PDA

View Full Version : Lossless 29.970 -> 23.976. Possible?

j7n
9th June 2008, 09:03
Is it possible to modify an existing MPEG-2 video removing all pulldown instructions, so that it plays at true 23.976 fps? I've seen a tool for VC-1 doing this, but not MPEG-2. Would such a conversion help reduce jerky motion?

G_M_C
9th June 2008, 09:06
Use the search Luke ... Use the search ....

9th June 2008, 13:18
DGPulldown can do it. Read the instructions.

j7n
16th June 2008, 16:52
Thank you, Neuron2. I will check out your program.

__

Edit: I've got video delay by this method. Does this mean that there are genuine NTSC frames and lossless analog of Force Film is impossible?

Do MPEG-2 frames from a fake 29.970 stream get output at irregular intervals, or not? I can't see this for now because the computer is not equiped with Reclock, but I'm worried about how the files would play with a properly configured HTPC in the future.

16th June 2008, 18:58
Edit: I've got video delay by this method. What method? And what do you mean by video delay?

Does this mean that there are genuine NTSC frames I've no idea what you mean by a genuine NTSC frame.

and lossless analog of Force Film is impossible? Huh? Force Film is lossless for 3:2 pulldown.

Do MPEG-2 frames from a fake 29.970 stream get output at irregular intervals, or not? A fake stream? Do you mean a 3:2 pulled-down stream?

I can't see this for now because the computer is not equiped with Reclock, but I'm worried about how the files would play with a properly configured HTPC in the future. I have to say, you're not making much sense. 3:2 pulled-down streams play perfectly fine. If you remove the flags and mark them for 23.976 fps, then they will also play fine.

j7n
16th June 2008, 20:01
I have to say, you're not making much sense.
Apparently. :(

Sorry to bother you.

16th June 2008, 21:56
Apparently. :(

Sorry to bother you. You're not bothering me. I'm just pointing out that you are making little sense relative to standard terminology in the video field. I'm quite willing to try to help you if can clarify your terminology.

zeropc
19th June 2008, 04:46
neuron2, so dgpulldown can do an inverse telecine? i thought this tool was made to add a pulldown and not ivtc a file.

even you can do an ivtc with it, wouldn't it be bad thing to simply remove a pulldown if the source file was actually encoded at 29.976fps, even it's film based?

19th June 2008, 04:56
neuron2, so dgpulldown can do an inverse telecine? i thought this tool was made to add a pulldown and not ivtc a file. If the clip has 3:2 soft pulldown throughout, then clearing the pulldown flags and setting the frame rate back to film rate is equivalent to IVTC. DGPulldown can do that. It is a utility for manipulating pulldown flags; one of the supported manipulations is removing pulldown.

even you can do an ivtc with it, wouldn't it be bad thing to simply remove a pulldown if the source file was actually encoded at 29.976fps, even it's film based? No, why would you think that?

zeropc
20th June 2008, 05:35
i thought you mean the app could do that. would be to cool doing an ivtc from such a source without re-encoding ;)

thanks for clearing that up :)

20th June 2008, 06:01
i thought you mean the app could do that.
Yes, that is what I meant.