PDA

View Full Version : AviSynth - I can't get started

torpare
9th October 2008, 09:49
Hi
This is going to make me look like an idiot but I'm desperate so here goes.

I'm trying to teach myself the basics of AviSynth, using AvsP as text editor. Having created an .avs file (with just an AviSource and one filter in it), upon trying to open that file with either MPC or VirtualDub I get an error message "unable to open (filename).avi - error code 3".

Please can anybody tell me why this is happening and what to do about it? (I've searched on "error code 3" but got no matches).

buzzqw
9th October 2008, 11:02
post the script ?

BHH

FlimsyFeet
9th October 2008, 12:14
http://avisynth.org/mediawiki/Troubleshooting

(BTW you don't need to use VirtualDub or MPC - just hit 'F5' and AvsP will preview the video for you)

torpare
9th October 2008, 13:43
I was trying to be as brief as poss but perhaps I overdid it!

Here's the procedure I was trying to carry out:-

"If you've never used AviSynth before, here's a quick example of how it works. Let's say you have an avi file on your hard drive, "C:\test.avi". Put the following text in a new text document:

AviSource("C:\test.avi")
Blur(1.0)

Save the text document as "C:\test.avs" (note the file extension!), then open the document with your media player of choice (windows media player, media player classic, mplayer, etc). If AviSynth is intalled on your computer, you should see the original video with a blurred image."

The quote comes from AvsP's 'Help' file, a doc called "Overview of AvsP", which starts with a section called "About AviSynth".

So my script was as you see above, except that the path/filename is different. Having saved it as (filename).avs
I tried opening it with mpc first and when I got the error message I tried VDub (to check that the problem wasn't peculiar to mpc).

I've now found that if I delete line 2 of my script and just try to open the .avi file in AvsP's preview panel, I get the same error message "error code 3". Likewise if I try to open the file from within mpc.

Yet if I double-click on that file itself, mpc plays it - no problem.

Call me stupid but I don't get it.

EDIT
Sorry, my mistake! Double-clicking on the .avs file doesn'r work either (I was mixing-up the files)

buzzqw
9th October 2008, 13:53
avisource need the codec installed, remember

try with directshowsource

BHH

torpare
9th October 2008, 15:35
Sorry guys, I've been wasting your time - as well as mine

I'm embarassed to say I've now realised what I did wrong. Instead of opening my .avi sample file via 'File->Open...' I manually entered it:stupid: Result: - the path was wrongly entered.

Sorry I bothered you but thanks anyway:thanks: