PDA

View Full Version : Capturing DV material using HufYuv

jse
11th January 2002, 09:53
Besides DVD work, I make a lot of DivX movies based on material from my DV camcorder. In general, I find that material captured with the DV codec have a compressability of around 50% compared to the average DVD rip. Having seen suggestions that analog capture may lead to better compressability, I have the following question:

If I capture DV material through the firewire card using the HufYuv codec instead of the MainConcept DV codec, will be similar to connecting the DV camera to an analog capture card? If I understand correctly, the reduced compresasbility and artifacts when making DivXs, are a result of using the DV codec as source.

If so, any suggestions to settings for the HufYuv codec? Anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks.

bb
11th January 2002, 19:02
Capturing DV material from your camcorder means to COPY the DV data from your tape digitally to your computer. It's not a real capture process. Your source format is DV already, so you cannot improve quality except by using filters like smoothers or denoisers.

bb

jse
11th January 2002, 19:34
Originally posted by bb
Capturing DV material from your camcorder means to COPY the DV data from your tape digitally to your computer. It's not a real capture process. Your source format is DV already, so you cannot improve quality except by using filters like smoothers or denoisers.

bb

I know I can't improve quality of the captured material. If I was to play the movie back to tape, I wouldn't even consider it.

What I am looking for, is to make the material more compressable. I was hoping that another codec than DV could be of help. With a more compressable source, I would be able to increase resolution or bitrate for the same filesize, resulting in a DivX of better quality.

That was my thought anyway, and there's been some discussion about this in another forum here. Concensus seemed to be that DV doesn't compress as well as analog captured material. But - perhaps I misunderstood the point...

Mark Fredrickson
16th January 2002, 06:09
Here's how to get the best compressed avi file out of your DV camcorder.

1. Install the MainConcept DV codec (trial version is ok).

2. Capture your DV 'using' the MainConcept DV codec. Note, you are just copying the video across, not compressing it. You need the MainConcept codec in the next step. If you query the properties of the captured avi file, it will say MCDVD under codec setting. That's just what it will be using to decode it.

3. Encode to DivX using VirtualDub.

That's it. Mine works great.

Mark.