PDA

View Full Version : Copying a homemade dvd to region free

artietheonemanparty
29th February 2008, 17:50
I'm helping a friend set up a dvd burner, and the first thing he needs to do is make a copy of a dvd of his daughter's birthday party. The snag is, it needs to be playable in England, as he's sending it overseas (we're in the US). My only experience thus far is backing up movies using dvdshrink/dvdfabdecrypter, etc. I burn primarily with shrink using Nero, and I always make my disks region free.

Should i just use shrink to copy his disk, and specify region free? If I tell shrink to burn with a specific region code, do I need to change the region on the burner itself, using device manager (I prefer not to).

29th February 2008, 18:00
You can make it region free but your bigger problem is that you'll need to do an NTSC->PAL conversion.

artietheonemanparty
29th February 2008, 19:12
I never thought of that. What do I need/how do I do it?

29th February 2008, 19:39
:search:

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLD,GGLD:2005-08,GGLD:en&q=NTSC+to+PAL+conversion

setarip_old
29th February 2008, 20:32
@artietheonemanparty

Hi!

It may not be necessary to convert from NTSC to PAL, for playback in the UK:

1) From what I've read at the Doom9 Forum and many other forums, most standalone players and TVs in the UK can process NTSC DVDs as well as PAL DVDs

2) If the DVD is to be played on a computer, whether PAL or NTSC formatted makes no difference

burfadel
29th February 2008, 23:44
In Australia anyway, and I'm sure its the same in the UK as its cheaper for manufacturers to make world models (with slight regional modifications such as different power cables), just about every TV and DVD player can play NTSC. The main thing to note is that the devices need to be set to auto so they can switch between the different picture modes.

FlimsyFeet
3rd March 2008, 09:46
Yes, it's true, anyone in the UK should have absolutley no problem playing a region-free NTSC disc.