PDA

View Full Version : Trouble backing up a series.

wezman2k
27th July 2008, 08:16
Hey guys, I'm wondering if you can help me out. There's a cartoon series I'd like to back up as AVI...I'm using OS X Leopard 10.5.4.

I don't want to keep the dvd copies on my computer, takes too much hard drive space. I'd like to know how to take each episode and rip it to my computer as AVI. I may like to use these avi files later on for my ipod.

Right now I've just got the video_ts folders. The Problem is that between the VOB files some episodes overlap, but I basicall want a separate AVI per episode. Any idea how I can do this?

I have VisualHub. I was thinking I could just create one huge AVI of each disc, then use Quicktime to cut the AVI files per episode. Would any of you do this differently?

Thanks!

cogman
27th July 2008, 14:12
Try handbrake. It will make mp4's but they are generally superior in quality to whatever you would (should) put in an AVI file.

wezman2k
27th July 2008, 16:54
is there any difference between handbrake and visualhub?

nm
27th July 2008, 20:39
HandBrake is free and open-source software.

I'm not familiar with VisualHub, but apparently it is designed for converting various video files to DVD and some other specific formats, not that much DVD ripping (http://www.techspansion.com/support-faq.php#whatvhisnt). HandBrake, on the other hand, is mainly a DVD ripper.

With HandBrake, you can use x264 for H.264 encoding, including iPod as a target device. I'm not sure which encoder VisualHub contains.

wezman2k
27th July 2008, 21:00
Ripping the dvd for me is the easy part. The hard part is encoding them.

The problem is that after ripping I end up with a set of VOB files. Each VOB file is not a separate episode, however, they're all linked together.

So the 1st VOB file will have like 2 and 3/4 episodes. I wanna make smaller compressed files for each episode, like mp4 or AVI so I can later put them on my iPod etc. What I've been doing is converting the whole disc into 1 big mp4 file, then clipping each episode manually.

Is there a better way to do this?

nm
27th July 2008, 22:16
By DVD ripper I meant a program that is designed to use DVD as an input format. HandBrake both rips and re-encodes the video.

Your problem is that you're not using the right tool for the job. I'm pretty sure that the episodes are separated from each other, either as titles or chapters. HandBrake and other similar DVD-ripping/re-encoding tools allow you select the titles or even a specific range of chapters that will be converted.

wezman2k
28th July 2008, 03:07
thanks bro, this does exactly what i need. i'd heard of handbrake before but i didn't think it was really any different than the mactheripper/visualhub combo.

awesome.