PDA

View Full Version : Resume encode

ajp_anton
12th March 2009, 14:45
My computer just froze with 4 simultaneous x264 2nd pass encodes at ~95% after 2 days.
What is the best way to continue? Cutting off the end after the last I-frame and joining it with a separate encode of the end with a new target filesize = [old target - beginning's size]? How much will this differ from what it would've been?

SquallMX
12th March 2009, 21:49
My computer just froze with 4 simultaneous x264 2nd pass encodes at ~95% after 2 days.
What is the best way to continue? Cutting off the end after the last I-frame and joining it with a separate encode of the end with a new target filesize = [old target - beginning's size]? How much will this differ from what it would've been?

The same thing happend to me, i did exactly that, and the results where good, the only complication is if you're using DirectShowSorce since is not frame accurate, so make sure that the second portion of the video starts in the correct frame.

:helpful:

ajp_anton
12th March 2009, 22:19
Already started the encodings, hope they will be fine (new calculated bitrates are pretty close to the originals so I can't see why they wouldn't).
I'm using mpeg2source for two of them, avcsource for one, and avisource (lagarith) for one.

So I guess the question is... is there any difference between joined videos and a complete encode besides small bitrate errors? Meaning does x264 use any info from before the last I-frame for its encoding?