on HD but only with 25-30 fps because it's really impossible to play and capture at the same time with native speed (60fps) in spite of I have a powerful computer.

I expect rebuilding missing frames to have video with native speed with a motion interpolation software.

I used a lot of framerate interpolation softwares and plugins for Avisynth and VirtualDub, and all of them gives ugly results.

The best and only software I've tried that gives correct results is "Motion Perfect". But there has still some artifacts and defaults with this software.

A video interpolated with Motion Perfect :

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1EP8AXQ6

Someome knows a solution for me ?

Thanks by advance. :)

30th September 2009, 18:47
I used a lot of framerate interpolation softwares and plugins for Avisynth and VirtualDub, and all of them gives ugly results. Tell us what you've tried, so that we don't recommend something you already rejected.

Sagekilla
30th September 2009, 18:52
If you're trying to do interpolation of video game footage to achieve smoother motion, you'll be sorely disappointed. Depending on the type of motion, your results will vary from horrendous to just bad. I don't know any games where interpolating frames doesn't look like crap.

In my experience, film content reacts nicer to temporal interpolation than video game content would.

thanhtu5013
30th September 2009, 19:29
Tell us what you've tried, so that we don't recommend something you already rejected.
Thanks for your reply. :)

I've tried MSU Frame rate conversion filter with avisynth and MSU motion estimation filter with VirtualDub.

I've tried FrameRate Converter HQ, Motion Perfect and Adobe After effects too.
( For this last, I don't know how to use it. I searched tutorials in french on the web but for some reasons every of them were removed... )

thanhtu5013
30th September 2009, 19:33
If you're trying to do interpolation of video game footage to achieve smoother motion, you'll be sorely disappointed. Depending on the type of motion, your results will vary from horrendous to just bad. I don't know any games where interpolating frames doesn't look like crap.

In my experience, film content reacts nicer to temporal interpolation than video game content would.
Which plugin or software you use ?

I think it's possible to do motion interpolation perfectly on video games but the softwares and hardwares allow to do that should be very expensive.

Sagekilla
30th September 2009, 19:53
I've tried MSU and MVtools, and neither was satisfactory.

Unless the type of motion in the game you're capturing is panning without change in perspective, you'd have a very difficult time getting good in-between frames.

The fact that you got bad results from what you've done so far isn't a big surprise, in fact I expect that would happen. As I said, motion interpolation is much kinder on film sources than a video game source.

30th September 2009, 21:00
I think it's possible to do motion interpolation perfectly LOL. :p

Why do you think that? Wishful thinking?

thanhtu5013
30th September 2009, 21:22
LOL. :p

Why do you think that? Wishful thinking?
This filter seems to do motion interpolation perfectly but It is reserved only for Samsung company.

http://compression.ru/video/frame_rate_conversion/index_en.html

7ekno
1st October 2009, 10:38
It's not hard to pick a source that any filter would be "perfect" in ...

By your assessment, the standard MSU_FRC() (http://compression.ru/video/frame_rate_conversion/index_en_msu.html) function would also be perfect (have a look at the matrix scene they render with it, it's "perfect"), and we all know your result with that :P

7ek

thanhtu5013
1st October 2009, 11:30
It's not hard to pick a source that any filter would be "perfect" in ...

By your assessment, the standard MSU_FRC() (http://compression.ru/video/frame_rate_conversion/index_en_msu.html) function would also be perfect (have a look at the matrix scene they render with it, it's "perfect"), and we all know your result with that :P

7ek
Have you tried this just one time ?
There has a real difference between the gifs we could see on their website and the reality.

1st October 2009, 14:29
There has a real difference between the gifs we could see on their website and the reality. That's the whole point. The same applies to your Samsung "perfection".

thanhtu5013
1st October 2009, 15:57
That's the whole point. The same applies to your Samsung "perfection".
I don't think.
The application reserved exclusively for Samsung is an other application. It's not the same as MSU FRC or MSU AFRC.

The last both plugins are for general public.

2Bdecided
1st October 2009, 17:12
IMO Samsung certainly isn't the best FRC in a TV out there, and whichever is the best is not perfect.

You're trying to invent completely missing information - how could it be perfect all of the time?

Cheers,
David.

thanhtu5013
1st October 2009, 17:15
IMO Samsung certainly isn't the best FRC in a TV out there, and whichever is the best is not perfect.

You're trying to invent completely missing information - how could it be perfect all of the time?

Cheers,
David.
Totally impossible so I give up !

The best way for me it's probably capturing video games in 720p@60fps, then upscale it to 1080p instead of capturing 1080p@30fps and try to interpolating.

1st October 2009, 20:01
I don't think.
The application reserved exclusively for Samsung is an other application. It's not the same as MSU FRC or MSU AFRC.
Are you being intentionally dense?

Here's my point in pictures:

Public filter <---> marketed with misleading GIFs
Samsung filter <---> marketed with misleading GIFs

In the first case, you see the results of the filter and can see that the GIFs are misleading. In the second case, assume that the GIFs are also misleading. Conclusion: the Samsung filter is also anything but perfect.

I hope that you can see the point now.