PDA

View Full Version : Avisynth - for Images?

shevegen
7th August 2008, 21:42
Exists something like Avisynth but for images?

I am asking because I like "scripting" instructions like Avisynth and I would think it could be nice to have something like this for images

Gavino
7th August 2008, 22:29
Well, you can do quite a lot with Avisynth itself, using ImageReader (http://avisynth.org/mediawiki/ImageReader) for input and ImageWriter (http://avisynth.org/mediawiki/ImageWriter) for output.

After all, a movie is just a series of still images, so any filters that work on one frame at a time will work just as well on images.

GIR
8th August 2008, 07:08
Exists something like Avisynth but for images?

I am asking because I like "scripting" instructions like Avisynth and I would think it could be nice to have something like this for images
I think I have an idea what you are suggesting, a while ago I had a similar idea.

Let use Paint Sho Pro as an example, say we make a new image format (avp), it would contain the image data and an embedded script, with things like, contrast, levels, etc. You could use a program to adjust all these things without actually affecting the image data, then open the .avp in PSP, PSP would have to support the format though, it would read the embedded script and apply the adjustments resizing etc. Of course PSP does have it's own scripting, but scripts cannot be embedded into actual images. Which is where something like avp would come in.

sybariten
21st September 2008, 20:19
I would really like to have something like that. In fact, i stumbled upon this thread just by a google search.

In essence, what i would like to have is a photo management program much like Adobes Lightroom or F-Spot on linux, but in a very "modular" way, and less sluggish than lightroom ofcourse.

I would like to keep all my photographs untouched in the folder structure i always keep, just by copying them from a memory card to the hard drive, deleting the most obviously unsuccessful ones.
I dont want to mess around with "tagging", i dont want some stupid program to name my folders for me, i dont want a function to "import" images from "the camera". I just want to copy them.

Then, there might be some images that i know i may use for something, give to someone or show publically. One in 40 maybe. The most typical treatment i might want to do with these is a resize, and sometimes a crop. After the resize, a light sharpening filter. This would be specified in a single independent script that accompanies the image. IMG_3432.jpg (or .cr2) and IMG_3432.scr (for script).
That way, when i look into a folder, i can quickly see if there are any images that are worth doing anything with.
And all the edits would be non-destructive, the script would save the image as a "render".

I think this is photo management in a way that suits me (and maybe only me). The script engine would need a GUI for the crop part though.....
Just thinking out loud here, sorry for being OT.

Gavino
22nd September 2008, 20:35
Again I will say that a lot (in fact, all the things mentioned by sybariten) can be done using Avisynth as your script language/engine. Things like overlays and masking, etc, etc, can also be added to the list. Add in AvsP as your GUI and you're more or less there.

mikeytown2
22nd September 2008, 21:37
In the past, I've made a simple script that resizes and sharpens using ImageMagick
http://www.imagemagick.org/script/index.php

Crop should have a GUI, thus it would be more complicated to do.

Anyway are some starting points
http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=49065
http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=58361
http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=54825
http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=58060

pcordes
14th February 2009, 22:03
Yay for thread necro, but I found this while looking for something else, and I have a hopefully useful reply

I would really like to have something like that. In fact, i stumbled upon this thread just by a google search.

In essence, what i would like to have is a photo management program much like Adobes Lightroom or F-Spot on linux, but in a very "modular" way, and less sluggish than lightroom ofcourse.

I would like to keep all my photographs untouched in the folder structure i always keep, just by copying them from a memory card to the hard drive, deleting the most obviously unsuccessful ones.
I dont want to mess around with "tagging", i dont want some stupid program to name my folders for me, i dont want a function to "import" images from "the camera". I just want to copy them.

Then, there might be some images that i know i may use for something, give to someone or show publically. One in 40 maybe.

I feel the same way about photo management. I haven't seen anything that I like well enough to want to "import" my stuff into it. I keep my camera originals, or losslessly transformed versions (e.g. lossless JPEG rotate based on EXIF data with exifautotran), and maybe run jpegoptim. I use GNU/Linux exclusively, so my picture management is just based on directories and hard links. (actually, NTFS supports hard links, but I think most windows GUI stuff doesn't deal very well with them.)

Anyway, I keep my originals in directories like 2008-Robots-East, so divided by the occasion I took them on. e.g. one directory for a whole trip, or with subdirectories for different cities in a really big trip. Whatever. If I want to define another set, I make a new directory (maybe called 2008-Robots-East.highlights), and ln ../2008-Robots-East/img_1234.jpg . to make a hardlink for the pictures I want in it. So you get a directory with just the pics you want, and you're not taking any extra disk space, because it's just another filename/directory entry for the same blob of data on disk. Then you can run e.g. an HTML gallery creator like igal and put a symlink to that directory from your ~/public_html/pics, to make them accessable through the web server I run on my home machine.

If you want to edit a pic, you can do that, and the hardlink will end up getting replaced by a separate file. (Usual file replace procedure for Unix software is: save to a temporary name, and rename(2) to the desired filename). Some text editors notice that a file has multiple links, and rewrite it in place when you save, even if they normally just write a new file and rename it over the old one. So if some program is to clever for its own good, you'd lose the original. Then you'd have to restore it from your backups. So update your backup of your pics directory before you do anything that might overwrite in place.

so to summarize: keep all your originals in directories by when you took them. hard link them to other directories to group them in other ways, or to leave out whatever you want.

This lets you do some of the things you could with tags, but not all. It's usually enough for me, since I usually just put my pics on my web site and don't do much else with them.