PDA

View Full Version : How to burn a simple Image of a video DVD?

Osiris
4th October 2008, 19:38
I made an image from several video DVDs, e. g. Catwoman DL-DVD, EAN 7321921314506, by making a low-level copy (cat /dev/sr0 > catwoman.iso, or via ddrescue, after slowing down the drive via hdparm). This image on HDD works fine with mplayer and VLC media player, but when i try to burn it (direct, not as a file on data disc), e. g. with k3b, the result is a DVD that VLC media player can not play correct: I see artefacts like many colorfull squares in the video and the menu. :(
First i thought the error is in the drive or the disc, but i made a data DVD with the image as a simple file and this works without errors (and sha512sum is correct), but the data DVD can't be played by a DVD player.
So what went wrong at burning the Image direct and how can i correct it? :confused:

talen9
5th October 2008, 00:48
I suggest you try with cdrecord, from the command line, with a special eye for the option "-raw", "-raw96r", "-isosize", ....

Reading the cdrecord manpage is mandatory, of course.

Osiris
11th October 2008, 12:03
Ok, i will try it. :thanks:
Via cmp i found out, that the burned Bytes are equal to the Bytes in the original image, but the last 12288 Bytes are missing!

Osiris
12th October 2008, 22:57
Ok, i tried it, but DL-DVD burning worked only with one out of three drives and only with k3b; cdrecord stops with an I/O error :(

At checking a second time, i found out that the 12288 Bytes are not missing; they are too much! They are only 0x00, but the reason of the errors.

CWR03
13th October 2008, 00:38
Perhaps something went wrong when you ripped the DVD, or the disk has an advanced copy protection that needs to be properly removed. With what app did you create the image?

Try re-ripping the disk with DVD Fab HD Decrypter in file mode, then use ImgBurn to burn it.

setarip_old
13th October 2008, 07:27
@Osiris

IMGBurn works under Linux (Not just Windows). Try using it to burn your DVD...

Osiris
14th October 2008, 01:12
With what app did you create the image?

I used dd and tested with cat: Both give the same Image, due to cmp -b.
VLC media player and mplayer can play that image without errors.

Thanks for the replys but i have no DVD player; only some of my friends. Because they also have a PC, they can play the image directly, e. g. from an USB key. ;)
So i'm finished with burning discs, because even for burning a DL-DVD i hat to test three sorts of blank DL-DVDs to be able to burn one DL-DVD without errors (only verbatim blank DL-DVD worked without errors). :eek: