PDA

View Full Version : color in softsubs and other noob questions

dstarfire
18th April 2008, 04:55
Do any of the modern subtitle formats allow you to specify the text color on a line-by-line basis with some sort of color coding system?

On a related note, what do you do when your chosen ripping app occassionally tries to OCR only part of a character? Do you expand the character selection to the whole character then enter it, or simply enter the character as null/blank?

J_Darnley
18th April 2008, 10:19
Yes. SSA/ASS both support colours from very simple global settings, to different colours on different lines to changing colours.

In Subrip, it often tries to separate a % character into the upper circle, the slash and the lower circle. For this I just expand the character selection and then enter it as a % character.

dstarfire
20th April 2008, 21:55
Thank you very much for the info. Could you maybe point me to an app that can encode this info? I'm using subrip, and it asks me what colors to use overall when I try to save to either of those formats. Am I missing something here?

Yeah, I got that error once. Most commonly, though it would detect the bottom-left pixel of 'A' as a single character. I eventually started just manually entering every line with an 'A'.

J_Darnley
20th April 2008, 23:11
Subrip doesn't give you those options. It can only set the global style as you found out. To change the colour of some text you can either discover what the syntax is and edit the subs your self or use an application like Aegisub (http://www.malakith.net/aegiwiki/Main_Page). If you want to have whole lines having different colours then I would suggest you define two (or more styles) and then set the lines to the styles.