PDA

View Full Version : DVD Shrink alternative?

MikeTR
27th May 2009, 17:54
Though I prefer RB for full or movie-only backups, I still find myself using Shrink when splitting eposidic discs or merging titles. Since I don't care about the extras that come with most series DVD releases, I prefer to split&merge the episodes to 3 per DVD5 backup. Most of the time the backup ends up below 5GB, so only a modest (>90%) transcode is required to fit the contents on the disc.

I still love Shrinks ease of use and lightness (don't you just love good old freeware :)).
Lately however I find more titles coming in over 5GB. I could obviously run the backup through RB, but since this adds an hour per DVD, I'd rather not.

Is the Shrink transcoder still 'good enough', or are there more up-to-date programs with comparable fast trans-/recodes that would be worth spending cash on?

Suggestions and opinions are welcome.

setarip_old
27th May 2009, 19:41
Hi!are there more up-to-date programs with comparable fast trans-/recodes that would be worth spending cash on?DVD95Copy Pro...

MikeTR
27th May 2009, 21:23
DVD95Copy Pro...

What exactly makes DVD95Copy stand out in your opinion?
I remember trying it some years back (v3.5 I think) and it didn't seem to offer any (significant) advantage over Shrink when splitting/merging/transcoding.

setarip_old
27th May 2009, 23:49
First and foremost, as you asked, DVD95Copy Pro is a CURRENT and regularly updated program, capable of processing DVDs with the most recent copy protection schemes.

It also provides all of the capabilities you've mentioned.

Chetwood
28th May 2009, 06:26
Is the Shrink transcoder still 'good enough'
Absolutely. All you need to do is use the free DVD Fab HD Decrypter to bypass current copy protections schemes.

ferret
3rd June 2009, 17:02
DVDfab & CloneDVD are the top 2 right now

setarip_old
4th June 2009, 01:47
@ferret

Hi!

Not that it's very important but, I'd ask you what evidence are you basing your statement on? (Especially since, in anoither recent post, you stated you'd "been away" from DVD ripping for a long time and were seeking recommendations for ripping software)

Ghitulescu
4th June 2009, 16:42
Why do you people are not happy with the software you have?
I see no reason to change a working system ...
Lots of software on your computer is a very bad idea.

Chetwood
5th June 2009, 07:05
Says who? I have tons of software (including trials) on my machine and it's working fine.

Ghitulescu
5th June 2009, 10:53
Says who? I have tons of software (including trials) on my machine and it's working fine.

I say :)

My laptop never had a blue screen, never got any virus and was never re-installed since the beginning, 6 years ago. And yes it's connected from time to time to the net. Can you outperfom it?

Fishman0919
5th June 2009, 21:50
I say :)

My laptop never had a blue screen, never got any virus and was never re-installed since the beginning, 6 years ago. And yes it's connected from time to time to the net. Can you outperfom it?

WOW... a big old "My stick is bigger then your stick!" contest... a little OT, don't ya think?

Chetwood
6th June 2009, 06:30
Can you outperfom it?
Not outperform but I can match it. And that is WITH plenty of tested software.

Nick
6th June 2009, 12:01
And that is WITH plenty of tested software.

And there's the rub.

Could we perhaps agree that high quality of software, rather than low quantity, is the key to a fast, stable system, then get this one back on topic?

Chetwood
6th June 2009, 15:00
We can once I've corrected my previous statement (that came out wrong) to 'tested by me'. By that I mean that my system runs fine despite me having tried out tons of software. So I stand by my initial comment that 'Lots of software on your computer is a very bad idea.' is simply not true.

Nick
6th June 2009, 17:58
Either way, make that the last post on the whole 'lots of software...' matter please.

MysticE
6th June 2009, 23:34
Though I prefer RB for full or movie-only backups, I still find myself using Shrink when splitting eposidic discs or merging titles. Since I don't care about the extras that come with most series DVD releases, I prefer to split&merge the episodes to 3 per DVD5 backup. Most of the time the backup ends up below 5GB, so only a modest (>90%) transcode is required to fit the contents on the disc.

I still love Shrinks ease of use and lightness (don't you just love good old freeware :)).
Lately however I find more titles coming in over 5GB. I could obviously run the backup through RB, but since this adds an hour per DVD, I'd rather not.

Is the Shrink transcoder still 'good enough', or are there more up-to-date programs with comparable fast trans-/recodes that would be worth spending cash on?

Suggestions and opinions are welcome.
These sort of questions always seem a bit odd. How do your DVDs look? Do they suit your needs? Are there problems that you feel 'newer' programs might address?

I have Nero 7 and tend to use Recode (which is very similar and newer) these days. It seems to work quite well with MO conversions that only require a small amount of shrinking. It's also a tad faster than Shrink. Would I recommend buying Nero for Recode? No.

cwl7454
7th June 2009, 11:59
@MikeTR

I still use Shrink on probably 97% of the dvd's, as I want the movie only and to put them on a single layer to burn if need be.
Have had no problems whatsoever, Still an absolutely great tool.

MikeTR
22nd June 2009, 09:10
Just thought to post a update.

So far I've played around a little with DVD95, Dvd2one, Recode & CloneDVD.
All good programs, but for me not worth forking over the dough*.
Recent updates seem more concerned with decrypting or debugging and not so much with re/transcoding.
*Recode actually came with my latest DVDRW and I would even use it if it weren't part of nero bloatware. Too bad it can't be used as a standalone program.

Ghitulescu
22nd June 2009, 14:55
And there's the rub.

Could we perhaps agree that high quality of software, rather than low quantity, is the key to a fast, stable system, then get this one back on topic?

I fully agree with ;)

cwl7454
1st July 2009, 10:58
The thing about DVD95copy Pro is that it is not availible for Vista OS, not that that in itself is a problem, but more importantly is anyone running it under vista without problems; both 32 and 64 bit.

What appers to be interesting is that the free versions of the different programs is availible for Vista but the paid versions are still for (up to) XP.

Anybody try the following yet: Blu-Ray & DVD Decrypter 6.0?

I also see that somebody is now selling DVD Shrink? Not evan for for Bluray or HD!

Chetwood
1st July 2009, 15:10
It's not now but has been done for a while. Of course it's all scams cause DVD Shrink is free.

setarip_old
6th July 2009, 00:42
@cw7454

Per the homepage of DVD95Copy:Supported OS:

Windows 98
Windows ME
Windows NT
Windows 2000
Windows XP
Windows Vista

BTW - I checked out my purchased version on a Vista 64 system - and it performed perfectly...

cwl7454
8th July 2009, 23:10
Yes I see that it is listed now for Vista, when I last looked it was only listed up to XP.

Ah, I now see the relationship between DVD Copy and DVD Fab, rather interesting.

setarip_old
9th July 2009, 01:40
@cwl7454Ah, I now see the relationship between DVD Copy and DVD Fab, rather interesting.You do? What correlation/relationship do you see?

cwl7454
10th July 2009, 23:24
The programs below are third party products which use Dvd95Copys engines to copy dvds:

NOTE: Below products are sold as "try-before-you-buy" software. You can Try them 30 days for free, so you have enough time to verify the program's functionality. We don't refund your money if you are not satisfied with the products below. We urge you to test it out before you buy it!

DVDFab Platinum
DVDFab Gold
DVDRegion+CSS Free
DVDIdle Pro

setarip_old
11th July 2009, 01:23
@cwl7454

That's ancient history - The "DVDFab" programs long ago ceased using that engine ("Digi" does a horrible job of maintaining the "DVD95Copy" website)

doomed9path
25th July 2009, 19:41
I like Slysoft. They update regularly and their programs have a small footprint. Not all DVD's i've tried worked but well over 90% do. I think that's pretty darn good.

Chetwood
24th August 2009, 06:38
Same here with DVDfab which IMO is less intrusive.