PDA

View Full Version : Capturing From Satellite

sumotherdude
19th January 2002, 14:33
Anyone know any products that will allow to capture directly from a satellite signal, say like DirecTV or Dishnetwork? I've been looking and haven't found anything worthwhile. I currently capture with an ATI AIW and would like to do a little better quality to burn onto DVD.

Thanks,

sumotherdude

Kedirekin
19th January 2002, 14:52
I can't give a definitive answer, but I'm really preety sure the answer is - there are none. For example, DirecTV recievers require an access smart-card, and it needs to be activated by DirecTV. I've never heard of a PC card that accepts an access card, and I can't imagine anyone making one.

Perhaps there is hope that we'll eventually be able to grab digital capture files from Tivo or UltimateTV boxes.

sumotherdude
19th January 2002, 18:08
I understand the specifics involved. I guess what I'm actually looking for is something that will capture broadcast quality MPEG 2 streams. I've read about ADS Technologies USB Instant DVD here and on their web site. Would that work or has anyone here used one?

Thanks for the information.

sumotherdude

waldok
21st January 2002, 12:45
Hi,

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but Hauppauge has a WinTV NOVA and a Win-TV DVB-S (name just changed but I can't remember it) that allow to directly retrieve the PVA streams transmitted from the satellite.
Have a look at their website (www.hauppauge.de) or do a search on "PVA" keyword in all forums here and on the web.

Hope this helps.

Waldok:cool:

NeVeRLiFt
22nd January 2002, 08:27
I have a AthlonXP 1800+ and use a AIW Radeon.
I capture from my satalite reciever using S-video in.
I can capture using 15000bitrate 720x480 mpeg2.
I can capture to uncompressed AVI 720x480 and this goes for all other codecs and there highest quality settings. The AIW Radeon is a sweet card and if you got the money get a Radeon 8500DV as it has firewire and other stuff.

Terenius
23rd January 2002, 09:36
On a side note, does anyone notice that DirecTV has very crappy image quality? It became painfully obvious when I started watching on a 60" TV. There were large macroblocks all over the picture, really distracting.

Does anyone else notice this? Maybe it's my equipment.

Kedirekin
23rd January 2002, 12:56
It's not your equipment. The quality of their 'broadcast' has degraded significantly since 3 years ago when I signed up. What I find really irritating is that you sometimes get a trail effect (think mouse trails, but on large moving objects).

It seems that some channels are better than others, and that some programs are better than others on the same channel.

I believe they're spreading their bandwidth a little thin, though the recent introduction of all local channels doesn't appear to have had a significant effect. Perhaps it's a downlink bottleneck, not an uplink (even though there are hundreds of additional channel nation wide, there are only a few additional channels in each downlink spot).

In any case, it's just another form of noise. In my experience, your brain gets used to it and starts to ignore it, just like you end up 'not noticing' snow and ghosting in terestial broadcasts much of the time.

sibe
24th January 2002, 20:01
Originally posted by waldok
I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but Hauppauge has a WinTV NOVA and a Win-TV DVB-S (name just changed but I can't remember it) that allow to directly retrieve the PVA streams transmitted from the satellite.

I just got a WinTV Nova yesterday and after finally getting the card to work (had problems installing it) I'm quite pleased with it. The capture quality is really good, better than from any other TV- or Video-in-card I have ever seen. And the good thing with the Nova is that it writes .mpg files to the HD directly. Most other satellite cards write .pva streams that have to be converted afterwards.
The drawback with the Nove is that it has no hardware mpeg2 decompression so that the cpu-load is a little bit higher when watching the video than with the WinTV DVB-s, for example, but if you can watch DVDs without hardware decompression, this card will do fine, too.

Sibe

Frogbutt
27th January 2002, 08:56
Do you live in the us? I was under the impression that the satalite capture cards didnt work in the US only in europe.

sibe
27th January 2002, 12:48
It's working for me because I actually live in Europe (Germany to be precise). Sorry for not mentioning this.

Sibe

hallux13
29th January 2002, 23:12
The original question was how to capture from satellite, and the answer is it's very easy using an AIW card. I have Satellite and all i did was split the RCA video and audio cords and ran one set to my AIW card. The quality rocks! If you use coax from your satellite box to your tv it won't work (it's crappier quality anyway) Try using the RCA cords (yellow, red and white ones but you allready new that)

I have a question that is been buggin me. When I try to capture in this method using virtual dub and Windows XP all is well. But I went back to win 2000 cause xp really sucks and now vdub tells me no capture drivers are available. I have installed direct x 8.1 and the video capture update all with no luck. Any advice is much appreciated. Thank you

PS I have the AIW Radeon with all the latest drivers installed.

waldok
30th January 2002, 09:54
Yes, I do the same, I capture from the satellite receiver outputs (had to build a specific SCART to RCA adapter) using ATI AIW composite video input . It works fine, but I plan to try to build a Scart to S-video adapter to get the S-Video signal out of the receiver and to use the S-Video input on my ATI card. Should improve quality I think.

But it's true that quality I have for the moment with composite video is OK.

Waldok:cool:

Frogbutt
31st January 2002, 02:01
Finally heard back from hauppauge on news of a US card. They say its in devlopment so it will probably be awhile still, but at least they are bringing one out.

"We have a US version in development, however, bare minimum it will require a much larger dish than a direct TV normally uses, normally a 28-36 inch size dish would be required."

Pojken Purken
1st February 2002, 23:28
You better check with TechnoTrend instead http://www.technotrend.de since Hauppauge's cards are OEMs of theirs. Seems they're taking the easy way out here...

Regards
PP

Darksoul71
14th February 2002, 09:25
@sumotherdude:
As I live in Germany and donīt know anything on DirecTV or Dishnetwork, I can only comment the european satellite stuff.

OK, if you talk about direct capture from satellite signal I think youīre talking about the pure DVB stream, arenīt you ?

If so, this depends on your "provider". If he uses a standard interface for his keykard and itīs not "married" with a decoder (like UKīs sky box), you can use a DVB-S card from Technotrend, Hauppauge, etc in order to write the decoded stream to HD. After this you can convert it to any format you like.

For DVD you have to reencode in 99,9% of the broadcast as they mostly use "non DVD" resolutions.

If youīre key card doesnīt have a standartized interface (like CAM) and/or is married with your decoding box you have two possibilities:
1) Capturing analogue (Iīll refer to this below)
2) Get a decoding box with integrated harddisk
If you box already has a HD to suite as VCR/PVR you might have a chance to connect this HD to your PC and get your material in broadcast quality. Unfortunately in most cases this HD will have either a special format (no FAT, FAT32, NTFS, etc) or will be encrypted. So you have to stick to method 1.

Analogue capture:
I've read about ADS Technologies USB Instant DVD here and on their web site. Would that work or has anyone here used one?

OK, no realtime, and esp. no USB realtime, MPEG2 capture solution will give you "broadcast" quality unless you capture with very high bitrates (so you canīt fit more than 90 min to a standard DVD-R).

Unfortunately you donīt give any specific infoīs on your hardware (CPU, HD, RAM, what connections has your receiver).

I can only tell you how I would do it:
1) Connect your capture card directly to the receiver with a S-VHS cable (much sharper source picture compared to composite/RCA). Use SHORT cables (2 m/6 feet max) in order to keep high signal strength. Use high quality cables and no cheap crap. Of course you could solder your own cable using coaxial cables for each SVHS signal.

2) Capture in the highest res and (MOST IMPORTANT) the highest datarate your capture device supports.
For your ATI and NTSC this would mean:
720x480 (or 640x480)
MPEG2 in highest datarate (15 MBit ?) or better in AVI using Huffyuv as Codec.
Basicly AVI in lossless codec or MJPEG is much better for reencoding than MPEG2 (esp. the ATI software MPEG2).

3) Reencode to your target movie size using VDub (with filters) and a good MPEG2 encoder.

This will definitly take a long time (depending on your CPU power) but the quality is worth it.

BTW: The "analogue way" is definitly not the worst and if done right itīs pretty hard to tell if a movie is done from analogue captured material or from a DVB stream.

@Terenius:
On a side note, does anyone notice that DirecTV has very crappy image quality? It became painfully obvious when I started watching on a 60" TV. There were large macroblocks all over the picture, really distracting.

That is a clear sign that your provider has choosen a higher compression ratio for his channels in order to save bandwith for other channels or to save money. Please note that a analogue satellite signal can look ways better that a heavily compressed DVB MPEG2 signal.

-D$

FAC
27th February 2002, 20:45
Hi, you could use TiVo(could be hacked) and TivoNet. It is a card that basically network your TiVo to your PC so you can download TiVo hard drive to your PC to edit,burn,etc. DirectTV uses a propietary video encription and you need an access card(hackeable too) to get service,Check this site for more info:
http://pvrhack.sonnik.com/tivo/tivonet.asp
FAC

mak-9
3rd March 2002, 18:31
I use Dazzle Digital video creator II to capture through the S-Video out on the Dish Network Gear then burn SVCD's. Although it's a laborous task the results are great, or good enough for non professional SVCD Mpeg2 creation.;)

FAC
4th March 2002, 12:16
The problem with the video capture card is unless you have one that does it to mpeg, you have to do a lot of work. I was using a PixelView that captures to AVI, then convert to mpeg1/2. Then I realised I will need a dedicated computer only to capture,edit,burn. The advantages of TiVo are not only you don't need a dedicated computer but you will have instant replay, etc. I know you can get same results with All in Wonder, but they are not cheap.
FAC

RickB
18th March 2007, 20:44
Sky+, (A Sky box with a harddrive), enable me to capture satalite TV. Can I then put this on my PC and burn to DVD?

DrP
19th March 2007, 01:14
Only by playing back the recordings and capture with a video capture card of some type.

AHelpingHand
20th March 2007, 13:10
I have ATI AIW 128, I've tried many formats to capture and I've found out that the best format is MPEG2 with the software that comes with ATI because it uses the hardware encoder built in the card.

TommyV22
26th July 2008, 20:58
OK I am totally new to this. I have a DirecTV HR-20 HD DVR. I would like to back up some HD programs onto my HDD. I know there is no way to "hack" these boxes like Tivos. What is the best way to get things off the DVR? I have a HTPC I built in the same rack so I can connect up any HW I need to. My guess is capture Component video/SPDIF. Is there a way to do this? I have an external capture device that came with Avid liquid pro and I believe it has both component and SPDIF inputs. I have never used it much because the editing PC I have Avid on has firewire and that is what I used to capture video off my camcorder for editing.

If I can use this capture box what SW do I need? Any tips would be appreciated. I did not want to start a new thread so I figured this was the best place to post this. Thanks.

drbuzz0
18th August 2008, 19:36
Anyone know any products that will allow to capture directly from a satellite signal, say like DirecTV or Dishnetwork? I've been looking and haven't found anything worthwhile. I currently capture with an ATI AIW and would like to do a little better quality to burn onto DVD.

Thanks,

sumotherdude

There are a couple of ways to do it. The simplest way is to just capture the analog video output from the satellite receiver. Assuming you're just doing standard definition stuff than it's just an issue of looking for a good capture card. S-video will give you a better picture than composite and if you use a reasonably short and decent quality cable with a good capture card there won't be any noticable degradation of the video.

If you want to capture HD you will need an HD resolution capture device like the new WinTV one. You'll have to capture it from the analog component video out, but it will still be HD quality. The fact that it is digital to analog and back to digital is less than ideal, but if you hook it up well and it's all grounded with good cables the degradation should be extremely minimal.

If you really want to do it as best as possible then the best thing you could do would be to bypass the whole decoding and capture the raw transfer stream data which has the Mpeg-2 or Mpeg-4 data from the satellite transmission. This means no reencoding and no analog at all but it's a bit more involved. For Dish network, you can theoretically capture it from a DVB satellite card. You'll also need a card reader to read your subscription card for access. You *could* also use a method of getting the channels decoded without a valid subscription, but I won't even talk about that. The use of non-approved equipment is a grey area as is.

For DirecTV you're pretty much out of luck for capturing the stream. There was a software system DSSCR which could decode DSS streams over a DVB card but I don't know if it's still avaliable and anyway it didn't work with new receiver accounts and was a bit buggy (sound got out of sync for one thing).

Basically you're better off just using a capture card, at least at this point.

Blue_MiSfit
20th August 2008, 02:32
blackmagic-design has some cool new HD capture solutions - take a look :)

~MiSfit