PDA

View Full Version : HCenc Multiple Encoder Processes?

rack04
13th July 2008, 20:28
In the last two versions of DVDRebuilder Pro I have been having difficulty running HCenc using Multiple Encoder Processes. I'm runing a Q6600 and I'm only seeing 0-5% usage on each core. Disabling Multiple Encoder Processes works fine.

One other thing that I notice is that the page file usage climbs to almost 3 gig. I have only 2 gig on mem installed.

jdobbs
13th July 2008, 21:49
The disc swapping associated with the virtual memory will slow you down dramatically.

rack04
13th July 2008, 23:01
The disc swapping associated with the virtual memory will slow you down dramatically.

So does that mean that the 0-5% core useage is correct? At this rate it's going to take several hours when disabling "Multiple Encoder Processes" only take 55 mins.

jdobbs
14th July 2008, 00:30
How many cores to you have? I know on my quad-core I get a better time when setting the number of processes to 3. If you are limited to 2GB, I would not increase the number beyond what can be done in real (rather than virtual) memory.

I couldn't tell you about the 0-5% -- but it sounds awfully low. Mine is always close to maximum.