PDA

View Full Version : Hardcoding sub to h264

Frogleg88
5th October 2008, 04:51
I have a MKV file with h264 video and soft .ass subtitles and I want to be able to make it a MP4 without converting. Is it not possible? If I need to hardcode the sub to h264, what can I use to do that?

click2
5th October 2008, 06:31
You can remux to MP4 without converting by using mp4box / yamb / megui. To hardsub, though, you will need to reconvert, which i'll let someone else explain.

Frogleg88
5th October 2008, 16:39
You can remux to MP4 without converting by using mp4box / yamb / megui. To hardsub, though, you will need to reconvert, which i'll let someone else explain.

Hmm, I know that it takes an hour or two to convert h264 to xvid. If I hardcode the subtitles and leave it at h264 and reconvert, will it still take the same time as hardcoding subs from h264 to xvid? Although is there a program that can burn subs into the h264 without turning it to xvid?

saint-francis
5th October 2008, 20:44
Hmm, I know that it takes an hour or two to convert h264 to xvid. If I hardcode the subtitles and leave it at h264 and reconvert, will it still take the same time as hardcoding subs from h264 to xvid? Although is there a program that can burn subs into the h264 without turning it to xvid?

If you want the subtitles to be part of the video you will need to re encode it. There is no way around it. Why would you want to change h264 to xvid?:confused: What's wrong with the format of the video right now? Why do you want to hard code the subtitles? You can change the subtitle format if the player you are using doesn't like .ass.

click2
5th October 2008, 23:13
If it takes an hour or two to convert to xvid, it will take five times that long to convert to H264 again. Reencoding is necessary to hardsub, but it's a silly idea really - as you're approximating an approximated stream and so forth, and inducing generational compression errors and the like... You should definitely think about whether this is really necessary =\

If you do persist however, the basic hardsubbing method is to create an avisynth script to load both movie and subtitle, load into virtualdub or megui, and export to format of your choice.

rica
6th October 2008, 00:35
OK,
This might give an idea:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1165883#post1165883

_ _ _ _