PDA

View Full Version : Splitting MP4 problem

unfortunateson
21st March 2008, 20:23
I encoded a dvd to x264, and want to split the large file into smaller mp4 files at specific times (chapter points on the dvd), but mp4box does not seem to split the beginnings of the chapters at the exact second i specify, therefore I cannot seamlessly concatenate them together, back into one big file. Is there a way to do exact splits at specific times so this works correctly?

setarip_old
21st March 2008, 21:29
Hi!

My curiosity has gotten the better of me.

I'm trying to understand WHY you want to split your file into multiple pieces - only to rejoin them again?

unfortunateson
21st March 2008, 21:58
upload individual songs of a concert to stream over the internet, which can each be downloaded, I want the ability to merge all of the tracks to enable seamless playback of the entire show.

Its too large to upload the entire concert as one file.

bond
22nd March 2008, 10:47
concert of what band?

moved to correct forum

unfortunateson
24th March 2008, 19:23
on topic, please :)

I have found it easier to split the chapters as VOBs before encoding to x264. But there is still a problem. After encoding, I merge the streams together, but there is a slight pause in the final file at the merge points.

Any ideas to be able to seamlessly merge?

bond
24th March 2008, 19:39
i repeat my question: of what band is the concert from. and beaware of rule 6. we dont allow discussion of illegal things

unfortunateson
25th March 2008, 00:05
I don't see how wanting to combine tracks alludes to any illegal activities, nor the relevance your question has with my original post.

The DVD is an audience bootleg recording of a concert, which is publically available. I can pm you a link if you feel that it would be of benefit towards answering my question (which I highly doubt).

Has anyone been able to seamlessly merge multiple splitted mp4 tracks?

artak
28th March 2008, 11:41
MP4Box is able to split only in random points, that's the reason.
However you can try to add more random points using MP4Box. Try "carousel" and/or "shadow" options for inserting random access points, then split the file.

unfortunateson
29th March 2008, 04:56
I've chose to pre-split the media by chapter before encoding, so my only problem is this:

I have found it easier to split the chapters as VOBs before encoding to x264. But there is still a problem. After encoding, I merge the streams together, but there is a slight pause in the final file at the merge points.