PDA

View Full Version : mkv2vob: New App to Remux MKV x264/AC3 which play on PS3

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

wabbster
19th January 2008, 01:52
Sorry, I used nero vision not recode.
1. make a avchd and then import the mkv file into it.
2. it takes a few secs for the file to load in.
3. Use the export option and choose cinema 720p or hdtv for 1080p..
4. Under the audio section, change the audio to 5.1 640 bit
5. You can choose your processer streams ( I use all 4 and it boogies
6. press start and voila after a few hours you have a mp4 file with 5.1 audio. The nice thing about it, the FF and RW works flawless. It even resumes when you leave to the xmb and back. I hope this helps.

@wabbster
How did you get Recode3 to accept the mkv? When I try that I always crashes or tells me to make sure that my file is not DRM protected and plays on my computer. Well, I can say for sure that it's not DRM and it sure does play, at least in VLC...

wabbster
19th January 2008, 01:55
it's just the muxed one to vob. 720p works fantastic. It's very strange. I even removed all my other encoding tools to see if there was a codec issue but that didn't help.

do 1080p mkv studder when transcoded to mpeg-2? as supposedly most need to be transcoded.or is it just the ones that can be muxed to vob.

pjclay27
19th January 2008, 03:20
Well, I was all excited about getting an external HDD after using mkv2vob but then I read about the 4GB limit with the external drive being FAT32. How are people getting mkv's to work on external HDD's with this limitation? I don't want to split mkv's.

jamos
19th January 2008, 05:05
Well, I was all excited about getting an external HDD after using mkv2vob but then I read about the 4GB limit with the external drive being FAT32. How are people getting mkv's to work on external HDD's with this limitation? I don't want to split mkv's.

bit off topic but you would have to split if you use a external hdd and your file is over 4 gig. until sony gets thier Sh^% together and can read NTFS drives thats just the way it is for now.

jamos
19th January 2008, 07:54
Sorry, I used nero vision not recode.
1. make a avchd and then import the mkv file into it.
2. it takes a few secs for the file to load in.
3. Use the export option and choose cinema 720p or hdtv for 1080p..
4. Under the audio section, change the audio to 5.1 640 bit
5. You can choose your processer streams ( I use all 4 and it boogies
6. press start and voila after a few hours you have a mp4 file with 5.1 audio. The nice thing about it, the FF and RW works flawless. It even resumes when you leave to the xmb and back. I hope this helps.

this is way off topic for this thread but here is a few facts about doing what you are saying.

1. it does work as you say but the video IS reencoded and looks worse than the original and normally it changes the aspect (it does not just remux).
2. the audio although it says 5.1 will only play 2.0 through pcm from a ps3 unless you are not using hdmi for audio and are using a optical digital audio out for audio (which i do not recommend as you lose 7.1 support). Also I beleive for mkv the audio will actually be only 2.0 stereo in to aac 5.1 out i.e. all channel stereo. so even if you get 5.1 out from the ps3 you then lose all surround encoding.

Mkv2vob remuxes and video and audio are kept the same. The ff/rw does not work on the ps3 but you can alway recode it to mpeg2 and the video does get encoded but the audio stays the same and then ff/rw work. that being said the mpeg2 video is almost exact quality as the original.

Quatre
19th January 2008, 11:23
this is way off topic for this thread but here is a few facts about doing what you are saying.

1. it does work as you say but the video IS reencoded and looks worse than the original and normally it changes the aspect (it does not just remux).
2. the audio although it says 5.1 will only play 2.0 through pcm from a ps3 unless you are not using hdmi for audio and are using a optical digital audio out for audio (which i do not recommend as you lose 7.1 support).

Mkv2vob remuxes and video and audio are kept the same. The ff/rw does not work on the ps3 but you can alway recode it to mpeg2 and the video does get encoded but the audio stays the same and then ff/rw work. that being said the mpeg2 video is almost exact quality as the original.

yeah his mp4 method with 5.1 would be good for xbox360 as mp4 work on that and it doesn't have 7.1 support so optical audio is usually fine for 360. But the degraded quality kind of sucks.

for mkv on ps3 mkv2vob is sitll one of the best ways to go. just a matter of choosing quicker remux and similiar file size .vob with no ff/rw or longer conversion and larger file size for mpeg-2 that has ff/rw.

my only problem was i recently did a smaller sd mkv and forced the transcode to mpeg-2 and mkv2vob made one that doesn't play in ps3 so i had to stick with the .vob

suzook
19th January 2008, 14:03
this might sound like a stupid question, but i followed the original directions
1. Extract to a directory (dont just run it from within winrar) and run mkv2vob.exe
2. Select the MKV file
3. Select where to save the VOB.
the question i have is do i leave it at auto, or transcode or not? i have ripped mkv files. all i want to do is make them ac3 to play on the ps3. thanks

jamos
19th January 2008, 15:36
this might sound like a stupid question, but i followed the original directions
1. Extract to a directory (dont just run it from within winrar) and run mkv2vob.exe
2. Select the MKV file
3. Select where to save the VOB.
the question i have is do i leave it at auto, or transcode or not? i have ripped mkv files. all i want to do is make them ac3 to play on the ps3. thanks

if your not sure then choose auto it will always come out in ac3.

A little recap on what the options do, 3r correct me if I am wrong here:

Auto - MKV2VOB will read header info from mkv to determine if it needs to transcode or not. if it is a 1080p mkv Auto will transcode the video to a mpeg2. if it is a 720p video mkv then it will just remux video (no transcode). It will transcode the audio to ac3 if source is DTS, else it will copy ac3.

Always Transcode - it will always transcode the video to mpeg2 (so you get ff/rw). It will transcode the audio to ac3 if source is DTS, else it will copy ac3..

Never Transcode - MKV2 will remux video (no transcode). It will transcode the audio to ac3 if source is DTS, else it will copy ac3.

wabbster
19th January 2008, 20:31
I know it's off topic so this will be the last message about nero.

1. I always use mkv2vob for 720 files.
2. I have 6 1080p vob's , 2 of them works flawless to mpg2 with mkv2vob. The other 4 had the studder problem with the first 1-5 secs of the video which throws audio off.
3. I use recode or vision for m2ts files or vc1 files only. They convert to mp4 with aac audio 5.1. my 7.1 reciever with the ps3 thru optical sounds great. You do get full surround with ff/rw to boot.

I only tried vision becuase those 4 1080p files where always off sync with mkvvob. I am willing to post the mkv and the vob on rapidshare. It's a 1 minute clip so it doesn't take too long to d/l. If anyone wants to try mkv2vob on it and see if they get the same thing I am getting.

2. the audio although it says 5.1 will only play 2.0 through pcm from a ps3 unless you are not using hdmi for audio and are using a optical digital audio out for audio (which i do not recommend as you lose 7.1 support). Also I beleive for mkv the audio will actually be only 2.0 stereo in to aac 5.1 out i.e. all channel stereo. so even if you get 5.1 out from the ps3 you then lose all surround encoding.

3r1c
20th January 2008, 01:51
When you play mp4 with 5.1 audio on ps3 or xbox360 the sound is downmixed to stereo 2.0 PCM by the console.

Your sound system is only getting 2.0 audio not 5.1.
The only way to get proper 5.1 is to use dolby AC3 with vob.

undertoe
20th January 2008, 11:01
How do it get this program to keep the correct AR? After it was all done it went from 2.35:1 to 16.9. I dont know how to correct this manually via the ps3.

Thanks

lorik
20th January 2008, 12:59
i really need desperate help with mkv2vob and with the latest version 1.4.1 and still the sound is out of sync after transcoding ,what to do ????????????

pjclay27
20th January 2008, 14:18
I have a question about mkv2vob. I have a sample mkv that I choose automatic on and it muxes to vob. When I load the full mkv and choose automatic it muxes to vob. I play on PC and there is audio but no video. When I stream to PS3 there is audio and video. I have other muxed vob's and they play fine on PC. I tried transcoding but it goes from 4Gb to almost 12Gb. I would like to use the vob instead of mpeg-2. Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?

jamos
20th January 2008, 17:22
I have a question about mkv2vob. I have a sample mkv that I choose automatic on and it muxes to vob. When I load the full mkv and choose automatic it muxes to vob. I play on PC and there is audio but no video. When I stream to PS3 there is audio and video. I have other muxed vob's and they play fine on PC. I tried transcoding but it goes from 4Gb to almost 12Gb. I would like to use the vob instead of mpeg-2. Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?

nothing. muxed 5.1 level sources to 4.1 will not play on your pc. if you want to watch it on your pc then just watch the mkv. the others probably were already 4.1 to begin with. remuxing using 4.1 lvl is just to get the video to play on the ps3 not the pc.

Quatre
20th January 2008, 20:24
bit off topic but you would have to split if you use a external hdd and your file is over 4 gig. until sony gets thier Sh^% together and can read NTFS drives thats just the way it is for now.

xbox360 can't read ntfs, but it can read hfs+ which is easy to format the ext. hdd to using macdrive and then your pc can read the hfs+ drive using mac drive also. This was a great 4gb workaround for 360 but shame ps3 doesnt read hfs+

suzook
20th January 2008, 23:07
720p reencoded files work great. 1080p have audio sync problems. will this be corrected in a future release?

jamos
20th January 2008, 23:11
720p reencoded files work great. 1080p have audio sync problems. will this be corrected in a future release?

Your mkv file is most likely padding the header file to keep the audio in sync. I use the -copyts option in ffmpeg to fix this issue when reencoding to mpeg2, I am not sure if 3r1c is doing this in the program.

ekeir
20th January 2008, 23:30
First of all, forgive me if my question has already been covered. This is a long thread and I haven't read it all.

I am having problems decoding one .mkv file. The file is nearly 6gb. Mkv2vob seems to work OK until it starts up ffmpeg. Then I get a scrolling page with 'Error while decoding stream #1 [h264 @ 009AEFCO]no frame!
Then the time= , starts counting up until it reaches time=5589.2 and the program seems to stall at that point.
Does anybody have an answer to this please?

lorik
21st January 2008, 00:07
Your mkv file is most likely padding the header file to keep the audio in sync. I use the -copyts option in ffmpeg to fix this issue when reencoding to mpeg2, I am not sure if 3r1c is doing this in the program.

ok i really need help doing this i mean when i open ffmpeg that comes with mkv2vob ,it just blinks a ms-dos and finishes it ,i mean how do i open it ? i really need help with this tool coz the audio is always out of sync and the file is 720p

wabbster
21st January 2008, 00:49
Thanks for the info. I will try this.

suzook
21st January 2008, 02:23

how do i do this? i am using vista. do i need to edit something in the tools folder?

p4t0z3u
21st January 2008, 08:30
I just wanted to express my gratitude to 3r1c for creating a neat all-in-one package for me to enjoy my movies on my PS3.

It's just too bad the PS3 won't handle the MKV format, but this is just a minor thing ;)

Thanks 3r1c !

jamos
21st January 2008, 17:22
I just wanted to express my gratitude to 3r1c for creating a neat all-in-one package for me to enjoy my movies on my PS3.

It's just too bad the PS3 won't handle the MKV format, but this is just a minor thing ;)

Thanks 3r1c !

rumors have it that it will soon. we shall see.

jamos
21st January 2008, 17:25
how do i do this? i am using vista. do i need to edit something in the tools folder?

no you would have to do the steps that mkv2vob does manually. ie use mkvextract to extract the elemenatry streams, if audio is not ac3 then convert from dts to ac3 using tranzcode/besweet. then transcode the source to mpeg2 using ffmpeg.

you could try my command line and see if it works for you but you need a ac3 sound source mkv i do not cover how to convert from dts to ac3 that is covered elseware here.
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=133563

DiRTDOG
22nd January 2008, 01:32
I registered to thank you for this great utility. I have no clue on all the technical details to do conversions and this app works great. I have had some issues with audio out of sync so hopefully that will be fixed in later releases. I convert all 1080p files some work some don't, don't know why :D. If this app worked flawlessly I would surely pay for it.

Thanks for your hard work!!!

Quatre
22nd January 2008, 14:52
rumors have it that it will soon. we shall see.

I and many others highly doubt that it or any console will for various reasons, but it would be pretty smart of sony as it would definately sell a lot of ps3's.

here's to wishful thinking and in the meantime 3r with other ppls help and suggestions has given us a solution.

WicKeDcHilD
22nd January 2008, 16:00
Thanx for the program 3r1c, i can finally watch my mkv's on my ps3!!

jamos
22nd January 2008, 19:20
I and many others highly doubt that it or any console will for various reasons, but it would be pretty smart of sony as it would definately sell a lot of ps3's.

here's to wishful thinking and in the meantime 3r with other ppls help and suggestions has given us a solution.

I was more referring toward a third party os supporting it, rumor is there is some in dev. that are easy to use and will play many formats. Technically you can get xp to work on the ps3 but I am not sure if drivers are out that recognize all the ps3 hardware. Would be sweet though to just use a mkv player and watch videos that way using xp.

Gameruk
23rd January 2008, 01:44
ye that would be good but will you still get 5.1 sound?
If streaming to ps3?

morpheus0815
23rd January 2008, 01:59
when using linux on the ps3 you can already play mkv!
The problem is that when using a 3rd party OS you don't have access to the "full" spec of the ps3..... google hypervisor....

Therefore the playback is not really up to speed. Thankfully the 5.1 from XMB was added, so mkv2vob does all I want (if I had unlimited hard disk space that is) ;-)

Sony supported mkv from the PS3 OS would be one USP hard to beat by MS!
Otherwhile I still have my hopes up on the dev crews to find a crack in the hypervisor which would then also mean Isoloaders could work ;-)

wabbster
23rd January 2008, 02:10
I cannot stress how much we love this utility. Big Thanks to 3r1c!! My 2 boys and daughter really enjoy the hi-def on the plasma hdtv.

Ok back to the 1080P issue. Alot of you know I have had problems with a few 1080p files with audio/video sync. I decided to try Gotsent. It converts mkv's to mp4 or vob. There is a option to split the mkv to under 4gigs. It creates 2 or 3 mkv's before converting in a sub folder. The conversion did not work but the 3 split files where not deleted. I decided to try mkv2vob on the split 1080 files. VOILA!! All 3 vob's have no audio/sync issues anymore plus ff/rw works flawless. I tried the other few and they worked the same.This time I killed the gotsent util after it split the file. Split time took only 2-3 minutes. I can't believe it worked.

3r1c or anyone know a good vob joiner? Would like to have all 3 vob's in 1 file.

thanks.

I registered to thank you for this great utility. I have no clue on all the technical details to do conversions and this app works great. I have had some issues with audio out of sync so hopefully that will be fixed in later releases. I convert all 1080p files some work some don't, don't know why :D. If this app worked flawlessly I would surely pay for it.

Thanks for your hard work!!!

undertoe
23rd January 2008, 09:46
How do it get this program to keep the correct AR? After it was all done it went from 2.35:1 to 16.9. I dont know how to correct this manually via the ps3.

Thanks

simontink
23rd January 2008, 11:02
Vobsplitter V2.6 is very good for splitting as well as joining Vobs.

mmace
23rd January 2008, 11:06
Been using the software for a couple of weeks, just read through the first 15 pages of here.

Just wanted to say thank you to 3r1c (eric?) for all your hard work and for putting up with some of the demands people asked of you (yes, demands, some posts didn't even ask - they demanded features, the cheek of some people)

anyway, thank you for the software and all your hard work

maxpontello
23rd January 2008, 15:27
First of all, i would like to thank 3r1c for his great work. Secondly i would ask how i could manage subtitles. I mean, due to ps3 not officially supporting SRT subs, it is necessary to hard code them into the video frame. Is there a way to do this using Mkv2Vob (ffmpeg) or should i do with another encoder (mencoder?)? Which parameters should i use? Thanks to all for the help. Bye ;)

Quatre
23rd January 2008, 18:30
Format : Matroska
File size : 1.42 GiB
PlayTime : 2h 1mn
Bit rate : 1672 Kbps
Encoded date : UTC 2008-01-11 23:53:53
Writing application : mkvmerge v2.1.0 ('Another Place To Fall') built on Aug 19 2007 13:40:07
Writing library : libebml v0.7.7 + libmatroska v0.8.1

Video #0
Codec : MPEG-4 AVC
Codec/Info : MPEG4 ISO advanced profile
PlayTime : 2h 1mn
Width : 720 pixels
Height : 400 pixels
Aspect ratio : 16/9
Frame rate : 23.976 fps

Audio #0
Codec : AC3
Codec/Info : Dolby AC3
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Sampling rate : 48 KHz

3r or anyone know why a file with the above specs came out as a file that would not play on ps3 after using mkv2vob to force the transcode to mpeg-2?

the .vob works ... but of course no ff/rw. what is it about this file that allowed mkv2vob to make an mpeg-2 but was ultimately a file that did not work on the ps3.

wabbster
23rd January 2008, 21:32
The program did not work for me for converting. I just used the split files it created and used mkv2vob to create the vob's.

Thanks

lorik
24th January 2008, 00:12
ok this program is a pain in the ass ,its missing so many features (didnt mean to come here and act fool) its just my opinion and its constantly converting a video with sound out of sync ,all the time .Its just too bugy and yes im using the latest version ,and ps3 video 9 sucks big time ,did a conversion and the resulted file lost a whole bunch of quality even though i selected highest quality possible ,so does gotsent ,i mean what IS WRONG ??????????

undertoe
24th January 2008, 01:19
The file plays back fine , its just that h264info can not set the correct aspect ratio to 2.35:1. How do other people get around this problem? Many movies are 2.35:1 native. Im totally lost on this problem :(

mmace
24th January 2008, 10:09
ok this program is a pain in the ass ,its missing so many features (didnt mean to come here and act fool) its just my opinion and its constantly converting a video with sound out of sync ,all the time .Its just too bugy and yes im using the latest version ,and ps3 video 9 sucks big time ,did a conversion and the resulted file lost a whole bunch of quality even though i selected highest quality possible ,so does gotsent ,i mean what IS WRONG ??????????let us see the programme you've written then to see how good it is in comparison

morpheus0815
24th January 2008, 15:40
ok this program is a pain in the ass ,its missing so many features (didnt mean to come here and act fool) its just my opinion and its constantly converting a video with sound out of sync ,all the time .Its just too bugy and yes im using the latest version ,and ps3 video 9 sucks big time ,did a conversion and the resulted file lost a whole bunch of quality even though i selected highest quality possible ,so does gotsent ,i mean what IS WRONG ??????????

WTF? You get a great solution to view MKV Hi Def videos on your PS3 for FREE and still bitch around because you don't know zip about video conversion or using command line programs?
Out of MANY MANY mkvs I had ONE where the audio was out of sync and I was able to get around that problem thanks to Jamos great posts in here and in a different thread.

:search:
and stop trolling .... you might actually get answers if you don't behave like a total idiot!

morpheus0815
24th January 2008, 15:42
WTF? You get a great solution to view MKV Hi Def videos on your PS3 for FREE ...

by the way, KUDOS to 3r1c for this tool. As I stated in the tsremux thread, this is currently and by far the best working solution to get (almost) everything I want! :thanks:

Sgt.BigNuts
24th January 2008, 17:12
Hi,
Has anyone found a cure for this annoying problem when tryingto convert a MKV 1080p file with DTS audio saying...."error creating AC3 from WAV", its so dam annoying , and seems to happen with every file of this type, Any help would be greatly appreciated, cheers.
Also a big thanks to 3r1c for a brilliant program.

jamos
24th January 2008, 23:06

What is wrong is you have bad mkv files to start with and mkv is using some header padding to correct the sync issues :p. They can be fixed, but you need a working knowledge of what your doing there is no one magic program that is going to fix all the issues that can exist with mkv files out there (especially the torrent ones).

jamos
25th January 2008, 01:13
Hi,
Has anyone found a cure for this annoying problem when tryingto convert a MKV 1080p file with DTS audio saying...."error creating AC3 from WAV", its so dam annoying , and seems to happen with every file of this type, Any help would be greatly appreciated, cheers.
Also a big thanks to 3r1c for a brilliant program.

I had this issue when i overlayed a older version of mkv2vob with the 1.4.1 version files. To fix my issue I just deleted the older mkv2vob directory, and installed 1.4.1 to a fresh directory.

wabbster
25th January 2008, 02:32
I had several files with the header padding. mk2vob had video/sync issues with them. This is not the app problem but the mkv.
I stated earlier how I fixed the padding issue.

1.Open the mkv file with Gotsent. leave the option to split the mkv if bigger then 4gb. All sync issues that I have are with 1080p so they are always bigger then 4gig.
2. Open the ac3 filter option and chose direct copy from original.
3. Start the conversion.
4. You will notice the utility is splitting the files.
5. After it's done (1 minite or so) it will start to mux the video.
5. KILL THE APP!!
6. You will notice in the output folder a subfolder with the mkv file name.
7. In this folder are the 2-3 split mkv's.
8. Use mkv2vob on all the 3 files.
9. No more audio/video sync issues with 3 vobs.
10. Use vobjoiner 2.6 to join vobs.
11. Now you have a 1080p file with no audio/video sync issues.

Good Luck. So far 100% with all mkv's that have sync issues with the above method.

What is wrong is you have bad mkv files to start with and mkv is using some header padding to correct the sync issues :p. They can be fixed, but you need a working knowledge of what your doing there is no one magic program that is going to fix all the issues that can exist with mkv files out there (especially the torrent ones).

DiRTDOG
25th January 2008, 03:32
Thanks for that post wabbster, I have had a couple files not work and they are 1080p so it doesnt surprise me I will try your method and hope it works for me.

question for 3r1c will there be support for dual or quad core processors in the future, so remuxing is faster? Thanks again for the great app.

jamos
25th January 2008, 04:16
Thanks for that post wabbster, I have had a couple files not work and they are 1080p so it doesnt surprise me I will try your method and hope it works for me.

question for 3r1c will there be support for dual or quad core processors in the future, so remuxing is faster? Thanks again for the great app.

3r1c uses ffmpeg to mux. He made a gui frontend (ie mkv2vob) to make it easy to use for everyone so fixing that is not up to him. Also if your converting 1080p most likely you are transcoding to mpeg2 not just muxing.

I think there is a threads option where you can specify more than 1 thread in FFMPEG but I beleive it only makes a difference in linux versions.

Atak_Snajpera
25th January 2008, 14:01
Read this my friends :)
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1091845#post1091845

Sgt.BigNuts
25th January 2008, 14:51
Thanks for the reply Jamos, i'll give that a try, cheers.:thanks:

ExSport
25th January 2008, 17:10
New version of H264info with new features!!!!!
Link (http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1091752#post1091752)
v0018 (supports setting num_ref_frames and maxbitrate)

Maybe sometimes we will be able to play all MKV files(720p or 1080p) on PS3 without re-compression???

DiRTDOG
26th January 2008, 00:54
wabbster, I am trying to do your process with gotsent and I am trying to find the option in AC3filter for "direct copy from original" and I cant find it. Can you be more specific on where this option is? Does this process also fix the mkv's that convert with no audio, I get some like that from time to time. I am very new to this stuff, so please be patient. Also I did a search in google for vobjoiner 2.6 with no accurate results can you please provide a link?

Thank you.

jamos
26th January 2008, 07:42
Read this my friends :)
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1091845#post1091845

cool atak Ill check that out. As far as TS files, ive never had issues playing those on ps3 if they were converted directly from bd ripped m2ts files converted to ts using tsremux 019 (even converts dolby true hd to ac3 for you). but it would be nice to remux mkv files to be able to play with ff/rw and no mpeg2 conversions.

jamos
26th January 2008, 07:46
New version of H264info with new features!!!!!
Link (http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1091752#post1091752)
v0018 (supports setting num_ref_frames and maxbitrate)

Maybe sometimes we will be able to play all MKV files(720p or 1080p) on PS3 without re-compression???

not sure how that is going to fix the ff/rw issue but I will look at it thanks.

3r1c command line is now supported that would be nice for you to use..no more pop up windows.

puppydg68
26th January 2008, 08:38
3R1c would it be possible to integrate the new TSmuxer software, and give us the option to output as .TS for ps3 play.

I have only used this software a little, but successfully converted an mkv for perfect playback on ps3 with this tool.

I love your one step process. I also noticed that the .TS files that are output from TSMuxer - play fine on PS3 with full audio, it does not require remuxing to .M2ts afterwards.

I wonder if there is hope for 1080?

ultratoto14
26th January 2008, 09:39
I used TSMuxer and i was able to ff/rw using tversity and i can play the TS on the PC.

The functionnality of changing level does not work as i think it just patch the few bytes at the begin of the file. Need a h264_info pass.

jamos
26th January 2008, 09:49
I used TSMuxer and i was able to ff/rw using tversity and i can play the TS on the PC.

The functionnality of changing level does not work as i think it just patch the few bytes at the begin of the file. Need a h264_info pass.

yes I got data is corrupted when just using TSmuxer to convert it down to 4.1 so apparently that feature does not work. I will try using h264_info to set the lvl first.

ExSport
26th January 2008, 10:58
not sure how that is going to fix the ff/rw issue but I will look at it thanks.

3r1c command line is now supported that would be nice for you to use..no more pop up windows.

New version of H264info can change num_of_ref_frames which is one of many unsupported features on PS3 when you try to play MKV files, mainly 1080p files...PS3 can play max 4 reference frames in video stream.
So it will not fix ff/rw....it is problem of VOB container on PS3...but we now have m2ts muxer instead of using VOB container!

ExSport
26th January 2008, 11:02
I love your one step process. I also noticed that the .TS files that are output from TSMuxer - play fine on PS3 with full audio, it does not require remuxing to .M2ts afterwards.

I wonder if there is hope for 1080?

Why all steps on the net describes muxing with TSmuxer and then remux it with TSRemux when they say at the end that last step is not needed and video is playable on PS3 after using only TSMuxer????
Why then using TSRemux??

Thanks

wabbster
26th January 2008, 15:41
Sorry, the option on Gotsent is . AS IS (no change) under the ac3filter options. The vob joiner is called movie joiner http://www.movietoolbox.com/
I have never had a "no sound issue" So I cannot answer that question. I hope this helps.

wabbster, I am trying to do your process with gotsent and I am trying to find the option in AC3filter for "direct copy from original" and I cant find it. Can you be more specific on where this option is? Does this process also fix the mkv's that convert with no audio, I get some like that from time to time. I am very new to this stuff, so please be patient. Also I did a search in google for vobjoiner 2.6 with no accurate results can you please provide a link?

Thank you.

jamos
26th January 2008, 17:40

only seems to work on 720p sources for me.

jamos
26th January 2008, 17:43
Why all steps on the net describes muxing with TSmuxer and then remux it with TSRemux when they say at the end that last step is not needed and video is playable on PS3 after using only TSMuxer????
Why then using TSRemux??

Thanks

I am not sure maybe you need m2ts it for 1080p sources? on that note I think the author of TSMuxer is going to have M2TS output very soon.

jamos
27th January 2008, 03:38
3r1c you really may want to check out using tsmuxer to mux to ts on 720p sources, maybe change the name of the program to mkv2ts hehe. It does work with ac3 and ff/rw works also on ps3. It does have command line support also. You still need to use h264_info to set the lvl to 4.1 for the elementary stream, but then you could replace using ffmpeg with tsmuxer as tsmuxer turns the input video stream and audio into a muxed ts file that works great on the ps3. It even streams better using tversity due to the lower bandwith requirements. Of course you would still have to use ffmpeg to transcode 1080p sources to mpeg2.

jamos
27th January 2008, 06:41
New version of H264info can change num_of_ref_frames which is one of many unsupported features on PS3 when you try to play MKV files, mainly 1080p files...PS3 can play max 4 reference frames in video stream.
So it will not fix ff/rw....it is problem of VOB container on PS3...but we now have m2ts muxer instead of using VOB container!

I can play 1080p with just setting the ref frame to 4 with the new h264info now, but of course with only 4 frames instead of 8 that the stream uses you get the blockies on playback. when i set it above 4 the ps3 of course gets no video with sound. setting avc lvl to 4.1 does nothing for 1080p, that trick only works on 720p mkv sources. The wierd thing is that I can take a straight m2ts file from a rip of a bd use tsremux on it to convert it to .ts and it plays fine on the ps3 with ff/rw. So there is something that mkv files do to the elementary stream that the ps3 just does not like and I am doubting we can get a straight remux 1080p to work without creating a psuedo bluray dvd using m2ts files. If the ps3 would just support either more than 4 ref frames or m2ts file playback we would be good.

Quatre
27th January 2008, 16:11
Here is an mpeg-2 that mkv2vob made from an mkv when i forced the transcode. it seems to show the correct resolution of the original mkv but on the ps3 the info shows a different res (1280x568 or something like that) and does not play on the ps3.

I think mkv2vob just has trouble with SD or HR resolution mkv's

Format : MPEG-2 Program
Format/Family : MPEG-2
File size : 1.34 GiB
PlayTime : 58mn 20s
Bit rate : 3289 Kbps

Video #0
Codec : MPEG-2 Video
Codec profile : Main@Main
Codec settings/Matrix : Standard
Bit rate : 2844 Kbps
Bit rate mode : VBR
Height : 528 pixels
Aspect ratio : 1.000
Chroma : 4:2:0
Interlacement : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.312

Audio #0
Bit rate : 384 Kbps
Bit rate mode : CBR
Channel(s) : 6 channels

i could show the specs of the original mkv, but i've done that with other mkv's which have the same problem in producing an mpeg-2 that doenst play on the ps3, so i figured i'd show the mpeg-2 specs instead to see if anyone knows why this mpeg-2 file doesn't play on the ps3.

nick101181
27th January 2008, 17:11
Thanks to the new version of this program I was able to take a 1080p 7.8 gig mkv with dts and transcode it to a 15 gig vob with 5.1 . It streams smoothly in tveristy and I can even rewind and ff it :)

zAndy1
27th January 2008, 19:06
Thanks to the new version of this program I was able to take a 1080p 7.8 gig mkv with dts and transcode it to a 15 gig vob with 5.1 . It streams smoothly in tveristy and I can even rewind and ff it :)

But does the audio stay in sync, the audio never stays in sync when I transcode a 1080p input file

jamos
27th January 2008, 19:07
Here is an mpeg-2 that mkv2vob made from an mkv when i forced the transcode. it seems to show the correct resolution of the original mkv but on the ps3 the info shows a different res (1280x568 or something like that) and does not play on the ps3.

I think mkv2vob just has trouble with SD or HR resolution mkv's

Format : MPEG-2 Program
Format/Family : MPEG-2
File size : 1.34 GiB
Bit rate : 3289 Kbps

Video #0
Codec : MPEG-2 Video
Codec profile : Main@Main
Codec settings/Matrix : Standard
Bit rate : 2844 Kbps
Bit rate mode : VBR
Height : 528 pixels
Aspect ratio : 1.000
Chroma : 4:2:0
Interlacement : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.312

Audio #0
Bit rate : 384 Kbps
Bit rate mode : CBR

i could show the specs of the original mkv, but i've done that with other mkv's which have the same problem in producing an mpeg-2 that doenst play on the ps3, so i figured i'd show the mpeg-2 specs instead to see if anyone knows why this mpeg-2 file doesn't play on the ps3.

did you try doing the steps manually and using -sameq command in ffmpeg to see if it copies the resolution of the original? mkv2vob definately is designed for hd sources either 720p or 1080p and although it can handle dts to ac3 conversion it seems currently to have issues with sync on some of those titles using -copyts fixes this but I do not believe the program supports that.

the stats from the ps3 are correct it upconverts the source to hd either 1080p or 1080i.

3r1c
27th January 2008, 20:40
mkv2vob already uses -copyts and -sameq

I have tested the new h264info with num_ref_frames.
I was unable to get any unplayable files to play with it.

h264info is just lying about the frames in the header, its not actually change the specifics of the stream.

zAndy1
27th January 2008, 20:50
3r1c, thanks for mkv2vob! Question though, are you aware of that there are audio sync issues with files that are transcoded (especially 1080p). Is there a fix in the pipeline? When can we expect the next release and what will the changes be?

Thanks
Andy

3r1c
27th January 2008, 20:58
As of yet nobody has sent me a sample file with DTS not working, and it works for all the ones ive tried.

btw. version coming with ff/rw in a few hours.

mmace
27th January 2008, 21:12
btw. version coming with ff/rw in a few hours.really?
this is great news!

again, thanks for the hard work you're putting in mate!

zAndy1
27th January 2008, 21:12
So there'll be a new release tonight? Cool if so, looking forward to it. But doesn't it already do ff/rw compatible files :confused: Are you saying there shouldn't be any audio sync issues even when transcoding to mpeg2?

3r1c
27th January 2008, 21:20
There shouldnt be any sync issues, some people have reported it, but i have not seen it myself.

The ff/rw on the new version will be for h264/ac3 without recompression.

Irishkid
27th January 2008, 21:46
Does anyone else have the problem with 1080p files and jumpiness when streaming wih nero and tversity. 720p files work no problem. I noticed that when the jumpiess occurs the bit rat is jumping from 8mbs to 35bps and higher? Also where can I download the new version?

Thanks

jamos
27th January 2008, 21:52
Does anyone else have the problem with 1080p files and jumpiness when streaming wih nero and tversity. 720p files work no problem. I noticed that when the jumpiess occurs the bit rat is jumping from 8mbs to 35bps and higher? Also where can I download the new version?

Thanks

The problem is the mpeg2 file has much greater bandwith in 1080p and your network cannot keep up. The only way to fix it is either hardwire the ps3 to your network using gigabyte connection or copy the file to your ps3 and play it from there.

3r1c
27th January 2008, 21:52

Thanks

Your network or hard drive is not fast enough to stream the high bitrate in real time, copy to the ps3 hard drive first.

jamos
27th January 2008, 21:54
There shouldnt be any sync issues, some people have reported it, but i have not seen it myself.

The ff/rw on the new version will be for h264/ac3 without recompression.

good to see the new version coming using the new muxer. I could never get unplayable 1080 sources to play either..though changing the ref frames to 4 it would play on the ps3 but had corrupt video.

Irishkid
27th January 2008, 22:17
probably a stupid question, but how do I copy the file from my laptop to the PS3 internal hard drive?

Atak_Snajpera
27th January 2008, 22:54
by USB , by DVD+RW ? :)

Quatre
27th January 2008, 23:42
probably a stupid question, but how do I copy the file from my laptop to the PS3 internal hard drive?

on top of the other ways mentioned above is to use a media stream program like TVersity, wmp, nero media home etc. etc. and then when you see it on you ps3 via that prog from the file on your laptop or pc you copy it ot the ps3 internal which is upgradeable to larger size.

All of which has been explained many times throughout the thread.

I know its tiring to read through the thread but its almost more tiring for ppl to repeat the same things.

nick101181
27th January 2008, 23:47
Yes my file had the audio synced even after scanning thru it. I was using tveristy though, Couldn't say for sure on running it from the ps3.

New version with ff/rw = Awesome !!!! :)

Quatre
27th January 2008, 23:47
ok so mkv2vob can't transcode SD or HR res mkv's to mpeg-2. what about this one where i got

"Error creating AC3 from wav"

speaking of repeating info i thin this error has come up before and i'll look through the thread but I dont think it was ever resolved. regardless here are the specs from the mkv that got this error when trying to convert it to to a mpeg-2. thinking of just trying Super on it to make a ps3 mp4 unless this new version of mkv2vob can really remux to a .vob that has ff/rw capability. That will be amazing as we wont have to force the transcode to mpeg-2 now just for ff/rw and will just let mkv2vob auto detect and do what it needs to do.

Format : Matroska
File size : 4.36 GiB
PlayTime : 1h 30mn
Bit rate : 6914 Kbps
Encoded date : UTC 2007-11-26 09:45:23
Writing application : mkvmerge v2.0.2 ('You're My Flame') built on Feb 21 2007 23:40:55
Writing library : libebml v0.7.7 + libmatroska v0.8.1
Cover : CronosPro-Bold.ttf / CronosPro-Semibold.ttf / CronosPro-SemiboldIt.ttf

Video #0
Codec : MPEG-4 AVC
Codec/Info : MPEG4 ISO advanced profile
PlayTime : 1h 30mn
Width : 1280 pixels
Height : 720 pixels
Aspect ratio : 16/9
Frame rate : 25.000 fps
Language : English

Audio #0
Codec : DTS
Language : English

I guess I'll wait for the new version so that I can make a .vob with ff/rw capability rather then use the current version to make one without or use Super to make a ps3 mp4 and probably lose the 6 channel sound in place of 2ch.

Will the new version work on the SD and HR mkv's though? or is it mostly just a fix to enable ff/rw on mkv's remuxed to .vob.

Quatre
27th January 2008, 23:48
Yes my file had the audio synced even after scanning thru it. I was using tveristy though, Couldn't say for sure on running it from the ps3.

New version with ff/rw = Awesome !!!! :)

it is? i dont think its available yet. you mean it sounds awesome. your post could confuse ppl that it was available.

jamos
27th January 2008, 23:49
ok so mkv2vob can't transcode SD or HR res mkv's to mpeg-2. what about this one where i got

"Error creating AC3 from wav"

speaking of repeating info i thin this error has come up before and i'll look through the thread but I dont think it was ever resolved. regardless here are the specs from the mkv that got this error when trying to convert it to to a mpeg-2. thinking of just trying Super on it to make a ps3 mp4 unless this new version of mkv2vob can really remux to a .vob that has ff/rw capability. That will be amazing as we wont have to force the transcode to mpeg-2 now just for ff/rw and will just let mkv2vob auto detect and do what it needs to do.

I got this error when i overwrote older files in the mkv2vob directory with a newer release. To fix it i deleted the old directory and unzipped the newest version in a new directory.

31rc you could add a entry field to add a delay to either the video or audio using ffmpeg so persons who have sync issues can manually correct them.
command line option is:
-itsoffset offset
Set the input time offset in seconds. [-]hh:mm:ss[.xxx] syntax is also supported. This option affects all the input files that follow it. The offset is added to the timestamps of the input files. Specifying a positive offset means that the corresponding streams are delayed by 'offset' seconds.

Also you could allow to force the size and resolution so it doesn't change if -sameq can not pick it up by putting in entry fields for it:
-s size
Set frame size. The format is `wxh' (ffserver default = 160x128, ffmpeg default = same as source if it can detect it).
-aspect aspect
Set aspect ratio (4:3, 16:9 or 1.3333, 1.7777).

I know that adds some more work but then alteast persons can not blame it on the program when thier mkv sources are crapped up and sameq and copyts does not work. I have never had sync or resolution issues using mkv2vob btw.

3r1c
28th January 2008, 01:14
V1.5 27/Jan/2008
Added Fast forward/rewind support

Quatre
28th January 2008, 02:39
V1.5 27/Jan/2008
Added Fast forward/rewind support

w00t! just a quick note that when you hold the mouse over the mkv2vob.exe it still says 1.4.0.1 but I'm assuming its still the new version.

I know a lot of ppl have given praise and thanks but too often you see ppl make programs and not keep up with it or make updates or improvements at all so this is to great credit to 3r and the more advanced users that have tried to help along the way with testing and suggestions etc.

btw, I didn't overwrite previous versions of mkv2vob last time and still got the error with ac3 when forcing the transcode to mpeg-2 but now hopefully with this version i can just do auto and will get a file with ff/rw capability either way.

This was pretty much the only or at the very least the biggest detractor to this solution. I think most were under the assumption that it was the ps3's fault for ff/rw not working with the .vob's remuxed from mkv, but it seems 3r has found a way around that making for a huge development in this great prog!

Quatre
28th January 2008, 02:45
V1.5.1 27/Jan/2008
Fixed muxing bug, 1.5 was completely non-functional sorry.

?

is it working now, does the dl link on first page now give you 1.5.1?

because like i said when i just tried it , it seemed to still be 1.4.0.1

jrw
28th January 2008, 02:50
I seem to be having bad luck with this program, Most (but not all) of the files I convert end up having bad audio sync issues.. The first 5-10 seconds have bad slow down and frame rate stutters but then it becomes smooth and the audio is way out of sync (does it on both my PC and PS3)

Also on other files a lot of the times I get "Error creating AC3 from WAV!" when attempting to convert

And lastly some files appear to convert properly (no errors) but only have Audio when playing back the file in VLC .. Any ideas appreciated!

PC: WinXP SP2 / AMD X2 4800+ dual core / 2gb ram

3r1c
28th January 2008, 02:56
The new version definately has 1.5.1 in the exe version, you must have old version.

Quatre
28th January 2008, 03:11
The new version definately has 1.5.1 in the exe version, you must have old version.

you mean when you hold mouse over the mkv2vob.exe it should say File version: 1.5.1 instead of 1.4.0.1?

ok then the dl link in the first post of the thread is not updated.

where is the new version 1.5.1?

Bigmango
28th January 2008, 03:13
you mean when you hold mouse over the mkv2vob.exe it should say File version: 1.5.1 instead of 1.4.0.1?

ok then the dl link in the first post of the thread is not updated.

Here is says 1.5.0.1 ; try to download it again. Maybe you got it too early.

jamos
28th January 2008, 03:18
seems to work great using tsmuxer 3r1c just as good as doing it manually like i have been for the last couple days.

and when I hover over it says 1.5.0.1

Quatre
28th January 2008, 04:20
damn what the hell, where are you guys dling it, everytime i get it from the first post on first page, its 1.4.0.1

edit:

had to use a different browser and finally it gave me 1.5.0.1

warning to others to check and make sure you have the newest version after dling it cus mine was obviously still getting the older version somehow.

3r1c
28th January 2008, 04:36
your probably on one of those sucky isps that force you behind their proxy

Quatre
28th January 2008, 04:48
still got the "Error creating AC3 from wav" with the new version 1.5.1, though I guess it wasn't supposed to fix that.

so it seems nothing can be done with this mkv using mkv2vob. shame too cus it has 6ch audio and Super will make a ps3 mp4 with probably 2ch.

jrw
28th January 2008, 05:59
still got the "Error creating AC3 from wav" with the new version 1.5.1, though I guess it wasn't supposed to fix that.

so it seems nothing can be done with this mkv using mkv2vob. shame too cus it has 6ch audio and Super will make a ps3 mp4 with probably 2ch.

Yea I just got a movie i really wanted to play on PS3 but got yet another Error creating AC3 from wav error just now .. any insight on why this happens... Anyone? :stupid:

Quatre
28th January 2008, 06:05
Yea I just got a movie i really wanted to play on PS3 but got yet another Error creating AC3 from wav error just now .. any insight on why this happens... Anyone? :stupid:

3r is looking into it.

3r1c
28th January 2008, 07:02
V1.5.2 28/Jan/2008
Fixed bug with long filenames with DTS give "Error creating AC3 from WAV!"
DTS now recompresses to higher 640bit quality instead of 384bit.

Quatre
28th January 2008, 07:12
wow, so it was just caused by long file names? stupid none of us tried to shorten it. either way 3r you are really on the ball.

and on top of it an improved audio quality for files with DTS.

awesome!

was so busy reporting the files with "error creating ac3 from wav"

that I didn't get to report that 1.5.1 was creating a perfect .vob from that lower res SD stuff using auto. I was forcing the transcode to mpeg-2 just for ff/rw and it was creating a non working file but now that I dont need to force transcode to mpeg-2 for ff/rw it works perfect using the recommended auto and just remuxing to a .vob but now with ff/rw.

Also wanted to report several other files just remuxed to .vob but now with working ff/rw!! woohoo!

great work here and much appreciated. overcoming the ff/rw limitation on the vob's is huge and there really is nothing anyone can complain about as this is now a very good solution to mkv on ps3!

3r1c
28th January 2008, 07:19
Yep it was long filenames, but actually the bug is with besweet, mkv2vob handled it correctly.
I just changed it to generate a short temp file name.

mmace
28th January 2008, 07:57
probably a no-brainer, but does it now pause and play again without synch problems?
I'm guessing from previous posts it had this problem?

Am at work now so I cannot try it

thanks

this is bad news really as the wife is 2.5 seasons behind on Desperate Housewives and I told her she couldn't watch them as they are in MKV format and if I converted them she'd have to watch them without stopping (impossible with an 11 month old!).
Guess I've got weeks of Desperate Housewives to sit through now!

cheers 3r1c, it's all much appreciated

3r1c
28th January 2008, 08:13
yes it resumes from pause

zAndy1
28th January 2008, 08:47
If this latest version works well you may just have saved me £300! I was going to place my order for a Tvix M-6500A media streamer today but if this works I'll use my PS3 for all media playback duties instead. Now to do some experimenting...

Should 1080p files with DTS convert ok? That could be the clincher for me, if it copes with those (and is in sync) I'll be over the moon!

Thanks a lot 3r1c, really appreciate everything you're doing with this

Quatre
28th January 2008, 09:47
i was interested in the popcorn hour or like you, the tvix 6500a also but our ps3's cost more then both of those combined so there is no reason it shouldn't play x264 and thanks to this program we now can for the most part (with a remux).

Sgt.BigNuts
28th January 2008, 11:46
Thanks a lot 3r1c, i was just about to delete all my MKV's with DTS 1080p's because i was fed up of getting that error msg. Thanks again for a wonderful program :thanks:

jamos
28th January 2008, 16:04
V1.5.2 28/Jan/2008
Fixed bug with long filenames with DTS give "Error creating AC3 from WAV!"
DTS now recompresses to higher 640bit quality instead of 384bit.

Have you noticed that the output on besweet for 640 bit shows the actual avg. bitrate as much lower compared to using 384 or 448. I do not know if it is just a besweet output bug or it actually is not encoding properly at 640.

I myself use aziddts with besweet using 448bit and a light boost which works nicer, but is slower and requires winddvd 5 or 6 (demo works fine you do not need registered) (ver 8 doesnt work) plus some other files.

jamos
28th January 2008, 16:14
wow, so it was just caused by long file names? stupid none of us tried to shorten it. either way 3r you are really on the ball.

and on top of it an improved audio quality for files with DTS.

awesome!

was so busy reporting the files with "error creating ac3 from wav"

that I didn't get to report that 1.5.1 was creating a perfect .vob from that lower res SD stuff using auto. I was forcing the transcode to mpeg-2 just for ff/rw and it was creating a non working file but now that I dont need to force transcode to mpeg-2 for ff/rw it works perfect using the recommended auto and just remuxing to a .vob but now with ff/rw.

Also wanted to report several other files just remuxed to .vob but now with working ff/rw!! woohoo!

great work here and much appreciated. overcoming the ff/rw limitation on the vob's is huge and there really is nothing anyone can complain about as this is now a very good solution to mkv on ps3!

now you really never need to force transcode. FFMPEG has issues with your files where remuxing them with tsmuxer does not. TSMUXER is a real find for ps3 users!

Basically the only time you need to reencode would be using AVC 5.1 1080p sources (4.1 1080p sources work fine with tsmuxer).

simontink
28th January 2008, 16:40
I also had problems with 1080p files using DTS being way out of sync.after using mkv2vob.( The original MKV was in sync ) I resolved by using gotsent to split the original MKV into < 4Gb parts and then run MKV2VOB on all the split files.I then use vobjoiner to rejoin the new Vobs back together.This has worked flawlessly on all my troublesome 1080 DTS MKV's. Must be an issue with large files ?
Thanks to 3r1c for the upgrade.:thanks:

jamos
28th January 2008, 16:48
I also had problems with 1080p files using DTS being way out of sync.after using mkv2vob.( The original MKV was in sync ) I resolved by using gotsent to split the original MKV into < 4Gb parts and then run MKV2VOB on all the split files.I then use vobjoiner to rejoin the new Vobs back together.This has worked flawlessly on all my troublesome 1080 DTS MKV's. Must be an issue with large files ?
Thanks to 3r1c for the upgrade.:thanks:

Ive converted several large 1080p DTS source mkv's and had no issues but I do the audio part manually to use aviddts so my import to mkv2vob would be a ac3 mkv file.

Audioboxer
28th January 2008, 20:29
Thanks for the updates 3r1c, you make PS3 owners everywhere happy :)

1.52 even made a 720p movie I previously had that didn't work, work. Dunno why, but before it would produce no video, only audio. Now video works :)

(It was 1.41 it didn't work with)

Also how does 1080p movie compatibility stand with the update to 1.52? Will the majority still need to be transcoded?

jamos
28th January 2008, 21:14
Thanks for the updates 3r1c, you make PS3 owners everywhere happy :)

1.52 even made a 720p movie I previously had that didn't work, work. Dunno why, but before it would produce no video, only audio. Now video works :)

(It was 1.41 it didn't work with)

Also how does 1080p movie compatibility stand with the update to 1.52? Will the majority still need to be transcoded?

It works because the program now use tsmuxer instead of ffmpeg to mux. Yes the majority of 1080p still need to be transcoded there is no working workaround, the only thing you lose is size is about doubled.

Audioboxer
28th January 2008, 21:23
It works because the program now use tsmuxer instead of ffmpeg to mux. Yes the majority of 1080p still need to be transcoded there is no working workaround, the only thing you lose is size is about doubled.

Sadly I jumped the gun a little too early.

The movie didn't play on the PC before (where as all my other mkv2vob files did) and it started playing on the PC after using 1.52. I therefore thought it would now work on the PS3 as well.

However after adding the new VOB file to TVersity, it still produces a black screen on the PS3 and doesn't work. (and yeah I tried the push triangle, play from beginning trick)

Could it be to do with the resolution? 1280x544?

I'll try copying it to the PS3 hard drive and playing, incase it's TVersity somehow screwing something up.

zAndy1
28th January 2008, 21:35
jamos, what's this aviddts? Is it free? Is it the best thing to use to convert DTS to AC3? Sounds like your method is a good way to do 1080p DTS files, I presume you use mkvextract to extract the video and DTS file, then convert the DTS to AC3 and then rejoin with mkvmerge? Then put the file with the AC3 soundtrack through mkv2vob.

jamos
28th January 2008, 23:19
jamos, what's this aviddts? Is it free? Is it the best thing to use to convert DTS to AC3? Sounds like your method is a good way to do 1080p DTS files, I presume you use mkvextract to extract the video and DTS file, then convert the DTS to AC3 and then rejoin with mkvmerge? Then put the file with the AC3 soundtrack through mkv2vob.

Yes that is what I do. I use besweet directly to convert the extracted dts file to ac3 using the azidts filter. which I believe is available from the doom9 download page.

I like it better plus I can boost the audio a bit to get a simular lvl as the original dts. But it does take a long time (about the same time as playing the movie) you need to find a demo of Windvd 5 or 6 out there to get it to work though, and they are currently on ver. 8 and it doesnt work with that version. plus another file dtssource.ax has to be registered in your registry.

There is a guide out there somewhere on the web on how to do it but I can not seem to find it right now.

but as for mkv2vob converting dts to ac3 it will work fine but if you get audio sync issues then you may have to fiddle around with it.

jamos
28th January 2008, 23:38
Sadly I jumped the gun a little too early.

The movie didn't play on the PC before (where as all my other mkv2vob files did) and it started playing on the PC after using 1.52. I therefore thought it would now work on the PS3 as well.

However after adding the new VOB file to TVersity, it still produces a black screen on the PS3 and doesn't work. (and yeah I tried the push triangle, play from beginning trick)

Could it be to do with the resolution? 1280x544?

I'll try copying it to the PS3 hard drive and playing, incase it's TVersity somehow screwing something up.

that resolution is fine it is 720p letterbox (they crop the horizontal top and bottom to make the file smaller) and it works on the ps3. It should work on your ps3 also but the no video but audio bug is usually associated with video streams with more that 4 ref frames and the ps3 cant handle that (you probably will need to force transcode that one).

Audioboxer
29th January 2008, 00:03
that resolution is fine it is 720p letterbox (they crop the horizontal top and bottom to make the file smaller) and it works on the ps3. It should work on your ps3 also but the no video but audio bug is usually associated with video streams with more that 4 ref frames and the ps3 cant handle that (you probably will need to force transcode that one).

No video/audio only, only happened on the PC and that was with 1.41.

With 1.52 audio & video worked on the PC.

(this is playing the output VOB file, playing the MKV file on the PC always works)

On the PS3 it never plays anything (no video/audio just black screen) - This was tested through TVersity. I've not tried it off the PS3 hard drive, but I doubt that would make a difference.

If I push triangle and go to info the PS3 reads the resolution and audio info fine, it just doesn't play.

In regards to the "4 ref frames" part is there anyway to check that with the original MKV file?

Thanks

zAndy1
29th January 2008, 00:22
I can't find avidts (or is it azidts?) anywhere, can't find it in the download section. Where did you get it from?

Cheers
Andy

jamos
29th January 2008, 00:39
I can't find avidts (or is it azidts?) anywhere, can't find it in the download section. Where did you get it from?

Cheers
Andy
sorry azidts
http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/software2.htm

jamos
29th January 2008, 00:41
No video/audio only, only happened on the PC and that was with 1.41.

With 1.52 audio & video worked on the PC.

(this is playing the output VOB file, playing the MKV file on the PC always works)

On the PS3 it never plays anything (no video/audio just black screen) - This was tested through TVersity. I've not tried it off the PS3 hard drive, but I doubt that would make a difference.

If I push triangle and go to info the PS3 reads the resolution and audio info fine, it just doesn't play.

In regards to the "4 ref frames" part is there anyway to check that with the original MKV file?

Thanks

try running the mkv through mkv2vob and use force transcode.

3r1c
29th January 2008, 01:39
Audioboxer, are you using the "automatic" setting?

Also its not as simple as 4 ref frames, you can have more or less, its a combination of certain options, and mkv2vob already checks them in automatic mode.

Audioboxer
29th January 2008, 01:43
Audioboxer, are you using the "automatic" setting?

Also its not as simple as 4 ref frames, you can have more or less, its a combination of certain options, and mkv2vob already checks them in automatic mode.

Yup I always use automatic.

It's a funny one this, I copied the movie to my PS3 hard drive (previously I was streaming) and the thumbnail clip works!

You know the small 10 second or so clip that plays next to the movie name, but when I load the movie I still get a black screen.

On triangle, information, everything shows as well, file type - MPG, size - 4717MB, length - 1:47, resolution - 1280x544, video codec - AVC 5.7 Mbps, audio codec - DD 448 KBps.

It's an HD-DVD rip of Equilibrium by the way.

There must be something though about the rip the PS3 doesn't like??? Strange that it can pull the video of the 10 sec clip ok though.... any ideas 3r1c?

Thanks

3r1c
29th January 2008, 01:53
I think this file will just be unplayable without force transcoding.

I only put in the buffer limit check in automatic mode, but there are some other things that can cause a encode not to be level 4.1 compliant (although i didnt have any test files) these files will never play.

Most I can do is update the automatic mode to detect it, but its still unplayable.

Audioboxer
29th January 2008, 01:57
I think this file will just be unplayable without force transcoding.

I only put in the buffer limit check in automatic mode, but there are some other things that can cause a encode not to be level 4.1 compliant (although i didnt have any test files) these files will never play.

Most I can do is update the automatic mode to detect it, but its still unplayable.

Yeah thats unfortunate, but it's the first movie ive come across out of many, so it's hardly a major issue.

Do you have any ideas though about what causes it not to be level 4.1 compliant, even if it's general thoughts?

Or how the PS3 manages to pull video information from the file? (it must be doing so if the thumbnail clip works)

For whatever reason anyway, it's the PS3 that doesn't want to play it - VOB file works fine on PC.

Would it help if I gave you a clip/cut of the movie file? :/

Quatre
29th January 2008, 02:22
now you really never need to force transcode. FFMPEG has issues with your files where remuxing them with tsmuxer does not. TSMUXER is a real find for ps3 users!

Basically the only time you need to reencode would be using AVC 5.1 1080p sources (4.1 1080p sources work fine with tsmuxer).

yeah its kind of funny that several ppl requested the option to force the transcode to mpeg-2 just for ff/rw and now we dont need that. Auto does the trick and if anything you now hope it doesn't transcode so you get the quicker conversion and smaller file size. But either way you get a file with ff/rw now and when you select auto (recommended) its only going to transcode if it has to , to make a working ps3 file.

also just a heads up i've had files that dont play on the pc after mkv2vob even when changing the extension to .mpg or something but they work perfect on the ps3 with full ff/rw even, so you really need to test on the ps3 as working or not working on the pc almost doens't mean anything half the time.

azyd
29th January 2008, 02:35
Audioboxer......

i managed to get that to work, it was the first movie i tried scince the new fetures.

but at first i had the same problem, all i did was trim the into from the mkv, only 32 seconds, then it converted using mvk2vob but it wanted to transcode so i stoped it and told it to never transcode and and the file works fine

hope it helps

http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/4550/0128082040if2.th.jpg (http://img186.imageshack.us/my.php?image=0128082040if2.jpg)

its from my cell phone so its not perfect

Audioboxer
29th January 2008, 02:42
Audioboxer......

i managed to get that to work, it was the first movie i tried scince the new fetures.

but at first i had the same problem, all i did was trim the into from the mkv, only 32 seconds, then it converted using mvk2vob but it wanted to transcode so i stoped it and told it to never transcode and and the file works fine

hope it helps

:thanks:

Can you tell me how to trim the intro? What program to use? Thanks.

I wonder why this works, 3r1c can you shed any light on this?

azyd what made you try this? did someone else tell you to do so?

azyd
29th January 2008, 02:54
i figured this out on my own. when i first tryed it would only fit on a dual layer disk i took the risk to burn it but it didnt work, so i copied it over to the HD from the DL dvd and i saw that the thumbnail worked fine. i then decied to play the file and let it sit and see if it would play on its own but no luck.

i got a little angry so i decided to fast ward using the instant advance(15 sec not the 30 sec) and after like 3 seconds i saw the intro, and the movie played fine from there on.

so i went back i trimed the intro to right b4 the title comes on and trimmed the credits and i got it to fit on a dvd-r burnt it and it worked fine.

the program i used was mkvtoolnix http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/downloads.html

Audioboxer
29th January 2008, 03:02
i figured this out on my own. when i first tryed it would only fit on a dual layer disk i took the risk to burn it but it didnt work, so i copied it over to the HD from the DL dvd and i saw that the thumbnail worked fine. i then decied to play the file and let it sit and see if it would play on its own but no luck.

i got a little angry so i decided to fast ward using the instant advance(15 sec not the 30 sec) and after like 3 seconds i saw the intro, and the movie played fine from there on.

so i went back i trimed the intro to right b4 the title comes on and trimmed the credits and i got it to fit on a dvd-r burnt it and it worked fine.

the program i used was mkvtoolnix http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/downloads.html

Interesting! Thing is though, I can't ff/rw with my copy :( It just stays on the black screen and the only thing I can do is quit playback.

I'll give it a go and see how it works anyway!

Can you help me work this program? What do I need to do once the program is open? Haha, ive never used it before, thanks!

3r1c
29th January 2008, 03:27
so then theres nothing wrong with the file just somebody encoded 30 secs of black at the beginning

Audioboxer
29th January 2008, 03:54
so then theres nothing wrong with the file just somebody encoded 30 secs of black at the beginning

Maybe in his case, but I let the file sit for over a minute and nothing.

Plus I can't ff like he said he can.

I've not been able to try cutting the file like azyd has yet, as I'm not sure how to with this app.

I'll wait till he comes back online and after I figure out how to do it, I'll report with how things go.

I see no reason why this would help but I'll try it.

One thing I have noticed is my copy says it was done in mkvmerge 1.8.1 and a lot of my other movies were done in 2.0.0 and higher.

Could this have any effect?

nick101181
29th January 2008, 04:14
I got a question. I have a bluray rip of a movie and the mkv plays fine on my computer, but after converting with mkv2vob, the vob playback is jerky. any ideas on what would cause this?

Audioboxer
29th January 2008, 04:54
Audioboxer......

hope it helps

http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/4550/0128082040if2.th.jpg (http://img186.imageshack.us/my.php?image=0128082040if2.jpg)

its from my cell phone so its not perfect

It worked!

No idea why, but I cut 31 seconds off the start of the video, then used MKV2VOB and set it to NO TRANSCODING and the movie works!

What is really interesting is I also created a VOB file with transcoding enforced (nothing cut, original MKV used) and it didn't work - Same black screen. I done this as well as I thought it would probably be the only option I had, as I really couldn't see why cutting time off a film would work.

Any ideas 3r1c, this was certainly a strange one. It required to be modified in mkvtoolnix to work - A transcode wouldn't even work, and I thought transcoding would always work.

My guess is it has something to do with what I posted above,

One thing I have noticed is my copy says it was done in mkvmerge 1.8.1 and a lot of my other movies were done in 2.0.0 and higher.

As the newly created 31 seconds shorter MKV read it was created in 2.1.0, compared to the original at 1.8.1.

I suspect even if I only cut 1 second it would still work, it's something to do with it being passed through mkvtoolnix again that causes it to work - I'll test this 1 second theory tomorrow, im off to bed as im tired.

Oh well, im happy now! Got the movie working with no quality loss :) If anyone else has some 720p movies that don't work, try the above method!

chubsta
29th January 2008, 10:19
I have registered just to say thanks for this great program - i have converted over 50 films and only 1 has had any issues (audio out of synch) - cant beleive how simple it all was - 2 clicks and everything works.

Thanks for continuing to work on it too!

one quick question - i have a 1080p file - i am aware there may be audio-synch issues if it is not transcoded, so if i choose 'automatic' as i always do for the 720p files will it decide automatically if it needs to transcode the file, or do i have to force transcoding? cheers...

Irishkid
29th January 2008, 15:03
A bit off topic here, but is there a similar application that can do this with .ts files?

Thanks

jamos
29th January 2008, 15:48
I have registered just to say thanks for this great program - i have converted over 50 films and only 1 has had any issues (audio out of synch) - cant beleive how simple it all was - 2 clicks and everything works.

Thanks for continuing to work on it too!

one quick question - i have a 1080p file - i am aware there may be audio-synch issues if it is not transcoded, so if i choose 'automatic' as i always do for the 720p files will it decide automatically if it needs to transcode the file, or do i have to force transcoding? cheers...

Yes use auto and it will transcode it if it needs to.

jamos
29th January 2008, 15:50
I got a question. I have a bluray rip of a movie and the mkv plays fine on my computer, but after converting with mkv2vob, the vob playback is jerky. any ideas on what would cause this?

jerky on your computer? some players have issues with .ts files. should play find on your ps3. If it is jerky on your ps3 post again.

hexperience
29th January 2008, 17:27
Just ran a movie through mkv2vob and noticed that as it was muxing the temp filename was *.vob.m2ts

If I now run the *.vob file through tsremux and select blu-ray output should it work? Of course I realize it's dependant on a lot of factors of the original file, but in general, is this all I need to do, mvk->(mkv2vob)->vob->(tsremux)->blu-ray formant->Burner?

Cheers

3r1c
29th January 2008, 19:09
Just ran a movie through mkv2vob and noticed that as it was muxing the temp filename was *.vob.m2ts

If I now run the *.vob file through tsremux and select blu-ray output should it work? Of course I realize it's dependant on a lot of factors of the original file, but in general, is this all I need to do, mvk->(mkv2vob)->vob->(tsremux)->blu-ray formant->Burner?

Cheers

Unless the original h264 is encoded with blu-ray compatibiliy (very unlikely) it wont play as a blu-ray.

plantunes
29th January 2008, 20:34
Hi there to you all...
I'm a newbie in Doom9...
I need help!!!
The issue is that I've been using MKv2VOB to convert several MKVs I have with movies in High Definition.
But before the convertion, I mux the MKV (I believe that this is the term to use....) and insert PORTUGUESE subtitles, since I'm from Portugal, obviously!!!
I get a new brand VOB with Portuguese Sub-titles!!!
My issue is that all of this primarally began because I wanted this movies to be played in a DVD (or several depending on the size of the file) and NERO doesn't allow me to burn this VOBs as DVD VIDEO!
First, it was the size of each vob....bigger than 2 Gb!
With VOB Splitter, that passed away, but still no burning...because it stated there were no IFOs!
I then tryed the freeware IFOEdit, which creates the necessary IFOs and other files...
But IFOEdit does not recognize the VOBs as "real" VOBs...which indead they aren't...
Burning the VOBs as DVD Data or DVD UDF with audio_ts and video_ts structure....won't work.
Data is read, but subtitles option is not "opened"!
UDF is even worse..the PS3 doesn't even recognize any data!

PLEASE....CAN ANYONE HELP???

I JUST NEED TO KNOW HOW TO RECORD VOBs created with MKV2VOB AS DVD VIDEO!!!

PAULO

hexperience
29th January 2008, 21:07
Unless the original h264 is encoded with blu-ray compatibiliy (very unlikely) it wont play as a blu-ray.

Thanks... you saved me a coster! ;)

So really there is no consistant way to make mini blu-rays from MKV's because the encoding in MKV can be quite varried.

The only consistant way is to re-encode the whole thing.... more reading to do. (Every time I think I'm getting close I get knocked off track again.)

Quatre
29th January 2008, 21:24

So really there is no consistant way to make mini blu-rays from MKV's because the encoding in MKV can be quite varried.

The only consistant way is to re-encode the whole thing.... more reading to do. (Every time I think I'm getting close I get knocked off track again.)

I know from AVCHD camcorders you can burn a normal dvdr i believe of the footage that plays in bluray players only. (you can also burn a normal dvd that plays in reg dvd players)

but point is, its the burning of HD avchd footage to a normal dvdr that plays only in blueray players as an HD disc so that may be what your looking for if that helps and you can find what progs are used to burn avchd cam footage to dvdr for play in blueray players.

this thread and prog is really for playback on ps3 though via streaming and/or transfered to the ps3 internal hdd or from an ext. fat32 hdd (for stuff under 4gb). thats what i use for the smaller stuff like tv eps and for larger stuf flike movies i transfer to the ps3 internal which i upgraded to 320gb (current largest capacity 2.5" sata). when you call up sony about ps3, it mentions that "currently only fat16 or fat32 ext. hdd's work with ps3" so the way they state "currently" is hope that they may enable ntfs support in the future which would be great and allow for large 500-1tb etc. usb ext. 3.5" hdd and wold be kind of better then 360 which doesnt have ntfs either (though they would probably follow suit and in the meantime 360 works with hfs+ which is just as good and ps3 doenst have)

i'd still use 2.5" ext. anyway that need no extra power cord and hopefully those will get larger then 320gb soon.

jamos
29th January 2008, 22:17
31rc can you in the next version leave the extension for the remux as .ts as i think some are getting confused as what is really the output on tsmuxer. Then it would be easy to see from the output if the file was remuxed or transcoded. ie remux = video.ts transcoded = video.vob.

thanks for any help,
Jamos

Quatre
29th January 2008, 22:20
31rc can you in the next version leave the extension for the remux as .ts as i think some are getting confused as what is really the output on tsmuxer. Then it would be easy to see from the output if the file was remuxed or transcoded. ie remux = video.ts transcoded = video.vob.

thanks for any help,
Jamos

good point as if you dont pay attention your not sure what it did as either way you get a .vob

will the .ts play on ps3 though? .ts used to play on ps3 but then with new fw update it doesn't until you conver it to a program stream. so even if the remuxed .ts from mkv2vob does play it could still be confusing, maybe .m2ts or .mts would be better as that is an AVC fiile type and .mpg for the ones that are transcoded to mpeg-2.

Sean6293
29th January 2008, 22:46
hey everyone in have a problem that i haven't been able to solve with searching. i'm trying to encode a mkv 1080p video to play on my ps3. i run it through mkv2vob (latest version) and it comes up with numerous buffer underrun errors and says its going to ignore them... okay. the program finishes no problem but when i g to play the resulting file, the beginning has some issues with studdering video and the audio goes out of sync. after like 5seconds or so the audio and video are both playing smoothly (and continue to do so for the whole movie) but the audio is 5-10seconds out of sync...

i've done the same process with other videos of equal size and they play fine, so i'm curious if this is a problem with the specific files or if my computer just can't handle transcoding them? :dunno:

naj
29th January 2008, 22:55
Ei Paulo, I'm from Portugal too. Maybe I can help in this matter.

You just can't burn the mkv2vob output as a standard DVD. All you can do to play it's contents on PS3 is to burn in a DVD as UDF oor ISO (depending on the size of the vob), but just the vob file inside a folder named "VIDEO" in the root of the DVD.

BTW, how did you insert subtitles in the vob file? Hard-coded? Or in "sup" format? What tools did you use? Did you re-encoded the MKV file or just muxed the subtitle track along it? I'm asking this as mkv2vob, as to my knowledge, just uses the first video track and first audio track to create the vob, ignoring all other tracks, including subtitles...

Anyway, good luck.

And as I've asked before, could please 3r1c spend a bit of time, whenever possible, with this subtitle support? Many thanks for the ever better/best tool I've ever seen to support in PS3 what Sony should already support nativelly :)

WicKeDcHilD
29th January 2008, 23:31
3r1c, i ran a bunch of my mkv's through your mkv2vob and now you come out with your new version that has fast forward/rewind, i wanna be able to do the files with the new version now... what program could i use to undo what the old version did, so i can redo them with your new version?? or am i screwed lol

Yaka
29th January 2008, 23:58
the new rar file is throwing up errors thur winrar for tried re downloading sevral times

! D:\mkv2vob.rar: CRC failed in tools\ffmpeg.exe. The file is corrupt
! D:\mkv2vob.rar: Unexpected end of archive

jamos
30th January 2008, 00:14
good point as if you dont pay attention your not sure what it did as either way you get a .vob

will the .ts play on ps3 though? .ts used to play on ps3 but then with new fw update it doesn't until you conver it to a program stream. so even if the remuxed .ts from mkv2vob does play it could still be confusing, maybe .m2ts or .mts would be better as that is an AVC fiile type and .mpg for the ones that are transcoded to mpeg-2.

.ts files play fine on the ps3 and the remuxed file is a transport stream container.

jamos
30th January 2008, 00:17
3r1c, i ran a bunch of my mkv's through your mkv2vob and now you come out with your new version that has fast forward/rewind, i wanna be able to do the files with the new version now... what program could i use to undo what the old version did, so i can redo them with your new version?? or am i screwed lol

could try running the files through tsmuxer and see if that fixes it.

jamos
30th January 2008, 00:19
hey everyone in have a problem that i haven't been able to solve with searching. i'm trying to encode a mkv 1080p video to play on my ps3. i run it through mkv2vob (latest version) and it comes up with numerous buffer underrun errors and says its going to ignore them... okay. the program finishes no problem but when i g to play the resulting file, the beginning has some issues with studdering video and the audio goes out of sync. after like 5seconds or so the audio and video are both playing smoothly (and continue to do so for the whole movie) but the audio is 5-10seconds out of sync...

i've done the same process with other videos of equal size and they play fine, so i'm curious if this is a problem with the specific files or if my computer just can't handle transcoding them? :dunno:

This has been discussed many times. you probably manually need to adjust a offset using ffmpeg. It is a problem with your files that are causing this not mkv2vob or your computer.

Sean6293
30th January 2008, 00:48
This has been discussed many times. you probably manually need to adjust a offset using ffmpeg. It is a problem with your files that are causing this not mkv2vob or your computer.obviously i'm new to this. anyone able to help me further diagnose this problem? :(

Audioboxer
30th January 2008, 00:59
Is there anything you can do about low speech volume on the films?

A few films I've convered end up with sfx louder than speech. I guess it's because I'm just using my TV speaker for output, and the original file is 5.1 AC3?

Weird though, it only seems to be on one or two films, so it's not really that big an issue - And I can still hear things, it's not like its not watchable.

Quatre
30th January 2008, 03:53

not sure if there is a way. you probably should have kept the original mkv file so that you could redo them now as a vob with ff/rw. if you wanted ff/rw with older version you could have forced the transcode to mpeg-2

Sean6293
30th January 2008, 04:56
i'm gonna try splitting my mkv up and checking the version of the h264 file. it needs to be 4.1 right?

WicKeDcHilD
30th January 2008, 05:48

could try running the files through tsmuxer and see if that fixes it.

not sure if there is a way. you probably should have kept the original mkv file so that you could redo them now as a vob with ff/rw. if you wanted ff/rw with older version you could have forced the transcode to mpeg-2

i ran the file through mkvmerge and it seems to be working properly, i am just running it through mkv2vob right now, will post back when its done. I also had to set the fps to 23.976 in the mkvmerge because it was defaulting to 25, didnt know that till i just read it on the web before i converted and posted here Lol, was pissing me off, kept ending up with audio 3-4 seconds out of sync

mmace
30th January 2008, 10:37
Love the software as I've said, just wondered if you've considered a batch convert option?
I usually download a few things at once and have LOADS on my HDD all that need converting, would love to be able to just set them all going and leave the PC working away.

Honeyko
30th January 2008, 13:55
I hate to sound horribly impertinent, but why burn plastic?

-- I'm assuming there's a means to merely play an ISO on one's ps3...???

The procedure would be something like:
1. mkv2vob
2. ImgTool-type utility
3. ISO player

WicKeDcHilD
30th January 2008, 13:57
well it seems to have worked, i went to bed and left it running, woke this morning and played it on pc and ps3 this morning and it seems to be good... I'm testing with a few more movies to make sure its actually working but it looks like it is! It did put the files back together properly so mkv2vob can find everything and fast forward/rewind is all good, its the sound/video sync im checking.

Edit:
just in case someone else wants to try it out

mkv2vob created files are named .mpg
i open up mkvmerge GUI 2.1.0 and load the file
i change the video frame rate to 23.976 ( or mkvmerge defaults to 25fps )
start the remux and wait till its done and is a brand new .mkv :)
then run it through mkv2vob like normal

DiRTDOG
30th January 2008, 15:03
3r1c, thanks for the update I have been getting that error on some of my .mkv's. Your hard work is much appreciated!!!

Is there a way to run mkv2vob in with more than one file, like a batch function?

Sgt.BigNuts
30th January 2008, 15:06
3r1c, thanks for the update I have been getting that error on some of my .mkv's. Your hard work is much appreciated!!!

Is there a way to run mkv2vob in with more than one file, like a batch function?

Brilliant program, but as said above , a batch option would be perfect, cheers :)

georgem67
30th January 2008, 16:07
well it seems to have worked, i went to bed and left it running, woke this morning and played it on pc and ps3 this morning and it seems to be good... I'm testing with a few more movies to make sure its actually working but it looks like it is! It did put the files back together properly so mkv2vob can find everything and fast forward/rewind is all good, its the sound/video sync im checking.

Edit:
just in case someone else wants to try it out

mkv2vob created files are named .mpg
i open up mkvmerge GUI 2.1.0 and load the file
i change the video frame rate to 23.976 ( or mkvmerge defaults to 25fps )
start the remux and wait till its done and is a brand new .mkv :)
then run it through mkv2vob like normal

mkv2vob files are vob not .mpg
how did you get .mpg files and load them to mkmerge?
if the ext was .mpg they should have ff/rewound anyway!
I also need to redo a few old vobs....how else would you suggest?

Cheers

WicKeDcHilD
30th January 2008, 16:25
mkv2vob creates .vob from mkv's, in order for me to use wmp11 to stream to my ps3 all i do is rename the .vob part of the file with .mpg, so wmp11 see's the files in my shared folder. They didnt have full fast forward and rewind support, actually no rewind support at all and only 1.5x fast forward. Which was annoying as hell, i couldnt even stop the movie and start it again at the same spot as when i turned it off. Now i can and it seems the audio and video is in sync but im still checking it to make sure. I'm watching a movie right now on the ps3 to make sure there isnt any drifting audio/video. If you had created your vob files with mkv2vob you should try what i am trying, just make sure to set the proper fps in the mkvmerge gui

hexperience
30th January 2008, 18:41
this thread and prog is really for playback on ps3 though via streaming and/or transfered to the ps3 internal hdd

I agree, I'm just trying to see if there is a bonus way to play stuff on my blu-ray player in another room. (Got it for free with my TV).

The main reason I want to put stuff on disc is simply to store it. Even if it only plays in the PS3 that is fine.

And I see in an earlier post that .vob does work if burnt to the /VIDEO folder.

hexperience
30th January 2008, 18:55
Anyone have this issue?

I ran an mkv through that had DTS audio, the result file stayed in audio sync by dropping video frames!

I suspect the orginal mkv, but thought I'd see if I'm not the only one seeing this?

Cheers

natronicus
31st January 2008, 00:32
I've seen comments in this thread stating there is a way to invoke this program from the command line, but I can't figure it out, and there's no readme.

How do you do it?

"mkv2vob infile.mkv outfile.vob" doesn't work.

3r1c
31st January 2008, 00:35
there are no command line options

Yaka
31st January 2008, 00:39
where are you guys downloading the latest version from?

ive been trying the one on the first post of this thread and is giving me errors when i unrar

Aamchi
31st January 2008, 02:04
Great Tool! Batch processing would be nice. Also the possibiliy of changing the temp directory would be great. I only have 1 GB free space on my windows partition :confused:

jamos
31st January 2008, 02:06
where are you guys downloading the latest version from?

ive been trying the one on the first post of this thread and is giving me errors when i unrar

there is nothing wrong with the .rar file. I just redownloaded it and tested it.

Yaka
31st January 2008, 02:12
well i uninsstaled win rar and re-installed it after a fresh boot its working now

no idea why it was giving me errors tho

jamos
31st January 2008, 02:19
Great Tool! Batch processing would be nice. Also the possibiliy of changing the temp directory would be great. I only have 1 GB free space on my windows partition :confused:

you can set your temp directory to another drive by changing your settings in xp in your
system properties->advanced options->Environment Variables. If you only have 1 gig. left on your windows partition I strongly advise you do so even if you do not use this program.
http://img169.imageshack.us/my.php?image=settingsce8.png

jamos
31st January 2008, 02:22
well i uninsstaled win rar and re-installed it after a fresh boot its working now

no idea why it was giving me errors tho

glad to see you got it working!:)

LandCrab
31st January 2008, 03:25
Hi Quatre !,
I'm asking fro a little help here if that's ok ...
Could you tell me what program you use to transfer your files from PC to PS3 ... Is it TVersity or Red kawa? .

Reason is I've been using Red Kawa .. yet I find to transfer it to the PS3 the file extension needs to be changed from vob to (mpg) or else I get a error message. When it's copied I find the thumbnail doesn't work .

I've copied files directly to the PS3 off a disk as a vob and the thumbnails work. I'm guessing it's the file extension that causes the thumbnail not to work ?

Thanks again :)

jamos
31st January 2008, 04:01
Hi Quatre !,
I'm asking fro a little help here if that's ok ...
Could you tell me what program you use to transfer your files from PC to PS3 ... Is it TVersity or Red kawa? .

Reason is I've been using Red Kawa .. yet I find to transfer it to the PS3 the file extension needs to be changed from vob to (mpg) or else I get a error message. When it's copied I find the thumbnail doesn't work .

I've copied files directly to the PS3 off a disk as a vob and the thumbnails work. I'm guessing it's the file extension that causes the thumbnail not to work ?

Thanks again :)

not to answer for Quatre, but using tversity you can copy the file to the ps3 (using copy from the ps3) and it will have thumbnails (or previews) without even having to rename the file.

kazuo
31st January 2008, 06:39
This is the perfect app I was looking for my PS3. I no longer have to wait for Sony to support MKV. Of course it takes a bit of work, but it's well worth it. Much thanks! :)

LandCrab
31st January 2008, 09:25
Thanx Jamos!
Just what I wanted to hear ! I'll DL it and give it a whirl!
BTW does it work much like Red Kawa? with the ip address in the internet explorer on the PS3? :)

3r1c
31st January 2008, 09:49
tversity shows up under videos in the ps3, no need to enter any ip in the ps3 browser.

LandCrab
31st January 2008, 10:03
Damn you guys are so quick to reply ! Awesome . Yeah I was going to edit my last post .. I figured it out =)

**Hey thanx heaps 3r1c ! Your programme has made alot of happy people out there !Thanx to people like yourself this is at all possible. I can't emphasise it enough !! Not to mention the feed back
** Top notch **
:)

Irishkid
31st January 2008, 11:36
If I burn teh vob file on to a blue-ray disk can I play it on the ps3?

stewart1
31st January 2008, 13:19
thanks for the fine software was just wondering what dvd's i can burn the vobs on i have about 15 vobs and everyone is 30 to 40mb to big to fit on the dvd-r's

x400
31st January 2008, 14:44
thank you sooo much for this, cant believe i havent heard about it till now :)

hexperience
31st January 2008, 14:51
Anyone have this issue?

I ran an mkv through that had DTS audio, the result file stayed in audio sync by dropping video frames!

I suspect the orginal mkv, but thought I'd see if I'm not the only one seeing this?

Cheers

-Bump-

I've had this on a couple of different source files now...

Sorry if this has already been covered.

What happens is the video speeds up or skips frames in order to keep up with the audio. (At least that's what it looks like when you watch the file)

Anyone have this, or know how to "clean up" the source file?

Cheers

Sean6293
31st January 2008, 16:27

hey guys i'm still having trouble with this. i tried taking my mkv and extracting the a/v streams then use mkvmerge to merge them back into one making sure to put 23.976 as the frame rate for the video and i'm still getting a bit of video stutter in the opening seconds of the clip followed by a smooth playing, but out of sync movie.

this is the mkvinfo for the file after i rejoined it w/ mkvmerge:

(MKVInfo) + EBML head at 0
(MKVInfo) |+ Doc type: matroska at 5
(MKVInfo) |+ Doc type version: 1 at 16
(MKVInfo) |+ Doc type read version: 1 at 20
(MKVInfo) + Segment, size 8532662568 at 24
(MKVInfo) |+ Seek head at 36
(MKVInfo) | + Seek entry at 41
(MKVInfo) | + Seek ID: 0x15 0x49 0xa9 0x66 (KaxInfo) at 44
(MKVInfo) | + Seek position: 4099 at 51
(MKVInfo) | + Seek entry at 56
(MKVInfo) | + Seek ID: 0x16 0x54 0xae 0x6b (KaxTracks) at 59
(MKVInfo) | + Seek position: 4261 at 66
(MKVInfo) | + Seek entry at 71
(MKVInfo) | + Seek ID: 0x11 0x4d 0x9b 0x74 (KaxSeekHead) at 74
(MKVInfo) | + Seek position: 8532561134 at 81
(MKVInfo) | + Seek entry at 89
(MKVInfo) | + Seek ID: 0x1c 0x53 0xbb 0x6b (KaxCues) at 92
(MKVInfo) | + Seek position: 8532515198 at 99
(MKVInfo) |+ EbmlVoid (size: 4025) at 107
(MKVInfo) |+ Segment information at 4135
(MKVInfo) | + Timecode scale: 1000000 at 4141
(MKVInfo) | + Muxing application: libebml v0.7.7 + libmatroska v0.8.1 at 4148
(MKVInfo) | + Writing application: mkvmerge v2.1.0 ('Another Place To Fall') built on Aug 19 2007 13:40:07 at 4186
(MKVInfo) | + Duration: 8177.824s (02:16:17.824000000) at 4260
(MKVInfo) | + Date: Thu Jan 31 04:15:36 2008 UTC at 4267
(MKVInfo) | + Segment UID: 0xbc 0x53 0x6f 0x23 0xff 0xd2 0x9d 0xf5 0x93 0xcb 0x82 0xb0 0x7f 0x60 0x54 0x3d at 4278
(MKVInfo) |+ Segment tracks at 4297
(MKVInfo) | + A track at 4303
(MKVInfo) | + Track number: 1 at 4306
(MKVInfo) | + Track UID: 712587407 at 4309
(MKVInfo) | + Track type: video at 4316
(MKVInfo) | + Enabled: 1 at 4319
(MKVInfo) | + Default flag: 1 at 4322
(MKVInfo) | + Forced flag: 0 at 4325
(MKVInfo) | + Lacing flag: 0 at 4329
(MKVInfo) | + MinCache: 1 at 4332
(MKVInfo) | + Timecode scale: 1.000000 at 4336
(MKVInfo) | + Max BlockAddition ID: 0 at 4344
(MKVInfo) | + Codec ID: V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC at 4348
(MKVInfo) | + Codec decode all: 1 at 4365
(MKVInfo) | + CodecPrivate, length 170 at 4368
(MKVInfo) | + Default duration: 41.708ms (23.976 fps for a video track) at 4542
(MKVInfo) | + Language: und at 4550
(MKVInfo) | + Video track at 4557
(MKVInfo) | + Pixel width: 1920 at 4559
(MKVInfo) | + Pixel height: 800 at 4563
(MKVInfo) | + Interlaced: 0 at 4567
(MKVInfo) | + Display width: 1920 at 4570
(MKVInfo) | + Display height: 800 at 4575
(MKVInfo) | + A track at 4580
(MKVInfo) | + Track number: 2 at 4582
(MKVInfo) | + Track UID: 2486764171 at 4585
(MKVInfo) | + Track type: audio at 4592
(MKVInfo) | + Enabled: 1 at 4595
(MKVInfo) | + Default flag: 1 at 4598
(MKVInfo) | + Forced flag: 0 at 4601
(MKVInfo) | + Lacing flag: 1 at 4605
(MKVInfo) | + MinCache: 0 at 4608
(MKVInfo) | + Timecode scale: 1.000000 at 4612
(MKVInfo) | + Max BlockAddition ID: 0 at 4620
(MKVInfo) | + Codec ID: A_AC3 at 4624
(MKVInfo) | + Codec decode all: 1 at 4631
(MKVInfo) | + Default duration: 32.000ms (31.250 fps for a video track) at 4634
(MKVInfo) | + Language: und at 4642
(MKVInfo) | + Audio track at 4649
(MKVInfo) | + Sampling frequency: 48000.000000 at 4651
(MKVInfo) | + Channels: 6 at 4657
(MKVInfo) | + A track at 4660
(MKVInfo) | + Track number: 3 at 4662
(MKVInfo) | + Track UID: 2095161757 at 4665
(MKVInfo) | + Track type: subtitles at 4672
(MKVInfo) | + Enabled: 1 at 4675
(MKVInfo) | + Default flag: 1 at 4678
(MKVInfo) | + Forced flag: 0 at 4681
(MKVInfo) | + Lacing flag: 0 at 4685
(MKVInfo) | + MinCache: 0 at 4688
(MKVInfo) | + Timecode scale: 1.000000 at 4692
(MKVInfo) | + Max BlockAddition ID: 0 at 4700
(MKVInfo) | + Codec ID: S_TEXT/UTF8 at 4704
(MKVInfo) | + Codec decode all: 1 at 4717
(MKVInfo) | + Language: und at 4720
(MKVInfo) | + A track at 4727
(MKVInfo) | + Track number: 4 at 4729
(MKVInfo) | + Track UID: 901411232 at 4732
(MKVInfo) | + Track type: subtitles at 4739
(MKVInfo) | + Enabled: 1 at 4742
(MKVInfo) | + Default flag: 0 at 4745
(MKVInfo) | + Forced flag: 0 at 4748
(MKVInfo) | + Lacing flag: 0 at 4752
(MKVInfo) | + MinCache: 0 at 4755
(MKVInfo) | + Timecode scale: 1.000000 at 4759
(MKVInfo) | + Max BlockAddition ID: 0 at 4767
(MKVInfo) | + Codec ID: S_TEXT/UTF8 at 4771
(MKVInfo) | + Codec decode all: 1 at 4784
(MKVInfo) | + Language: und at 4787
(MKVInfo) |+ EbmlVoid (size: 1024) at 4794
(MKVInfo) |+ Cluster at 5821

Yaka
31st January 2008, 19:20
do we need more than 2gb for this to work its magic? i did 2 4gb mkvs 2 vob and both are around 200mb:/

chubsta
31st January 2008, 21:30
do we need more than 2gb for this to work its magic? i did 2 4gb mkvs 2 vob and both are around 200mb:/

Im running it on a crappy old pc with 512mb of ram and it works great for me...

puppydg68
31st January 2008, 22:25
Since converting to TS/Vob increases the original size of the mkv, what ist he best way to cut the credits or something to get it to fit on a 4.3 DVD-5
h264ts cutter gives an error opening any of the resuling .TS or .M2TS of mkv converted.

SKAPiter
31st January 2008, 22:54
Great news about ff/rw working.

1. Multiple audio tracks.
2. Splitter for external HD (fat32)
3. Batch or Job Que

.. and let me know where to send the donation. :-)

Yaka
31st January 2008, 23:12
i meant do we need more than 2gb free on C:\ drive?

sorry about not being clear before

azyd
1st February 2008, 00:29
puppydg68

your best bet is to cut it b4 you convert, i cut the credits and anything thats b4 the main title.

i use http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/downloads.html

YAKA

you are going to need more that 2 gigs. if the movie is 4.5gigs you are going to need at least 9 gigs more if you have dts and have to convert to ac3

Sean6293
1st February 2008, 15:38
i'm still having trouble with this audio sync issue. anyone willing to point me in the direction of a proper FAQ or something?

x400
1st February 2008, 20:43
i get an error when it tries to mux the files.. it just says "error muxing" (short statement along those lines)

the file is 1080p with 1.5mb DTS audio if that helps

Audioboxer
1st February 2008, 23:22
-Bump-

I've had this on a couple of different source files now...

Sorry if this has already been covered.

What happens is the video speeds up or skips frames in order to keep up with the audio. (At least that's what it looks like when you watch the file)

Anyone have this, or know how to "clean up" the source file?

Cheers

Ahh I wondered why my copy of Ratatouille was doing that! (it is DTS audio)

Thing is mate, it only does it on the PS3, not PC.

Playback of the VOB file on the PC = Smooth in the places I seen it jump on the PS3.

x400
2nd February 2008, 00:37
i get an error when it tries to mux the files.. it just says "error muxing" (short statement along those lines)

the file is 1080p with 1.5mb DTS audio if that helps

i figured out my problem, i was running out of hard drive space..

but my problem now is.... the program is using my C:\ to place the temporary files into (like the audio streams etc)

but my c:\ is packed... i was hoping it would use the drive im saving to to place all those temp files into D:\ since that has 50gbs of free space

anyway in telling it where to put the temp files??

Sean6293
3rd February 2008, 01:10
hey guys, i'm still trying to figure out how to fix this audio sync issue. it only occurs with a few files that i try, most work fine. but its infuriating and i'd love it if someone could help me out with figuring out what to do with the few files that go out of sync.

Audioboxer
3rd February 2008, 02:31
hey 3r1c seeing as you use tsremuxer, do you plan on updating mkv2vob when new versions of tsremuxer come out?

http://www.smlabs.net/tsMuxer/tsMuxeR_1.2.10.zip

just out

I thought about overwriting the tsremuxer.exe in mkv2vobs "tools" folder, but the large difference in size put me off.

I'll wait for your word on it!

Also I can confirm the DTS bug on every MKV I've tried - What happens is the sound plays untouched, but the video seems to get choppy/speed up for some reason - It does this on intervals, it's not consistent, and for me it ranges between a couple of seconds to 5-10 seconds. Everything remains in-sync after the choppiness stops.

Once it stopped my playback completely and returned to the XMB.

Audioboxer
3rd February 2008, 04:40
Just to update, I went ahead and replaced the tsremuxer.exe in the tools folder with an up to date one and it seems to work ok! (sorry 3r1c I was eager to update and see if it worked!)

I noticed you were using version 1.2.0 in MKV2VOB 1.52,

History
* Version 1.2.9
- Fixed MKV parsing module. Some MKV files did not work (lace sice invalid detected for xiph laces, this cause access violation error)
* Version 1.2.8
- Fixed AC3 stream detection. Some AC3 streams were not recognized (broken in version 1.2.6 only)
* Version 1.2.6
- Added Dolby True HD support
- Added MPEG audio layer 1/2/3 support
- Fixed a bug in the M2TS parsing module. Sometimes TS frames were lost.
- Fixed a bug in the Matroska parsing module. Short NAL unit len codes for H.264 tracks did not work.

A bug was fixed in 1.2.6 that IMO looks like it may be the one that causes the strange frame jump/speed up when an MKV with DTS is remuxed.

I'll report back my findings on DTS MKVs soon! (I'll go see if the movies I have still jump)

ps. I'm not sure what is new in version 1.2.10 yet?

Sean6293
3rd February 2008, 05:03
Just to update, I went ahead and replaced the tsremuxer.exe in the tools folder with an up to date one and it seems to work ok! (sorry 3r1c I was eager to update and see if it worked!)

I noticed you were using version 1.2.0 in MKV2VOB 1.52,

A bug was fixed in 1.2.6 that IMO looks like it may be the one that causes the strange frame jump/speed up when an MKV with DTS is remuxed.

I'll report back my findings on DTS MKVs soon! (I'll go see if the movies I have still jump)

ps. I'm not sure what is new in version 1.2.10 yet?

will this fix the audio sync issue with certain mkv's?

lchiu7
3rd February 2008, 09:28
What are you using to convert the AC3 to AAC? Something I would like to try and experiment with, but haven't found an elegant solution that is VISTA happy.

I just found eac3to and it does it in one step

eac3to %1.ac3 stdout.wav | neroaacenc -ignorelength -if - -lc -br 128000 -of %2.mp4

The resulting MP4 file (aac) is PS3 compliant.

And it works under Vista

Audioboxer
3rd February 2008, 16:37
will this fix the audio sync issue with certain mkv's?

I'm not sure what issue you mean, but the issue with MKV files with DTS audio doesn't seem to be fixed.

My copy of the matrix still suffers from the video speeding up at parts, but the audio remaining the same. (happens with Ratatouille and POTC as well)

:(

jamos
3rd February 2008, 17:41
i figured out my problem, i was running out of hard drive space..

but my problem now is.... the program is using my C:\ to place the temporary files into (like the audio streams etc)

but my c:\ is packed... i was hoping it would use the drive im saving to to place all those temp files into D:\ since that has 50gbs of free space

anyway in telling it where to put the temp files??

read up this thread there is a post that I made on how to do this.:rolleyes:

jamos
3rd February 2008, 17:44
Great news about ff/rw working.

1. Multiple audio tracks.
2. Splitter for external HD (fat32)
3. Batch or Job Que

.. and let me know where to send the donation. :-)

multiple audio tracks will not work with a XMB type file you would have to burn a AVCHD to get that.

azyd
3rd February 2008, 18:46
has any 1 tryed to remux the matrix (The.Matrix.1999.720p.HDDVD.DTS.x264-ESiR.mkv) im havin problems with it, it doesnt play right and i get an error right in the middle of the fight scene between neo and morpheus. i remuxed it twice and i get the same problem. i allso tried it with the new txmuxer from, the one that Audioboxer posted. so........

if any one has any insight in to this, please lay it on me......

Audioboxer
3rd February 2008, 20:10
has any 1 tryed to remux the matrix (The.Matrix.1999.720p.HDDVD.DTS.x264-ESiR.mkv) im havin problems with it, it doesnt play right and i get an error right in the middle of the fight scene between neo and morpheus. i remuxed it twice and i get the same problem. i allso tried it with the new txmuxer from, the one that Audioboxer posted. so........

if any one has any insight in to this, please lay it on me......

That is the movie im having my DTS issues with (same release).

What happens is the video speed up symptoms I described earlier and it ocassionly crashes during speed up sections. It displays an error saying something like "this content cannot be played".

I actually watched the whole movie last night without it crashing on me though, all I suffered from was video speed up fairly frequently.

Audioboxer
3rd February 2008, 20:19
Ok I've fixed DTS issues causing video speed up...

However I had to use GOTSent beta 10 to do this.

GOTSent offers a mux to vob option, but the suprising thing is it produces a .mpg file not .VOB.

There are some differences though,

Audio is 5.1 AC3, but it is like 348bit, instead of 640bit like 3r1c changed it to in an MKV2VOB update.

GOTSent uses h264info 12, MKV2VOB 13.

GOTSent also uses something different to change to 5.1 AC3 than MKV2VOB uses (different app).

I know this is your topic about MKV2VOB 3r1c, but im sure you don't mind me discussing things like this if it leads to DTS MKVs working better with MKV2VOB :)

For the record with GOTSent I manually updated it to tsMuxer 1.2.10 before running it.

Sean6293
3rd February 2008, 20:26
I'm not sure what issue you mean, but the issue with MKV files with DTS audio doesn't seem to be fixed.

My copy of the matrix still suffers from the video speeding up at parts, but the audio remaining the same. (happens with Ratatouille and POTC as well)

thats the file i'm having problems with. the matrix. also a copy of starwars ESB and jedi (a new hope worked fine) the problem is always the same, the video stutters right at the opening of the film and then catches up and plays smoothly for the rest of the film, except that the video is about 5-10seconds behind the audio. :(

Sean6293
3rd February 2008, 20:27
Ok I've fixed DTS issues causing video speed up...

However I had to use GOTSent beta 10 to do this.

GOTSent offers a mux to vob option, but the suprising thing is it produces a .mpg file not .VOB.

There are some differences though,

Audio is 5.1 AC3, but it is like 348bit, instead of 640bit like 3r1c changed it to in an MKV2VOB update.

GOTSent uses h264info 12, MKV2VOB 13.

GOTSent also uses something different to change to 5.1 AC3 than MKV2VOB uses (different app).

I know this is your topic about MKV2VOB 3r1c, but im sure you don't mind me discussing things like this if it leads to DTS MKVs working better with MKV2VOB :)

For the record with GOTSent I manually updated it to tsMuxer 1.2.10 before running it.i'l try my problem files with gotsent .23 beta 10 and see how it comes out. thanks.

azyd
3rd February 2008, 20:33
thanks for the info Audioboxer, ill try to see if i can get it to work as soon as i can.....

just for the record i think that GOTSent is a complete copy of MKV2VOB.....

Thanks for all the hard work 3r1c!!!!!!

Audioboxer
3rd February 2008, 20:41
thanks for the info Audioboxer, ill try to see if i can get it to work as soon as i can.....

just for the record i think that GOTSent is a complete copy of MKV2VOB.....

Thanks for all the hard work 3r1c!!!!!!

They are similar, but do some slightly different things & have slightly different pros & cons.

Also they seem to use different apps in certain places.

With the Matrix the file is smaller with GOTSent but that is because it uses a lower bitrate of AC3.

Anyone know why it outputs to MPG as well when the option says mux to VOB?

3r1c would using .MPG make any difference with MKV2VOB?

ps. It is definitely NOT transcoding either before anyone asks, does the whole process in about 10 mins which is the same amount of time MKV2VOB takes.

Also mediainfo reports "AVC video and AC3 audio", just like it does with an MKV2VOB VOB file.

Sean6293
3rd February 2008, 21:25
i'l try my problem files with gotsent .23 beta 10 and see how it comes out. thanks.tried it. didn't take very long to complete (maybe 35minutes). i get video/audio on my pc when playing with vlc media player. when i stream it to the ps3 i get audio but no video. however when i hit select while playing the video it shows up to 20mbps for video... wtf?

Kurenai
3rd February 2008, 21:29
few questions for the creator of this program

1. Is batch encoding possible i have over 80 mkv waiting to be converted i just want to leave it running overnight.

2. Does this program have multithreaded support im using a mac pro in xp and i wanted to take advantage of all 8 cores if possible.... is there some sort of tweak i can do.

3. Can this program run in linux may be under wine or something cause i hate windows...... xp not so much but vista is total garbage.

Thanks again for such a wonderful program
ps. ill take any help i can get.

Audioboxer
3rd February 2008, 21:40
tried it. didn't take very long to complete (maybe 35minutes). i get video/audio on my pc when playing with vlc media player. when i stream it to the ps3 i get audio but no video. however when i hit select while playing the video it shows up to 20mbps for video... wtf?

Matrix works streaming for me.

All I did was download beta 10, then add tsMuxeR.exe from 1.2.10 to the TS folder in GOTSent.

In GOTSent itself, I checked mux to vob and UNCHECKED split > 4GB ?

Output for the matrix was a 6.46GB MPG file (as I've said earlier, I have no idea why it is not a VOB file but hey it works, and it has 5.1 AC3)

Oh I forgot, one thing I done with the Matrix was open it in mkvtoolnix (mkvmerge) and uncheck everything apart from the top two

V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
A_DTS

and then go to start muxing to re-create the mkv.

Reason being the Matrix DTS rip we are talking about comes with subs/VOB audio voice over commentary which none of us really need.

Maybe GOTSent won't work unless you deselect everything you don't need and re-create the MKV with main video/audio only.

Sorry, I should of said I done that - The only reason I did is I keep all my MKV files on my PC, and doing this removes about 400-600MB from the MKV which = more space for me.

mkvtoolnix - http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/

(for anyone interested I tried MKV2VOB with the Matrix WITH and WITHOUT alterations made to the mkv to remove additional content, and both times it still had the video stuttering issue)

kazuo
3rd February 2008, 22:11

I've seen this "skipping" happen with a number of movies I converted. However, when I watch the same scene again on my computer (not PS3), it plays back just fine (tried it with VLC).

It's odd though because the audio stays in sync, but the video has that "catch up" skip to it.

Audioboxer
3rd February 2008, 22:17
I've seen this "skipping" happen with a number of movies I converted. However, when I watch the same scene again on my computer (not PS3), it plays back just fine (tried it with VLC).

It's odd though because the audio stays in sync, but the video has that "catch up" skip to it.

Yup that is the exact symptoms, it doesn't do it on the PC, only PS3.

Can you confirm if the movies you were watching were DTS or not? For me it only seems to happen with DTS MKVs, AC3 5.1 MKVs seem to work fine.

azyd
3rd February 2008, 22:47

Can you confirm if the movies you were watching were DTS or not? For me it only seems to happen with DTS MKVs, AC3 5.1 MKVs seem to work fine.

im trying right now an other method to see if i can get rid of the skipping..... im still useing mkv2vob but im extracting the dts audio from the mkv manually converting it to ac3 then remuxing it and replaceing the dts in the mkv file to get a brand new mkv with ac3 audio.... trying a smaller movie that gave me the same problem as the matrix (Rambo.First.Blood.1982.HDDVDRiP.720p.DTS-ES.x264-DEFiNiTiON) will let know if it works should be done in 20 min(i burn mine to dvdr, dont have a router)

kazuo
3rd February 2008, 23:01

Yes, the only movies that has happened to me were originally DTS. FYI, I've only noticed the skipping on certain "scene changes". I found that odd. (Only saw the "speed ups" in one scene, but once the scene changes, the skipping disappeared.)

It seems pretty rare. I tried it with both 1080p and 720p DTS movies. The DLNA server I'm running it from (Mediatomb on FreeBSD) is currently only on 10/100Mbit. The rest of our network is GigE... but I'm still waiting for my GigE card to come in so I can throw it in the box (if it is network related at all).

But I guess some people also said they're seeing this skipping/speed up issue when playing movies locally? :(

rahzel
3rd February 2008, 23:16
the latest version of GOTSent supports ff/rw, btw. and yeah, it muxes to MPG rather than VOB. and does it really change the bitrate? i didn't even notice that.

hopefully 3r1c can get mkv2vob to do the same.

edit: nope, the videos i did with GOTSent retained the 640kbps audio. this is what mediainfo says about the file.

Audioboxer
3rd February 2008, 23:17
im trying right now an other method to see if i can get rid of the skipping..... im still useing mkv2vob but im extracting the dts audio from the mkv manually converting it to ac3 then remuxing it and replaceing the dts in the mkv file to get a brand new mkv with ac3 audio.... trying a smaller movie that gave me the same problem as the matrix (Rambo.First.Blood.1982.HDDVDRiP.720p.DTS-ES.x264-DEFiNiTiON) will let know if it works should be done in 20 min(i burn mine to dvdr, dont have a router)

Keep me updated!

(My copy of the Matrix done is GOTSent doesn't work overall by the way, the audio cuts out after 12~13 mins for no reason :/ It did eliminate video skipping though - First scene it happens at with MKV2VOB for me is when Neo is woken up by his computer and answers the door to give the weird folk a disc for money - Sound is working at that point as it is about 7/8 mins into the movie)

Audioboxer
3rd February 2008, 23:18
the latest version of GOTSent supports ff/rw, btw.

hopefully 3r1c can get mkv2vob to do the same.

he already has :/

both mkv2vob and GOTSent use tsmuxer now.

azyd
3rd February 2008, 23:21
well..... the mkv with the ac3 didnt work any better. i used the ac3 the mkv2vob created. so there might be a problem with the high bit rate so im using thrid party software to convert the dts to ac3 and see what happens. im encoding it to 448 hopefully that will fix the problem

rahzel
3rd February 2008, 23:22
he already has :/

both mkv2vob and GOTSent use tsmuxer now.
really? oops, sorry. TBH, i haven't been following this thread lately as i've been busy... must have missed the update.
thanks.

Audioboxer
3rd February 2008, 23:26
well..... the mkv with the ac3 didnt work any better. i used the ac3 the mkv2vob created. so there might be a problem with the high bit rate so im using thrid party software to convert the dts to ac3 and see what happens. im encoding it to 448 hopefully that will fix the problem

Video still skipping/jumping? :(

I hope 3r1c comes on soon to give us some insight into what could be causing this. I hate spending hours remuxing stuff trying different things to epicly fail in the end :P

As for high birate being the issue I'll test that now.... POTC, The Curse of the Black Pearl is a high bitrate 720p movie for me that comes with AC3 5.1 audio - I'll convert it with MKV2VOB and see if it lags/skips.

I think it is a higher bitrate than the Matrix, so if it doesn't lag/skip it must be an issue with DTS audio being converted to AC3 and being packaged with tsmuxer into a VOB file.

I also think the very fact a GOTSent convert of the Matrix doesn't lag proves the bitrate of the movie isn't the issue, it's something to do with DTS audio and they way it is handled in the conversion to AC3.

azyd
3rd February 2008, 23:33
Video still skipping/jumping? :(

I hope 3r1c comes on soon to give us some insight into what could be causing this. I hate spending hours remuxing stuff trying different things to epicly fail in the end :P

yeah...... im useing Rambo.First.Blood.1982.HDDVDRiP.720p.DTS-ES.x264-DEFiNiTiON.mkv. im remuxing the new ac3 i created(448) with the mkv and as soon as its done ill run it through mkv2vob and see whathappens.:confused:

Audioboxer
3rd February 2008, 23:38
yeah...... im useing Rambo.First.Blood.1982.HDDVDRiP.720p.DTS-ES.x264-DEFiNiTiON.mkv. im remuxing the new ac3 i created(448) with the mkv and as soon as its done ill run it through mkv2vob and see whathappens.:confused:

Ok keep us updated. I still think it's going to skip/jump though.

Are you using tsmuxer 1.2.10 with MK2VOB by the way?

MKV2VOB uses 1.2.0 in 1.52 - You have manually update the exe to 1.2.10 in the tools folder that comes with GOTSent.

There has been quite a few fixes from 1.2.0, one which looks like it had something to do with frame skipping.

http://www.smlabs.net/tsMuxer/tsMuxeR_1.2.10.zip

azyd
4th February 2008, 00:10
well it looks like it worked watching Rambo now with no glitches of any kind, so far. im going to try matrix see if i can reproduce the effects.

audio seems a little low...... might have to tweak the gain

Audioboxer
4th February 2008, 01:13
well it looks like it worked watching Rambo now with no glitches of any kind, so far. im going to try matrix see if i can reproduce the effects.

audio seems a little low...... might have to tweak the gain

So what did you do, in "noob" friendly steps? ;)

Thanks

Also does the Matrix work?

Hopefully 3r1c can look into this and see what is causing the glitches with DTS sound in MKV2VOB - At least we know it can work.

jamos
4th February 2008, 02:05
So what did you do, in "noob" friendly steps? ;)

Thanks

Also does the Matrix work?

Hopefully 3r1c can look into this and see what is causing the glitches with DTS sound in MKV2VOB - At least we know it can work.

I have never had issues with dts sources and skipping with mkv2vob. On that matter I do not use mkv2vob recently for dts sources I do the steps manually myself. The only difference between the way I do it and mkv2vob does is first I use the latest version of Tsmuxer and 2nd I use the azidts method of converting dts to ac3. I would suggest everyone replace the older version of tsmuxer.exe and its runtime files with the latest ones in the mkv2vob\tools directory and see if the skipping goes away. Do not just copy the tsmuxer.exe alone.

Also I am assuming it is skipping on your computer as well as you PS3. If it is just skipping on your PS3 and you are streaming it from your computer then it is your network not being able to keep up with the stream. You must copy the video to your PS3 harddrive and play it there for a accurate report for what is happening.

3r1c
4th February 2008, 02:12
V1.5.3 03/Feb/2008
Improved MPEG2 Transcoding, should fix freeze at the start and out of sync.
Updated tsmuxer to latest version

rahzel
4th February 2008, 02:25
thanks for the update 3r1c. :)

Audioboxer
4th February 2008, 02:34
I have never had issues with dts sources and skipping with mkv2vob. On that matter I do not use mkv2vob recently for dts sources I do the steps manually myself. The only difference between the way I do it and mkv2vob does is first I use the latest version of Tsmuxer and 2nd I use the azidts method of converting dts to ac3. I would suggest everyone replace the older version of tsmuxer.exe and its runtime files with the latest ones in the mkv2vob\tools directory and see if the skipping goes away. Do not just copy the tsmuxer.exe alone.

Also I am assuming it is skipping on your computer as well as you PS3. If it is just skipping on your PS3 and you are streaming it from your computer then it is your network not being able to keep up with the stream. You must copy the video to your PS3 harddrive and play it there for a accurate report for what is happening.

and 2nd I use the azidts method of converting dts to ac3

How do I do this? Thanks

And as for streaming, yeah I am, but I've tested it over a wired network (easily fast enough to handle HD content).

It's not skipping like you'd think - Where audio and video jump, it's just the video that jumps/speeds up, audio stays perfect.

Funny thing though, it doesn't skip on the PC, just the PS3.

Lastly I've just watched POTC (AC3 5.1), roughly 7.5-8MBPS and it works perfectly, so it can't be an issue of a high bitrate. It's something to do with the conversion of DTS to AC3 the PS3 doesn't like.

What do you use to convert DTS to AC3 3r1c and is there any other way you can do it in MKV2VOB?

Audioboxer
4th February 2008, 04:03
I've manually converted the DTS audio to AC3 by doing the following,

1) MKVextract used to seperate .DTS and Video
2) Tranzcode 0.4 to seperate DTS to 6 mono channels (WAV)
3) WAV to AC3 Encoder 1.1 to create 6 Channel AC3
4) MKVmerge to create MKV of original video plus newly created AC3 track

I'm now running this new MKV through MKV2VOB.

I tested it before running through MKV2VOB on the PC and audio works fine as AC3 and is in-sync.

I'll report my findings on video/audio playback through the PS3 once MKV2VOB is done.

kazuo
4th February 2008, 04:25

Since 3r1c updated to the latest tsmuxer, I'll try to run one of my DTS movies through it again and check it out. Thanks all!

Audioboxer
4th February 2008, 04:27
Since 3r1c updated to the latest tsmuxer, I'll try to run one of my DTS movies through it again and check it out. Thanks all!

I already manually updated to latest tsmuxer, and it made no difference to the issues experienced with DTS. (mkv2vob 1.5.2 with tsmuxer 1.2.10)

By all means check the new build though, since no doubt 3r1c tweaked with some other stuff.

About to playback my copy of the Matrix which I manually converted DTS to AC3 on... I'll report back in 5.

Audioboxer
4th February 2008, 04:47
FIXED MY DTS ISSUES! :D

I've manually converted the DTS audio to AC3 by doing the following,

1) MKVextract used to seperate .DTS and Video (I used MKVextract GUI)
2) Tranzcode 0.4 to seperate DTS to 6 WAV mono channels (I used TranzGUI)
3) WAV to AC3 Encoder 1.1 to create 6 Channel AC3 (use MuxWizard under file to insert WAVS & then make sure you set the bitrate to 640 on the slider, then hit encode)
4) MKVmerge to create new MKV file of original video plus newly created AC3 track

The VOB file I created of the Matrix plays fine with no graphical speed ups - I've tested it at a part near the beginning that always jumped/sped up previously, and it doesn't anymore.

I now have a 5.1 AC3 VOB that works great :cool:

I'm not sure what you can do 3r1c, I noticed MKV2VOB does a similar thing to what I done myself, it extracts 6 mono WAV files and changes them to AC3... however one of the apps you use must be conflicting somehow with the PS3 - Your DTS MKV to VOB output works fine on the PC, but when played back on the PS3 it has graphical issues - The speed up that's been mentioned.

If anyone has issues with a DTS MKV, use the method above until 3r1c can cook something up - I'm sure there may be other manual methods/easier ways to do it yourself, but my method 100% works.

For the record, I used MKV2VOB 1.5.3 on my created MKV with AC3 audio.

Also to make things a little easier here are the apps I used in one rar - http://www.mediafire.com/?29dclihdiyg (grab mkv2vob from post 1 :P)

(I'll also be testing some other DTS MKVs I've had issues with tomorrow)

rahzel
4th February 2008, 06:27
from my personal experience using GOTSent and MKV2VOB, here are the differences/similarities i noticed.

-both do not transcode video or audio (mkv has the option to, gotsent does not). i have not tried a video that contains DTS, only AC3 640kbps.

-for MKV/AVC w/AC3, both tools use the exact same methods (mkvextract -> h264info -> tsremuxer) however, using the latest versions of the respective tools, GS uses h264info v0.12 and M2V uses v0.13. GS uses tsmuxer v1.2.9 and M2V uses v1.2.10 (is this a newer version?)
regarding h264info, isn't there a newer version available? do the newer versions make incompatible video files?

-M2V muxes to VOB and GS muxes to MPG. i'm guessing GS muxes to MPG possibly because its a more compatible container maybe?

one thing i must comment on, though, is that i found that GS processed my test video in less time than M2V did (3-4m vs 10m). or is it just me?

3r1c
4th February 2008, 07:01
Actually both mkv2vob and gotsent both mux to m2ts.
The only difference is the file extension which doesnt mean much, the ps3 doesnt care about the extension.

chiefj1254
4th February 2008, 07:02
Is there any way (in a future version, of course) to have mkv2vob tell h264info to check the "Write PPS every picture" box when transcoding? From what I've read on converting mkvs for PS3 playback, this helps allow FF/RW in the files that result. Alternatively, is there a way to set default options in h264info so it opens with the box checked each time?

Thanks in advance for any help with this, and thanks for the great utility!

rahzel
4th February 2008, 08:07
Actually both mkv2vob and gotsent both mux to m2ts.
The only difference is the file extension which doesnt mean much, the ps3 doesnt care about the extension.
i was thinking more about the compatibility with computers, for if they want to preview the output. wouldn't some people run into less problems if the extension is MPG rather than VOB? i know most people here wouldn't have an issue, but to the average joe maybe?

oszy
4th February 2008, 09:45
Thanks to 3r1c for this great tool.

I have a question. Why is it so, that the earlier V1.4.1 mkv2vob is making a 4.3 GB vob from my 4.3 GB size mkv files, and the new V1.5.X versions are making a double size 8.6 GB file.
I've tried out Gotsent also, and that one is making a 4.3 GB file working on my PS3.

Sorry for my bad english.

Quatre
4th February 2008, 10:05
They are similar, but do some slightly different things & have slightly different pros & cons.

Also they seem to use different apps in certain places.

With the Matrix the file is smaller with GOTSent but that is because it uses a lower bitrate of AC3.

Anyone know why it outputs to MPG as well when the option says mux to VOB?

3r1c would using .MPG make any difference with MKV2VOB?

ps. It is definitely NOT transcoding either before anyone asks, does the whole process in about 10 mins which is the same amount of time MKV2VOB takes.

Also mediainfo reports "AVC video and AC3 audio", just like it does with an MKV2VOB VOB file.

its still an AVC file the extension doesnt matter. mkv2vob just makes .vob for all but you can change it to .mpg or .m2ts (and pobably other extensions)

i used to change it to .mpg to test on pc cus .vob didn't work but now i think most mkv2vob files wont play right on the pc anyway and you really have to test on teh ps3 since that is the intended player for these files and wha the prog is made for.

As suggested previously by someone I would second the request to have mkv2vob change the file extension depending if it transcodes or not. ie. if it transcodes to mpeg-2 then have it make the extension .mpg

and actually if it just remuxes it , we could stick with .vob but that confused a lot of ppl that heard about the prog that it was changing the hd mkv to a standard def .vob dvd file. maybe .m2ts or mts would be beter as those are the 2 main extensions for an AVC file that I am aware of and that is what it makes if it just remuxes it, an AVC file and what the ps3 detects it as.

but then i guess the prog would have to be called mkv2avc. but tht would be sweet, heh, mkv2avc/mpeg-2 and it either makes a .m2ts or a .mpg file from the .mkv

either way someting diff for the transcode to mpeg-2 then the remux would help if you dont watch what it does then at least by looking at the resulting file you know. though i guess you can just put it in a prog like Super to see if it is mpeg-2 or not and the size iwll usually give it away, plus on ps3 it will say mpeg2 or avc depending on whether mkv2vob had to transcode the fiile or not.

pepperisback
4th February 2008, 14:41
My question is:
Could there be in the future a solution to watch 1080P files without transcoding to mpeg2 because it tooks a very long time to transcode these files and they are also very large.

tiagodm
4th February 2008, 14:50
hi 3r1c. I was wondering if there is *any* application to mux subtitles into the vob file. I searched (googled) every subject about it but I can't find a way that does it without transcoding files (and keeping 720p). That would be a "must have" for many many people. If you find something could you post it here?

Thankx in advance,

Tiago

Franke73
4th February 2008, 15:02
First of all i want to take my hat of to 3r1c for making this app. thats so useful to so many of us. Thanks!!!

Then i would like to join tiagodm in the hunt for the subtitle-tracks-mux into the produced vob.

Numer0bis
4th February 2008, 15:03
nah i don't think subtitles are a must have what really was a must have: seeking support and it was added, thank god. I thought it was not possible but it seems I was wrong :-)

estebanzia
4th February 2008, 16:55
First of all i want to take my hat of to 3r1c for making this app. thats so useful to so many of us. Thanks!!!

Then i would like to join tiagodm in the hunt for the subtitle-tracks-mux into the produced vob.
Totally agree!Most mkv videos have subtitles tracks and having them(and why not multiple audio tracks?) in the produced vob would make this app absolutely perfect!

jamos
4th February 2008, 19:30
My question is:
Could there be in the future a solution to watch 1080P files without transcoding to mpeg2 because it tooks a very long time to transcode these files and they are also very large.

I highly doubt it as the ps3 only supports 4 frames/ref. so until the PS3 firmware can support this we will have to reencode.

jamos
4th February 2008, 19:39
Totally agree!Most mkv videos have subtitles tracks and having them(and why not multiple audio tracks?) in the produced vob would make this app absolutely perfect!

unless you force the subtitle you cannot have one. By force I mean it is on all the time and then you would have to reencode to do this. The PS3 does not support subtitle selection or multiple audio tracks in video files. Please guys stop asking for things that the PS3 cannot do I see some 10 posts on this.

jamos
4th February 2008, 19:55
hi 3r1c. I was wondering if there is *any* application to mux subtitles into the vob file. I searched (googled) every subject about it but I can't find a way that does it without transcoding files (and keeping 720p). That would be a "must have" for many many people. If you find something could you post it here?

Thankx in advance,

Tiago

to force subtitles you would have to transcode. you can mux subtitles into a m2ts file but then you would have to burn a AVCHD disk and they do not play so well on the ps3 from my testing.

jamos
4th February 2008, 20:03
from my personal experience using GOTSent and MKV2VOB, here are the differences/similarities i noticed.

-both do not transcode video or audio (mkv has the option to, gotsent does not). i have not tried a video that contains DTS, only AC3 640kbps.

-for MKV/AVC w/AC3, both tools use the exact same methods (mkvextract -> h264info -> tsremuxer) however, using the latest versions of the respective tools, GS uses h264info v0.12 and M2V uses v0.13. GS uses tsmuxer v1.2.9 and M2V uses v1.2.10 (is this a newer version?)
regarding h264info, isn't there a newer version available? do the newer versions make incompatible video files?

-M2V muxes to VOB and GS muxes to MPG. i'm guessing GS muxes to MPG possibly because its a more compatible container maybe?

one thing i must comment on, though, is that i found that GS processed my test video in less time than M2V did (3-4m vs 10m). or is it just me?

muxing to vob or mpg is the same and both are just as compatable. newer versions of h264info do not fix anything that mkv2vob needs. not sure why one would be faster than the other.

rahzel
4th February 2008, 22:14
muxing to vob or mpg is the same and both are just as compatable. newer versions of h264info do not fix anything that mkv2vob needs. not sure why one would be faster than the other.
as i said after that particular post, by compatibility, i meant with PC's. most people, especially here, won't have a problem playing VOB files, but MPG is just a more common extension. not everyone with a ps3 is as knowledgeable as the people here at doom9, so some people may not be able to play vob files.

as for speed, i've done a few videos and i don't know why, but GS was definitely faster. the last two steps in particular (h264info -> tsmuxer) seemed to go faster with GS.