PDA

View Full Version : hd-dvd and blu-ray iso playback

silentjay1980
4th January 2008, 03:25
so i recently upgraded my video card so i could pass cyberlinks requirements. now im running intel quad core 2.40 3 gig of ram and a geforce 8500 gt with 512 of ram. all on my samsung lcd tv via rgb at 1080p. when i mount isos in daemon tools and play with powerdvd ultra its still very choppy. i cant imagine this machine with these specs could possibly be to slow to play these. any ideas?

Sharktooth
4th January 2008, 14:27
fragmented files? low hard disk performance?... just a couple...

sarah99
4th January 2008, 17:21
Wrong version of powerdvd or wrong video drivers is more likely

silentjay1980
4th January 2008, 17:30
im running powerdvd 7.3 and my machine is brand new as of two days ago. 400gb sata hard drive. cant believe fragmentation is the problem

CruNcher
4th January 2008, 17:57
Vista or Xp ??? choppieness can come also from X264 mastered HD-DVDs as there are still problems it seems with Hardware playback under yet uknown circumstances. Try to disable Hardware Accelleration an see if the Choppieness goes away. If it's not a selfmastered HD-DVD X264 problem then most probably something is going wrong with the Hardware Accelleration on the 8500 try a different Forceware driver build then http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us.

silentjay1980
4th January 2008, 18:38
i just installed a newer version of powerdvd and nvidia purevideo, and so far it cleaned up the choppiness in old school and anchor man after a few seconds of playback... in about 8 hrs and 30 minutes ill be checking out a blu-ray iso.. :p . . .im on vista ultimate btw

silentjay1980
5th January 2008, 18:21
alright, im at the point where im about to give up. as powerful a machine as i have this shouldnt be happening. ive tried the following movies, anchorman, old school (hddvds), superbad (blu-ray), and transformers (hd-dvd). every single movie as an iso mounted in daemon tools plays super choppy. i have power dvd ultra 7.3... and nvidia pure video installed, anydvd as well, although i dont need it from what i can tell. what are the best codec packs i can use to play these isos smoothly. also is there a way to clear all the ones ive installed already and start from scratch without formatting and reinstalling windows?

IanD
15th January 2008, 14:53
so i recently upgraded my video card so i could pass cyberlinks requirements. now im running intel quad core 2.40 3 gig of ram and a geforce 8500 gt with 512 of ram. all on my samsung lcd tv via rgb at 1080p. when i mount isos in daemon tools and play with powerdvd ultra its still very choppy. i cant imagine this machine with these specs could possibly be to slow to play these. any ideas?
I'm sure I read somewhere that there is an issue with PowerDVD and quadcore CPUs and the workaround is to disable 2 of the cores. Not what someone who has spent money on a quad core wants to hear, but hopefully there is a fix real soon.

Sorry, don't have a link, but try googling.

15th January 2008, 15:00
Is it choppy when you play back the DVDs rather than the ISOs?

twka90
22nd January 2008, 03:44
Is it choppy when you play back the DVDs rather than the ISOs?

I have a problem similar to original poster -- PowerDVD stutters like hell. Some background: my machine is half-decent: dual core Opteron at 2.6GHz, ATI X1950Pro (AGP, no hardware decoding acceleration here), 4GB RAM, LG HD-DVD/Blu-Ray combo drive, WinXP 32bit. Both GPU drivers and PowerDVD are the latest available versions as of last week.

When I try to play HD-DVD (Bourne ultimatum -- 1080p, VC-1) from the actual disk, I get very heavy stutter. If I rip the movie to HDD via AnyDVD and play the files with "open movie from hard disk" it stutters much less, but is still not watchable. If I remux the EVOs into an MKV (video stream stays exactly the same, audio is transcoded into FLAC) and play with ZoomPlayer it finally plays fine. The interesting bit is that CPU is never pegged at 100% in PowerDVD -- it hovers around 90% most of the time regardless of whether I'm playing from the HDDVD or the HDD. I also tried one Blu-Ray disk (Paprika, 1080p, MPEG2). The outcome is largely the same -- playback from Blu-Ray disk is horrible, from HDD rip it's better but still bad, and ZoomPlayer is fine (mine can open .m2ts files as-is, no remuxing at all here). The only notable difference is that PowerDVD does not load CPU even to 50% while decoding MPEG2...

There must be something really simple and/or stupid that I am doing wrong here... Would appreciate any ideas.

jamieuk
27th January 2008, 22:26
same problem here using PowerDVD with a Quad core.

g4sho
3rd February 2008, 13:19
I use Nero Showtime to play both my Blu Ray and HD DVD iso's with no problem. I also had purchased PowerDVD Ultra 7.3, and found that Nero is by far better as for as compatibility with these files. My system specs ,Opeteron 64 2.2 ghz, with 2 gig ram, and I have a ATI radeon hd2600 xt, video card. Raptor hard drive. The version of nero I am using is Nero 8 with the hddvd/bluray upgrade pack. Hope this helps. Also operating system is WinXp professional sp2.

mdoubledragon
4th February 2008, 18:02
Is this problem with HD-DVD/Blu-Ray ISOs exclusively? I mean try playing some encoded HD content in AVI/MKV/MP4 using preferably some H.264 codec and see if video playback is fine.

Also check CPU load in task manager and HDD LED for Hard Drive usage. Then we can locate the origin of your problem.

Devilman1
6th February 2008, 00:52
I think is a problem of PowerDVD. my HTPC has an ATI X2600HD to watch blue ray, when I mount the ISO with daemon tools, the playback is fine untill I change audio or choose a chapter; watching the information tab I notice that Hardware acceleration is disable even if at the beginning it was enable.
Probably when you change some option PowerDVd disable Hardware acceleration and CPU usage increase and sometimes it hangs the PC.