PDA

View Full Version : Wrong subtitle aspect ratio when playing DVD

mahsah
21st August 2008, 08:40
After solving one of my other DVD playback problems by not using VLC, I discovered another that seems to be more prevalent.

When I play a DVD, the aspect ratio of the subtitle is wrong (it is very stretched out). Is there any software that can correct this scaling error?

Thanks.

setarip_old
21st August 2008, 09:03
After solving one of my other DVD playback problems by not using VLCAs I responded to that thread about "ghosting" (which you've since apparently deleted), I would again say:

What you've described here (wrong subtitle aspect ratio) is very unusual for a commercial DVD.

1) What is the title and Region number of the DVD?

2) What are you using for playback (SAP or software player? If software player, which one?

mahsah
21st August 2008, 22:15
1. Gurren-Lagann Volume 1. Region 1.

2. Media player Classic.

setarip_old
21st August 2008, 23:00
1) Do the subs display properly when you play the DVD on a standalone DVD player?

2) Which version you have? - "Vol. 1:Breakout" (Studio - AVD, 1 disc) (Discontinued), "01" (Studio - Bandai, 2discs), or "01 Special Edition" (Studio - Bandai, 2 discs)?

3) Do the subs of this DVD display properly when using other players, such as Windows Media Player, VLC, WinDVD, PowerDVD?

mahsah
22nd August 2008, 00:14
Oh, I found a feature in powerdvd that does exactly what I need. ("Read-It-Clearly")

Guess I'll have to shell out some cash for it though...

setarip_old
22nd August 2008, 01:30
a feature in powerdvd that does exactly what I needGlad to hear that one of the players I mentioned works for you (Have you tried the others?), but I'd ask you again:

1) Do the subs display properly when you play the DVD on a standalone DVD player?

2) Which version you have? - "Vol. 1:Breakout" (Studio - AVD, 1 disc) (Discontinued), "01" (Studio - Bandai, 2discs), or "01 Special Edition" (Studio - Bandai, 2 discs)?

mahsah
23rd August 2008, 07:01
Yeah, I tried the others, can't find a feature that does what I need.

1. Yes, but the TV I have it on isn't widescreen
2. 01 Bandai (not the special edition)