PDA

View Full Version : Copyright Error when capturing a VHS home movie via Canon MVX330i

John Jules
10th May 2008, 21:01
I have been attempting to capture my VHS home movies to AVI files on to my PC (into Windows Movie Maker) so that I can eventually make them into DVDs. I have been using my Canon MVX330i DV camcorder which has DV in as the capture device. I have done this in the past with some home videos for a friend and it has worked really well. Now I find that when I try it on my own VHS tapes that I intermittently get a 'Copyright Error' come up on the Canon and it stops capturing. I believe that this may be due to a weak sync signal on the VHS tape and I have tried a signal booster on the VCR output to my Canon but this causes the colour to change to monochrome! Does anyone know if there is a way to turn off the Copyright prevention function on the Canon?

setarip_old
11th May 2008, 18:52
Hi!

I know this won't help you resolve your problem but, I just wanted to note that the only time I'm aware of such notice arising is when one attempts to copy from a commercial, Macrovision-protected videotape...

John Jules
12th May 2008, 15:33
Hi!

I know this won't help you resolve your problem but, I just wanted to note that the only time I'm aware of such notice arising is when one attempts to copy from a commercial, Macrovision-protected videotape...
Hello Setarip_old (intriguing name?),
Yes, I've been told that the commercial VHS tapes use a weak sync signal to trigger the 'copyright protected' function but this also occurs erroneously on personally recorded tapes which might have deteriorated over time, such as the home movie I'm referring to. I just wondered if there was a way round the problem, maybe by using a specific type of PC capture card that anyone could recommend...or whatever...

yup
14th May 2008, 08:32
John Jules!
Try TBC (time base corrector)
http://www.converters.tv/products/colour_correction_48.html
This unit recover sync signal using automatic gain control at full frame or try use other VCR.
yup.