PDA

View Full Version : AC3 --> 6 mono WAV --> DTS

MKVCrazy
30th October 2008, 11:58
Hi, I wasn't sure if this will give me better audio or not. :confused:

I have an AC3 audio @ 448kb/s want it to be in DTS 768kb/s.

I know how to convert to DTS but do you think I will make better audio? I don't worry about the size.

Please comment if this is worth converting or not with reasons why.

:thanks:
MKVCrazy

madshi
30th October 2008, 13:17
Transcoding audio from one format to another *NEVER* gives you better audio quality. The only reason to transcode audio is to either improve compatability (e.g. transcoding from a strange format to a common format) or to save space. Actually transcoding from one lossy codec to another lossy codec (which AC3 -> DTS is) decreases audio quality.

MKVCrazy
1st November 2008, 13:07
Transcoding audio from one format to another *NEVER* gives you better audio quality. The only reason to transcode audio is to either improve compatability (e.g. transcoding from a strange format to a common format) or to save space. Actually transcoding from one lossy codec to another lossy codec (which AC3 -> DTS is) decreases audio quality.

Oh. Will it still sound good like the original? or will be as bad as unable to listen?

Thank you for taking your time to response. :rolleyes:

MKVCrazy

nautilus7
1st November 2008, 13:24
The output will be good enough to listen, but WHY trsanscode it in the first place?

MKVCrazy
1st November 2008, 15:37
The output will be good enough to listen, but WHY trsanscode it in the first place?

Yea, after reading your replies I feel stupid to do that haha.
I guess it's better leave it as AC3. I like to see DTS-HD instead of seeing AC3 in the Mediainfo haha.

:thanks:
MKVCrazy

frogman
9th November 2008, 01:14

Following this thread I was just trying to do the same thing with AC3 5.1 audio files and transcode them to raw wave. Learning transcoding audio tools. Later on I will encode them into DTS HD with DTS Pro Encoder. I still would like to try this out on my rip DVD's that only have AC3 5.1 audio only tracks.

Does anyone have a avs script for ac3 5.1 to raw channel wave output that they can post or can aften do this and if so what would the command line be. ie: input.ac3 ---->LF output.wav, RF output.wav, FC output.wav, sub LTF output.wav SRL output.wav, SRR output.wav

I hope my channel mapping here is expressed correctly here!

As someone else around here expressed ...the lack of 7.1 tools.

The only thing I hate about dts audio right now, is that the PS3 currently does not stream it. I am hoping that in future some Sony PS3 update will allow this. Currently you have to burn backup disc for PS3 to play DTS audio. But I really prefer to use my media server to deliver my video.

This is a much more environmentally friendlier way to update older DVD collection,

tebasuna51
9th November 2008, 02:30
Does anyone have a avs script for ac3 5.1 to raw channel wave output that they can post or can aften do this and if so what would the command line be. ie: input.ac3 ---->LF output.wav, RF output.wav, FC output.wav, sub LTF output.wav SRL output.wav, SRR output.wav

You can do the job with:
eac3to input.ac3 Prefix.wavs

But if you want an avs is so simple than a OpenAc3.avs script:

NicAc3Source("input.ac3")
But AviSynth can output only a wav file, you need a little util to split to monowavs, the command line:

Wavi "OpenAc3.avs" - | WavSplit - "Prefix.wav" -ignorelength
Then you obtain monowavs like:
Prefix_FL.wav, Prefix_FR.wav, ...

Or without avs file with Bepipe:

Bepipe --script "NicAc3Source(^input.ac3^)" | WavSplit - "Prefix.wav" -ignorelength
(WavSplit and Bepipe are included in BeHappy package)

frogman
9th November 2008, 14:12
Thanks tebasuna51, will try out some of these methods later on today. Madshi tool ea3to seems like the quickest method but this give me a chance to learn bepipes and wavsplit. So I'll do that as well. Isn't testing fun when you got the right command line and tools available!

btw: tebasuna51, the other day you posted some monowaves files in other thread. I did manage to produce a DTS HD output.

Audio
Format : DTS-HD
Format/Info : Digital Theater Systems
Bit rate mode : Variable
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Surround: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Resolution : 16 bits

nautilus7
9th November 2008, 15:22
DTS pro encoder only makes DTS (and DTS-ES). To make DTS-HD track you need the DTS Master Audio suite. Do you have it?

frogman
9th November 2008, 16:28
DTS pro encoder only makes DTS (and DTS-ES). To make DTS-HD track you need the DTS Master Audio suite. Do you have it?

Here is my output based on those mono wavs:
As reported by mediainfo.

Currently not at the computer where DTS encoder is install at so I can't tell you version.

Sample link:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/urc8vg

tebasuna51
9th November 2008, 17:31
As reported by mediainfo.

Sample link:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/urc8vg

MediaInfo is wrong (also report for me like DTS-HD)

your sample is DTS-ES matrix.