PDA

View Full Version : Help converting 720P to DVD

Capsbackup
4th September 2008, 01:23
I have been trying to convert a college football game recorded from Comcast HD DVR. First i use VideoRedo to trim commercials, everything good so far. DGIndex reports: Transport Stream, 1280x720, 16x9, 59.940fps, NTSC, Progressive, Frame, Bottom. Following some posts on this subject, i use DGIndex to demux to D2V and AC3 3/2 384kbps audio. Then create AVISynth script as follows:

LoadPlugin("C:\Documents and Settings\Fred\Desktop\DVD Tools\DGMPGDEC 150\DGDecode.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\Decomb.dll")
MPEG2Source("H:\Cal vs Mich 1\Cal vs Michigan State 1st half.d2v")
SelectEven()
Decimate(5)
Crop(4,4,-4,-4)
Lanczos4Resize(720,480)
ConvertToYUY2()
AudioDub(BlankClip())

I use CCE to encode, and DVDMaestro to build the DVD. Picture quality looks good, audio is in sync, but video seems to stutter just a little on playback as if the frame rate conversion is not correct. So i tried HDTV2DVD and the picture looks good with no stutter at all. So i know i am missing something or doing something incorrectly. Can anyone please give me some helpful advice.

4th September 2008, 03:21
You probably set the field order wrongly when you encoded.

Capsbackup
4th September 2008, 05:55
Thanks for your reply. I thought of that since DGIndex reported Field order as bottom, so i ran the .m2v thru Restream and unticked "top field first", so now both the .ts file and the .m2v report the same ( neither shows top field first box checked ) in Restream. I still have a slight stutter on playback. Would this change in Restream have corrected the field order? Does my AVS script look OK?

4th September 2008, 13:56
You shouldn't be guessing and experimenting with the field order. You need to determine what field order your script is delivering and set it definitively in your encoder. There is a FAQ at my web site that describes how to do that.

Please post a link to a sample of your source TS that produces the stutter so that we may duplicate your issue.

Capsbackup
4th September 2008, 17:26
Thanks again, but i did not think i was guessing, just trouble shooting. Original .TS file, as reported above, says progressive, bottom field order. So after encoding with CCE and running thru pulldown, .m2v says top field. So thinking i made a mistake i tried changing the field order in Restream to see if that would correct the problem. It did not. Trying your suggestion with Virtual Dub confirms progressive video, for both assumetff() and assumebff(), plays smoothly for both, no jumping back and forth. Thus, field order does not matter, according to your faq - "Additionally, if the clip is progressive, motion will be correct for both AssumeTFF() and AssumeBFF(), i.e., field order does not matter". Please note that source .TS did not stutter on playback, since it was the original Comcast HD capture to DVR and play back from the DVR was perfect. Only the CCE encoded video burned to DVD-R stuttered when played back on the set top Sony DVD player. The HDTV2DVD encode did not stutter either, it just does not give bitrate control of the project. However, i tried another encode last night using this script:
LoadPlugin("C:\Documents and Settings\Fred\Desktop\DVD Tools\DGMPGDEC 150\DGDecode.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\Decomb.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\BT709ToBT601.dll")
MPEG2Source("H:\Cal vs Mich 1\Cal vs Michigan State 1st half.d2v")
BT709ToBT601()
FDecimate()
Crop(4,4,-4,-4)
Lanczos4Resize(720,480)
ConvertToYUY2()
AudioDub(BlankClip())

This encode played back good with no stutter at all. So now i wonder if it was my first script was the problem, or if that script was correct, why the second script worked and the first did not. Here i am guessing! This is new to me and i have been trying to read and follow the suggestions of this forum, so any additional advice is appreciated.

4th September 2008, 19:01
Need your source sample, as I asked for.

Capsbackup
4th September 2008, 23:12
I have a 44mb, 25 second sample to upload, if thats enough, but i cant remember how or where to upload it to, never done this before ( sorry !). Can you let me know how, and thanks for trying to solve this for me.

jeffy
4th September 2008, 23:29
http://www.mediafire.com/

Capsbackup
5th September 2008, 00:00
Thanks jeffy. Here is the sample.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/q9o7qzbdrce/Cal vs Michigan State 1st half UP.ts

5th September 2008, 00:48
It's video 720P @ 59.97 fps, not film. So the Decimate(5) should be omitted. That is only for restoring a film rate.

Capsbackup
5th September 2008, 05:02
Thanks neuron2, so now if i use the first script example above and leave out the Decimate(5), when i encode with CCE should i select 29.97 framerate? I was selecting 23.976 and performing pull down after the encode, but that would appear to be if it was film. Also, would i select progressive/zigzag or alternate. Your help and time is much appreciated!!

5th September 2008, 05:58
Thanks neuron2, so now if i use the first script example above and leave out the Decimate(5), when i encode with CCE should i select 29.97 framerate? Yes.

I was selecting 23.976 and performing pull down after the encode, but that would appear to be if it was film. Also, would i select progressive/zigzag or alternate. Your help and time is much appreciated!! No pulldown because it's already 29.97. It's progressive video so you figure out the rest. :)