PDA

View Full Version : MakeMKV - Blu-ray/DVD/Hd-dvd decryptor and remuxer

Pages : [1] 2

Mike Chen
27th January 2009, 10:43
I would like to announce yet another tool for Blu-ray decryption. MakeMKV http://www.makemkv.com is a program that converts Blu-ray and DVD discs into MKV files directly, preserving original encoding for all tracks. I previously announced the program in "containers" forum at http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=143361 but at that time it was limited only to MKB v4 and below so it was essentially useless for Blu-ray. The current version has latest AACS keys so it can open all Blu-ray discs (except BD+). The program is currently freeware but some functionality will become trialware in future while some wil stay free forever. Enjoy.

KenD00
27th January 2009, 16:02
latest AACS keys so it can open all Blu-ray discs (except BD+)

The latest keys we know of are for MKBv8 while Blu-Ray discs with MKBv9 already exists. So either you know more keys than we or less discs ;).

:rolleyes:

setarip_old
27th January 2009, 19:00
@KenD00

Hi!

By all means, if you haven't already done so, read "Mike Chen's" other thread, to get a better sense of some of Mike's well-intentioned statements ;>} This program appears to have great potential and may provide true competition for the (presently) only commercial software...

loo3aem3ON
27th January 2009, 19:35
I would like to announce yet another tool for Blu-ray decryption.
Are you planning to add BD+ support in the near future?

it can open all Blu-ray discs
You should replace "open" with "decrypt" in your description unless you really mean taking apart the different layers of the physical disc.

setarip_old
27th January 2009, 21:56
I just used the program to successfully backup an older (2006) BluRay release that has the main movie split between two non-consecutive "titles" (That I subsequently joined perfectly, using "MKVMerge").

As other members who have read the original thread and/or used MakeMKV thusfar are aware, MakeMKV creates a separate .MKV file for each "title", making no effort to join titles that comprise one true TITLE.

Although this presents no problem regarding standard DVDs (For which the vast majority of movies are contained in but one "title"), it seems to me that, in order to be a meaningful ripping/converting progam regarding BluRay discs, MakeMKV would have to include the ability to interpret playlists or whatever the controlling files are in determining the proper sequential playback of "titles" that comprise the movie.

Additionally, I've got to believe that it would be an almost trivial task to, prior to creating the .MKVs, provide the ability to save the BluRay disc, in its entirety, to hard disk...

setarip_old
27th January 2009, 22:06
@Mike Chen

Is there some "secret" to getting MakeMKV to successfully use a ripped hard drive BluRay "package"?

Thusfar (Trying al versions including v.1.02_B684), regarding several different BluRay (and HD) titles, the end result has always been, "Unable to open disc"...

KenD00
28th January 2009, 03:21
@setarip_old
I know the other thread very well, i was just curious about the announced decrypting abilities, because so far AnyDVD HD was the only program that can do MKBv9.

Anyway, i have tried it with my X-Files 2 disc (which is MKBv9) and it was decrypted (except the BD+ damages of course), so this program seems to be the second one that knows a new processing key and maybe certificate. The Linux community is in desparate need of a new certificate and a new PK definately wouldn't hurt too ;).

@Mike Chen
Have you found the new key / certificate on the web or have you worked them out yourself?

setarip_old
28th January 2009, 03:38
@KenD00I know the other thread very well, i was just curious about the announced decrypting abilitiesI was trying to obtusely advise that "Mike Chen" seems to occasionally make overzealous statements about the program's capabilities...

Mike Chen
28th January 2009, 07:59
@Mike Chen

Is there some "secret" to getting MakeMKV to successfully use a ripped hard drive BluRay "package"?

Thusfar (Trying al versions including v.1.02_B684), regarding several different BluRay (and HD) titles, the end result has always been, "Unable to open disc"...
No secrets actually, it should just open either files on hard drive or iso image. What you've been trying to do - open already decryped files or iso, or your "package" is encrypted? If you could please enable "log debug messages" in settings menu, restart the program,try to open ripped files and post the log here or via PM - it would really help us to understand the problem. And yes, if you're trying to open encrypted files you'll need to have either VID or VUK.

Mike Chen
28th January 2009, 08:02
@Mike Chen
Have you found the new key / certificate on the web or have you worked them out yourself?

We have our own :) . Version 1.2 contains aacs keys that can unlock MKB v10 and will probably stay valid until v11. It contains fairly recent host certificate and "libriveio" library, that is planning to be released under LGPL, that can read VID from drives with patched firmware directly.

setarip_old
28th January 2009, 09:02
@Mike Chen

Here are four examples of failed attempts to open decrypted BluRay filesets residing on a hard drive:

Swordfish - Decrypted files on harddrive

Selected "MovieObect.bdmv":
FAILURE: Code 3 at >f0]:TW#V uho<iN'4rT{qyWO:121261727
FAILURE: Code 0 at IXUcGJ0 YJtbB3I8:121265039
FAILURE: Code 0 at IXUcGJ0 YJtbB3I8:29394068
Failed to open disc

Selected "index.bdmv":
Failed to open disc

Ladder 49 - Decrypted files on harddrive

Failed to open disc

Selected "index.bdmv":
Failed to open disc

Unless my vision is even worse than I think, I believe all four attempts yielded identical error logs.

loric
28th January 2009, 10:37
Is a Linux version planned? Even without the GUI?

setarip_old
29th January 2009, 06:59
@Mike Chen

I must say, I'm most impressed with this latest version!

It successfully ripped and converted to .MKV the quite recently released "Star Wars - The Clone Wars" Blue Ray version (VC-1 video) directly from the BluRay disc.

This latest version also appears to have the capability of converting an already decrypted .ISO version of a BluRay disc to .MKV, but strangely, only if the .ISO is NOT mounted (I'll recheck this again at a later time). Also, as noted earlier, it still doesn't seem to be capable of dealing with already decrypted filesets (not .ISO image files) stored on a hard drive.

Kudos to you and your team on what, with this release of v.1.02_b864, I now see to be a very exciting program in the making. Keep up the excellent progress ;>}

setarip_old
29th January 2009, 09:35
@Mike Chen

Ironically, after congratulating you and recommending MakeMKV to a member ("MPAA") in response to a posting in the "Newbies" sub-forum here, it was extremely disappointing to hear back from that member that, contrary to your statement (both at the top of this thread and on your homepage) that:Preserves all video and audio tracks MakeMKV generates the following error notification:Stream #1 of type 'DTS-HD audio' was skipped, since it is not supported in BETA version Considering the large number of BluRay discs out there with DTS-HD encoding (and, possibly, no additional .AC3 in the same language), this limitation may prove to be prohibitive to anyone desiring to extacct the best possible audio.

Perhaps, rather than having members (including myself) "discover" the program's unstated limtiations/deficiencies, you would be good enough to state them in a post to this thread. We all understand that this is a work in progress, so don't be bashful ;>}

Mike Chen
29th January 2009, 10:11
@Mike Chen
Failed to open disc
[/B]

Thank you, that made it clear. There is an error when opening decrypted files from harddrive, there is no workaround. New version should be available soon.

Mike Chen
29th January 2009, 10:24
@Mike Chen

Considering the large number of BluRay discs out there with DTS-HD encoding (and, possibly, no additional .AC3 in the same language), this limitation may prove to be prohibitive to anyone desiring to extacct the best possible audio.

Perhaps, rather than having members (including myself) "discover" the program's unstated limtiations/deficiencies, you would be good enough to state them in a post to this thread. We all understand that this is a work in progress, so don't be bashful ;>}
There are two high-def DTS formats - "DTS HD" and "DTS HD MA". Only first is not supported and only because we haven't seen any disc that uses it. Majority of the discs use master audio.

For any HD audio format "supported" means that core audio is extracted and placed to MKV. So for any HD audio MKV will contain regular 5.1 audio, either AC3 or DTS. Currently there is no way to put HD audio into MKV and no player will play it.

Currently unsupported but easy to do once we have a sample disc:
DTS HD (DTS HD master audio is supported)
dolby digital plus (Dolby truehd is supported)

not supported:
blu-ray text subtitles

not implemented yet:
no chapters are extracted from blu-ray
on blu-ray each AV clip is extracted as separate title

BTW, on regular DVDs one title contains almost always 2 or more AV clips because of layer break. MakeMKV joins them automatically.

setarip_old
29th January 2009, 10:48
@MIke Chen There is an error when opening decrypted files from harddrive, there is no workaround.Convert to (unmounted) .ISO image file.

There are two high-def DTS formats - "DTS HD" and "DTS HD MA". Only first is not supported and only because we haven't seen any disc that uses it.Per member "MPAA", the "Reservoir Dogs 15th anniversary edition" contains just such an audiostream.

BTW - Does MakeMKV presently process LPCM audiostreams?

Mike Chen
30th January 2009, 10:24
- Does MakeMKV presently process LPCM audiostreams?

Oh, sorry forgot to mention LPCM in my previous post: currently it's unsupported but will be in future.

Mike Chen
30th January 2009, 10:30
BTW new build is available with fixed error during opening of already decrypted Blu-ray and HD-DVD files on harddrive

setarip_old
30th January 2009, 10:51
BTW new build is available with fixed error during opening of already decrypted Blu-ray and HD-DVD files on harddriveGood to see the excellent response time.

Does this fix include the abiltiy to deal with, as previously discussed, HD-DVDs using VC-1?

TiVoMad
30th January 2009, 13:56
For any HD audio format "supported" means that core audio is extracted and placed to MKV. So for any HD audio MKV will contain regular 5.1 audio, either AC3 or DTS. Currently there is no way to put HD audio into MKV and no player will play it.

Hi Mike,
What a lot of us have been doing using the 'manual' method is to convert the hi-def audio formats to FLAC. A PC with something like MadFlac installed will happily play back the full bandwidth audio and it can be sent via HDMI as 7.1 PCM. It would be very cool if you added that 'feature' at a later date.

Also, I think the MKV container's latest spec. does allow the HD Audio formats although as you say, nothing will play them (yet). FFDSHOW has some beta support for the new audio but I don't think it works too well at the moment.

Anyway, great program. Well Done.

TiVo.

setarip_old
2nd February 2009, 23:18
@Mike Chen

I just used MakeMKV to rip the "Ratatouille" BluRay disc. It brought to firsthand light for me, a suggestion I made in an earlier post to this thread, to wit:

It seems to me that, in order to be a meaningful ripping/converting progam regarding BluRay discs, MakeMKV would have to include the ability to interpret playlists or whatever the controlling files are in determining the proper sequential playback of "titles" that comprise the movie.

From what I've been able to cull out from the more than 20 "Titles" ripped by MakeMKV, including SOME (but not all) apparently joined "Titles" that are parts of the "movie only", there are anywhere from 8 to 15 non-sequential "Titles" that are parts of the actual movie.

Also, rather than MakeMKV generating simple sequential "Title" numbers based on "Titles" checkmarked by the user, I think it may be more meaningful to use clip numbers or playlist numbers instead...

(Until such time as such a feature is added to MakeMKV, is there anyone who knows how I can determine (Other than visually) the correct sequence of the ripped "Titles" and their individual filesizes that comprise the "Ratatouille BluRay disc?)

**Additional request** - It would be extremely beneficial if MakeMKV would show the "Title" numbers next to each "Title" in the second generated window.

jj666
2nd February 2009, 23:55
Hello setarip_old, if you use EAC3TO and point it at the root directory of your bluray disk via the command line, it will show you all the playlists with the respect .M2TS numbers it will join.

Cheers,

-jj-

setarip_old
3rd February 2009, 00:10
@jj666

Hi!

Thanks for the info ;>}

Mike Chen
3rd February 2009, 09:51
Does this fix include the abiltiy to deal with, as previously discussed, HD-DVDs using VC-1?

Not yet...

I just used MakeMKV to rip the "Ratatouille" BluRay disc...

Thank you Setarip,we know the problem, it's program limitation that it doesn't work with playlists by now, but we are working on that issue. So please wait for the new build.

Mike Chen
3rd February 2009, 11:43
Hi Mike,
What a lot of us have been doing using the 'manual' method is to convert the hi-def audio formats to FLAC. A PC with something like MadFlac installed will happily play back the full bandwidth audio and it can be sent via HDMI as 7.1 PCM. It would be very cool if you added that 'feature' at a later date.

Also, I think the MKV container's latest spec. does allow the HD Audio formats although as you say, nothing will play them (yet). FFDSHOW has some beta support for the new audio but I don't think it works too well at the moment.

Anyway, great program. Well Done.

TiVo.

TiVo,

Many thanks for the information! That's really great, we will try to add this in the future!
Could you by any chance send me some tutorial of how you do that?

setarip_old
3rd February 2009, 21:27
@Mike ChenThank you Setarip,we know the problem, it's program limitation that it doesn't work with playlists by now, but we are working on that issue. So please wait for the new build.Thanks for the feedback ;>}

setarip_old
12th February 2009, 05:27
@Mike Chen

Regarding updated copy protection on standard DVDs - "MakeMKV" is not capable of ripping the movie title(s) of the just released R1 version of "W" (A Lionsgate release)...

kkloster21
12th February 2009, 13:48
@setarip_old

were you able to get the sequence of .m2ts files for Ratatouille from the info jj666 gave you? if not, I have the sequence.

setarip_old
12th February 2009, 19:02
@kkloster21

Hi!were you able to get the sequence of .m2ts files for Ratatouille from the info jj666 gave you? if not, I have the sequence.Yes, I was, thank you for asking and offering - starting with 27 and ending with 65 ;>}

Mike Chen
13th February 2009, 11:22
Guys, I would like to give an update. The version 1.3 is now available. It adds support for latest DVD protections (found on various LionsGate discs), support for Blu-ray playlists and chapters and incorporates some other suggestions from this thread. Current AACS keys still work on MKB v12. Please give it a try.

Kurtnoise
13th February 2009, 14:02
Hi,

I'm just testing the last beta. Nice job. Now, most of my BD discs are recognized.

However, I've a question concerning HD subtitles. Which player is able to play back those streams with S_HDMV/PGS as CodecID ? It seems that the haali splitter is able to split it but which renderer ? and this specs has been validated by the Matroska Team yet ?

kkloster21
13th February 2009, 14:49
@Mike Chen:

Are the AACS keys that you have processing keys? If they are, would you consider sharing them with KenD00 so he can incorporate them into his free and open-source DumpHD software? Linux users like me (and loric i think) can't use your software and i am personally only interested in software that can play blu-ray movies straight from the disc (without ripping them).

we'd really appreciate it! The open-source software community thrives on the generosity, hard work, and cooperation of people like you, KenD00 and Oopho2ei (and countless others who have contributed here).

setarip_old
13th February 2009, 21:18
@Mike Chen

Hi!

This update sounds impressive ;>}

Does this v.1.3 update now include the ability to deal with, as twice previously discussed, HD-DVDs using VC-1?

DrinkLyeAndDie
14th February 2009, 04:13
Are you saying that this is a "BD+" disc?

X-Files & X-Files 2 == FOX
FOX == BD+

cwl7454
15th February 2009, 19:52
@setarip_old

Have been having alot of problems with the Lionsgate productions. On "DisasterMovie", Ripit4Me appears to have correctly processed it evan tho had popup warnings at the end. Playback of file on VLC player started out with pixalation and freezes on opening, it automatically restarted itself and played fine the whole way thru.

AnyDVD to Folder: Seems to have processed ok; total 7.05GB, ran thru DVD Shrink and evan tho I selected Main Movie 0f 2.68 GB while it was processing it appeared to include a lot of interviews after the main movie. Playback of Image was fine, but did include pretty much everything on the DVD.

MakeMKV: After processing dragged largest fileset to decrypting side, while processing showed numerous skipped titles and cells, took 18m 46secs for an output of 13 titles. Playback on VLC player of everything appeared to be fine, but is showing closed caption. Now that I these 13 MKV files how do I get them to an ISO? Am I going to have to buy a converter?

lchiu7
18th February 2009, 23:43
I'm a bit new to this backing up BD/HD-DVD's via freeware/shareware tools since up till now my goal was to just backup my HD-DVD collection in case my player died and not worry about BD since you can always get a new player (I am using a PS3).

So I have been using AnyDVD trial and it's pretty easy to use. But the trial has ended and rather than spend 79 euros on the tool I started looking at the other tools like dumphd, dumpvid, aacskeys etc. Tried on a couple of titles and they seemed to work. And what made it harder was the fact my LG drive has had its key revoked so had to use PDVD7 which came with the drive and dumpvid to hammer the drive to get the Volume Key (if that's the right term).

Anyway have come across this tool and it looks interesting. But what's not so clear to me is, it says it won't handle BD+. I am entirely sure what the implication of that is. Does that mean it cannot rip a BD title with BD+? If so can you use the BDVM Debugger in standalone mode?

What happens if it's a title with mkbv9 keys so this tool is the only tool (apart from AnyDVD) that can handle it.

Sorry if the questions are a bit simple but some looking around on this forum didn't turn up any obvious answers

Thanks

setarip_old
19th February 2009, 02:11
@lchiu7

Hi!Does that mean it cannot rip a BD title with BD+?That's correct...

lchiu7
19th February 2009, 03:01
@lchiu7

Hi!That's correct...

So are you caught between a rock and a hard place then?

If you have a title with BD+ and mkbv9 you're screwed unless you have AnyDVD? The mkbv9 stops DumpHD and bdvm debugger and BD+ stops MakeMKV?

setarip_old
19th February 2009, 03:10
@lchiu7

MakeMKV has been improved several times since inception. I wouldn't doubt that dealing with BD+ is one of the items being worked on, although your guess would be as good as mine as to when such an improvement will show up - and whether it will be in the current free beta mode, or when they take the program commercial.

You might want to post your question at the forum at the MakeMKV website.

Or, you could avoid purchasing Fox BluRay discs ;>}

lchiu7
19th February 2009, 05:11
Or, you could avoid purchasing Fox BluRay discs ;>} [/Color]

Well I got into this backup thing mainly to backup my HD-DVD collection since players are going to rare as hen's teeth soon and I didn't want to be left stranded with about 50 titles I couldn't play. So the idea was back them up to a server and play with a Popcorn Hour which works fine.

Then seeing how convenient it was to do that, thought I would put some of more frequently played BD titles on the server and hence the encounter with BD+ and possibly mkbv9 which I had no knowledge of before since I had been using AnyDVD. But that trial is over and I can't justify the cost of a two year licence given that most of the HD-DVD titles I have can be backed up with the tools on this forum and there won't be any new encryption coming along:)

The only Fox title I have tried so far (Life Free or Die Hard) is BD+ but I seem to have gotten dumphd with the BDVM debugger, Dumpvid and aacskeys to back this title up. A lot of effort to be sure but the result is satisfying!

tu
21st February 2009, 01:06
quick question...

MakeMKV creates "transcode" container that is the same quality in term of video as m2ts rips? What about audio? Is the same quality?

Tu

setarip_old
21st February 2009, 19:12
@tu

Hi!

Read the very first post of this thread - and then read the rest of this thread to learn which audio formats are not presently handled (at all) by the program...

setarip_old
21st February 2009, 20:34
@Mike Chen

You've not responded to a suggestion/request that I posted much earlier in this thread, so I'll state again:

I've got to believe that it would be an almost trivial task to, prior to creating the .MKVs, provide the ability/option to save the BluRay disc, in its entirety, to hard disk in conforming BluRay format.

Please advise...

guru1968
23rd February 2009, 16:51
I tried this amazing program to convert my DVDs to a single file that I can stream via network towards my PS3 - so much easier than putting the DVD into the tray... for that I am a lazy guy and do not need all that extra crap on the DVD!

It's also quite nice if the MPEG2 video is converted to 264, saves a lot of disc-space (x264 video is ~700 MB; plus the audio gives something around 1.5 to 2.5 GB - depending on the audio tracks one leaves inside)...

Only two problems so far:

1.) mkv2vob does not recognise the video format - keeps yelling about an "unsupported video codec: MPEG-2"
--> would be nice if those two "one-click solutions" worked hand-in-hand (much easier for us PS3 owners)

2.) the DVD-chapters within the MakeMkv output are somewhat corrupted (or out-of-spec)!?
-> MkvInfo shows them, but no other program "sees" the chapters (neither MkvExtract nor TsMuxer recognizes those)
how do I get the chapter information (e.g. to be feed into txmuxer)?
what I am doing wrong here?

keep up the work - amazing little prog so far

p.s.
also subtitles don't work -- but this sadly is a common problem on the PS3 (subtitles don't work at all here; on self-made single-file videos I mean)
<EDIT>OK, subtitles would work for small MP4 and divX containers up to 4GB, but beyond 4GB there are no subtitles 'til now</EDIT>

p.p.s.
that's how I do it a.t.m.:
1. MakeMkv (extract DVDs main movie to a single MKV file)
2. tsmuxer (extract the MPEG2 movie from that MKV file)
3. DGIndex (indexing the MPEG2 movie for use with AviSynth)
4. meGUI (convert the AviSynth movie into h264)
5. tsmuxer (combine the h264 movie with the original audio)
6a. tsmuxer (mux to .ts for streaming)
6b. or mkv2vob (if the audio was DTS)

[if MakeMkv would directly support mkv2vob, I could save steps 2 to 5 ...]

that way I am losing subtitle and chapter information (tsmuxer does not recognize chapters/subtitles from MakeMkv files :-( )

any other posible solutions to preserve chapters/subtitles ???

ggking7
23rd February 2009, 17:26
MakeMKV doesn't seem to work on Linux via wine. I'm going to post at the makemkv.com forum too, but does anyone know if the author is interested in making it work via wine?

raymondtrudeau
26th February 2009, 22:31
is it possible to just get the main movie and a menu? if so hoiw do you select the menu? thanks

setarip_old
27th February 2009, 01:50
@Mike Chen

My recent efforts with "Make MKV" have included converting several BluRay discs that employ VC-1 videostreams. Although the conversions have gone smoothly, the resultant .MKVs playback in a very "choppy"/stuttering (and at times, slideshow-like) manner.

This problem is very certainly limited to those BluRay discs containing VC-1 videostreams.

Your thoughts, please ;>}

setarip_old
27th February 2009, 01:52
@raymondtrudeau

Hi!

MakeMKV does NOT include menu retention capablity...

Kurtnoise
27th February 2009, 05:45
My recent efforts with "Make MKV" have included converting several BluRay discs that employ VC-1 videostreams. Although the conversions have gone smoothly, the resultant .MKVs playback in a very "choppy"/stuttering (and at times, slideshow-like) manner.

This problem is very certainly limited to those BluRay discs containing VC-1 videostreams.

I don't think so...

1/ Retry a vc-1 to mkv mux with eac3to or mmg from mkvtoolnix.
2/ Compare with the one from MakeMKV. If the problem is still there, it's probably due to your decoder filter chain...

Kurtnoise
27th February 2009, 05:46
I tried this amazing program to convert my DVDs to a single file that I can stream via network towards my PS3 - so much easier than putting the DVD into the tray... for that I am a lazy guy and do not need all that extra crap on the DVD!
MakeMKV is not the appropriate tool for that...:rolleyes:

setarip_old
27th February 2009, 07:50
@Kurtnoise

Hi!1/ Retry a vc-1 to mkv mux with eac3to or mmg from mkvtoolnix.Doing so would require using something other than "MakeMKV" to decrypt a source BluRay disc - and the only alternative is a payware product that I've neither desire nor intention to purchase.

I said:"This problem is very certainly limited to those BluRay discs containing VC-1 videostreams."

You said: "I don't think so..."

The simple fact is that I've successfully used this procedure to decrypt and convert MANY non-VC-1 BluRay discs without encountering this problem - but have encountered this problem with three VC-1 BluRay discs...

Kurtnoise
27th February 2009, 08:02
Doing so would require using something other than "MakeMKV" to decrypt a source BluRay disc - and the only alternative is a payware product that I've neither desire nor intention to purchase.
not at all...eac3to and mmg are free tools and are able to remux mkv input files.

The simple fact is that I've successfully used this procedure to decrypt and convert MANY non-VC-1 BluRay discs without encountering this problem - but have encountered this problem with three VC-1 BluRay discs...
doesn't prove anything...try what I said first.

setarip_old
27th February 2009, 09:35
@Kurtnoise

I know you are well-intentioned, but you are misinformed:

Neither EAC3to nor MMG can DECRYPT BluRay discs.

Presently, only (presently freeware) MakeMKV and (Payware) "AnyDVD-HD" can decrypt BluRay discs (An older version of DVDFab HD Decrypter can decrypt a few of the earliest BluRay discs)...

lchiu7
27th February 2009, 09:55
@Kurtnoise

Presently, only (presently freeware) MakeMKV and (Payware) "AnyDVD-HD" can decrypt BluRay discs (An older version of DVDFab HD Decrypter can decrypt a few of the earliest BluRay discs)...

And let's include DumpHD which works on all titles apart from those with MKBV9 keys and can handle BD+ which makemkv cannot, yet

Kurtnoise
27th February 2009, 10:31

since when decrypted BD discs (embedded or not in containers) are responsible of choppiness ?

I don't get your point...anyway I give up. :rolleyes:

Mike Chen
27th February 2009, 10:42
@Mike Chen

As of today it is the known error. MakeMKV does not put FPS information into video track header and that causes playback problems, but only for VC-1 streams. Go fugure. It will be fixed soon.

Mike Chen
27th February 2009, 10:51
@Mike Chen

You've not responded to a suggestion/request that I posted much earlier in this thread, so I'll state again:

I've got to believe that it would be an almost trivial task to, prior to creating the .MKVs, provide the ability/option to save the BluRay disc, in its entirety, to hard disk in conforming BluRay format.

Please advise...
Even if it is trivial we have no plans to do that. The mission of MakeMKV is to convert video from proprietary and heavily-patented format into open and free one. Ability to produce decrypted blu-ray files will turn it into yet another ripper and will in fact help studios in their quest for tight content control. Our point is that we, consumers, have rights over the content we paid for and MakeMKV is an unlocker that opens all the things you can do with a video file.

On a separate note "conforming BluRay format" requires AACS protection. Currently players play AACS-unprotected discs but that is likely to change in the future.

setarip_old
27th February 2009, 10:56
@Mike Chen
MakeMKV does not put FPS information into video track header and that causes playback problems, but only for VC-1 streams.Thank you for confirming my observation!

It will be fixed soon.looking forward to it ;>}

Currently players play AACS-unprotected discs but that is likely to change in the future.If that were to change, it would eliminate the vast majority of the market for burnable BluRay media - and I don't think the manufacturers would want to see that happen.

Sorry to hear of your firm's unwillingness to add my suggested intermediate step to optionally convert to BluRay format (without AACS). I guess we'll just have to continue using tools such as tsMuxeR after the fact.

From my perspective as an experienced business owner, I'd suggest you reconsider my suggestion, because to do otherwise would be to forgo what is likely your largest market component simply for the sake of "splitting hairs" regarding the definition of a "ripping" program. By not adding this capability, you are leaving this entire market component to ONE commercial product. If you're not directly involved in your firm's marketing and/or finance, I'd respectully suggest that you bounce my suggestion off your marketing and forecasting personnel.

Keep up the great work and responsiveness!

Mike Chen
27th February 2009, 10:57
1.) mkv2vob does not recognise the video format - keeps yelling about an "unsupported video codec: MPEG-2"
--> would be nice if those two "one-click solutions" worked hand-in-hand (much easier for us PS3 owners)

mkv2vob is a GUI over many tools including tsmuxer. All MKV produced by MakeMKV can be fed into tsMuxER directly thus avoiding mkv2vob altogether.

2.) the DVD-chapters within the MakeMkv output are somewhat corrupted (or out-of-spec)!?
-> MkvInfo shows them, but no other program "sees" the chapters (neither MkvExtract nor TsMuxer recognizes those)
how do I get the chapter information (e.g. to be feed into txmuxer)?
what I am doing wrong here?

Very strange. MakeMKV creates unnamed chapters, so that might be the problem.

KenD00
27th February 2009, 18:55
The mission of MakeMKV is to convert video from proprietary and heavily-patented format into open and free one. Ability to produce decrypted blu-ray files will turn it into yet another ripper and will in fact help studios in their quest for tight content control.

Well, be sure that the ability to process encrypted discs (which you do) is far enough for "them" to get on their target list.

On a separate note "conforming BluRay format" requires AACS protection.

AFAIK this applies to BD-ROM only and not BD-R/RE.

Happysin
1st March 2009, 21:25
x-post from the makeMKV forum, just in case someone here has a solution.

Ok, so I have a bunch of HD DVDs that I want to rip, and MakeMKV seems ideal for this.

first off, I'm getting the
"VC-1 video stream without TFCNTR information is not supported, sorry. Few HD-DVDs use it anyway.
Failed to decode audio/video data for title #0 - invalid mux or internal error, title skipped."
message on all my HD DVDs. Granted, I've only tried V or Vendetta, Clerks 2, 40 Year Old Virgin and Red Dragon, but that seems like an impressive streak. So on that note, can someone tell me a confirmed-rippable HD DVD that I can test with? (updated, all my HD DVDs throw this error. I tossed them in to try)

Second issue, I'm not getting audio on any of the other files, either. The commentary and deleted scenes are not VC-1, but there's still no audio in the ultimate MKV (unless I'm misunderstanding something, which could be the case).

I'm also getting this error: FAILURE: Code 0 at 3eJwfP8<)RZ#AA,n_k:213132606 after it tells me all about the VC-1 no-support. (this was on the 40 Year Old Virgin, I did not have logging turned on yet for the other movies)

I'm using the XBox 360 HD DVD drive on a Vista 32-bit computer. I'm trying MPC and VLC for playback, and I have the most current CCCP codec pack.

Doom9
1st March 2009, 21:53
@Happysin: Buy AnyDVD HD or use DumpHD.. and then whichever tools you need to convert to MKV (e.g. ac3to to extract the streams, then mkvmerge to mux them to MKV.. or re-encode them in between ). HD DVDs alll use an MKB version that DumpHD can handle with the processing keys that are publicly known.

Happysin
1st March 2009, 22:28
I already own AnyDVD HD, and had the same problem with the files even though I had them ripped from the HD DVD first. and eac3to kept failing on me (as did the GUI versions). The whole reason I wanted to use MKVMerge is because I don't want to recompress all the files, I like them just fine in their big size. I just need something to do that. I've tried some multi-step stuff, but I keep getting lost in the process.

dandirk
4th March 2009, 04:34
Even if it is trivial we have no plans to do that. The mission of MakeMKV is to convert video from proprietary and heavily-patented format into open and free one. Ability to produce decrypted blu-ray files will turn it into yet another ripper and will in fact help studios in their quest for tight content control. Our point is that we, consumers, have rights over the content we paid for and MakeMKV is an unlocker that opens all the things you can do with a video file.

I love your app so far but... The comment above almost made me laugh. You want to "free" the proprietary content to only 1 specific format MKV???? Funny since many players support m2ts format already, which is similar to MKV just a wrapper. Granted that MakeMKV can decode encrypted disk which is the actual "freeing" part of the whole process... But it truely is silly to say "MakeMKV is an unlocker that opens all the things you can do with a video file" when the only thing you can do with it is make a MKV... Also there isn't "just another ripper" when Blu-ray and HDDVD is concerned. If you are trying to break into the DVD market? Why? I still to this day use DVDShrink...

Hey I am more then willing to use MKV format on my HTPC. There are many other uses for direct access to the "ripped" content. Subtitles are one aspect. Since MKV does not support .sup subitles we have to rip/transcode with MakeMKV, then rerip the subtitles and OCR them, then merge them back to the MKV.

While I don't think MakeMKV should have to support .sup conversion to .srt or other text based subtitles, it would be nice to avoid the need to use more tools to re-rip the subtitles when it could just as easily be done with MakeMKV

In all honesty, I personally would rather have a tool like DVDShrink where I can edit out extras etc easily, decryption is not a priority for me since I already have AnyDVD. The ability to convert to MKV is nice as well.

I know some here won't like it but why reinvent the wheel and spend time programing something that another piece of software does really well? When blu-ray ripping/reauthoring tools are still in their infancy?

machser
4th March 2009, 14:25
is it possible to choose an option in the program to include dvd's menu as well into the resulting mkv ?

sxotty
5th March 2009, 03:55
I already own AnyDVD HD, and had the same problem with the files even though I had them ripped from the HD DVD first. and eac3to kept failing on me (as did the GUI versions). The whole reason I wanted to use MKVMerge is because I don't want to recompress all the files, I like them just fine in their big size. I just need something to do that. I've tried some multi-step stuff, but I keep getting lost in the process.

Well I am with you in the confusion part. I just wanted to get my files onto my HTPC so I can play them after HD DVD's demise is total. It seems rather confusing so far. I dont have that many though and am just ripping them all to the HDD with any dvd HD trial.

lchiu7
5th March 2009, 04:18
Well I am with you in the confusion part. I just wanted to get my files onto my HTPC so I can play them after HD DVD's demise is total. It seems rather confusing so far. I dont have that many though and am just ripping them all to the HDD with any dvd HD trial.

That was my plan also but I have over 50 titles and the 30 day trial just wasn't long enough (I had other things to do). Then found DumpHD does the job fine since there are no new keys coming out I can take my time doing the backing up. And it's more flexible than makemkv

Mike Chen
5th March 2009, 09:50
I love your app so far but... The comment above almost made me laugh. You want to "free" the proprietary content to only 1 specific format MKV???? Funny since many players support m2ts format already, which is similar to MKV just a wrapper. Granted that MakeMKV can decode encrypted disk which is the actual "freeing" part of the whole process... But it truely is silly to say "MakeMKV is an unlocker that opens all the things you can do with a video file" when the only thing you can do with it is make a MKV... Also there isn't "just another ripper" when Blu-ray and HDDVD is concerned. If you are trying to break into the DVD market? Why? I still to this day use DVDShrink...

Hey I am more then willing to use MKV format on my HTPC. There are many other uses for direct access to the "ripped" content. Subtitles are one aspect. Since MKV does not support .sup subitles we have to rip/transcode with MakeMKV, then rerip the subtitles and OCR them, then merge them back to the MKV.

While I don't think MakeMKV should have to support .sup conversion to .srt or other text based subtitles, it would be nice to avoid the need to use more tools to re-rip the subtitles when it could just as easily be done with MakeMKV

In all honesty, I personally would rather have a tool like DVDShrink where I can edit out extras etc easily, decryption is not a priority for me since I already have AnyDVD. The ability to convert to MKV is nice as well.

I know some here won't like it but why reinvent the wheel and spend time programing something that another piece of software does really well? When blu-ray ripping/reauthoring tools are still in their infancy?
We are talking about different things. MKV format is free in a sense that it is unpatented and well documented. Players adopt MKV for a reason. In addition MKV is very extensible - for example MKV file produced from blu-ray may contain named chapters while m2ts can't have chapters by definition.

setarip_old
5th March 2009, 09:55
@lchiiu7Then found DumpHD does the jobDoes that program require any hardware modifications?

setarip_old
5th March 2009, 09:59
@Mike Chen

If I may ask, how is the VC-1 fix coming along?

Any idea when a new release, including that fix, might arrive?

lchiu7
5th March 2009, 10:01
@lchiiu7Does that program require any hardware modifications?

Well it depends. This was my situation

DumpHD didn't work at first since the LG player (and this is not technical) said the keys used by AACSKEYS had been revoked

It worked if AACS keys have been published

I could use Dumpvid which did work - kept polling the drive when playing a BD title and trapped the key. Then DumpHD worked okay

However I have a bunch of HD-DVD's and my version of PDVD7 that came with my LG drive cannot play so I could not use Dumpvid

So in the end flashed the drive with new firmware (is that a hardware modification) and now I can use DumpHD for pretty much any BD or HD-DVD title apart from those with MKBv9 keys. For those I would then use makemkv only as a last resort.

sxotty
5th March 2009, 12:37
That was my plan also but I have over 50 titles and the 30 day trial just wasn't long enough (I had other things to do). Then found DumpHD does the job fine since there are no new keys coming out I can take my time doing the backing up. And it's more flexible than makemkv

What is the best plan in your opinion?

Rip to HDD, Rip to image, remove AACS or keep it?

I just want to be able to play my HD-DVD for the forseeable future. I started by ripping to HDD and removing AACS, but then the last one I did and ISO w/o copy protection, and now I am thinking that maybe the best is to leave AACS in b/c dont most players refuse to play a HD DVD w/o AACS?

edit:
And I only have like 12 discs and 4 are planet earth :)

lchiu7
5th March 2009, 20:50
What is the best plan in your opinion?

Rip to HDD, Rip to image, remove AACS or keep it?

I just want to be able to play my HD-DVD for the forseeable future. I started by ripping to HDD and removing AACS, but then the last one I did and ISO w/o copy protection, and now I am thinking that maybe the best is to leave AACS in b/c dont most players refuse to play a HD DVD w/o AACS?

edit:
And I only have like 12 discs and 4 are planet earth :)

Backup to HDD, possibly compress or not (HDD space is so cheap these days), of course remove AACS.

Since my main media player is a Popcorn hour which doesn't support HDMI 1.3 so no lossless audio, I have been experimenting with backing to HD, retaining lossless audio (when it exists - not many HD-DVD's with TrueHD) and authoring the content to AVCHD format to play on the PS3.

Still don't know how to handle DD+ though since apparently the way DD+ is stored on HD-DVD is not the same as on BD (so in the m2ts format) so you cannot just take the DD+ stream and mux it back with the VC1 stream. Current process is to convert to 640Kb DD which I guess is fine.

I just picked up 4 more HD-DVD's at $5 :)

Sukrim
6th March 2009, 00:40
is it possible to choose an option in the program to include dvd's menu as well into the resulting mkv ?

I'd love that function too, but since menu support on Matroska is (nearly) inexistent (at least there's no player that can play the menus...) and Matroska 2.0 should "soon(tm)" be revealed with proper Menu support I'd rather wait and hope that in ~1 year we can finally fully convert a whole DVD to mkv without losing anything other than the copy-protection.

Until then I'm going to wait and still archive my DVDs as ISO, even though it hurts a bit inside to have this great container but noone seems to want/insist on that feature which for me is crucial I'd say.

drfix
7th March 2009, 05:37
Hi all,

I tried to use MakeMKV on The Forbidden Kingdom for Region A seems to be MKBv8 ( according to aacskeys 0.4.0 output when running it against BD ISO created with PS3 LINUX )

Program can't open that disk for me ( Win XP SP2 + UDF 2.5 Driver, can "see" BD via ISO Virtual Clone ).

Did anybody try MakeMKV with this particular BD ?

I also try to run Volume ID via Blu-Ray Ripper 1.5, which claims to be able to work with Multiple CPS Unit Keys, but it claims on m2ts file number 4 Volume ID is incorrect.

And DumpHD doesn't support Multiple CPS Unit Keys, so it creates an useless output.

I am not looking for any fancy features, just to be able to get m2ts I can play directly ( didn't quiet understand if MakeMKV can just decrypt m2ts files ? ).

Don't have BD and PC, so can't use DumpVID.

If anybody is aware of any solutions other than AnyDVD for < MKBv9 discs, maybe with Multiple CPS Unit Keys or got this program to work on BD ISO image, let me know.

Regards

drfix

setarip_old
7th March 2009, 06:59
@drfix

Hi!

See my response to your other, essentially duplicate, post:

http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?p=1258535&postcount=306

avih
7th March 2009, 11:57
Hi all,

I tried to use MakeMKV on The Forbidden Kingdom for Region A seems to be MKBv8 ( according to aacskeys 0.4.0 output when running it against BD ISO created with PS3 LINUX )

Program can't open that disk for me ( Win XP SP2 + UDF 2.5 Driver, can "see" BD via ISO Virtual Clone ).

Did anybody try MakeMKV with this particular BD ?

I also try to run Volume ID via Blu-Ray Ripper 1.5, which claims to be able to work with Multiple CPS Unit Keys, but it claims on m2ts file number 4 Volume ID is incorrect.

And DumpHD doesn't support Multiple CPS Unit Keys, so it creates an useless output.

I am not looking for any fancy features, just to be able to get m2ts I can play directly ( didn't quiet understand if MakeMKV can just decrypt m2ts files ? ).

Don't have BD and PC, so can't use DumpVID.

If anybody is aware of any solutions other than AnyDVD for < MKBv9 discs, maybe with Multiple CPS Unit Keys or got this program to work on BD ISO image, let me know.

Regards

drfix

drfix, please refrain from opening any more threads with your question. That's the 3rd time you post the same question and that's against the forum rules which I'm sure you've read. That's what your strike is for. Now wait and hope for someone to answer you and that's it.

drfix
7th March 2009, 16:29
Hi setarip_old, avih,

sorry about cross-posting.

In the future, I will keep questions here strictly MakeMKV related.

drfix

Mike Chen
8th March 2009, 10:33
Hi all,

Raw ISO file alone does not contain all necessary information needed to decrypt the disc. In addition to ISO you need either VUK (volume key) or VID (volume ID) for the disc. Either one can be passed to MakeMKV.

dirio49
8th March 2009, 21:29
testing it out on my Saw V unrated directors cut DVD.
it does not see the movie as a dvd, but as data

FAILURE: Code 0 at 41)ea%@3:K=Y!m6}:121266350
FAILURE: Code 0 at 41)ea%@3:K=Y!m6}:213134929
FAILURE: Code 0 at 41)ea%@3:K=Y!m6}:213132169
FAILURE: Code 0 at 41)ea%@3:K=Y!m6}:121263659
FAILURE: Code 0 at 41)ea%@3:K=Y!m6}:213132169
FAILURE: Code 0 at 41)ea%@3:K=Y!m6}:121263659

i have to open it as harddrive. but doing open file.
later

log for open file Opening dvd files on harddrive at E:/VIDEO_TS/
Calculated BUP offset does not match one in IFO header.
Titleset start sector mismatch for titleset 1 : 148 != 103355
Titleset start sector mismatch for titleset 2 : 2660119 != 2763326
Titleset start sector mismatch for titleset 3 : 2794834 != 2898041
Titleset start sector mismatch for titleset 4 : 2915591 != 3018798
Titleset start sector mismatch for titleset 5 : 3049137 != 3152344
Titleset start sector mismatch for titleset 6 : 3326083 != 3429290
Titleset start sector mismatch for titleset 7 : 3443508 != 3546715
Titleset start sector mismatch for titleset 8 : 3452923 != 3556130
Titleset start sector mismatch for titleset 9 : 3485976 != 3589183
Titleset start sector mismatch for titleset 10 : 3519029 != 3622236
Titleset start sector mismatch for titleset 11 : 3567522 != 3670729
Titleset start sector mismatch for titleset 12 : 3612100 != 3715307
Titleset start sector mismatch for titleset 13 : 3656428 != 3759635
Titleset start sector mismatch for titleset 14 : 3701313 != 3804520
Titleset start sector mismatch for titleset 15 : 3725524 != 3828731
Titleset start sector mismatch for titleset 16 : 3775715 != 3878922
Titleset start sector mismatch for titleset 17 : 3824388 != 3927595
Titleset start sector mismatch for titleset 18 : 3826273 != 3929480
Titleset start sector mismatch for titleset 19 : 3836910 != 3940117
Titleset start sector mismatch for titleset 20 : 3838380 != 3941587
Titleset start sector mismatch for titleset 21 : 3849017 != 3952224
Titleset start sector mismatch for titleset 22 : 3849102 != 3952309
Titleset start sector mismatch for titleset 23 : 3874755 != 3977962
Titleset start sector mismatch for titleset 24 : 3898866 != 4002073
Titleset start sector mismatch for titleset 25 : 3980729 != 4083936
Titleset start sector mismatch for titleset 26 : 3988098 != 4091305
Cell 1 was discarded (structure protection?)
FAILURE: Code 10551308 at w+e:?dj~C*m0=P4?:121266051
FAILURE: Code 0 at tbA^bM@}vv.EC\2:213131019
CellWallk algorithm failed (structure protection is too though?), trying CellTrim algorithm
Cells 1-6 were removed form title start
Cells 32-35 were removed form title end
Title #0 was added (25 cell(s), 1:34:44)
Title #1 was added (2 cell(s), 0:05:47)
Title #2 was added (2 cell(s), 0:05:12)
Title #3 was added (2 cell(s), 0:05:44)
Title #4 was added (2 cell(s), 0:11:54)
Title #5 was added (2 cell(s), 0:05:02)
Title #6 has length of 49 seconds which is less then minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #7 has length of 101 seconds which is less then minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #8 has length of 101 seconds which is less then minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #9 was added (2 cell(s), 0:02:28)
Title #10 was added (2 cell(s), 0:02:17)
Title #11 was added (2 cell(s), 0:02:16)
Title #12 was added (2 cell(s), 0:02:18)
Title #13 has length of 74 seconds which is less then minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #14 was added (2 cell(s), 0:02:34)
Title #15 was added (2 cell(s), 0:02:30)
Title #16 has length of 14 seconds which is less then minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #17 has length of 23 seconds which is less then minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #18 has length of 9 seconds which is less then minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #19 has length of 23 seconds which is less then minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #20 has length of 5 seconds which is less then minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #21 (0:00:00) was skipped
Title #22 was added (1 cell(s), 0:28:40)
Title #23 with special attributes was skipped
Title #24 was added (1 cell(s), 0:08:45)
Title #25 (0:00:00) was skipped
Cells 2-end were skipped due to cell commands (structure protection?)
Title #26 (0:00:00) was skipped
Title #27 (0:00:00) was skipped
Title #28 (0:00:00) was skipped
Operation sucessfully completed

drfix
10th March 2009, 03:58
Hi Mike,

regarding "In addition to ISO you need either VUK (volume key) or VID (volume ID) for the disc. Either one can be passed to MakeMKV."

I do have Volume ID ( it looks like ISO taken with PS3 LINUX does retain correct Volume ID ), but I didn't quiet figure out how to pass it to MakeMKV. Under View, Preferences, AACS, there is a place to select directory, but not much mentioned about file format used if this is even correct.

If I just run it, I get message about VUK unknown. Not sure if it's ok to paste the whole error message here ?

I am using Windows Version via GUI, have UDF 2.5 driver and I can run MakeMKV just fine if AnyDVD is running in background.

Let me know what would be the way to pass Volume ID to the program and I will give it a shot.

Regards

drfix

setarip_old
11th March 2009, 03:15
@Mike Chen

I was eager to try out the new, improved VC-1 capabilities of version 1.03_B778.

Unfortunately, it appears to be essentially non-functional regarding VC-1 BluRay discs.

Approximately halfway through the first pass analysis, the reading of titles slows to about 100Kb/s.

After selecting the titles to be copied, the program "hangs" momentarily and the continues to crawl at a "0" rate, perhaps averaging 10Kb/s.

I checked the same two discs with your previous version (1.03_B722) and it functioned properly, at a normal pace (approximately 30 minutes for the entire disc).

Please advise.

Sagekilla
12th March 2009, 01:42
Thanks for the tool, Mike ;)

Worked flawlessly and took no extra tricks or anything to get my Blu-ray copy of Iron man to rip. I didn't like having to use as many as 4 different things (which didn't even work!) just rip my movie, but yours worked without any hiccups!

gonwk
12th March 2009, 01:50
Hi folks,

From Mike's web page this tool is NOT a FREEWARE ... only while being tested :D by various folks from different Forums!:sly:

G!:confused:

setarip_old
12th March 2009, 03:26
@gonwk

That's already and always has been common knowledge.

Read the initial post to this thread:The program is currently freeware but some functionality will become trialware in future while some wil stay free forever.

drfix
12th March 2009, 05:41
Hi Mike,

I still have no luck trying to read ISO image of BD-ROM created with PS3 LINUX.

I tried to mount ISO via Virtual Clone and also point MakeMKV to ISO file itself. This is the message I get when pointing it to ISO :

The volume key is unknown for this disc - video can't be decrypted
FAILURE: Code 0 at 0+<#\#G}+7VmTM(::121262141
FAILURE: Code 0 at 0+<#\#G}+7VmTM(::121262394
Failed to open disc

I know ISO is ok, because it works under AnyDVD, can be played with various Media Players as well as read by MakeMKV.

Message is slightly different when mounted under Virtual Clone, but the result is the same.

Not sure if there is a way to pass Disc ID to the tool, I know what it is. Using Windows XP SP2 + UDF 2.5 driver + MakeMKV 1.3 778

Regards

drfix

setarip_old
12th March 2009, 06:19
@drfix

Have you tried the following (I think it will work)?:

1) Mount the ISO image file and run "AnyDVD HD"

2) Select "Copy DVD" and copy a decrypted version of the BluRay "package" to your hard drive

3) Use IMGBurn to convert the hard drive "package" to a new UNprotected .ISO image file

4) Mount the new .ISO image file and use MakeMKV to create an .MKV file

setarip_old
12th March 2009, 06:24
@Sagekilla

Hi!

1) Does the "Ironman" BluRay disc contain a VC-1 videostream?

2) What version of "MakeMKV" did you use?

3) Did you playback the MKV of the movie? If so, did it stutter?

Sagekilla
12th March 2009, 06:41
No, Iron Man is AVC encoded. I used the latest (1.3, build 778) on the website. And no, I didn't get any stuttering either.

Like I said, the rip to my drive went through flawlessly. I did a rip of the Serenity Blu-ray (VC-1 encoded) and it also went through without a hiccup. No problems playing it back either.

setarip_old
12th March 2009, 06:55
@SagekillaI did a rip of the Serenity Blu-ray (VC-1 encoded) and it also went through without a hiccup. No problems playing it back either.Mysterious - Looks like I'll have to purchase a couple of more VC-1 releases...

May I ask what brand and model number of BD-ROM (or burner) do you have?

Sagekilla
12th March 2009, 06:56
A vanilla Sony BDU-10XS. Nothing special, just a little over a year old now.

setarip_old
12th March 2009, 06:59
@Sagekilla

Thanks for the info ;>}

Mike Chen
12th March 2009, 09:34
@Mike Chen

I was eager to try out the new, improved VC-1 capabilities of version 1.03_B778.

Unfortunately, it appears to be essentially non-functional regarding VC-1 BluRay discs.

Approximately halfway through the first pass analysis, the reading of titles slows to about 100Kb/s.

After selecting the titles to be copied, the program "hangs" momentarily and the continues to crawl at a "0" rate, perhaps averaging 10Kb/s.

I checked the same two discs with your previous version (1.03_B722) and it functioned properly, at a normal pace (approximately 30 minutes for the entire disc).

Please advise.
This sounds bad. Can you please try to grab decrypted ISO and then open it with MakeMKV - I wonder if it is a drive or data problem. Are you sure it shows only on VC-1 discs?

Mike Chen
12th March 2009, 09:38
Hi Mike,

I still have no luck trying to read ISO image of BD-ROM created with PS3 LINUX.

I tried to mount ISO via Virtual Clone and also point MakeMKV to ISO file itself. This is the message I get when pointing it to ISO :

FAILURE: Code 0 at 0+<#\#G}+7VmTM(::121262141
FAILURE: Code 0 at 0+<#\#G}+7VmTM(::121262394
Failed to open disc

I know ISO is ok, because it works under AnyDVD, can be played with various Media Players as well as read by MakeMKV.

Message is slightly different when mounted under Virtual Clone, but the result is the same.

Not sure if there is a way to pass Disc ID to the tool, I know what it is. Using Windows XP SP2 + UDF 2.5 driver + MakeMKV 1.3 778

Regards

drfix
The AACS volume id is a different thing from disc volume id. Your best bet is to find VUK for your disc. MakeMKV reads text VUK files in any format. Try to save entire "post your volume keys" thread from this forum into text or html file(s) and set "AACS key" directory in MakeMKV preferences to point to the folder where you saved the text files - ISO will open if VUK is there.

Sagekilla
13th March 2009, 00:09
@Mike, setarip_old: I found that issue regarding VC-1 discs ripping very slowly. I just tried ripping a copy of "The Dark Knight" (Blu-ray, VC-1 encoded) and it's only reading at ~100 KB/s.

Any thoughts with regards to what I can do to fix this?

setarip_old
13th March 2009, 01:11
@Sagekilla

Thanks for confirming this, as I haven't had a chance to hunt down and purchase more VC-1 BluRay discs.

Since you had no problem with the "Serenity" VC-1 BluRay disc, while we both have now had problems with other VC-1 titles, I wonder if the problem could be related to postings in the "BR-RB" sub-sub-forum here - namely a difference in processing "standard" 1080p VC-1 BluRays versus (IIRC) 1080i VC-1 BluRays?

Since I don't have/use AnyDVD HD, I'm not in a position to do as requested by "Mike Chen", namely: Can you please try to grab decrypted ISO and then open it with MakeMKV - I wonder if it is a drive or data problem.Can YOU do this for "Mike Chen" (actually, for all of us)?

drfix
13th March 2009, 01:25
Hi setarip_old,

I tried 1-4 and that was is working. I was hoping I can get away w/o using AnyDVD though.

Hi Mike,

Obviously, it's clear to me now how to format file with keys.

VUK isn't posted in forum, but you mentioned "In addition to ISO you need either VUK (volume key) or VID (volume ID) for the disc."

is there a way to calculate VID from ISO image ?

Regards

drfix

setarip_old
13th March 2009, 01:26
@Mike Chen

The previously noted gross slowdown/"standstill" problem regarding VC-1 titles appears to occur right after the following message appears in the log window:Stream #10 of type 'LPCM-HD audio' in file 00026.m2ts was skipped, since it is not supported in BETA version

Is this merely a coincidence, or is there some correlation?

**EDIT**This does NOT appear to be limited to VC-1 titles.

Build 778 exhibits the same problematic behavior with "Tropic Thunder", which is listed as "Details: BD-50, MPEG-4 AVC"(H.264).

Build 722 is, as I write this, happily chugging along at full speed toward creating an .MKV ;>}

Please advise

setarip_old
13th March 2009, 02:55
@drfixHi setarip_old,
I tried 1-4 and that was is working.You're welcome ;>}

Sagekilla
13th March 2009, 03:27
Well, both my sources are 1080p VC-1, so I don't see what the difference is between the two that would cause one to rip @ 100 kb/s.

setarip_old
13th March 2009, 03:46
@Sagekilla

As I requested before, regarding your "Dark Knight" BluRay:

Since I don't have/use AnyDVD HD, I'm not in a position to do as requested by "Mike Chen", namely:

Can you please try to grab decrypted ISO and then open it with MakeMKV - I wonder if it is a drive or data problem.

Can YOU do this for "Mike Chen" (actually, for all of us)?

setarip_old
13th March 2009, 23:53
@Mike Chen

All of the following BluRay discs exhibit the "slow to a crawl/nil" syndrome ONLY with v.1.03Build778:

The Dark Knight (VC-1)
Troy (VC-1)
300 (VC-1)
Tropic Thunder (AVC/H.264)
Crash (2005) (MPEG-2)
Changeling (VC-1)
Enchanted (AVC/H264)
The Express (VC-1)

To reiterate: The previous version of MakeMKV, v.1.03Build722, rips through these in the "normal" rapid manner...

Surely you can obtain one of them to help track down the reason for this bug...

Sagekilla
14th March 2009, 02:36
I'm in the process of ripping it right now with MakeMKV as I don't own a copy of AnyDVD HD, nor have any other methods worked for me when it comes to ripping Blu-ray movies.

I can get you decrypted ISO in a day or two ;)

evdberg
14th March 2009, 13:52
Does anybody know how to supply a VID to MakeMKV? I made a keyfile folder and put the VID in a textfile, but the app is still complaining it can not read the VID from the disc.
Also, what are the valid switches for the commandline version of this app? There does not seem to be any documentation of it!

setarip_old
14th March 2009, 17:23
@evdberg

Hi!

If it's an original BluRay disc OTHER THAN A BD+ (Only Fox is using BD+?), you shouldn't need a key. If it's an original BD+ BluRay disc, "MakeMKV" cannot rip it.

If it's an original HD-DVD with VC-1 video, "MakeMKV" cannot rip it.

What is the title and format of your original disc?

Sagekilla
14th March 2009, 19:35
Regarding BD+ titles, what's the recommended way to rip them aside from AnyDVD HD?

setarip_old
14th March 2009, 19:52
@SagekillaRegarding BD+ titles, what's the recommended way to rip them aside from AnyDVD HD?

I, for one, am not aware of any alternative for BD+ discs...

loo3aem3ON
14th March 2009, 20:04
Have a look at this site: forum.doom9.org. Some of the doom9 members recently have reverse engineered the BD+ virtual machine. You may want to try tools the BDVM Debugger, libbluray and DumpHD.

Interesting threads you might want to look at:
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=140571
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=123111
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=145249

:helpful:

evdberg
14th March 2009, 21:07
What is the title and format of your original disc?
It's Within Temptation - Black Symphony ... a MKB V9 disk. As said, MakeMKV complains that it can not read the VID from the disk, and I read that you can supply it somehow to MakeMKV, but since there is almost no documentation, I have no idea how. I have a patched LG drive, so I did already read the VID manually. It's a bit strange the app does not use the AACS bypass to read the VID, but that's a different story.

setarip_old
14th March 2009, 21:14
@evdberg

1) Is it also a BD+ disc?
I ask because "Mike Chen" has stated that MakeMKV can rip ALL BluRays, including up to MKB V12 - but cannot rip discs containing BD+.

2) What version of MakeMKV are you using?
I ask because some of us have had problems with ONLY the latest version 1.03Build778

3) The answer to your question was posted earlier in this thread by "Mike Chen":The AACS volume id is a different thing from disc volume id. Your best bet is to find VUK for your disc. MakeMKV reads text VUK files in any format. Try to save entire "post your volume keys" thread from this forum into text or html file(s) and set "AACS key" directory in MakeMKV preferences to point to the folder where you saved the text files - ISO will open if VUK is there.

Sagekilla
15th March 2009, 05:49
Mike Chen, is there anything that can be done about delay present in any of the audio or video tracks?

I tried muxing x264 encoded video along with the original AC3 track from one of my Blu-rays (Iron Man) and I end up with the audio consistently delayed behind the main video by a few hundred milliseconds. Any ideas for how I can get the delay information from either the mkv or through your tool?

evdberg
15th March 2009, 10:30
@setarip_old,
I do not want to be rude, I appreciate your help, but your questions are not helping me to find the answers to my questions. I just want to know how to pass an AACS Volume ID to MakeMKV. As said, there is no documentation on this subject, except that Mike Chen has mentioned that it is possible. Also I like to know what the commandline switches are, because again there is no documentation on this subject.
The answers: 1) No. 2) Build 722. 3) I have the AACS Volume ID.

Sagekilla
15th March 2009, 16:36
evdberg, he just told you how: View -> Preferences -> AACS -> Key files directory.

evdberg
15th March 2009, 17:01
@Sagekilla,
As I wrote in my 1st post, I already tried that and it does not work. Maybe I do something wrong, but because of lack of documentation or any working example I have no idea what.

setarip_old
15th March 2009, 20:23
@Mike Chen

I believe the problem with v.1.03 Build778 may lie with the (apparently) new "LIBDRIVEIO.DLL"...

*UPDATE* - Also "crawls/nil" with both unmounted decrypted ISO image file and mounted decrypted ISO image file.

Mike Chen
17th March 2009, 09:32
@Mike Chen

I believe the problem with v.1.03 Build778 may lie with the (apparently) new "LIBDRIVEIO.DLL"...

*UPDATE* - Also "crawls/nil" with both unmounted decrypted ISO image file and mounted decrypted ISO image file.
It has nothing to do with libdriveio. Ironically the error was introduced by an attempt to make read speed faster. The latest build 779 has an update that removes the "crawl" problem.

Mike Chen
17th March 2009, 09:47
@setarip_old,
I just want to know how to pass an AACS Volume ID to MakeMKV. As said, there is no documentation on this subject, except that Mike Chen has mentioned that it is possible. Also I like to know what the commandline switches are, because again there is no documentation on this subject.

Passing VID is arcane magic, at least until we release libdriveio sources under LGPL and that should happen quite soon. You can indeed pass the VID, but only if you are opening "files on hard drive", not ISO. If you only have ISO file then you can extract all files from it by cddump.exe tool that is part of MakeMKV package. Assuming you have blu-ray files in some folder, you need to create a binary file called "diskatt.dat" in that folder. The file size must be 24 bytes. The first 8 bytes must be 04 00 00 80 00 00 00 10 , the next 16 bytes must be binary VID. It all makes sense but is too long to explain why :) If you have original disc you can dump all disc attributes including VID using following command: "cddump.exe a DRIVEID d diskatt.dat" where DRIVEID is your single-digit drive number reported by "cddump.exe l" command.

makemkvcon.exe and cddump.exe print their usage information if called without any parameters. makemkv.exe takes no command-line options.

Kurtnoise
17th March 2009, 10:33
I've a question concerning HD subtitles. Which player is able to play back those streams with S_HDMV/PGS as CodecID ? It seems that the haali splitter is able to split it but which renderer ? and these specs have been validated by the Matroska Team yet ?

evdberg
17th March 2009, 19:18
Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply.

Passing VID is arcane magic, at least until we release libdriveio sources under LGPL and that should happen quite soon. You can indeed pass the VID, but only if you are opening "files on hard drive", not ISO.
I have nothing on the hard drive, I have the original disc. Ofcourse I can copy everything to the hard drive, but that sounds silly without decrypting it at the same time.

If you only have ISO file then you can extract all files from it by cddump.exe tool that is part of MakeMKV package. Assuming you have blu-ray files in some folder, you need to create a binary file called "diskatt.dat" in that folder. The file size must be 24 bytes. The first 8 bytes must be 04 00 00 80 00 00 00 10 , the next 16 bytes must be binary VID. It all makes sense but is too long to explain why :) If you have original disc you can dump all disc attributes including VID using following command: "cddump.exe a DRIVEID d diskatt.dat" where DRIVEID is your single-digit drive number reported by "cddump.exe l" command.
I just tried this, and I got the following error:

Warning -- AACS VID was not extraced from blu-ray disk
Warning -- AACS KCD was not extraced from blu-ray disk

makemkvcon.exe and cddump.exe print their usage information if called without any parameters. makemkv.exe takes no command-line options.
makemkvcon gives the following:

Use: makemkvcon [switches] Command [Parameters]

Commands:
info <source>
prints info about disc
mkv <source> <title id> <destination folder>
saves a single title to mkv file

Source specification:
iso:<FileName> - open iso image FileName
file:<FolderName> - open files in folder FolderName
disc:<DiscId> - open disc with id <DiscId> (see list Command)

The switches are not explained ...

I am a bit confused. MakeMKV complains that it can't read the VID from the disc (just like cddump), but there is no way to provide the VID to MakeMKV to read from the original disc?

Mike Chen
18th March 2009, 09:02
Hi Mike,

I am a bit confused. MakeMKV complains that it can't read the VID from the disc (just like cddump), but there is no way to provide the VID to MakeMKV to read from the original disc?
It should be able to read VID automatically. Does it give any specific error messages? Please enable "show debug messages" in preferences,restart the program, and try to open disc.

evdberg
18th March 2009, 13:25
@Mike,

Did as you asked, and this is the result:

FAILURE: Code 2 at rIS~%I$w}N4L5D]`*:121262095
FAILURE: Code 0 at 2cCq8J8*@Y!@}90<U[:213129823
FAILURE: Code 1 at 2cCq8J8*@Y!@}90<U[:213129823
FAILURE: Code 2 at 2cCq8J8*@Y!@}90<U[:213129823
FAILURE: Code 3 at 2cCq8J8*@Y!@}90<U[:213129823
FAILURE: Code 4 at 2cCq8J8*@Y!@}90<U[:213129823
Can't read AACS VID from disc - most likely current AACS host certificate is revoked by your drive
FAILURE: Code 0 at 4NOxj\Jn:o# i2qL:121262141
FAILURE: Code 0 at 4NOxj\Jn:o# i2qL:121262440
Failed to open disc

loo3aem3ON
18th March 2009, 13:47
His drive is patched so it will send the volume id even if authentication failed (e.g. due to revocation). Simply ask for the volume id regardless if the authentication was successful or not. Don't invalidate the AGID before that.

Mtz
18th March 2009, 18:35
The latest version 797 of MakeMKV is freezing my PC when I want to set the source. With older versions, no problem.
WindowsXP.

enjoy,
Mtz

setarip_old
18th March 2009, 20:32
@Mtz

Is this what you're talking about?

With Build 797, the initial analysis period APPEARS to be stalled, but look at the timers of both bars. After from 45 seconds to 1 minute, the blocks on the two bars start accumulating - and then the rest of the analysis goes more quickly than earlier version.

On previous versions, the blocks started accumulating almost immediately...

Mtz
18th March 2009, 22:29
Even only closing the program and no other thing done will freeze my PC.

enjoy,
Mtz

setarip_old
18th March 2009, 22:40
@Mtz

I can only tell you that I've encountered no such problem running this version (1.03B797) on a system running XP SP3...

Have you tried it with several different discs, or only one?

setarip_old
19th March 2009, 01:20
@Mike Chen

Hi!

I'm pleased to let you know that v.1.03 Build 797 now appears to properly process BluRay discs containing VC-1 video ;>}

Mtz
30th March 2009, 16:22
Also the problem is with the 778 version. The latest working is 722.
This is the ONLY program installed on my PC with this problem. And I have many installed. Also I have XP SP3.

enjoy,
Mtz

loo3aem3ON
30th March 2009, 22:24
This is the ONLY program installed on my PC with this problem. And I have many installed. Also I have XP SP3.
Doesn't Windows have some kind of logfile which could tell you what happend (e.g. kernel panic)?

Mtz
30th March 2009, 23:23
I can only power off the PC from the button.

enjoy,
Mtz

Mike Chen
31st March 2009, 08:45

enjoy,
Mtz
I wonder if this is a drive problem. Can you try the following - to disable your dvd drive in device manager, start makemkv and see if it will freeze the pc or not. What is your drive model?

lchiu7
31st March 2009, 09:42
Well I encountered a disc with VC1 video and makemkv created a file that is not playable. It seemed to decode the title okay and create a mkv file but when I try to play it on a Popcorn Hour, it's jerky.

The file seems to be broken. Tried to re-encode the file to something smaller using megui (which calls x264) and x264 just hangs. mkvtoolnix can't demux the VC1 video either.

Mtz
31st March 2009, 09:45
Drive Information
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: DVDRAM GSA-H10N
Revision: JL11
Firmware date: 2006-05-19 12:34:56

Daemon Tools (with 4 virtual drives)
Virtual Clone Drive

MakeMKV Version 797

First I disabled the dvd drive. The freezing come after about 1 minute. Then I was trying to reduce the numbers of daemon virtual drives. That seems to work for another few minutes.
Installing 772, enabling again the LG DVD Drive. Things work correct.
Installing again 797, disabling LG, and now MakeMKV even can't start and this is the error:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-16"?>
<DATABASE>
<EXE NAME="makemkvcon.exe" FILTER="GRABMI_FILTER_PRIVACY">
<MATCHING_FILE NAME="cddump.exe" SIZE="155648" CHECKSUM="0xE892A789" MODULE_TYPE="WIN32" PE_CHECKSUM="0x273BA" LINKER_VERSION="0x0" LINK_DATE="03/17/2009 02:15:29" UPTO_LINK_DATE="03/17/2009 02:15:29" />
<MATCHING_FILE NAME="driveio.dll" SIZE="18432" CHECKSUM="0xF1D9A5CC" MODULE_TYPE="WIN32" PE_CHECKSUM="0x10D61" LINKER_VERSION="0x0" LINK_DATE="02/13/2009 08:58:43" UPTO_LINK_DATE="02/13/2009 08:58:43" />
<MATCHING_FILE NAME="libdriveio.dll" SIZE="18432" CHECKSUM="0x825DE218" MODULE_TYPE="WIN32" PE_CHECKSUM="0x108E9" LINKER_VERSION="0x0" LINK_DATE="03/17/2009 02:10:40" UPTO_LINK_DATE="03/17/2009 02:10:40" />
<MATCHING_FILE NAME="libmakemkv.dll" SIZE="183296" CHECKSUM="0x127AA2BB" MODULE_TYPE="WIN32" PE_CHECKSUM="0x2D435" LINKER_VERSION="0x0" LINK_DATE="03/17/2009 02:10:46" UPTO_LINK_DATE="03/17/2009 02:10:46" />
<MATCHING_FILE NAME="makemkv.exe" SIZE="3549184" CHECKSUM="0x876954AC" MODULE_TYPE="WIN32" PE_CHECKSUM="0x36F14F" LINKER_VERSION="0x0" LINK_DATE="03/17/2009 02:18:51" UPTO_LINK_DATE="03/17/2009 02:18:51" />
<MATCHING_FILE NAME="makemkvcon.exe" SIZE="2880000" CHECKSUM="0xC91462D4" MODULE_TYPE="WIN32" PE_CHECKSUM="0x2CECDB" LINKER_VERSION="0x0" LINK_DATE="03/17/2009 02:16:38" UPTO_LINK_DATE="03/17/2009 02:16:38" />
<MATCHING_FILE NAME="mkvdll.dll" SIZE="183808" CHECKSUM="0x410FE53D" MODULE_TYPE="WIN32" PE_CHECKSUM="0x2E9DE" LINKER_VERSION="0x0" LINK_DATE="02/13/2009 08:58:49" UPTO_LINK_DATE="02/13/2009 08:58:49" />
<MATCHING_FILE NAME="uninst.exe" SIZE="65302" CHECKSUM="0xAB0678E0" MODULE_TYPE="WIN32" PE_CHECKSUM="0x0" LINKER_VERSION="0x0" LINK_DATE="05/03/2008 14:08:42" UPTO_LINK_DATE="05/03/2008 14:08:42" />
</EXE>
<EXE NAME="libdriveio.dll" FILTER="GRABMI_FILTER_THISFILEONLY">
<MATCHING_FILE NAME="libdriveio.dll" SIZE="18432" CHECKSUM="0x825DE218" MODULE_TYPE="WIN32" PE_CHECKSUM="0x108E9" LINKER_VERSION="0x0" LINK_DATE="03/17/2009 02:10:40" UPTO_LINK_DATE="03/17/2009 02:10:40" />
</EXE>
<EXE NAME="kernel32.dll" FILTER="GRABMI_FILTER_THISFILEONLY">
<MATCHING_FILE NAME="kernel32.dll" SIZE="989696" CHECKSUM="0x7D737C09" BIN_FILE_VERSION="5.1.2600.5512" BIN_PRODUCT_VERSION="5.1.2600.5512" PRODUCT_VERSION="5.1.2600.5512" FILE_DESCRIPTION="Windows NT BASE API Client DLL" COMPANY_NAME="Microsoft Corporation" PRODUCT_NAME="Microsoft® Windows® Operating System" FILE_VERSION="5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)" ORIGINAL_FILENAME="kernel32" INTERNAL_NAME="kernel32" LEGAL_COPYRIGHT="© Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved." VERFILEDATEHI="0x0" VERFILEDATELO="0x0" VERFILEOS="0x40004" VERFILETYPE="0x2" MODULE_TYPE="WIN32" PE_CHECKSUM="0xF44A2" LINKER_VERSION="0x50001" UPTO_BIN_FILE_VERSION="5.1.2600.5512" UPTO_BIN_PRODUCT_VERSION="5.1.2600.5512" LINK_DATE="04/14/2008 00:11:24" UPTO_LINK_DATE="04/14/2008 00:11:24" VER_LANGUAGE="English (United States) [0x409]" />
</EXE>
</DATABASE>

The last setup was Virtual Clone Drive and 2 devices from Daemon.

enjoy,
Mtz

loo3aem3ON
31st March 2009, 12:50
Drive Information
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: DVDRAM GSA-H10N
Revision: JL11
Firmware date: 2006-05-19 12:34:56
Is this drive executing the original firmware? Your manufacturer string looks like a LG drive in safe mode. :confused:

Inspector.Gadget
31st March 2009, 14:19
Well I encountered a disc with VC1 video and makemkv created a file that is not playable. It seemed to decode the title okay and create a mkv file but when I try to play it on a Popcorn Hour, it's jerky.

The file seems to be broken. Tried to re-encode the file to something smaller using megui (which calls x264) and x264 just hangs. mkvtoolnix can't demux the VC1 video either.

Are you using ffdshow to decode VC1? Don't. Use the WMVideo Decoder DMO.

Mtz
31st March 2009, 14:56
Is this drive executing the original firmware? Your manufacturer string looks like a LG drive in safe mode. :confused:

If a DVD is working with all programs except 2 versions of one program, I think is not the DVD fault.

enjoy,
Mtz

lchiu7
31st March 2009, 21:08
Are you using ffdshow to decode VC1? Don't. Use the WMVideo Decoder DMO.

No - I am trying to play on a Popcorn Hour.

I tried all kinds of strategies to fix the file. In the end passed the file from makemkv through Handbrake and re-encoded the video at a lower bit rate and now it plays fine.

But I know it's not a bit rate issue since I have put full BD titles on a HD with no compression and the Popcorn plays them fine from a USB drive. I think it's a problem with Makemkv and VC1 video

setarip_old
1st April 2009, 00:03
@lchiu7Well I encountered a disc with VC1 video and makemkv created a file that is not playable.What's the title of this disc? (Is it BluRay or HD-DVD?)

lchiu7
1st April 2009, 01:16
@lchiu7What's the title of this disc? (Is it BluRay or HD-DVD?)

BR - Body of Lies (region B)

But once I ran the file through handbrake and configured it to be 720P and a lower bitrate, it played fine.

I don't use makemkv much (don't like the fact that it produces an output format that is not that flexible) so I can't comment much on whether this is a one off or normal behaviour for VC1 video

Mike Chen
8th April 2009, 10:07
His drive is patched so it will send the volume id even if authentication failed (e.g. due to revocation). Simply ask for the volume id regardless if the authentication was successful or not. Don't invalidate the AGID before that.
This is implemented in latest version - 1.4.0 .

setarip_old
8th April 2009, 14:19
@Mike Chen

Hi!

Would you please post a link for downloading v.1.40? It doesn't appear to be available for download at the makeMKV website.

Thanks.

*EDIT** - The file IS available from your dowload page - However, it is mislabeled as being the previous 1.3b797 version...

Mike Chen
9th April 2009, 10:04
*EDIT** - The file IS available from your dowload page - However, it is mislabeled as being the previous 1.3b797 version...
Strnage. Did you try to shift-refresh the download page?

In other news - MakeMKV for linux is available for download. :)

setarip_old
9th April 2009, 14:24
Did you try to shift-refresh the download page?Yes I did...

avivahl
9th April 2009, 22:12
@Mike Chen

Hi!

Would you please post a link for downloading v.1.40? It doesn't appear to be available for download at the makeMKV website.

Thanks.

http://www.makemkv.com/download/Setup_MakeMKV_v1.4.0_beta_x86.exe
Taken directly from: http://www.makemkv.com/download/

tu
9th April 2009, 22:18
@Mike

I tried with POC1 (vc1) and getting an error out of memory. POC3 works fine and POC2 took 6 hours to analyse

Regards,
David

setarip_old
9th April 2009, 23:06
@Mike Chen

Glad to see you've now fixed the label for the download link in the "Revision History" page ;>}

kkloster21
10th April 2009, 00:02
@ Mike Chen -

I tried the linux version on a MKBv12 disc with VC-1 video and got an error. I'm not sure that it's a problem with makemkv but i haven't had any problems with VC-1 discs using other software. here is the error i got when trying to play it in mplayer:

VIDEO: [WVC1] 1920x1080 24bpp 23.976 fps 0.0 kbps ( 0.0 kbyte/s)
==========================================================================
Forced video codec: ffvc1
Opening video decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg's libavcodec codec family
[vc1 @ 0xc2c2e0]Incomplete extradata
Could not open codec.
VDecoder init failed :(
Cannot find codec matching selected -vo and video format 0x31435657.
Read DOCS/HTML/en/codecs.html!
==========================================================================

the [vc1 @ 0xc2c2e0]Incomplete extradata part makes me think that makemkv might somehow be writing the video extradata (or something) incorrectly. can anyone else verify this error?

i should mention though that throughout the process of ripping and creating the video file, makemkv ran smoothly and was easy to use (and successfully created the video file)! nice transition to linux Mike & Co.!

miklg21
11th April 2009, 19:44
I just wanted to say that I really like this program. It does exactly what I need.
Out of all my movies I am having trouble converting three to .MKV with MakeMKV. The movies are Troy, Wedding Crashers and Starwars a new hope. I rip the whole dvd with DVDfab then with DVDshrink I save just the main movie in .ISO form.
This is the message I end up with.

Using direct disc access mode
Title #0 was added (47 cell(s), 2:42:15)
Saving 1 titles into directory C:/Documents and Settings/michael/Desktop
Failed to save title 0 to file C:/Documents and Settings/michael/Desktop/title00.mkv
0 titles saved, 1 failed

Anyone have this happen? Even if I put the DVD in the drive and make MakeMKV do everything I end up with the same issue.

Mtz
11th April 2009, 20:28
Version 1.4.0 is working correct on my PC and not freezing/crashing the windows.

enjoy,
Mtz

Mike Chen
13th April 2009, 09:39
I just wanted to say that I really like this program. It does exactly what I need.
Out of all my movies I am having trouble converting three to .MKV with MakeMKV. The movies are Troy, Wedding Crashers and Starwars a new hope.
Are you sure that you have the last version? Errors related to these specific titles were corrected in 1.4.0 . Regardless, please enable "show debug output" option in preferences, re-open disc/iso and post the log either here or on makemkv.com forum.

Mike Chen
13th April 2009, 09:40
No - I am trying to play on a Popcorn Hour.

I tried all kinds of strategies to fix the file. In the end passed the file from makemkv through Handbrake and re-encoded the video at a lower bit rate and now it plays fine.

But I know it's not a bit rate issue since I have put full BD titles on a HD with no compression and the Popcorn plays them fine from a USB drive. I think it's a problem with Makemkv and VC1 video
MakeMKV 1.4.1 is available and it produces compatible VC-1 files.

tu
13th April 2009, 11:56
@Mike

POC2 works perfectly now but POC1 is still getting not enough memory but it is still analysing the bluray disc.

Dave

miklg21
13th April 2009, 13:50
Are you sure that you have the last version? Errors related to these specific titles were corrected in 1.4.0 . Regardless, please enable "show debug output" option in preferences, re-open disc/iso and post the log either here or on makemkv.com forum.

I'm using 1.4.0

LIBMKV_TRACE: Exception: MKV_ASSERT: (m_MarksCount==m_ChapterMarks.size()) || ((m_MarksCount+1)==m_ChapterMarks.size())
Failed to save title 0 to file C:/Documents and Settings/michael/Desktop/title00.mkv
0 titles saved, 1 failed

chavonbravo
13th April 2009, 22:23
It would be great to have command-line options for the linux version, so perhaps mkfifo or piping can be used to have on the fly decrypting and viewing with mplayer/xine.

kkloster21
13th April 2009, 22:40
@ Mike Chen -

when will MakeMKV 1.4.1 be available for linux? i have several VC-1 discs (which 1.4.0 doesn't handle).

thanks.

miklg21
14th April 2009, 01:17
Just tried the 1.4.1 beta and get the same thing.

LIBMKV_TRACE: Exception: MKV_ASSERT: (m_MarksCount==m_ChapterMarks.size()) || ((m_MarksCount+1)==m_ChapterMarks.size())
0 titles saved, 1 failed

3ds
14th April 2009, 08:39
@Mike Chen: Good work! You have made a great tool. Will you release it under a open source licence?

Mike Chen
16th April 2009, 11:19
@Mike Chen: Good work! You have made a great tool. Will you release it under a open source licence?
Well, parts of it are already released under open source. The core will stay closed-source for many-many reasons. Is there any specific part of code you want to be able to change?

Mike Chen
16th April 2009, 11:26
0 titles saved, 1 failed
This is known error. It will be fixed soon. Thanks.

miklg21
17th April 2009, 00:52

Cool.. thanks for the info.

huasan
17th April 2009, 03:42
I have tried this tool, but failed with such error logs:

FAILURE: Code 3221225653 at 5qSw3u]KFoZ XU:213130927
FAILURE: Code 3221225653 at 5qSw3u]KFoZ XU:213130927
FAILURE: Code 3221225653 at 5F}{G^y4Uv*LI$5|:121262992
FAILURE: Code 0 at 5F}{G^y4Uv*LI$5|:121262785
FAILURE: Code 0 at \3C-\03N#SATD}Qgj YW2-tHR~:29393516
The program can't find any usable optical drives. The BETA version requires administrative privileges for drive access.

Of course i login as administrator. it seems that, the tool never found my drive!

setarip_old
17th April 2009, 05:20
@huasan

Hi!

If your O/S is Vista, try additionally right clicking on the program and selecting "Run as administrator"...

setarip_old
10th May 2009, 21:44
@Mike Chen

Hi!

It's recently come to light that "MakeMKV" (up to and including v.1.4.2b) does something to PGS subtitles when converting from M2TS to MKV that makes them unusable by other programs, such as "tsMuxeR".

The proof of this is that loading the M2TS file into "tsMuxeR" allows the program to accept and properly process the PGS subtitles, while loading the MKV file (created from the same M2TS file) generates an error message stating the inability to process them.

Please advise.

miklg21
13th May 2009, 19:39

the latest update solves the problem. thanks.

tetsuo55
29th May 2009, 14:45
It appears there is a huge memory leak in MakeMKV

I'm using MakeMKV v1.4.2, and it maxes out my ram in about 2-3 minutes, and then starts spilling over in the pagefile.
I use cleanmem script to fight against it but it has to be fixed.

the leak occurs while its converting, i am using dvd's

My os is Windows 7 7100 X64

Iskondi
29th May 2009, 18:00
Hey Mike I wanted to say that this is a very cool program! I used it for the first time yesterday and it worked like a champ.

Two questions:

1. When I went to down convert the MKV that was created to 720p Ripbot, for some reason, couldn't figure out the Audio stream. I was able to extract the AC3 on the command line using mkvextract without issue and everything seemed great, but I wasn't sure if you might have an idea why the audio gave me issues?

2. Would it be possible to add an option for down converting to 720p?
My HDTV is smaller and so I like to store content in 720p for saving space.

Thanks again for making such an awesome program!

Iskondi

Mike Chen
9th June 2009, 08:48
It appears there is a huge memory leak in MakeMKV

I'm using MakeMKV v1.4.2, and it maxes out my ram in about 2-3 minutes, and then starts spilling over in the pagefile.
I use cleanmem script to fight against it but it has to be fixed.

the leak occurs while its converting, i am using dvd's

My os is Windows 7 7100 X64
How much RAM do you have? Please try to change "read buffer size" from "auto" to an amount of roughly 1/4 of your ram in preferences dialog and restart the application.

tetsuo55
9th June 2009, 09:48
How much RAM do you have? Please try to change "read buffer size" from "auto" to an amount of roughly 1/4 of your ram in preferences dialog and restart the application.
system specs:

e8400
4GB ram
Windows 7 7100 X64

It also looks like MakeMKV's caching is not that great, it hardly uses any of my CPU's power and sometimes crawls to a halt when the computer is doing other things (i use makeMKV on a dedicated seperate harddisk)

I will try your solution.
PS i use Clearmem (which forces applications to use the windows garbage collector to clear any unneeded ram) to fight the leak, and it works perfectly(but i have to keep running it over and over :().

I Found another bug with the chapters that actually causes crashes on some players:

Bug 1: Chapter "0" is not allowed, see the specs here:
http://www.matroska.org/technical/specs/chapters/index.html
ChapterUID > 0 meaning the value has to be equal to or higher than 1

tetsuo55
9th June 2009, 10:16
I actually found several HDDVD and DVD discs that do not work with MakeMKV, what can i do to get these discs supported?

I also tried a disc where the extras got mixed and output as multitple files. (so certain extra's would be included multiple times)

setarip_old
9th June 2009, 18:31
@Mike Chen

Any insight you can offer regarding the problem noted in post #164 to this thread?:It's recently come to light that "MakeMKV" (up to and including v.1.4.2b) does something to PGS subtitles when converting from M2TS to MKV that makes them unusable by other programs, such as "tsMuxeR".

tetsuo55
9th June 2009, 19:30
How much RAM do you have? Please try to change "read buffer size" from "auto" to an amount of roughly 1/4 of your ram in preferences dialog and restart the application.i tried it and it does not help.

setarip_old
10th June 2009, 02:22
MakeMKV v.1.4.3b for Windows has just been released.

And, for the first time, a Mac version (same version number) was also released...

Mike Chen
10th June 2009, 08:58
@Mike Chen
Any insight you can offer regarding the problem noted in post #164 to this thread?:
It's recently come to light that "MakeMKV" (up to and including v.1.4.2b) does something to PGS subtitles when converting from M2TS to MKV that makes them unusable by other programs, such as "tsMuxeR".

MakeMKV just puts PGS stream as is into MKV. The bigger problem is that there are no players that can play PGS stream from MKV file. In addition PGS stream itself (contrary to vobsub) does not contain timecodes and durations so this information must be somehow preserved. Because of this extracted PGS streams are typically stored in the "sup" file format that contains elementary stream and additional timing information. It is absolutely possible to extract "sup" file from MKV but there is currently no tool that can do just that. Eventually it will fix itself - either suprip will start to recognize MKV as input or PGS demuxer will be added to mkvtoolnix or VLC/MPlayer will start to display PGS streams. For now this is unfortunately a pain. Again, these MKVs contain elementary stream as-is, unchanged.

Mike Chen
10th June 2009, 09:00
i tried it and it does not help.
Strange. Can you please enable "log debug messages", restart the tool and capture the output in log window (if any)? You can PM it to me to keep this thread clean. Thanks.

setarip_old
11th June 2009, 03:40
@Mike Chen

Hi!

Now that Paramount has joined Fox by signing up to use Macrovision's "BD+" protection, may I now ask when you anticipate being able to overcome it, so as not to allow your program to become obsolete in its infancy?

Mike Chen
12th June 2009, 04:28
@Mike Chen

Hi!

Now that Paramount has joined Fox by signing up to use Macrovision's "BD+" protection, may I now ask when you anticipate being able to overcome it, so as not to allow your program to become obsolete in its infancy?

We should collect royalities from macrovision for this :) BD+ will be supported "soon". I can't give any specific dates unfortunately.

setarip_old
12th June 2009, 08:29
Thanks for the info.

We're all certainly looking forward to its arrival - "soon" ;>}

SuperGoof
12th June 2009, 20:06

I don't think it's going to become obsolete whether it supports BD+ or not, as decrypting is not the main purpose of this program. You can always run MakeMKV over disc, mounted image or Blu-ray folder decrypted by AnyDVD HD, DumpHD or other tools.

The main feature which is missing in MakeMKV is not BD+ support (as AnyDVD does it just fine). It is a small video player, allowing you to preview selected title (or rather selected video/audio/subtitle stream). Just like the one in DVD Shrink, CloneDVD and other tools. Another thing is the ability to output not only to .mkv, but also to .ts and .m2ts files (maybe .mp4 too) and "dummy" Blu-ray disc. Also the ability to preserve chapters if you export to another Blu-ray disc (perhaps .mkv does not support chapters, not sure).

setarip_old
12th June 2009, 21:15
@SuperGoof

Hi!You can always run MakeMKV over disc, mounted image or Blu-ray folder decrypted by AnyDVD HD... Please re-read the title of this thread and the initial post.

Stating that a pricey, previously monopolistic, alternative (AnyDVDHD) exists is irrelevant...

SuperGoof
12th June 2009, 21:50
Please re-read the title of this thread and the initial post.

"I would like to announce yet another tool for Blu-ray decryption. MakeMKV ..."

Yeah... If the author positions this program as a decryptor, then eventual BD+ support is important. But if I was him, I would still concentrate on "remuxing" and UI (I mean video preview) part first. As there are other decryptors on the market (I mean AnyDVD in the first place), but no user friendly "Blu-ray Shrink" program. And as Slysoft is working on CloneBD, I think tools like MakeMKV and tsMuxer should evolve quite quickly and use their current popularity wisely. Or else Slysoft will eventually become "monopolistic" in "Blu-ray remuxing" business too. :)

setarip_old
12th June 2009, 22:51
but no user friendly "Blu-ray Shrink" programSounds like you should do a little research - and discover "BR Rebuilder" and "AVCHDCoder", both presently freeware...

drkrvn32
12th July 2009, 21:44
@Mike_Chen

I'm just curious, how did you beat Ken00 at v11-12? Slysoft has up to 14, from what I can tell no further.BDVM takes well care of BD+ removal.

The data IS on the disk,right? or did you pull it out of PowerDVD?

Further, would a drive key help or not for this, I thought we had a master unlock somwhere, or was that supposed to be the MKV?

every one keeps saying that VID can be pulled from the disc regardless of AUTH, but you still need the PK to get the VID right? [or am i missing a comandline option here??]

setarip_old
12th July 2009, 23:10
@drkrvn32

Hi!

"Mike Chen" has previously stated here his unwillingness to share such information - as "MakeMKV" is a commercial product in development.

I guess you'd have just as much luck asking the folks at Slysoft ;>}

Mike Chen
15th July 2009, 08:53
@Mike_Chen

I'm just curious, how did you beat Ken00 at v11-12? Slysoft has up to 14, from what I can tell no further.BDVM takes well care of BD+ removal.

The data IS on the disk,right? or did you pull it out of PowerDVD?

Further, would a drive key help or not for this, I thought we had a master unlock somwhere, or was that supposed to be the MKV?

every one keeps saying that VID can be pulled from the disc regardless of AUTH, but you still need the PK to get the VID right? [or am i missing a comandline option here??]

We have keys from multiple players. The PK that we currently use comes not from powerdvd and was never revoked. In truth we expected for it to be revoked sooner but it survived unchanged until v12 (confirmed). And so far it looks like it is not going to be revoked in v13 or v14. To read VID MakeMKV first tries to do so without auth ( see LGPL libdriveio avaiable on our forum) and then performs standard auth. For this we have a pile of non-revoked host certs.

EDIT: "Our" key was revoked in MKB v14. We've updated AACS keys in latest version so MKB v14 can be opened just fine.

MacLover
20th July 2009, 15:42
Looks like a great programme and it works on OS X :D

Gonna test it out using an ISO I ripped using PS3 :)

shv
21st July 2009, 17:39
Would be nice if MakeMKV could support m2ts format with HD audio as well. I would like to use it also to make a full or partly BD rip. In this case the user would be able to use different tools for postprocessing. It might be not a big impact to support this.

setarip_old
21st July 2009, 20:19
@shv

Hi!

I made such a suggestion in Post #5 in this thread - and in response either here or in another thread, "Mike Chen" stated that "MakeMKV" would not add such capability...

jj666
21st July 2009, 20:35
Shv,

If you don't want to use the .MKV container, you can use EAC3TO with one of the many available frontends to work from either a full blu-ray disk or .M2TS files for a 100% quality blu-ray. Or do you mean post-processing (re-encoding), like that BD-REBUILDER [poke my own eyes out with a rusty fork] software can do?

Cheers,

-jj-

setarip_old
21st July 2009, 20:39
@jj666

Hi!

What you fail to mention is that using the procedure(s) you're suggesting requires the use of the fairly high-priced "AnyDVD HD" as opposed to the presently free "MakeMKV"...

jj666
21st July 2009, 21:10
Well if he's buying blu-ray disks as I do, it's not a problem to invest in decent software to immediately back them up. I'm much preferring a copy to be played back on the media player due to keeping the original disk preserved and no good software on the PC. I would assume most people on this forum are not still using their Grandmother's technology either ;-)

Cheers,

-jj-

cwl7454
23rd July 2009, 00:47
The key words here are: presently free "MakeMKV"...

Mike has previously indicated that it will be commercial ware upon completion of Beta's.

To me "Any DVD HD" is not "fairly high-priced" considering what it can do, the time it can save and the free that you get with it.

redfive19
23rd July 2009, 03:35
I understand from the MakeMKV forums that no open source player can read the subtitles? Is there a way I can rip the subtitles out and mux them into the resultant MKV? I just bought Stormriders 10th anniversary blu ray (hong kong stuff, all chinese!), ripped it with anyDVD HD, loaded the ISO into MakeMKV and kept the subtitles. When I play it in Plex, I can choose to display subtitles (it sees they're there) but nothing shows.....anyway to get around this? thanks in advance...

23rd July 2009, 04:44
I understand from the MakeMKV forums that no open source player can read the subtitles? Is there a way I can rip the subtitles out and mux them into the resultant MKV? I just bought Stormriders 10th anniversary blu ray (hong kong stuff, all chinese!), ripped it with anyDVD HD, loaded the ISO into MakeMKV and kept the subtitles. When I play it in Plex, I can choose to display subtitles (it sees they're there) but nothing shows.....anyway to get around this? thanks in advance...
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=145277

redfive19
23rd July 2009, 16:02
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=145277

I don't think that tool can extract them tho, am I right? Really all I want to do is embed subtitles in the MKV that are readable by Plex. I love that I was able to get a 25GB blu-ray disc down to 1 17GB MKV but unfortunately this movie is in Mandarin :(

MacLover
23rd July 2009, 22:50
Redfive, assuming your on OS X as you said play on Plex, have you tried demuxing using TSMuxer and opening the Subtitle file with Jubler and convert to .ass or .srt?

Mike Chen
24th July 2009, 07:31
There is yet no tool to do anything with PGS subtitles in MKV. We are actually considering writing a bulky command-line tool that will be able to export PGS streams from MKV into sup files - this way subtitles may be OCR'ed and remuxed.

setarip_old
24th July 2009, 08:28
@Mike Chen

Hi!

Any closer to putting an ETA on solving "BD+"?

shv
24th July 2009, 19:53
As far I know AnyDVD HD don't currently support MKB V14. Taking this into mind I think it would be good to have two tools which can decrypt BDs and BD+ too. As it shall become a comercial tool it shall support different use cases to get more user which want to pay for it. In this case there could be a good balance between price and offered features.

Restriction to MKV format would mean to restrict usage of other tools as well as the restriction of potential users. Currently this also means that the usage of HD audio formats is not possible and subtitles also don't work. At least I was not able to play them to split them or to remux them...

DrinkLyeAndDie
24th July 2009, 20:04
As far I know AnyDVD HD don't currently support MKB V14.

As of today's release of v6.5.7.0 beta, yes, it does.

SamuriHL
24th July 2009, 20:13
As far I know AnyDVD HD don't currently support MKB V14. Taking this into mind I think it would be good to have two tools which can decrypt BDs and BD+ too. As it shall become a comercial tool it shall support different use cases to get more user which want to pay for it. In this case there could be a good balance between price and offered features.

Restriction to MKV format would mean to restrict usage of other tools as well as the restriction of potential users. Currently this also means that the usage of HD audio formats is not possible and subtitles also don't work. At least I was not able to play them to split them or to remux them...

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but, isn't the name of the program Make*MKV*? :) It's not a general purpose ripping tool. It was created so that you can make MKV's from your BD's.

Nnoitra
24th July 2009, 23:12
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but, isn't the name of the program Make*MKV*? :) It's not a general purpose ripping tool. It was created so that you can make MKV's from your BD's.

And throws away the HD audio while it's at it... so not very useful.

SamuriHL
25th July 2009, 00:00
And throws away the HD audio while it's at it... so not very useful.

It's atually quite useful to a great many people. It all depends on what you're trying to do. Some people want MKV files so they can stream them to network players or play them on a PC or whatever. They may not need HD audio. Some people would rather keep everything untouched. For those people this is not the product for them. Remember...the right tool for the job. :)

Nnoitra
25th July 2009, 02:28
It's atually quite useful to a great many people. It all depends on what you're trying to do. Some people want MKV files so they can stream them to network players or play them on a PC or whatever. They may not need HD audio. Some people would rather keep everything untouched. For those people this is not the product for them. Remember...the right tool for the job. :)

There's only two reasons to buy a BD, one is HD video, the other is HD audio. Otherwise DVDs are much easier to work with. Throw away the HD audio and you're removed half the value of a BD. If people are happy with this (as the existing users and authors of Ripbot/MakeMKV apparently are), more power to them. But I don't get why the authors of these tools won't add such support, it's very easy. I spent a week writing a python script automating BD->mkv just so I could get the HD audio. Oh well.

SamuriHL
25th July 2009, 02:33
There's only two reasons to buy a BD, one is HD video, the other is HD audio. Otherwise DVDs are much easier to work with. Throw away the HD audio and you're removed half the value of a BD. If people are happy with this (as the existing users and authors of Ripbot/MakeMKV apparently are), more power to them. But I don't get why the authors of these tools won't add such support, it's very easy. I spent a week writing a python script automating BD->mkv just so I could get the HD audio. Oh well.

While I personally tend to agree that keeping the HD audio is a requirement, for others it simply isn't. They want the HD picture and can live with non-HD audio. I don't see anything wrong with that if that's what they're looking for. Just because it's not what you or I want, it doesn't make this product any less valid. And at current, MKV as a container doesn't support HD audio formats. I believe you can convert it to lossless FLAC or something like that and you'll get lossless HD audio in an MKV container. Perhaps that's something they'll consider adding to this product in the future. But as it stands now, this product is designed to convert a BD to an MKV. And there are many people seem to like the concept.

Chiamos
25th July 2009, 03:45
While I personally tend to agree that keeping the HD audio is a requirement, for others it simply isn't. They want the HD picture and can live with non-HD audio. I don't see anything wrong with that if that's what they're looking for. Just because it's not what you or I want, it doesn't make this product any less valid. And at current, MKV as a container doesn't support HD audio formats. I believe you can convert it to lossless FLAC or something like that and you'll get lossless HD audio in an MKV container. Perhaps that's something they'll consider adding to this product in the future. But as it stands now, this product is designed to convert a BD to an MKV. And there are many people seem to like the concept.

I concur exactly with your all thoughts and opinions on this matter. I have converted the HD to FLAC for a MKV container and it sounds like Lossless to me...great! It would be terrific if this could be designed into MakeMKV, as .MKV and .FLAC are supported in some SW Players and maybe are now, like the Western Digital HD Media Player, or will be supported soon...even together in more hardware Players. :cool:

setarip_old
25th July 2009, 06:07
@shvRestriction to MKV format would mean to restrict usage of other tools as well as the restriction of potential users.After creating an MKV from your original BluRay disc by using "MakeMKV", it will take but a brief few minutes to use (freeware) "tsMuxeR" to create a BluRay "package" ("movie-only") from your MKV...

shv
25th July 2009, 09:33
Yes that is right but I don't get the HD audio streams and subtitles don't work with tsMuxeR. So a lot gets lost while using MakeMKV.

MacLover
25th July 2009, 16:52
shv if you want 1:1 ripping of Blu-ray's this app is not for you.

Try AnyDVD HD or DVDFab

redfive19
26th July 2009, 05:17
Redfive, assuming your on OS X as you said play on Plex, have you tried demuxing using TSMuxer and opening the Subtitle file with Jubler and convert to .ass or .srt?

I tried TSMuxer but it did not extract subtitles. Do you think if I extracted the blu-ray to ISO that Plex would be able to play it?

MacLover
26th July 2009, 13:31
No Plex, can't play back Blu-ray Subtitles yet.

And are you sure as I was able to demux subtitles from Wallace and Gromit and Lissi und der wilde Kaiser using TSMuxer, although one of them was from normal .m2ts files.

happycase
2nd August 2009, 05:15
This program is, IMO, the best decryptor of BD available and I hope that a full disk mode is available in the freeware version.

redfive19
2nd August 2009, 14:49
So just an update for anyone concerned...I used TSMuxer to demux my subs to a .sup file. Then, on my PC, I brought that .sup file into Suprip and OCR'd the subs to an SRT. I then took that SRT and muxed it back into the original MKV. It's working! Only problem I really see is, the subtitle, in Plex, doesn't show up as English, it shows up as what I named it in TSMuxer. Small issue....anyone know how to make it show as English?

Inspector.Gadget
2nd August 2009, 15:20
MKVMergeGUI header editor.

setarip_old
4th August 2009, 09:12
@Mike Chen

I see that v.1.4.6 was released with many fixes.

Is there now a target date for MakeMKV being able to process BD+ BluRay discs?

setarip_old
9th August 2009, 08:05
@Mike Chen

Now that MakeMKV is capable of processing BluRay discs containing VC-1 video, it would be a nice gesture if you folks would enhance your HD-DVD coverage by simply extending the VC-1 coverage to HD-DVD ripping.

Remember, anything you do now regarding HD-DVD coverage won't ever require update or modification - and you'll be viewed by many to be gentlemen (and ladies?), as well as good sports ;>}

sosuke
12th August 2009, 15:20
Is there a way to override the aspect ratio in the created MKVs? Some of my DVDs are coming out with really wacky ARs. Brian Regan Standing Up is probably the most extreme example. It's widescreen but I'm pretty sure it was encoded as 4:3 so it has bars on top and bottom (is that what is considered anamorphic?). So when played back as wide screen it ends up super stretched out horizontally and squashed vertically. Is there any way to fix this besides re-encoding it? I have a lot of DVDs I'm trying to convert and I'd rather avoid the 3-6 hours to re-encode each.

b66pak
12th August 2009, 17:06
use mkvmerge to remux with your new AR...
_

sosuke
12th August 2009, 18:39
That doesn't fix it.

Mike Chen
13th August 2009, 09:55
@Mike Chen

Now that MakeMKV is capable of processing BluRay discs containing VC-1 video, it would be a nice gesture if you folks would enhance your HD-DVD coverage by simply extending the VC-1 coverage to HD-DVD ripping.

Remember, anything you do now regarding HD-DVD coverage won't ever require update or modification - and you'll be viewed by many to be gentlemen (and ladies?), as well as good sports ;>}
It is not that simple. In short, VC-1 on HD-DVD is encoded differently from Blu-ray and would require a lot of VC-1 specfic code. Also there is no (still?) free EAC3 to AC3/LPCM transcoding library so writing an EAC3 converter just to support HD-DVDs is challenging. So that's why MakeMKV does not support VC-1 streams without encoded reordering information and E-AC3 streams. Unfortunately these are most common codecs on HD-DVDs.

tetsuo55
13th August 2009, 10:41
It is not that simple. In short, VC-1 on HD-DVD is encoded differently from Blu-ray and would require a lot of VC-1 specfic code. Also there is no (still?) free EAC3 to AC3/LPCM transcoding library so writing an EAC3 converter just to support HD-DVDs is challenging. So that's why MakeMKV does not support VC-1 streams without encoded reordering information and E-AC3 streams. Unfortunately these are most common codecs on HD-DVDs.eac3 decoding is already possible with open-source applications. You could simply mux the eac3 into the mkv directly.

Or do you mean that you have to re-order the eac3 stream to match the VC1?

Revgen
13th August 2009, 15:02
EAC3to uses FFMPEG/libaf and Aften (both open-sourece) to encode to ac3 if needed. Also, MKV's support EAC3. However, they don't support True-HD/MLP, but that's solved easily by encoding to FLAC, which is supported by MKV. FLAC files even tend to take up less space than the original True-HD files. EAC3to can even detect the delay in the audio file to match the video. Eac3to also removes pulldown from VC1 files, and does so in a similar way VC1Conv does. VC1Conv source code and program is here. http://www.w6rz.net/vc1conv.zip

Madshi does EAC3to for free, but he hasn't been able to update it for awhile since having to work more than usual. Unfortuanately, Madshi hasn't released the source code, so you can't really look at it. But it can be done.

setarip_old
13th August 2009, 18:46
@Mike Chen

Hi!VC-1 on HD-DVD is encoded differently from Blu-ray and would require a lot of VC-1 specfic code.As far as I know, the ONLY difference is that for HD-DVDs, you have to remove the pulldown. Also there is no (still?) free EAC3 to AC3/LPCM transcoding library so writing an EAC3 converter just to support HD-DVDs is challenging.As has been noted here by others, (freeware) "eac3to" is capable of performing these audio conversions.

Now that you'v been provided with this additional information, I would hope that you'd reconsider.

Your thoughts, please?

Revgen
14th August 2009, 02:33
^There are few other things besides removing the pulldown, but VC1conv does those things. The readme.txt file in the VC1conv.zip explains what they are. Once they are done, VC1 video from HD-DVD is Blu-Ray compatible.

I can stick with Eac3to for know as far as HD-DVD's go, but at some point, when Haali adds support for True-HD (which he says he plans on doing), then it's hard to say if eac3to will be updated.

setarip_old
14th August 2009, 03:10
@Mike Chen

As far as I know, "tsMuxeR" also properly handles VC-1 from HD-DVDs (.EVOs) so as to make it compatible with BluRay format...

FredThompson
21st August 2009, 08:43
I am not able to get MakeMKV to work with AVCHD ISO files. I can open the ISO, pick the parts to export, click the "Make MKV" button and...nothing is exported, just an error statement such as this:
MakeMKV v1.4.6 beta win(x86-release) started
AACS directory not present, assuming unencrypted disc
File 00000.mpls was added as title #0
Saving 1 titles into directory C:/Working/Newsbin/Complete
Failed to save title 0 to file C:/Working/Newsbin/Complete/title00.mkv
0 titles saved, 1 failed
Are there dependencies? Is registration of MakeMKV required to extract? (There's no mention of this in the help nor a prompt of any sort in MakeMKV...oversight?)

setarip_old
21st August 2009, 18:47
@FredThompson

Hi!

Likely requires standard BluRay structure, not the slightly different AVCHD structure - After all, its stated purpose is to rip and convert BluRay discs/ISOs (as well as standard DVDs)...

FredThompson
21st August 2009, 21:17
@FredThompson

Hi!

Likely requires standard BluRay structure, not the slightly different AVCHD structure - After all, its stated purpose is to rip and convert BluRay discs/ISOs (as well as standard DVDs)...

That's a good point. I found Nero's freeware InCD reader properly mounts AVCHD ISOs in Windows XP.

I was starting to wonder if the problem was lack of a BluRay drive in this particular computer. When they're $25...

CybrFyre
22nd August 2009, 02:58
Has anyone gotten this to work under Fedora 11? For me, it pretty much immediately segfaults.

thanks.

iSeries
25th August 2009, 15:14
I've used MakeMKV to backup all my DVD's to HDD, thinking it was the ideal way to store them. However, now I have done this, say one of my original discs gets ruined and I need to burn another, how do I now remux the MKV file back into a DVD structure?

goby
30th September 2009, 05:08
Mike Chen! Makemkv works great, so far no problem from ver. 1.4.3 up to ver. 1.4.7, thx.

Mike Chen
2nd October 2009, 08:40
Has anyone gotten this to work under Fedora 11? For me, it pretty much immediately segfaults.

thanks.
1.4.7 should work fine.

GLUBSCH
6th October 2009, 12:17
Congratulations, MakeMKV is HUGE (and not just in terms of potential). It works especially well together with HandBrake for later encoding.
Mike Chen, I´d LOVE to see an official repository for your great tool (just like the packman repo) and I´m sure many others would as well... :)

Thanks for providing such a great freeware! Please keep it that way.

setarip_old
10th October 2009, 03:36
@GLUBSCH

You should be aware that from as far back as December 2008, "Mike Chen" has indicated that this program will NOT remain as freeware:

http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?p=1221815&postcount=5

Some advanced Blu-ray and Hd-dvd functionality will not be free.

GLUBSCH
17th November 2009, 11:08
Thanks for telling. I´ve been talking to him and he says that he supports the idea, provided his email address via PM as well.
I already filed a request to the packman team. Next thing to get a hold of are the means of how the parts of makeMKV are exactly licensed.

Looking forward to another reply via PM from him now. Stay tuned.

GLUBSCH
23rd November 2009, 08:54
Looking forward to another reply via PM from him now. Stay tuned.
UPDATE: I´ve filed a thread for Establishing an *official* MakeMKV Repository (http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=677). Feel free to contribute your opinions! :)

-glubsch

tetsuo55
23rd November 2009, 11:27
Hi Again,

I found the cause of the memory leak i have, the cause also explains why the debug build dit not show anything
It was caused by a bug in my SATA driver. It caused windows to fully cache any file that goes through the "write cache" filling up my ram with the DVD.

MakeMKV now uses +/- 500MB of ram during conversion, does that sound normal?

tetsuo55
27th November 2009, 11:23
i have a dvd (already copied to hdd) that fails

Debug log started at Fri Nov 27 10:21:06 2009 , written by MakeMKV v1.4.8 beta win(x86-release)
001014:000000:0000 MakeMKV v1.4.8 beta win(x86-release) started
001013:000000:0000 Debug logging enabled, log will be saved as C:\Users/MakeMKV_log.txt
005042:000000:0000 The program can't find any usable optical drives.
003006:000000:0000 Opening files on harddrive at E:/Movies/Into the Blue 2 The Reef (2009)/VIDEO_TS/
003002:003011:0010 Calculated BUP offset does not match one in IFO header.
003028:000000:0000 Cell 21 was discarded (structure protection?)
003036:000000:0000 Title #0 was added (20 cell(s), 1:31:31)
003020:000000:0000 Title #1 has length of 1 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
003020:000000:0000 Title #2 has length of 8 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
003020:000000:0000 Title #3 has length of 8 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
003020:000000:0000 Title #4 has length of 8 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
003020:000000:0000 Title #5 has length of 9 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
003020:000000:0000 Title #6 has length of 14 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
003020:000000:0000 Title #7 has length of 14 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
003020:000000:0000 Title #8 has length of 62 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
003020:000000:0000 Title #9 has length of 64 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
003036:000000:0000 Title #10 was added (2 cell(s), 0:11:42)
003036:000000:0000 Title #11 was added (2 cell(s), 0:06:42)
003020:000000:0000 Title #12 has length of 100 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
003020:000000:0000 Title #13 has length of 51 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
003020:000000:0000 Title #14 has length of 64 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
005011:000000:0000 Operation sucessfully completed
005014:000000:0000 Saving 1 titles into directory E:/Movies
001012:000000:0020 FAILURE: Code 2042 at LJbrM4"SFk.%vA-s+:l:121262785
001012:000000:0020 FAILURE: Code 0 at "s|cN^*w:@A>5{esV7(~:121262164
001012:000000:0020 FAILURE: Code 31222 at "s|cN^*w:@A>5{esV7(~:213129639
001011:000000:0020 LIBMKV_TRACE: Exception: Error while reading input
005003:000000:0000 Failed to save title 0 to file E:/Movies/title00.mkv
005004:000000:0000 0 titles saved, 1 failed
005037:000000:0204 Copy complete. 0 titles saved, 1 failed.

setarip_old
1st December 2009, 03:30
@tetsuo55

Hi!

Try reducing the "Minimium filesize" to 2 seconds...

tetsuo55
1st December 2009, 18:28
@tetsuo55

Hi!

Try reducing the "Minimium filesize" to 2 seconds... i will try that

tetsuo55
7th December 2009, 08:16
@tetsuo55

Hi!

Try reducing the "Minimium filesize" to 2 seconds... even with 2s and updating to the new version i stil get the same error

frank
8th December 2009, 13:00
MakeMKV 1.4.9
doesn't work for BDs saved by tsMuxeR on DVD!!
Media is properly opened but when you press the Button
"Make MKV" nothing is copied!!
:(

Title #0 was added (35 cell(s), 2:25:51)
Saving 1 titles into directory H:/BD_HP1
0 titles saved, 1 failed
Failed to save title 0 to file H:/BD_HP1/title00.mkv
0 titles saved, 1 failed

EDIT: It was a wrong muxed stream.

setarip_old
8th December 2009, 21:26
@frank

Hi!

1) Is this the only attempt you've made at using MakeMKV to create an MKV file from a tsMuxeR-created BD-on-DVD disc?

2) I've read that tsMuxeR does NOT restrict its BluRay creating only to fully BluRay-compatible input files. What was the nature of the original source material from which you created this BD-on-DVD disc?

3) Was the BD-on-DVD disc formatted as UDF 2.50?

4) Does this disc play properly?

5) Does the following have anything to do with this specific disc? I ask because I've never seen any reference to "cells" when MakeMKV is processing a BluRay:Title #0 was added (35 cell(s), 2:25:51)
0 titles saved, 1 failed

6) I just loaded a BluRay-compliant .M2TS file into tsMuxeR, set it to "BluRay", processed it and then burned the resultant BluRay "package" to a DVD-5. I then used MakeMKV to successfully convert it to an .MKV file.

frank
10th December 2009, 18:46
Many thanks, setarip_old.
Sorry, it was the wrong listing. This is the right one:
MakeMKV v1.4.9 beta win(x86-release) started
Saving 1 titles into directory D:/temp
Failed to save title 0 to file D:/temp/title00.mkv
0 titles saved, 1 failed
Now I know, the error comes from an old version of tsMuxeR, and the muxed AVC stream has a bug (b-pyramid, and stuttering play). A new remuxed MKV with mkvMerge GUI plays fine.
My other BD-9s saved by tsMuxeR work fine with makeMKV.
:)

setarip_old
10th December 2009, 19:39
@frankMany thanks, setarip_old.Glad to hear of the simple resolution! As always, it's my pleasure - especially when more often than not, what may appear to be "leading" questions that I ask (As I've done since the era of BBSs and 75 Baud acoustic couplers - and which are intended to both narrow the list of possible causes of problems and possibly enhance the thought processes of the O.P.s) simply lead to resolutions of posters' problems;>}

tetsuo55
4th January 2010, 11:03
Updated to the new 1.4.10

I will list all the files that dont work in this post, debug logging is enabled:

Corpse Bride BD (decrypted)
MakeMKV v1.4.10 beta win(x64-release) started
Debug logging enabled, log will be saved as C:\Users\HTPC/MakeMKV_log.txt
The program can't find any usable optical drives.
Opening files on harddrive at F:/MoviesArchief/Corpse Bride (2005)/
Title #00015.mpls has length of 27 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00003.m2ts has length of 115 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
File 00004.m2ts was added as title #1
File 00005.m2ts was added as title #2
File 00006.m2ts was added as title #3
File 00007.m2ts was added as title #4
File 00008.m2ts was added as title #5
File 00009.m2ts was added as title #6
File 00010.m2ts was added as title #7
File 00011.m2ts was added as title #8
Title #00012.m2ts has length of 12 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00013.m2ts has length of 10 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00014.m2ts has length of 7 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00015.m2ts has length of 23 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00016.m2ts has length of 13 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Saving 1 titles into directory C:/Users/HTPC/Desktop
Program reads data faster than it can write to disk, consider upgrading your hard drive if you see many of these messages.
Program reads data faster than it can write to disk, consider upgrading your hard drive if you see many of these messages.
DEBUG: Code 0 at gVZtj^ti4tpvbU@C^I$t:213131134
DEBUG: Code 0 at Ko9yER9(:Mj6.\feN6;b:213130697
DEBUG: Code 6332178 at Ko9yER9(:Mj6.\feN6;b:213129639
LIBMKV_TRACE: Exception: Error while reading input
Failed to save title 0 to file C:/Users/HTPC/Desktop/title00.mkv
0 titles saved, 1 failed
The Dark Crystal Superbit DVD
Opening files on harddrive at F:/MoviesArchief/The Dark Crystal (1982)/VIDEO_TS/
Titleset start sector mismatch for titleset 1 : 30703 != 30752
Titleset start sector mismatch for titleset 2 : 2770865 != 2771040
Titleset start sector mismatch for titleset 3 : 2783019 != 2783264
Complex multiplex encountered - 30 cells and 11120 VOBUs have to be scanned. This may take some time, please be patient - it can't be avoided.
Title #0 was added (30 cell(s), 1:29:02)
Title #1 has length of 32 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #2 has length of 5 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
DEBUG: Code 2066 at OJVo;q@o-PM~T-bNyNu:121262785
DEBUG: Code 254049 at Ko9yER9(:Mj6.\feN6;b:213129639
Failed to save title 0 to file C:/Users/HTPC/Desktop/t00_The_Dark_Crystal_(Superbit).mkv
0 titles saved, 1 failed

Van Hellsing HDDVD (decrypted)
DEBUG: Code 0 at eCMe&x=H;Rnml:213130444
DEBUG: Code 0 at 04YNpkm8de{)BF"4W":213129685
DEBUG: Code 0 at 3>s&rPt{cvD3T:213129961
Failed to open disc

Into the blue 2: The reef DVD
Opening files on harddrive at E:/Movies/Into the Blue 2 The Reef (2009)/VIDEO_TS/
Cell 21 was discarded (structure protection?)
Title #0 was added (20 cell(s), 1:31:31)
Title #1 has length of 1 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #2 has length of 8 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #3 has length of 8 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #4 has length of 8 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #5 has length of 9 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #6 has length of 14 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #7 has length of 14 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #8 has length of 62 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #9 has length of 64 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #10 was added (2 cell(s), 0:11:42)
Title #11 was added (2 cell(s), 0:06:42)
Title #12 has length of 100 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #13 has length of 51 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #14 has length of 64 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
DEBUG: Code 2042 at OJVo;q@o-PM~T-bNyNu:121262785
DEBUG: Code 31222 at Ko9yER9(:Mj6.\feN6;b:213129639
0 titles saved, 1 failed

The Thaw DVD
Opening files on harddrive at E:/Movies/The Thaw (2009)/
Title #0 has length of 0 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #1 has length of 32 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #2 has length of 22 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Cell 17 was discarded (structure protection?)
Title #3 was added (16 cell(s), 1:33:52)
Title #4 has length of 72 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Cell 4 was discarded (structure protection?)
Title #5 was added (3 cell(s), 0:03:20)
Title #6 has length of 63 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #7 has length of 111 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Cell 2 was discarded (structure protection?)
Title #8 was added (1 cell(s), 0:13:25)
Cell 5 was discarded (structure protection?)
Title #9 was added (4 cell(s), 0:02:52)
DEBUG: Code 2042 at OJVo;q@o-PM~T-bNyNu:121262785
DEBUG: Code 0 at Ko9yER9(:Mj6.\feN6;b:121262164
DEBUG: Code 424 at Ko9yER9(:Mj6.\feN6;b:213129639
0 titles saved, 1 failed

The Scorpion King HDDVD (decrypted)
VC-1 video stream without TFCNTR information is not supported, sorry. Few HD-DVDs use it anyway.
Failed to decode audio/video data for title #0 - invalid mux or internal error, title skipped.
VC-1 video stream without TFCNTR information is not supported, sorry. Few HD-DVDs use it anyway.
Failed to decode audio/video data for title #1 - invalid mux or internal error, title skipped.
Failed to decode audio/video data for title #2 - invalid mux or internal error, title skipped.
Failed to decode audio/video data for title #3 - invalid mux or internal error, title skipped.
Failed to decode audio/video data for title #4 - invalid mux or internal error, title skipped.
Failed to decode audio/video data for title #5 - invalid mux or internal error, title skipped.
Failed to open disc

setarip_old
4th January 2010, 18:32
@tetsuo55

Hi!

For a fast(er) response, I'd suggest you re-post these problems at the MakeMKV Forum at:

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/

tetsuo55
4th January 2010, 22:08
@tetsuo55

Hi!

For a fast(er) response, I'd suggest you re-post these problems at the MakeMKV Forum at:

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/

i dont have an account there? do you? ;)

setarip_old
4th January 2010, 22:18
@tetsuo55i dont have an account there?It takes about 2 minutes to become a member (No 5 day waiting period ;>})

JustinChase
19th January 2010, 04:36
I have used this great program for several rips and it seems to have worked great, except for subtitles. I've spent the last several days reading everything I could find, but I haven't found anything resembling a definitive answer, which makes me think there is not one.

The resultant MKV files have the subtitles I have chosen, but none of them are the forced subs (I understand this is on the "soon" list), but the subs it does rip are not playable in any player or combination of filters I can find.

So, what do I have to do to get subtitles to play from the rips this great program makes/saves. They are saved in the PGS format, and I understand they are simply copied, untouched, from the disc, which makes sense. But if no one can read/play/use these subtitles, what is the point of having them in this format?

It seems I will need to strip them out of the MKV , convert them to either .sub or .srt files then mux them back in. I can live with doing this if necessary, but I can't figure out hos to get them out of the MKV in a way that lets me convert them. BDSup2Sub cannot read from the MKV file, so how do I get them into this program to convert them?

Most of what sounds like it will work for me states that anydvd is a requirement, but I would rather not pay for that if possible. I see that makeMKV now has the option to copy the disc to my hard drive, but I don't believe it strips the copy protection in this process, so the guides still won't work on this "disc".

Better yet, is there ANY other way to just use them as they are in the MKV file and not convert them at all?

I hope this is not a stupid question, but I have read so much that it has all jumbled together and any further reading has not cleared anything up in my head.

I have nearly every program mentioned downloaded, and many installed, but nothing has given me subtitles on the Blu-ray rips. the DVD rips work great.

My goal is to get everything converted into MKV files, install the minimum of codecs and filters and simplify my setup.

any help will be very much appreciated.