PDA

View Full Version : linux: how to dvd => mp4, avi for ps3?

seandarcy
16th February 2008, 04:45
after spending long hours figuring out how to use cli tools on linux to create dvd's from dv tape, it now turns out it's all for nought.

I now realize that I cannot stream video in dvd format to my shiny new ps3. I've got to convert it to an mpeg2 in avi or x264 in mp4, I think.

In any event, how do I convert dvd's stored as .iso's ( which can be loopback mounted to show the VIDEO_TS file structure) into something that can be streamed to a ps3.

I've seen the guides for Windows which use meGui ( nice piece of code!), but I haven't found a guide or a script that uses the linux tools.

Thanks for any help.

sean

froggy1
16th February 2008, 08:03
after spending long hours figuring out how to use cli tools on linux to create dvd's from dv tape, it now turns out it's all for nought.

I now realize that I cannot stream video in dvd format to my shiny new ps3. I've got to convert it to an mpeg2 in avi or x264 in mp4, I think.

In any event, how do I convert dvd's stored as .iso's ( which can be loopback mounted to show the VIDEO_TS file structure) into something that can be streamed to a ps3.

I've seen the guides for Windows which use meGui ( nice piece of code!), but I haven't found a guide or a script that uses the linux tools.

Thanks for any help.

sean

Hi,

try my script - http://h264enc.sourceforge.net

it has 2 PS3 video presets and also does remuxing of the AVI to MP4/MKV/OGM. You can directly encode the ISO with mencoder, without mounting it on a loop device, just provide as DVD device the path to the ISO image (including its name)

seandarcy
16th February 2008, 19:01
Thanks for the response. I found the h264 script terrific, but I'm not sure it's what I want.

What I think a want is a script - or even an ffmpeg\mencoder command line - that takes the contents of a VIDEO_TS directory and puts it in one big .avi container. I don't think I want to transcode the mpeg2 or the audio, just put it in a container that ps3 will recognize. And one big file so it's not like playing the .vob's one at a time.

I realize all the benefits of h264, but the video is already in a codec the ps3 will play. Any transcoding has got to increase noise by some, perhaps small, amount. I don't really care about the space - I don't have a lot of video and 1 terabyte drives are nearing $200!

In addition, the ps3 does a great job of upconverting SD dvd's. So I don't want to do and processing - just let the ps3 work it's own magic.

sean

froggy1
16th February 2008, 19:14
well here's the command line from my h264enc script (PS3 HQ profile)

mencoder dvd://1 -dvd-device /path/to/dir -o output.avi -oac faac -faacopts br=128:mpeg=4:object=2 -ovc x264 -x264encopts bitrate=1000:frameref=3:bframes=3:mixed_refs:b_adapt:b_pyramid:bime:weight_b:subq=6:me=umh:direct_pred=auto:partitions=p8x8,b8x8,i8x8,i4x4:deblock:trellis=1:cabac:8x8dct:nofast_pskip:nodct_decimate:threads=auto:level_idc=41

btw, you can also specify as DVD device the path to the VIDEO_TS folder and encode it with h264enc. Choose for DVD encodings, then as DVD device the top directory of the VIDEO_TS folder

you can also do

mencoder dvd://1 -dvd-device /path/to/dir -ovc copy -oac copy -o output.avi

this will copy the audio and video from the source and put it in an avi container, dunno if it'll play on the ps3 though

blaz
15th April 2008, 14:31
No the avi container won't work with the PS3, but an mpeg-2 container does:

mencoder dvd://2 -o temp.mpg -oac copy -ovc copy -of mpeg -mpegopts muxrate=12000

The muxrate helps with some errors, but I still get duplicate frame warnings.

But it looks and plays fine on the PS3, and streams fine using Mediatomb. Best of all, there are no 2GB file limitations or stuttering problems associated with avi or mp4 file formats on the PS3 (v2.20 and now I guess still with 2.30).

It's also fast compared to quality h.264 encoding, and with terabyte drives now available ... why transcode?