PDA

View Full Version : sound only in left channel

nowitsdark
25th January 2002, 20:37
I have a Radeon 64 DDR VIVO and Soundblaster Live! for capturing Video and TV. Video works fine but I only get sound in the left channel. The VCR is connected to the sound card via an RCA to miniplug Y-cord (as my sound card has only one mini-plug for line in). One would think that it would play mono in both speakers . . . but it doesn't.

I have looked through all of the windows sound settings and cannot find anything wrong. I have tried a straight cord in both the red and white RCAs on the VCR and I always get everything in the left channel only. Anyone have any ideas? Got to be something obvious that I have overlooked.

In lieu of fixing the problem, is there a way to fix captures after the fact by putting the left channel in both channels? Or simulating stereo from one channel?

khp
27th January 2002, 02:48
I don't know how to fix this.

But converting from stereo sound to mono using only the left audio channel, can be done in virtualdub, assuming that u have captured to an avi file just open it in virtualdub and select 'Full processing mode' in the audio menu, then click conversion in the audio menu.
And select left in the channels selection box, and click OK.
Then you have to select which audio format u want to encode to, click compression in the audio menu, to do this.

U can find virtualdub in the download section at www.doom9.net

Kedirekin
27th January 2002, 14:42
Is the video tape monophonic? It's standard in VCRs to only output on one of the channels when the tape is mono. In fact, many stereo TVs are set up to handle this (if they only see sound on one channel, the play it from both speakers).

Quick way to check is simply to swap the red and white RCA plugs - if the audio is now all in the right channel, it's the VCR that's doing it.

The various cabling solutions for this are pretty obvious.

As for replicating the left channel into the right channel via software, I'm sure any good audio editing tool could do it. I believe CoolEdit is a pretty good tool that you can try for free.

nowitsdark
27th January 2002, 22:24
Originally posted by khp

But converting from stereo sound to mono using only the left audio channel, can be done in virtualdub ...

Thanks, I will try this. Sounds like an easy solution.

Originally posted by Kedirekin

Quick way to check is simply to swap the red and white RCA plugs -
if the audio is now all in the right channel, it's the VCR that's doing it.

I have tried switching the cables and it has no effect. It also happens when capping cable TV through the VCR tuner so it is not tape related. I will try khp's solution for now ... or buy a new sound card with stereo line in.

Thanks

Cart
28th January 2002, 07:05
Even though it's one plug, line-in generally supports stereo. Based on the information you've provided, it sounds to me like the problem lies in your VCR.

-Cart
http://www.geocities.com/lukesvideo/index.html