PDA

View Full Version : mkv2vob: New App to Remux MKV x264/AC3 which play on PS3

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11

metoo999
4th June 2008, 20:40
Great work on the update. Just re-tried Battlestar 2x06, which on 2.2.3 had previously repaired the AC3 and resulted in black screen on PS3. 2.2.4 still repaired the AC3, but works now.

Sephiroth0000
5th June 2008, 15:14
3r1c,

Great updates on the program and it seems now to be running problem free. I have never really made a request with regards to this program (except for an error log) but anyway to the point....I have noticed that oblivously some files do not need TRANSCODING at all providing they have the AC3 audio and the H264 video but oblivously any other video (VC1, MPEG4-AVC) will require transcoding.... Now this can be very time consuming if you are doing 1080P backups (yes MKV2VOB does 1080P beautifully).... is there anyway at all to make it so VC1 or MPEG 4-AVC would not need transcoding just like H264 or am I dreaming away here lol?.... I mean I have done 1080P backups that need no transcoding in like 1 hour through MKV2VOB and im only running a dual core.

Anyone else out there that would like this feature or is it just me?

stesmi
5th June 2008, 15:41
You're mixing up the terminology a little I think.

MPEG-4 AVC is the MPEG name of the standard. Also known as MPEG-4 Part 10.
H.264 is the ITU-T name of the same standard. Was known as H.26L during development.

So MPEG-4 Part 10 == MPEG-4 AVC (Advanced Video Codec) == H.264 == H.26L.

x264 however is a PROGRAM that creates h264/AVC streams. There are lots of other programs that can make those streams. Added that so there's no mixup.

The reason for this is that h264/AVC has been standardized by both MPEG and ITU-T.

Also the PS3 won't work with all h264 files as the PS3 doesn't support higher than High@4.1 whereas the standard (and many encoders) can do up to High@5.1.

Sephiroth0000
5th June 2008, 15:56
You're mixing up the terminology a little I think.

MPEG-4 AVC is the MPEG name of the standard. Also known as MPEG-4 Part 10.
H.264 is the ITU-T name of the same standard. Was known as H.26L during development.

So MPEG-4 Part 10 == MPEG-4 AVC (Advanced Video Codec) == H.264 == H.26L.

x264 however is a PROGRAM that creates h264/AVC streams. There are lots of other programs that can make those streams. Added that so there's no mixup.

The reason for this is that h264/AVC has been standardized by both MPEG and ITU-T.

Also the PS3 won't work with all h264 files as the PS3 doesn't support higher than High@4.1 whereas the standard (and many encoders) can do up to High@5.1.

I would be lying if I said that did not kinda go over my head lol. Basically I am backing up all the HD DVDs I have and putting them to the PS3 I have (60Gb modded to 200Gb) and just wanted to know if it were possible that mkvs that had VC1, AVC or whatever instead of 264 could not need to be transcoded aswell.....thats all lol. But thankyou for your input though mate I only got lost near the end lol.

stesmi
5th June 2008, 16:19
If you only got lost on the last line you're set :) As long as you know that h264 and AVC are the same. Just like H20 and Water are the same thing. Different name, same stuff. VC-1 is a different codec.

I read that someone said it IS possible to play VC-1 in a VOB container on the PS3 but that was ONE person only and I haven't gotten it verified nor have I tried it myself.

Basically when you encode you don't choose between AVC or h264 since it's the same thing 100% regardless of what it's called.

stesmi
5th June 2008, 16:25
Also, what I meant with "won't work with all files" - it's exactly what it says, when someone encodes something he chooses options and some of those options aren't supported by the PS3. The reason for that is simple - The h264/AVC decoder in the PS3 is built to play BluRay and can do everything BluRay does and probably not anything outside of that. BluRay options are fewer than the full h264/AVC specification though so when someone makes h264/AVC they might choose (on purpose or by accident) an option that the PS3 won't like and then the video needs transcoding.

Sephiroth0000
5th June 2008, 16:38
If you only got lost on the last line you're set :) As long as you know that h264 and AVC are the same. Just like H20 and Water are the same thing. Different name, same stuff. VC-1 is a different codec.

I read that someone said it IS possible to play VC-1 in a VOB container on the PS3 but that was ONE person only and I haven't gotten it verified nor have I tried it myself.

Basically when you encode you don't choose between AVC or h264 since it's the same thing 100% regardless of what it's called.

So could it ever be possible or forseeable for VC1 not needing transcoding in MKV2VOB?

Basically all im doing is ripping the HD DVD, running it through EAC3TO, making a video only mkv (the codec used in the MKV is reflective the codec used in the actual film) and AC3 5.1 audio file and then muxing them together into MKVMerge and then running the file through MKV2VOB

EDIT: Thanks Stemsi for answering all these questions mate...I know im probably doing your brain in now lol.

stesmi
5th June 2008, 17:05
If testing shows that the PS3 does indeed play VC-1 without transcoding then I'm sure that'll be added to mkv2vob but don't hold your breath.

Regarding the questions : no problems with asking or re-asking, I answer what I know and it's very very common that people don't know that AVC and h264 are the same and many even think that x264 is a codec on it's own, or to quote someone : "h264, AVC and x264 are very similar but not identical". x264 is a PROGRAM, h264 and AVC are different names of the same standard and therefor identical. And I'm sorry if I come across as "pushy" or something with my answers, that's not at all my intention :).

Sephiroth0000
5th June 2008, 17:15
If testing shows that the PS3 does indeed play VC-1 without transcoding then I'm sure that'll be added to mkv2vob but don't hold your breath.

Regarding the questions : no problems with asking or re-asking, I answer what I know and it's very very common that people don't know that AVC and h264 are the same and many even think that x264 is a codec on it's own, or to quote someone : "h264, AVC and x264 are very similar but not identical". x264 is a PROGRAM, h264 and AVC are different names of the same standard and therefor identical. And I'm sorry if I come across as "pushy" or something with my answers, that's not at all my intention :).

Nope you don't come across as pushy brother. I had questions and they were answered so cheers man :)

naj
5th June 2008, 20:41
Isn't VC-1 just a different implementation (encoding wise) of H264? I mean, from the specifications, any H264 decoder must be able to decode VC-1 aswell, so, aren't they the same, but encoded with different tools?

Anyway, I know PS3 is able to decode 1080p VC-1 nativelly, at least with the latest firmware. I've tested it myself. The file had .wmv extension. Just don't know why it didn't recognised the audio part on PS3, it was playable in my PC and recognised as DD 2 channel.

naj
5th June 2008, 20:45
Actually, nevermind some of what I have written before, here is a comparison between H264 and VC-1:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_H.264_and_VC-1

3r1c
5th June 2008, 20:45
VC1 and H264 are completely different.
I have never seen VC1 in a mkv file, so its not supported my mkv2vob.

DJ_Phatic
5th June 2008, 21:49
Does mkv2vob do something to the colorspace? I have noticed when playing back on the PC that the original mkv's are fine i.e. black is black, not grey. Whereas output from mkv2vob of the same video the blacks are grey, this is both transcoded and non-transcoded.

3r1c
5th June 2008, 21:52
No it does not change the colors.
The fact that it looks different on non-transcoded definately proves its your playback software that is the problem.
The mkv2vob output is meant to be played on the ps3 only, i do not test with software players.

_leech_
5th June 2008, 22:37
Any update on the MPEG2 transcoding issue I mentioned a few pages back?

http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?p=1138763&postcount=2144
http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?p=1139424&postcount=2148

stesmi
5th June 2008, 23:43
Isn't VC-1 just a different implementation (encoding wise) of H264? I mean, from the specifications, any H264 decoder must be able to decode VC-1 aswell, so, aren't they the same, but encoded with different tools?

Anyway, I know PS3 is able to decode 1080p VC-1 nativelly, at least with the latest firmware. I've tested it myself. The file had .wmv extension. Just don't know why it didn't recognised the audio part on PS3, it was playable in my PC and recognised as DD 2 channel.

H.264 / AVC is the same, VC-1 is a Microsoft codec, hence the WMV format. They're definately not the same.

And of course the PS3 can decode VC-1 natively. VC-1, AVC/H.264 and MPEG-2 are the video standards that a BluRay may use (same as HD-DVD).

x400
6th June 2008, 03:09
loving this still

but ive got this 1 mkv file regardless of what container i put it in... it just wont play on my ps3... it'll be a blank screen when i tell it to play.. the thumbnail pic will show the file playing but it wont :/

at first i had thought it was because i burnt the file onto a udf2.5/2.6 disc so i tried copying it straight to the ps3 through a webserver but it wont play

i tried streaming the video file and it wont play either...????

it'll play on my computer but thats it....

the original file is a mkv x264 with dts audio and subtitles are needed... mkv2vob transcoded the file (had the subs hardcoded onto it) switched the dts file.. everything was done properly :/

mmace
6th June 2008, 09:23
any chance you could release the source for this so someone could alter it to add borders to force the resolutions to 720 or 1080 making the video file Blu-ray legal?

it's still the only thing missing in my book, if a file has to be converted then it may as well be converted to 1920x1080 or 1280x720!

params7
6th June 2008, 18:16
I have a question. The MKV's I convert already have inbuilt Subs in them. However, outputted from mkv2vob on my ps3, I can not view the subs.

What should I do to be able to have subs as an option in movies?

thanks.

metoo999
6th June 2008, 18:49
How much quality is lost when you transcode a 1080p file? Does it just lower the profile to 4.1?

Too bad about VC-1 WMVs. I just tried a 1080p 5.1 sound file and it played beautifully, but no sound. Apparently the PS3 doesn't support WMV Pro or 5.1 sound on those files. Oh well. It would be nice not to have to transcode/remux everything.

stesmi
6th June 2008, 21:15
I have a question. The MKV's I convert already have inbuilt Subs in them. However, outputted from mkv2vob on my ps3, I can not view the subs.

What should I do to be able to have subs as an option in movies?

thanks.

To have the OPTION to enable subs in movies I don't think there's a way but if you want them encoded onto the video you can use the "Always Encode Subtitles" option and it'll encode it from the mkv.

How much quality is lost when you transcode a 1080p file? Does it just lower the profile to 4.1?

Basically yes, that's what it does and not much quality (maybe not even noticable) should be lost. It just changes the flags in the frames. The difference between Profile 4.1 and Profile 5.1 (High@4.1 vs High@5.1) is the bitrate allowed in a frame and average in a bitstream. Most streams fall within that category regardless of being encoded with 4.1 or 5.1 selected.

It's not ONLY 4.1 vs 5.1 that's the issue though as there are a few other options that are allowed in H.264 and not allowed in the BluRay supported H.264, for example B-Frames can only be 3 or less where as H.264 has way higher limits, etc.

Too bad about VC-1 WMVs. I just tried a 1080p 5.1 sound file and it played beautifully, but no sound. Apparently the PS3 doesn't support WMV Pro or 5.1 sound on those files. Oh well. It would be nice not to have to transcode/remux everything.

Yup, I agree, but the support for H.264 at all is just by pure luck - it's undocumented and just happens to work. We're happy by what we get and hope more comes.

Sephiroth0000
7th June 2008, 10:40
any chance you could release the source for this so someone could alter it to add borders to force the resolutions to 720 or 1080 making the video file Blu-ray legal?

it's still the only thing missing in my book, if a file has to be converted then it may as well be converted to 1920x1080 or 1280x720!

If you are ripping the source yourself then it should already be 1920x1080 (all I ever use). If you wish for 1280x720 im very sure that MKVmerge has an option to allow you to change it (do not quote me on that though as I only do 1080P)

plantunes
7th June 2008, 11:55
I just would like to suggest that it would be great in a newer version of MKV2VOB to have the possibility to minimize the program into the tray...just as we can do with several other programs, such as e-mule or utorrent...

azyd
7th June 2008, 16:25
Yup, I agree, but the support for H.264 at all is just by pure luck - it's undocumented and just happens to work. We're happy by what we get and hope more comes

Types of files that can be played

The following types of files can be played under (Video).

Memory Stick Video Format
- MPEG-4 SP (AAC LC)
- H.264/MPEG-4 AVC Main Profile (AAC LC)
MP4 file format
- H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile (AAC LC)
MPEG-1 (MPEG Audio Layer 2)
MPEG-2 PS (MPEG2 Audio Layer 2, AAC LC, AC3(Dolby Digital), LPCM)
MPEG-2 TS (MPEG2 Audio Layer 2)
AVI
- Motion JPEG (Linear PCM)
- Motion JPEG (μ-Law)
AVCHD (.m2ts / .mts)
DivX
WMV
- VC-1(WMA Standard V2)

as you can see H.264 is not by luck.

dont know if i can add a direct link or not but here is the source of the info.

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/video/filetypes.html

stesmi
7th June 2008, 19:50
Types of files that can be played

The following types of files can be played under (Video).

MP4 file format
- H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile (AAC LC)

as you can see H.264 is not by luck.

Apples and oranges though, nowhere in there does it say H.264 in a VOB or MPG container, which is what we're doing, so maybe poor wording on my behalf but since we're discussing mkv2vob I meant "in a vob container".

The "problem" is that if you want to use anything but AAC sound you have to use the undocumented "H.264 in a VOB container" which is what we're using.

What you quoted has it in an MP4 file format, as in MP4 container/MPEG-4 Part 1, .mp4, which is the official container format for H.264/AVC video and AAC/MPEG-4 AAC/MPEG-4 Part 3 is the sound format of choice there, AC3 is not supported.

And before anyone comments, yes m2ts container is also supported for AVCHD, but AVCHD is just a subset of the full AVC standard and what mkv2vob can convert can do lots more than AVCHD supports.

naj
8th June 2008, 12:25
Just out of curiosity, what can't AVCHD do?

stesmi
8th June 2008, 16:35
http://www.avchd-info.org/format/index.html

Less resolutions, lower bitrates, etc. Max 24mbit/s streams for instance.

mmace
10th June 2008, 12:57
If you are ripping the source yourself then it should already be 1920x1080 (all I ever use). If you wish for 1280x720 im very sure that MKVmerge has an option to allow you to change it (do not quote me on that though as I only do 1080P)if I was ripping the source myself I wouldn't need MKV2VOB as I'd have a ts or m2ts file that would work on the PS3 without converting to mkv

Sephiroth0000
10th June 2008, 16:09
if I was ripping the source myself I wouldn't need MKV2VOB as I'd have a ts or m2ts file that would work on the PS3 without converting to mkv

Thats if you are doing BR....I was referring to HD DVD.

God Radio
10th June 2008, 17:43
My question is I ripped an HD DVD and created an mkv but the problem is it has both an dts audio and an ac3 5.1 audio tracks.

How do I tell mkvtovob to select the dts file and ignore my ac3 5.1 file?

I want to stay away from re-ripping as i am used to just dragging and dropping and for some reason I am unable to get just why nero selects both audio tracks from the disc and mkvmerge selects both audio tracks?

Please can we just have a function where we can select what audio track we want to keep( when using mkvtovob) as I know that the dts audio track is good but the second track on my disc is kind of iffy as far as audio quality even if its in ac3 5.1

So I want to use the primary dts audio track from my hd dvd disc so that mkvtovob will make a ps3 compliant file.

Every time I ripp I either forget how to set the audio track thingy and either get no sound or I get several audio tracks so please can you consider this feature in mkvtovob so that we can select the dts audio and tell it to ignore any other audio track?

Thank you.

Atak_Snajpera
10th June 2008, 17:54
My question is I ripped an HD DVD and created an mkv but the problem is it has both an dts audio and an ac3 5.1 audio tracks.
Wouldn't be easier to encode directly to Blu-Ray structure???

deerhunter555
10th June 2008, 19:13
First of all, I really like your program 3r1c. It works great for me.

I'd like to join the discussion about vc-1, I do not mind recoding, so why not add an option to mkv2vob to recode also WMV files to VOB/MPG.

I tested it myself with your mencoder parameters for x.264 and used mencoder to convert WMA 5.1 to AC3. Just muxed the H264+AC3, works fine.

Secondly, would you mind to change the "delete source directory after conversion" to "delete source file after conversion", so I can use this feature without deleting the whole directory but just the "correctly" converted source files?

Thnkx for all your effort in helping us enjoy HD content on our PS3

vercetti
10th June 2008, 21:07
i can't convert two files using your program.. The error is related to the extraction or conversion of the dts audio to 2.1....

the files info are in here. http://thoranime.5gbfree.com/dbz.htm

thank you for your great work :)

BippyM
11th June 2008, 14:47
Hi

I'd like to say I love this program and I have successfully remuxed a couple of films, but the last 2-3 I have tried have failed!

One fails and says muxing failed, not sure why!

Others say they are successful but I only end up with 1gb (original is 8gb).

Any ideas?

1ellis2345
11th June 2008, 16:03
Hi,

Great program! But i'm having the same problem as BippyM.

I've converted quite a few films using this great program and all have worked fine. But the last couple are failing at the very end of the process. Even a film i know works fine with mkv2vob (i converted it put it on disc, then lost it lol) now fails!

Can anyone help?

atzplzw
12th June 2008, 02:10
I always get a Muxing Failed error with all the mkv's I tried.
How can I find out what the problem is?

I could provide filenames via private message if necessary!

God Radio
12th June 2008, 04:48
Wouldn't be easier to encode directly to Blu-Ray structure???

I tried my file in mkv2vob and it gives me an unsupported audio message?

Then I tried the TSmuxer app. and I had the option windows of video and audio dts and audio ac3 5.1.

My problem was solved by selecting the remove option for the DTs audio track.

Then I kept the video and ac3 audio from my original HD DVD folder.

I selected mux to mt2ts (BDAV? whats that?) and five minutes later I had a playable movie file for my PS3 and my HD DVD discs can stay inside the cases.

So problem solved but I hope that mkvtovob will sooner or later have these options also as TSmuxer solved my problem.

My fav. programs so far are mkvtovob and tsmuxer.

Anywho its getting harder and harder to justify my use of Nero 7 as it takes sixty bucks for purchase and once purchased its 24 hours per movie file.(and I am not spending more money to "upgrade"?......bah! to Nero 8).

Versus either mkvtovob or tsmuxer and a few minutes for a playable movie file for the PS3.

Yep.......geez am I stupid but I am very slowly learning the buzz words of MKVtoVOB, TSmuxer, DVDShrink, etc.

Well thanks for reading this.

tin01
12th June 2008, 19:45
Hello , first i have to thank you for this handy piece of software. now to my question(s)

- How do i cut the re-encoded file ? What software do i have to use ?
- What is the difference btw all the encoding options ( quality and size ) ?

Thank you

tin

stesmi
12th June 2008, 20:15
Cut: You can do that in MKV2VOB.
Differences: H.264 : best quality, smallest size. XviD: Medium/medium. MPEG-2: Lowest Quality, largest size.

God Radio
13th June 2008, 04:01
Hello , first i have to thank you for this handy piece of software. now to my question(s)

- How do i cut the re-encoded file ? What software do i have to use ?
- What is the difference btw all the encoding options ( quality and size ) ?

Thank you

tin

Its best to select automatic as the transcoding option as mkvtovob just changes the AUDIO from DTS to AC3 5.1 and the video is not modified.

The container extension that always works for me is mt2ts

Memory stick 4GB

Transcode selection automatic.

I get a working and wonderfull ps3 ready video/audio movie file every, single time.

If you get the rare file that does need transcoding:
I pick either xvid or X264

Example:
An movie file with one video track and one audio track DTS with size at 4.36 GB.

You get one file at 4GB and a second file about 400MB to 600MB.

I load the first file onto my 4Gb mem stick and copy to PS3 hard drive then I make space on my mem stick for the second part of the movie file and I also copy to PS3 hard drive.

Press play and enjoy.

Hope this helps?

tin01
13th June 2008, 04:57
Thank you for all the answers. I want to cut the transcoded vob to get it on 1 DVDR ( beginning + end credits )... What app do i use ?

H.264 : best quality, smallest size - interesting. will give a try.

Tin

God Radio
13th June 2008, 05:37
Thank you for all the answers. I want to cut the transcoded vob to get it on 1 DVDR ( beginning + end credits )... What app do i use ?

H.264 : best quality, smallest size - interesting. will give a try.

Tin

Freeware: TSmuxer.

Example:
MT2ts movie file 7GB

Feed the 7GB file into TSmuxer and either select cut tab and select start and end times or select the split tab and select split every:

3500 and in the size window select MB

This gives you two files at 3500 MB.

Second example

A movie file is 4.6 GB and you have a dvd r (dvd 5) 4.3 GB and a CD disc (700 MB)

Select in the TSmuxer split tab split every 4200 and in the second window select MB.

This gives you a 4200 MB MT2ts movie file for dvd-r and a second part at more or less 200 MB or so MT2ts movie file perfect for a CD disc.

Third example:

You want to fit a 4.5 GB MT2ts movie on a 4.3 GB dvd-5 disc.

Load the 4.5 GB movie and select start point (say seventy seconds from start) to cut the start credits and then select and end time that cuts six minutes or so from the movie and you get a MT2ts movie from TSmuxer that fits on a single dvd-r.

Hope this helps?

azyd
13th June 2008, 13:07
Freeware: TSmuxer.

Example:
MT2ts movie file 7GB

Feed the 7GB file into TSmuxer and either select cut tab and select start and end times or select the split tab and select split every:

3500 and in the size window select MB

This gives you two files at 3500 MB.

Second example

A movie file is 4.6 GB and you have a dvd r (dvd 5) 4.3 GB and a CD disc (700 MB)

Select in the TSmuxer split tab split every 4200 and in the second window select MB.

This gives you a 4200 MB MT2ts movie file for dvd-r and a second part at more or less 200 MB or so MT2ts movie file perfect for a CD disc.

Third example:

You want to fit a 4.5 GB MT2ts movie on a 4.3 GB dvd-5 disc.

Load the 4.5 GB movie and select start point (say seventy seconds from start) to cut the start credits and then select and end time that cuts six minutes or so from the movie and you get a MT2ts movie from TSmuxer that fits on a single dvd-r.

Hope this helps?

for some one whos actually done this in tsmuxer i can tell you that it wont work, it just wont. im not going to explain why take to mutch typing.

but i will tell you how to cut the file....

this is all done with a file that been through mkv2vob

1. use tsremuxer to extact the audio and video.
2. use mkvmerge to re-create an mkv from the 2 streams make sure you set the fps and the aspect ratio for your video
3. take the mkv that just got muxed and drop it in to tsmuxer and cut where ever you want

anothadave
13th June 2008, 19:42
would be nice to be able carry on after an "insufficent disk space" error. mkv2vob spent 45mins extracting the mkv and converting the dts audio then decided there wasnt enough disk space. so ive deleted some stuff but now its got to go through the whole 45mins again. im sure the extracted mkv could of been kept in the temp directory and carried on the process after i made some room. or possibly give an estimate of required space before it starts doing something.
great program, must be one of the best apps for the ps3 around :) done around 40 mkvs now, had trouble with about 4 but the latest update sorted out 3 of them.

God Radio
14th June 2008, 06:06
for some one whos actually done this in tsmuxer i can tell you that it wont work, it just wont. im not going to explain why take to mutch typing.

but i will tell you how to cut the file....

this is all done with a file that been through mkv2vob

1. use tsremuxer to extact the audio and video.
2. use mkvmerge to re-create an mkv from the 2 streams make sure you set the fps and the aspect ratio for your video
3. take the mkv that just got muxed and drop it in to tsmuxer and cut where ever you want

Too many steps since you allready have an MT2ts file thats PS3 compatible at 720p and even if its a simple .ts folder if its at 720p and has at least one ac3 track then its just select MT2ts output and select either the time to be cut at or split at selected file size.

Thats strange since I recoded with Nero 7 in Nerovision 4 make an AVCHD( since the PS3 only likes 720p when its on the hard drive) and I got a 7.5 GB MT2ts file with AC3 5.1 audio. (and dumb me forgot to de-select the dts audio track.......geez color me real dumb.)

I loaded it into the latest version of TSmuxer and it split the file into two parts(close to just under the 4 GB limit per file) and both of these parts got loaded on my PS3 hard drive and they both do FF,REW, pause and play and I get Dolby Digital out via optical.

And on listening tests all of my speakers are working: l, r, c, sr, sl, subwoofer.

I made it into a 720p version but I forgot to remove the DTS track.

And only by removing the DTS audio track (yes I forgot to remove it in Nerovision) and keeping the video track and ac3 audio does it work.

I used the TSmuxer to split the file since it drives me nuts to keep changing discs in and out of the PS3 drive or the HD DVD drive on the lower shelf.

It worked for my discs of 300, transformers, T2, Beowulf, Cars, Swordfish, Rush Hour 3 (hey folks the HD DVD was four bucks still sealed in its case so bazing it got purchased),

What can I say since it works for me and hey the wife is Happy that the Heroes season one(HD DVD) is on the PS3 hard drive as the originals are safe and secure in the cases.

JayDK
14th June 2008, 08:52
I seem to have found a problem with the sound conversion in MKV2VOB.

I converted Hitman the other day with a DTS Core 1.5mbps soundtrack. The option "boost DTS volume" was checked.

The resulting file worked fine on the PS3 - but sometimes the voices got distorted, scambled and the sound lost detail. As I had a WMV copy on my xbox which had perfect sound I did not understand this.

I tried converting the DTS core soundtrack to ac3 myself with eac3to (why doesn't mkv2vob use this - it is so fast and does it in 1 go!). The ac3 file played perfect but was a little lower in volume. So turned it up a bit on the amp.

Now i knew there was a problem in mkv2vob. I tried unkchecking the "Boost DTS volume" and that resulted in the same fine quality as with eac3to - but also i little lower.

What wonders me is - that the first "bad distorted ac3 file" and the other ac3 file - are identical size! So it must have some "gain parameter" in the file which makes it sound distorted.

@3r1c - Are you aware of this problem - and is there a way to revert a ac3 file that has been distorted by this "boost dts volume option"? :confused:

Had the same problem with Semi-Pro - also with DTS core 1.5mbps soundtrack

odedia
14th June 2008, 11:21
Just wanted to add to the discussion - I tried converting "The Italian Job" and the voice gradually gets out of sync. MKV2VOB only did remuxing, no transcoding. Boost DTS/AC3 was checked.

Thanks again for the excellent program.

1ellis2345
16th June 2008, 10:16
Hi,

I'm still having the same problem "muxing failed" at 100%

Its getting a little anoying now cause i know the program worked fine and its now taking 12 hours just to end with "muxing failed"

Can anyone please help or suggest another way of doing my films?

Thanks.

Sephiroth0000
16th June 2008, 12:28
Anyone,

I have a 21Gb 1080P HD file that I am copying over via wired LAN to the PS3 and it keeps on failing at 40%. I have played the file via PC and it works beautifully.....any suggestions? I am streaming it over via Windows Media Player 11 (with MP4 registry add on so it can see the MP4 file)

azyd
16th June 2008, 13:33
Anyone,

I have a 21Gb 1080P HD file that I am copying over via wired LAN to the PS3 and it keeps on failing at 40%. I have played the file via PC and it works beautifully.....any suggestions? I am streaming it over via Windows Media Player 11 (with MP4 registry add on so it can see the MP4 file)

use tversity. thats what i use to copy all my extra large 1080p files, and its free www.tversity.com

picchio_75
16th June 2008, 15:10
hi to all :)
I'have a problem with jhon Rambo 720p the mkv 1280*528 25 fps avc 4.1 5ref and sound ac3 448 kbps 48 khz is goog (perfect syncronize). After conversion sound is not syncronize. The asyncronize increase during the film. (start film is syncronize but after 1 hour is not syncronize)
Anyone can help me ?
Thankyou

anothadave
16th June 2008, 19:27
Hi,

I'm still having the same problem "muxing failed" at 100%

Its getting a little anoying now cause i know the program worked fine and its now taking 12 hours just to end with "muxing failed"

Can anyone please help or suggest another way of doing my films?

Thanks.

yeh i got this too. spent 8hrs doing Cloverfield 1080p and finished with muxing failed :(

Selur
19th June 2008, 07:53
@3r1c: got a question is:
I have created a program which will remux mkv with x264 video and AC3 audio to a vob file which is playable on the sony ps3.
No transcoding/recompression is done, the streams are simply split and mux into the vob.
Previously there was no way to get AC3 audio on the ps3, only AAC stereo. still true? If not could you update the start post accordingly? (seeing the options "Transcoding Codec" with Xvid/x264/MPEG2 I suspect it does not only just remux anymore)

thebulldan
19th June 2008, 17:14
@3r1c: First of all thanks for such as perfectly bundled piece of goodness. Though I have some working knowledge of the components to achieve what you have - making this a one-click solution for my needs is beautiful!!!

Second - I think that the AAC 5.1 to AC3 - BeSweet Crashed issue is fixed in the newest release - but just making sure.

strang
20th June 2008, 05:51
Question: How would I remux my .mpg files into .mkv again? Or into a .mp4 container that Xbox 360 would play?

Sephiroth0000
20th June 2008, 10:21
use tversity. thats what i use to copy all my extra large 1080p files, and its free www.tversity.com

Cannot get Tversity to work at all im afraid. I have checked my router, turned off WMP11 sharing, made sure it passes via the firewall, restarted it and everything else in between and *%$£ all works.....argh!

anothadave
20th June 2008, 17:11
just wondered what settings mencoder uses in mkv2vob for x264? ive got an mkv which is slighty too big for a dvd9, when mkv2vob reencodes it still comes out too big so i was goin to manually reencode the video using meencoder. i can guess the bitrate by checking the source file and then reducing it by about 10% its just the other stuff like the reference frames etc. from what i gather the ps3 prefers 3 reference frames?

actually a handy feature would be to select the transcode bitrate in mkv2vob ourselves. set it the same as the source as standard but just have a box or something where we can specify the bitrate incase we need to reduce the filesize to fit onto a dvd5 or dvd9

azyd
21st June 2008, 16:55
Cannot get Tversity to work at all im afraid. I have checked my router, turned off WMP11 sharing, made sure it passes via the firewall, restarted it and everything else in between and *%$£ all works.....argh!

do what i do..... should have been more extact, i just connect my pc to my ps3 directly. i have a 100 foot network cable and i also have a gigabit network card on my pc so the transfer is pretty fast.

dorati
22nd June 2008, 20:47
Is there a change / setting, that the PS3 plays the HD-Content with 24p? I only get 24p when using a Orginal Blu-ray Disk.

djhazardous
23rd June 2008, 01:42
Aren't out of sync issues to do with the audio codecs on your computer? I didn't think it was anything to do with the program...

gsx95
23rd June 2008, 01:50
Is there any way to use this program for files that have Dolby Digital Plus audio? It doesn't seem to be supported, is there a way to convert the audio to an acceptable format? Thanks.

Sephiroth0000
23rd June 2008, 13:29
do what i do..... should have been more extact, i just connect my pc to my ps3 directly. i have a 100 foot network cable and i also have a gigabit network card on my pc so the transfer is pretty fast.

I did end up reworking it out after I calmed down. It put a 21Gb MP4 1080P on the PS3 in like 15/20 minutes....I was proper impressed. Thanks for advising it man.

x400
24th June 2008, 07:39
so i have an mkv which did not need transcoding according to mkv2vob and after it went into remuxing the file wont play on my ps3 its just black

when i loaded the original mkv into virtualdub(mod maybe) it informed me that the file has B Frames.. would this be the problem?

PhoeniXYZ
24th June 2008, 13:00
First I want to thank you for this great piece of software!
But I got two questions: Isn't it possible for the PS3 to playback DTS as a bitstream if you mux x264 and 5.1 DTS into the file?
And is it planned to be able to mux/decode (perhaps to AC3 2.0) mp3 into a vob/mpg for playback on the PS3?

sonyguy711
26th June 2008, 10:48
Hi, first of all, great program 3r1c! I can finally be able to view my mkv files on my ps3.

The only issue is that the original mkv videos are in 2:35.1 ratio and after making it to mp4 (VOB didn't work for me), the video is stretched out of proportion with no black bars on top and bottom. I noticed the problem to be in the video encoding setting. I use the recommended setting of "automatic".

I've tried changing it to "always" and the video ratio came out right, but my ps3 will not recognize it. I would greatly appreciate it if someone could provide some light to this issue.

juuser
27th June 2008, 00:18
I have also gotten Unsupported Audio Codec errors. I've solved those by converting mp3 track to ac3. Why isn't mkv2vob handling mp3 tracks? Also, how should subtitles work? I've enabled every possible setting regarding subtitles in mkv2vob, but PS3 still doesn't show me any, nor can I select subtitles by pressing select when movie is playing. Of course .srt files are in the same folder with same name as mkv itself.

If wmv transcoding is going to be enabled, then why not enable xvid/divx also? For the moment if I have some non-playing xvid/divx, I've muxed it into mkv and then used mkv2vob to make it playable. I'm searching for better solution and this is mainly due to these subtitles problems. For xvid/divx movies, which play fine ps3, i'm adding subtitles with AVIAddXSub, which works like a charm and no encoding is needed :)

Anyway, thank you for this great program!

DWells55
27th June 2008, 06:28
Getting crashes still when converting DTS to AC3.

Horo
28th June 2008, 18:59
i can't get it to transcode a video with subs, i dled Sword of the Stranger i used mkvextract and took out the all 3 files then use subtitle workshop and saved sub as srt and i use mkvmerge and put them all together then went to mkv2vob and checked Always encode subtitles, Load subtitles from srt, and Large subtitle, but when it finish transcoding i got no subs... did i do something wrong?

azyd
28th June 2008, 23:38
i can't get it to transcode a video with subs, i dled Sword of the Stranger i used mkvextract and took out the all 3 files then use subtitle workshop and saved sub as srt and i use mkvmerge and put them all together then went to mkv2vob and checked Always encode subtitles, Load subtitles from srt, and Large subtitle, but when it finish transcoding i got no subs... did i do something wrong?

best thing to do for sword of a stranger is let it encode it with out the subs, then extract the subs and convert them to *.srt then you can use tsmuxer to make a BD5. now you have the movie and the subs and its in a Blu-Ray:sly:

Horo
29th June 2008, 21:36
azyd im not really sure how to use tsmuxer but from just looking i just added the subs and i tried to mux file int m2ts and i got buffer overflowing error i can't seem to get it to mux

Ionio-Zante
29th June 2008, 22:16
Hi...
A friend of Mine gave me a film that has been converted with mkv2vob (x264, mpg).
And it has been splitted in to parts also with the mkv2vob file splitting option...
Is there any way that i can join the 2 files make one large file??

THX in Advanse.

clotz2000
30th June 2008, 04:02
Hi...
A friend of Mine gave me a film that has been converted with mkv2vob (x264, mpg).
And it has been splitted in to parts also with the mkv2vob file splitting option...
Is there any way that i can join the 2 files make one large file??

THX in Advanse.

I have an idea, tell your friend to turn off the splitting function. Now that we have that taken care of, there is software that will join VOB files.

Here's a link:
http://www.download.com/Join-VOB-Files-Tool/3000-13631_4-10718007.html

Hope that helps...

Ionio-Zante
30th June 2008, 15:29
There is software that will join VOB files.

Here's a link:
http://www.download.com/Join-VOB-Files-Tool/3000-13631_4-10718007.html

Hope that helps...

Thx... It works perfect... I renamed my "Mpg" files to "Vob".I load to the program and it join them into one large file very quick. Then i renamed again the output "VOB" to original created "MPG"

Horo
4th July 2008, 01:10
i got this dbz movie with dts 2.0 stereo sound in it and mkv2vob gets an error trying to convert it i also tried using besweet with the azidts plugin and i also get an error using that too "DShowErr: FAILED(hr=0x800736b3) in CreateFilter(CLSID_IVAudioDecoder, &pIVIAudio)" ... i have windvd installed anyone give me some help tryin to convert this to ac3 i been trying for 2 days

hdmovie
4th July 2008, 07:35
Dear 3r1c ,
are there any possibility on future relase , we can put parental control level .
thank's
sas

lez
4th July 2008, 13:17
how do i go about splitting a converted file for fat32(should have done it first,but getting low on space)

naj
4th July 2008, 21:22
Horo, have you tried BeHappy?

forumreader
5th July 2008, 03:57
It came up earlier in this thread, but I don't think it was ever answered. Has anyone gotten mkv profile 4.1 encodes through ripbot264 to work with mkv2vob without requiring a transcode in mkv2vob? Is there something in the 4.1 profile configuration that needs to be checked or unchecked?

clotz2000
5th July 2008, 08:14
how do i go about splitting a converted file for fat32(should have done it first,but getting low on space)

Just use the splitting with MKV2VOB and choose regular DVD, 4GB should work fine for FAT32 partitions.

Glorioso
5th July 2008, 09:44
3r1c, is it possible to make a divx compatible file with MKV2VOB so we can use AviAddxsubs to incorporate Divx subtitles? That will be a neat addition!!!!

Yaka
5th July 2008, 15:07
i know this is a windows only app but is there a way to get it to run in linux via WINE 1.0? i am using the latest version of ubuntu when running mkv2vob i get a "Error getting mkv info!" error when i try to convert the file.

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=12825&iTestingId=27959

rendez2k
5th July 2008, 16:41
I've just tested my first to MKVs (using the standard MPEG2 encoding option) and both suffered from very tiny amounts of digital break-up for a few seconds at a time about every 10 mins or so. Any idea what causes this?

lez
5th July 2008, 19:14
Just use the splitting with MKV2VOB and choose regular DVD, 4GB should work fine for FAT32 partitions.
i have already converted the files so they dont show up on the list,if you see what i mean

anothadave
5th July 2008, 20:19
I've just tested my first to MKVs (using the standard MPEG2 encoding option) and both suffered from very tiny amounts of digital break-up for a few seconds at a time about every 10 mins or so. Any idea what causes this?

youll be better off leaving it to the default "x264" setting. mpeg2 is the lowest quality setting.

Horo
5th July 2008, 21:28
Horo, have you tried BeHappy?

nope i ended using dt2wav2ac3

rendez2k
5th July 2008, 21:53
youll be better off leaving it to the default "x264" setting. mpeg2 is the lowest quality setting.

Didn't I read the x264 setting was unstable? Also, doesn't it take a lot longer?

clotz2000
6th July 2008, 03:22
i have already converted the files so they dont show up on the list,if you see what i mean

Gotcha, You can use this software it will split large VOB files into smaller VOB files...

http://www.digital-digest.com/dvd/downloads/showsoftware_vob_splitter_386.html

jeps
6th July 2008, 15:38
I would really like to try this software, but I am unable to get past the message "Error getting mkv info".
I get this message for all the files I have tried.
I have tried the program on both my normal PC (Vista64) and a standard XP, same result.

Has anyone got a suggestion for what to try?

_leech_
6th July 2008, 17:01
Still having quality issues when it comes to MPEG2 transcoding. Just took a 7.94GB MKV and I ended up with a 6.48GB VOB.

anothadave
7th July 2008, 17:28
mpeg2 encoding is the lowest quality. wont look anything as good as the original. stick to the x264 setting. yes it takes ages but the quality will be near enough the same as the source.

metoo999
8th July 2008, 14:10
Just curious about this 1080p video file with AC3 audio - will it transcode in mkv2vob or simply remux? I know mkv2vob usually has to transcode 1080p files...

x264 (High@L4.1) / mkv

I know PS3 does L4.1, I'm just not sure about the high/low/main profile stuff...

Update: worked fine! Thank god, it was a big file.

spida_singh
8th July 2008, 14:38
It should be ok, ive ran a few files which are 1080p ac3 that did not need transcoding, let mkv2vob decide if it needs to or not, sometimes they do.

You can view the profile level using tsmuxer by opening the mkv

johnmerrick
8th July 2008, 21:10
hi,

my add file function isn't working??

i select the file then click add file but nothing happens!!

the add directory function is also only picking up the first file!

only started happening today!?

any ideas?

thanks

h_zee13
9th July 2008, 22:27
Hi, first of all, great program 3r1c! I can finally be able to view my mkv files on my ps3.

The only issue is that the original mkv videos are in 2:35.1 ratio and after making it to mp4 (VOB didn't work for me), the video is stretched out of proportion with no black bars on top and bottom. I noticed the problem to be in the video encoding setting. I use the recommended setting of "automatic".

I've tried changing it to "always" and the video ratio came out right, but my ps3 will not recognize it. I would greatly appreciate it if someone could provide some light to this issue.

I'm actually having the same problem...Is there anyone here who can help us out???

Yaka
12th July 2008, 01:02
i know i have asked this before is anyone having any success trying to run this app thru wine? i am now getting a run time 75 error

CometMan
12th July 2008, 04:21
this program is perfect!!!! simple fast and very complete, i had a headache each time i tried to put subs in the video and send it to ps3, and whit this it couldn`t be easier and whit great quality.

just one question!!!

why can`t we keep DTS sound of the original .mkv? the ac3 is great but can anyone tell why the program always strip the dts

will it have a future option of dts keeping?

best regards i surely will donate some to this program, its well worth :thanks:

Thunder2001
12th July 2008, 08:12
Is not possible to make DTS Sound in an m2ts / vob file. The only way to have DTS is to make a AVCHD. This is a mini Bluray Disc on normaly DVD or DVD DL that must have a video file inside with 1280*720 or 1920*1080 size.

badkclark
14th July 2008, 19:39
Hi,

I've got an mkv file with a VC-1 Video Stream and AC3 Audio.

I'm getting an error when trying to run in mkv2vob, but not a description of what the error is.

is mkv2vob able to transcode the VC-1 streams to H.264?

Here's the Media info for the file:

First video stream
16.1 Mbps, 1920*1080 (16/9), at 23.976 fps, VC-1 (Microsoft)
Fist audio stream
640Kbps, 48.0 KHz, 6 channels, AC-3

Any help would be great. Using latest mkv2vob.

PlazzTT
14th July 2008, 21:16
Thanks a lot for this tool!

It's one of the best around, so simple to use! Great work :)

naj
14th July 2008, 22:10
is mkv2vob able to transcode the VC-1 streams to H.264?Nope.

Sheky31
15th July 2008, 07:02
Ok, I have a lot of anime with vorbis ogg as audio.

So I have two problems

1. Getting mkv2vob to convert ogg

2. Getting subtitles on the file for the PS3.

I tried GotSent and it actually picked up on the ogg file and converted it to AAC beautifully. The problem is that, it doesn't seem to pick up the sub and hard subbing it on that program takes hours for a 20 min show.

What's the most quick and painless way to get mkv with ogg audio to convert and have the PS3 to pick up the subtitles during play back? Will this function ever be included with this program? There's a god awful lot of anime subs out there that could use this.

metoo999
15th July 2008, 15:55
Is not possible to make DTS Sound in an m2ts / vob file. The only way to have DTS is to make a AVCHD. This is a mini Bluray Disc on normaly DVD or DVD DL that must have a video file inside with 1280*720 or 1920*1080 size.

Is this only a format limitation or is it something that can be added in a PS3 firmware update?

ckamc
17th July 2008, 07:29
Ok, I have a lot of anime with vorbis ogg as audio.

So I have two problems

1. Getting mkv2vob to convert ogg

2. Getting subtitles on the file for the PS3.

I tried GotSent and it actually picked up on the ogg file and converted it to AAC beautifully. The problem is that, it doesn't seem to pick up the sub and hard subbing it on that program takes hours for a 20 min show.

What's the most quick and painless way to get mkv with ogg audio to convert and have the PS3 to pick up the subtitles during play back? Will this function ever be included with this program? There's a god awful lot of anime subs out there that could use this.

I use DBpoweramp to convert the audio that I extract using mkvextract, convert it to m4a nero

extract the subtitles in the same program and use subtitle workshop, open subtitle file with app, then go to save as and save it as a SRT format

use mkv merge to get eveything back together and mkv2vob will transcode it correctly.

pretty easy IMO

ckamc
17th July 2008, 07:31
Will there be any support for DTS now that ES and 96/24 format are now supported by 2.41?

also I get a note of a warning message in some of my conversions... where can I read these warning messages?

x400
18th July 2008, 03:46
so i have an mkv which did not need transcoding according to mkv2vob and after it went into remuxing the file wont play on my ps3 its just black

when i loaded the original mkv into virtualdub(mod maybe) it informed me that the file has B Frames.. would this be the problem?

^^ anyone?

metoo999
18th July 2008, 18:02
Will there be any support for DTS now that ES and 96/24 format are now supported by 2.41?

also I get a note of a warning message in some of my conversions... where can I read these warning messages?

I'm guessing this is only for disc-based DTS, not plain video files.

vg132
20th July 2008, 11:11
Thanks for a great tool!
I just have one bug and one question.
Bug 1: If you have a drive mounted to a directory in windows and not a drive letter the disk space left on the drive will be calculated from the space left on the drive letter drive and not from the correct drive. Example (if it's not clear), on c:\ I have 6 GB of free space and I have then mounted a 500gb drive with 200gb of free space to c:\500gb and pointed the temp dir to c:\500gb\temp, the program will only check the free space on c:\ and tell me I have insufficient disk space. Same problem when you point your destination to a mounted drive.

Question 1: Can I run this program from the command line? What parameters are there?

/Viktor

Bunny_Wabbet
21st July 2008, 07:27
hello
First let me say that this is a great software.
secondly I was wondering if you could add an option to define a default directory to add MKVs.

thanks again for a great tool

PlazzTT
23rd July 2008, 15:34
Can this software convert an MKV with DTS audio into an MP4 with AAC audio (for Xbox 360 playback)?

I haven't been able to find a tool that does this yet. I've tried mkv2vob, GOTsent, and MKVBoxer. Should one of these tools be able to do it? I'm having to use foobar2000 to convert the extracted DTS to AAC, but I'd like an automated way to do it.

bmnot
23rd July 2008, 16:21
So I'm converting a few files and am trying to figure out just what mkv2vob is determining in whether to re-encode the file. Both are 720p mkv (ac3 audio, h264 video).

Requires re-encode
Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=8 / deblock=1:-3:-3 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=umh / fpel_cmp=sad / subme=6 / me-prepass=0 / brdo=1 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=0 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=2 / deadzone=21,11 / chroma_qp_offset=0 / threads=4 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / mbaff=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=1 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / wpredb=1 / bime=1 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40(pre) / rc=2pass / bitrate=3340 / ratetol=1.0 / rceq='blurCplx^(1-qComp)' / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ip_ratio=1.40 / pb_ratio=1.30 / aq=1:0.7:15.0

Does not require re-encode
Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=9 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=umh / subme=6 / me-prepass=0 / brdo=1 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=2 / deadzone=4,6 / chroma_qp_offset=0 / threads=6 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / mbaff=0 / bframes=5 / b_pyramid=1 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / wpredb=1 / bime=1 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40(pre) / rc=2pass / bitrate=3536 / ratetol=1.0 / rceq='blurCplx^(1-qComp)' / qcomp=1.00 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ip_ratio=1.40 / pb_ratio=1.30 / aq=1:0.5:13.0

So exactly what encoding settings/thresholds is mkv2vob looking at in deciding whether to require a transcode or not? :thanks:

ancarloro
27th July 2008, 11:03
Can this software convert an MKV with DTS audio into an MP4 with AAC audio (for Xbox 360 playback)?

I haven't been able to find a tool that does this yet. I've tried mkv2vob, GOTsent, and MKVBoxer. Should one of these tools be able to do it? I'm having to use foobar2000 to convert the extracted DTS to AAC, but I'd like an automated way to do it.

i think is not dificult to put an option in that great program to do that xbox360 ppl deserve that to :) . Thank fot great job

clotz2000
27th July 2008, 19:49
So I'm converting a few files and am trying to figure out just what mkv2vob is determining in whether to re-encode the file. Both are 720p mkv (ac3 audio, h264 video).

Requires re-encode
Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=8 / deblock=1:-3:-3 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=umh / fpel_cmp=sad / subme=6 / me-prepass=0 / brdo=1 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=0 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=2 / deadzone=21,11 / chroma_qp_offset=0 / threads=4 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / mbaff=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=1 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / wpredb=1 / bime=1 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40(pre) / rc=2pass / bitrate=3340 / ratetol=1.0 / rceq='blurCplx^(1-qComp)' / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ip_ratio=1.40 / pb_ratio=1.30 / aq=1:0.7:15.0

Does not require re-encode
Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=9 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=umh / subme=6 / me-prepass=0 / brdo=1 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=2 / deadzone=4,6 / chroma_qp_offset=0 / threads=6 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / mbaff=0 / bframes=5 / b_pyramid=1 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / wpredb=1 / bime=1 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40(pre) / rc=2pass / bitrate=3536 / ratetol=1.0 / rceq='blurCplx^(1-qComp)' / qcomp=1.00 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ip_ratio=1.40 / pb_ratio=1.30 / aq=1:0.5:13.0

So exactly what encoding settings/thresholds is mkv2vob looking at in deciding whether to require a transcode or not? :thanks:

From past posts, I think it has to do with the reference blocks being 8. I'm not positive on that but I do remember seeing that posted way back in the thread, although there may also be more to it then that. Anyways, just my thoughts, haven't seen 3r1c on here for ages, I think he's done developing this for now.

eitach
28th July 2008, 00:35
Hello!

I trying to convert file and i getting "Unsupported Audio Codec: MPEG/L3" cuz there is 2 audio language. one of them in MPEG/L3

Johan.
30th July 2008, 20:36
"Could not parse mkv file"

I've been looking through this forum and I can only find questions about it no one seems to have the answer. I have some files that gives this error message. I post the info about one file below here, so can anyone tell if there is a way to get around this problem?

Video #0
Codec : AVC
Codec/Family : AVC
Codec/Info : Intel H.264
Codec profile : High@L5.1
Codec settings, CABAC : Yes
PlayTime : 55mn 38s
Bit rate : 2253 Kbps
Width : 1280 pixels
Height : 720 pixels
Display Aspect ratio : 16/9
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Resolution : 12 bits
Chroma : 4:2:0
Interlacement : Progressive

Audio #0
Codec : AC3
Bit rate mode : CBR
Bit rate : 384 Kbps
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Rear: L R, Subwoofer
Sampling rate : 48 KHz

Edit: Looked at a file that is working and in that file were some extra lines with info:
Writing library : x264 - core 54 svn-600M
Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=8 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=hex / subme=6 / brdo=1 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / chroma_qp_offset=0 / slices=2 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / mbaff=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=1 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / wpredb=1 / bime=1 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40 / rc=2pass / bitrate=2467 / ratetol=1.0 / rceq='blurCplx^(1-qComp)' / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ip_ratio=1.40 / pb_ratio=1.30
Language : English

Could that have something to do with it? And if it has something to do with it are there any programs that can check the file and add this information?

Edit2: I found a solution for it, I just open the files in mkvtoolnix and muxing them again. After that they work fine in mkv2vob.

Sephiroth0000
2nd August 2008, 16:34
"Could not parse mkv file"

I've been looking through this forum and I can only find questions about it no one seems to have the answer. I have some files that gives this error message. I post the info about one file below here, so can anyone tell if there is a way to get around this problem?

Video #0
Codec/Family : AVC
Codec/Info : Intel H.264
Codec profile : High@L5.1
Codec settings, CABAC : Yes
PlayTime : 55mn 38s
Bit rate : 2253 Kbps
Width : 1280 pixels
Height : 720 pixels
Display Aspect ratio : 16/9
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Resolution : 12 bits
Chroma : 4:2:0
Interlacement : Progressive

Audio #0
Bit rate mode : CBR
Bit rate : 384 Kbps
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Rear: L R, Subwoofer
Sampling rate : 48 KHz

Edit: Looked at a file that is working and in that file were some extra lines with info:
Writing library : x264 - core 54 svn-600M
Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=8 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=hex / subme=6 / brdo=1 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / chroma_qp_offset=0 / slices=2 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / mbaff=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=1 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / wpredb=1 / bime=1 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40 / rc=2pass / bitrate=2467 / ratetol=1.0 / rceq='blurCplx^(1-qComp)' / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ip_ratio=1.40 / pb_ratio=1.30
Language : English

Could that have something to do with it? And if it has something to do with it are there any programs that can check the file and add this information?

Edit2: I found a solution for it, I just open the files in mkvtoolnix and muxing them again. After that they work fine in mkv2vob.

You're codec profile may be a problem. Im no master on the subject so do not 100% quote me on this but I have heard of problems with profiles overgoing 4.1. My suggestion to you is to google it and see what you get. Also TSMuxer I believe can lower a profile for you....

smekast
3rd August 2008, 09:59
Hello everybody!

I have a problem with mkv2vob. Ive used this program on a couple of files all have been 720p.bluray.h264.mkv around 4.5 gb large. Then when im using Mkv2vob and have transcoding automatic, format vob, output x264 and so on. no subtitles or something. when mkv2vob is done the output file is around 2gb large. Ive tried it on two different computers but both have the same OS (same version of xp). Can that be the problem?

I can also say that choosing between mpeg2 xvid and h264 dont make any size difference on the output file...

I really need your help!

Greets from Sweden.

:confused:

metoo999
3rd August 2008, 21:55
Not sure if this is a known problem. I have a 1080p file with DTS that I got remuxed and converted to AC3. I set the output files to my external USB drive. Everytime it began, I got a blue crash screen (my system reboots, so I couldn't read the error). I was able to do it by setting the output location to my internal HDD. It's weird because I have set files to save onto my external USB drive before, but maybe not when it had to convert anything (maybe because they were simple 720p AC3 remuxes).

Is the author still working on this program?

georgem67
4th August 2008, 08:55
Which is the best quality Output file extension ( vob, m2ts...etc ) when selecting the x264 transcoding codec?

Thanks

jansb000
4th August 2008, 10:59
With MKV file using a DTS audiotrack, how can I leave the audio in DTS format (without conversion to AC3)?

metoo999
5th August 2008, 00:20
Which is the best quality Output file extension ( vob, m2ts...etc ) when selecting the x264 transcoding codec?

Thanks

They are all the same quality. Those are just containers. Some extensions are more compatible with others on certain streaming programs. I just make them all VOBs because I copy them straight to the PS3 HDD. Some streaming programs like the MPG extension apparently.

Make sure you choose X264 (slow) for the best quality.

metoo999
5th August 2008, 00:30
With MKV file using a DTS audiotrack, how can I leave the audio in DTS format (without conversion to AC3)?

Right now the PS3 doesn't support DTS in HDD video files. The only way (IIRC) right now is to use TSMuxer to author a AVCHD disc image out of the MKV, then burn it to a DVD-R or DVD-R DL. It's difficult because a lot movies are encoded at full DVD-R size already, so authoring a disc image makes them too large for a disc.

I'm guessing it would have to be enabled in a firmware update and this feature would not be high on Sony's list because of the implications. They'd rather you buy/rent their own movies on the PSN.

I think the only reason AVCHD was even supported was because certain video cameras use that format. Even then they most likely wouldn't ever support DTS.

Sorry for the long answer. :)

rolanocalhau
5th August 2008, 23:17
Hello 3r1c!
What a great app you made. Congratulations.
I'm already using it for some time and been very usefull.
I have the last version v2.2.4 and the last file I tried to convert gave me the following error:
"The function SetMode was called on a stream[?] that hasn't been previously initialized with SetSource."
I found it very strange because I didn't know your program would use VirtualDub.
After I close this dialogue box the status shows complete but the file is missing - and nothing was done in spite it took more than 1 hour.
The file I'm trying to convert is 4,37 GB, 720p. Details:
Muxer mkvmerge v2.2.0
Duration 1:41:02,524
Audio DTS
Sampling rate 48000
And I'm loading subtitles from srt.
I have splited the file in half and the result is the same.
Can you or anybody help?
Thanks a lot.

eitach
6th August 2008, 17:26
WHERE ARE YOU 3r1c ?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? we didn't saw you age!!! please keep update mkv2vob! the best program ever!

doragasu
7th August 2008, 18:53
How does mkv2vob know when to transcode a file? I know PS3 doesn't support AVC 5.1 profile, but I have read tsmuxer can lower it to 4.1. So why does it for example need to transcode this stream? (I'm using m2ts for the output):

Track ID: 1
Stream type: H.264
Stream ID: V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Stream info: Profile: High@5.1 Resolution: 1920:816p Frame rate: 25
Stream lang: eng
Track ID: 2
Stream type: AC3
Stream ID: A_AC3
Stream info: Bitrate: 448Kbps Sample Rate: 48KHz Channels: 6
Stream lang: spa
Track ID: 3
Stream info: Bitrate: 384Kbps Sample Rate: 48KHz Channels: 6
Track ID: 4
Stream type: SRT
Stream ID: S_TEXT/UTF8
Stream info: SRT text subtitles
Track ID: 5
Track ID: 6

This other movie was converted without transcoding:
Track ID: 1
Stream type: H.264
Stream ID: V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Stream info: Profile: High@4.1 Resolution: 1920:800p Frame rate: 23.976
Track ID: 2
Stream info: Bitrate: 640Kbps Sample Rate: 48KHz Channels: 6
Track ID: 3
Stream type: DTS
Stream ID: A_DTS
Stream info: Bitrate: 1536Kbps Sample Rate: 48KHz Channels: 6
Track ID: 4
Can't detect stream type
Track ID: 5
Can't detect stream type

Can it be only because of the profile? I have read something about PS3 not supporting b_pyramid. Is this checked by mkv2vob? How can I know if that option is used in a movie? Are there other parameters not supported by PS3 that mkv2vob checks?

The reason I want to get rid of mkv2vob is because I'm a Linux user, and mkv2vob is a windows only tool (I've not tried if it works with wine, but I'd like to avoid wine if possible).

Also, if anybody knows a good mkv2vob replacement for Linux, it would be greatly appreciated.

pk1209
7th August 2008, 20:31
Hi everyone... i'm using this quality app to convert 1080p mkv's to mpeg2 (which you probably guessed given i'm posting in this thread) and then streaming from PC to PS3

Anyhoo, overall the results are amazing, but ever so often the playback skips when i'm watching a file. At first i had no idea what was the cause, but i've since noticed on the PS3 that when the Mbps reaches 20+ or so, that when the skipping occurs.

The majority of a movie stays below that and are perfectly watchable, but what I'm not sure about is whether or not it's normal for this to happen. Is it a problem with the way the file has been converted? Is it normal for this to happen and it's a bandwidth issue (using 85mbps homeplug)?

Any clues you could give would be greatly appreciated!

ta

pk

3r1c
7th August 2008, 22:20
"Could not parse mkv file" means the program tried to run mkvinfo.exe in the tools folder to get details about the mkv.
Getting this error means one of two things, either the file is not a mkv, or your computer is preventing mkv2vob from running the mkvinfo.exe.
Some silly virus scanners or security software prevent one program from running another, the solution is to uninstall these crap.
Your registry may also be damaged by a (previous?) virus/trojan/spyware infection.

ancarloro
8th August 2008, 19:55
its possible see the files converted with mkv2vob in a table Bluray palyer ?

Quatre
11th August 2008, 03:03
I haven't been reading this thread in awhile becasue i got a Popcorn Hour and use that to watch 1080p x264 movies with full DTS sound. Funny thing is the pch actually has trouble with some mkv files whether because of higher then L4.1 encoding (even then unofficially it can support higher) and with files with DTS sound. It can do dts sound but with 1080p mkv with dts its just very taxing on the device.

The solution is remuxing to .ts using tsxMuxer. one prog, one step and only takes 10-15 min so its a good solutiona you get the dts sound. But its just funny that myself and others got the pch device to not have to use progs like mkv2vob and yet we still have to remux the mkv much of the time anyway even for the pch. I've just gotten used to remuxing all 1080p mkv with dts to .ts. I think tsmuxer can do srt subs but if its not you have to use mkvextract to extrac the subs from the mkv and then convert them to .srt and then name it same as your ts file to have your subs back with your mkv file remuxed to .ts

anyway i'm mostly writing this just to say that i still actually use mkv2vob for 720p hdtv eps as they never need transcoding and its a very fast remux to .m2ts and hdtv eps always are under 4gb so they fit on a fat32 2.5" usb hdd connected to ps3. So I still prefer this method for hdtv eps.

the .m2ts eps will work on both ps3 obviously and also the pch but i still find the controls better believe it or not on the ps3. for some mkv files and it seems even some remuxed with mkv2vob to .m2ts the popcorn hour can't use the ff and rewind buttons and you have to seek same with .mkv files. so the ps3 just ends up being better with more control beiieve it or not the popcorn hour in those cases a device made to play hd video files.

for movies 1080p mkv with dts remuxe to .ts and playe don the pch is great so no more transfering from pc to the ps3 sata 2.5" internal hdd via tversity

But recently the olympic opening ceremony got deleted off our dvr before my wife could watch so i got a 720p x264 of it and ran mkv2vob on it which didn't need to transcode which despite it being 4hrs was pretty fast.

I think when mkv2vob doesnt have to transcode, it is faster then tsMuxer. But I saw someone mention they used tsMuxer on the same opening ceremony 720p mkv to stream to ps3.

I didn't think tsMuxer could make a ps3 compatible file in one step. i know mkv2vob uses tsMuxer but i thought there was more to it then that so I wonder what the guy meant or if anyone can answer that. CAn one just use tsMuxer to do what mkv2vob does>?

Also, while i think the 720p .mkv will work on the popcorn hour fine so i can view that or even remux it to .ts for more stability and better controls (again i think the pch still has some problems with ff and rewind controls on the pch and you ahve to use seek buttons instead so that is another reason worth remuxing to .ts even for the ps3)

I guess the ps3 can't play those mkv remuxed to .ts using tsMuxer though right? so i dont know what that peson was talking about unless they did the other steps that mkv2vob does on their own manually.

I forgot how to split up a .m2ts file into 4gb or less segments so I just tversity to copy it to the 320gb 2.5" sata hdd i put in my ps3 but I kind of need most of that space for my hd home videos which is why i dont use ps3 for full movies anymore as no dts also. i just use it for 720p hdtv eps via 2.5" usb ext. hdd but olympic opening ceremony is 4hrs long and over 4gb so i just used tversity to copy it to the ps3 to view it.

I think i remember its easier/better to split the mkv up first before running mkv2vob on it or crap i guess mkv2vob now has a split feature, ugh i shoulda used that, ah well maybe ill try that on the other version.

i guess my main question is can one just tsMuxer on an mkv to play it on ps3? or are there other steps. if so does that mean that all the mkv i remuxed to .ts using tsMuxer for the pch will play on the ps3? i think i tried one and it didnt.

also between ps3 and pch what do you think the best player and file format is to watch something like that on and what prog.

i'm thinking i'm going to try mkv2vob again, use the file split feature and that way I can put it on fat32 usb ext. hdd and it will be a .m2ts file that will play on both ps3 and the pch.

also i dont know if new version of tversity fixes this but i guess its a ps3 problem anyway but while ps3 can read .m2ts file off usb ext. hdd, it can't seem to see them via tversity (to stream or copy to ps3) I always have to change the extension to .mpg (and .vob works i think)

for ppl that use tversity (to stream or copy to ps3) what file extension are you using? does newer versions of tversity see .m2ts files?

NiGHTsC
13th August 2008, 17:33
Just tried v2.2.4 2 to convert MKV (h264+ac3) to VOBSUB, output:vob; codec:x264
the problem is...vob has no audio?

Thank you in advance.

It will encode whatever subtitles are in the subtitle track marked "english" in your mkv.
It will be the same as what you see when playing the mkv with english subtitles on.Do you need to merge the subtitles into MKV and named them to English in order to encode it to PS3 video files with hardsubbed?
Cause I just tried without merge it and it didn't work.
it loads perfectly when I watching it.

Fredro
13th August 2008, 22:02
hi 3r1c, nice app, but I just got some problems.

Before when the app was in version 1.5.* it often made the vob around double the size, the quality was perfect.

But now with this new version I tried to get it back as it was before, so it would make the final output file around double the size since that is the quality I want. Since now it makes all of the outputs around the same size as the original mkv file, and the quality is not that good, it's staying around ~10Mbits (the video).

Before it was always really high, like around 30Mbits, and I just want that small detail back.

With the old version I renamed the extension to mpeg so I could stream it with WMP11. But now I don't need to do that anymore since of the extension chooser.

Thanks

burnsdg
14th August 2008, 17:30
Before it was always really high, like around 30Mbits, and I just want that small detail back.
Detail that wasn't there in the source won't be there just because you make the bit rate higher. If you want mkv2vob to output a high bitrate file like that, set it to transcode to MPEG-2.

metoo999
15th August 2008, 14:29
i guess my main question is can one just tsMuxer on an mkv to play it on ps3? or are there other steps. if so does that mean that all the mkv i remuxed to .ts using tsMuxer for the pch will play on the ps3? i think i tried one and it didnt.

Sometimes TS files will not work so well with MKV2VOB. I never seemed to have good luck with them. TSMuxer is good for remuxing TS files into .M2TS files, which the PS3 can play fine (with AC3 sound of course). The PS3 cannot read TS files, IIRC.

I don't bother trying MKVs with TSMuxer because it's too much to think about. I just stick it into MKV2VOB and let that handle it. I hate transcoding, so if it starts that, I usually abort and watch it from my laptop attached to the TV. The ideal situation is to watch it from my PS3 with my handy-dandy Bluetooth remote, of course. :)

Edit: Odd, I just tried a 1080p/AC3 L 4.1 MKV sample file and MKV2VOB wanted to transcode it. But when I remuxed the MKV as a .M2TS file, it played fine on the PS3. Will have to investigate this with more 1080p files.

B4tm4n
15th August 2008, 19:47
Sometimes TS files will not work so well with MKV2VOB. I never seemed to have good luck with them. TSMuxer is good for remuxing TS files into .M2TS files, which the PS3 can play fine (with AC3 sound of course). The PS3 cannot read TS files, IIRC.

I don't bother trying MKVs with TSMuxer because it's too much to think about. I just stick it into MKV2VOB and let that handle it. I hate transcoding, so if it starts that, I usually abort and watch it from my laptop attached to the TV. The ideal situation is to watch it from my PS3 with my handy-dandy Bluetooth remote, of course. :)

Edit: Odd, I just tried a 1080p/AC3 L 4.1 MKV sample file and MKV2VOB wanted to transcode it. But when I remuxed the MKV as a .M2TS file, it played fine on the PS3. Will have to investigate this with more 1080p files.

The PS3 does play ts files and with the latest firmware, you don't even have to change the L5.1 to L4.1, this is using tsMuxer. (Its a one click solution).

NiGHTsC
16th August 2008, 01:01
Anyone knows what audio codec I need to play the converted VOB on PC?
I've installed AC3filter 1.51a and still no love.

djhazardous
16th August 2008, 13:09

When I asked 3r1c a question a while ago I remember him saying the file extention is irrelevant and that what the file contained was the exact same data. It's not impossible however that one extension has better compatibility with an MKV than another. I don't know, I've always used .MPG and all mine have worked and I've only ever had to transcode once!

Anyone knows what audio codec I need to play the converted VOB on PC?
Try downloading and installing the Combined Commuinity Codec Pack here:

http://www.cccp-project.net/

metoo999
16th August 2008, 16:05
The PS3 does play ts files and with the latest firmware, you don't even have to change the L5.1 to L4.1, this is using tsMuxer. (Its a one click solution).

I didn't know that. I must have gotten some borked TS files or did something wrong to them.

metoo999
16th August 2008, 16:06
When I asked 3r1c a question a while ago I remember him saying the file extention is irrelevant and that what the file contained was the exact same data. It's not impossible however that one extension has better compatibility with an MKV than another. I don't know, I've always used .MPG and all mine have worked and I've only ever had to transcode once!

I have AC3Filter and CCCP installed. Sometimes after converting, I will not get audio on the files on Windows, but they play fine on my PS3.

NiGHTsC
16th August 2008, 19:29

I have AC3Filter and CCCP installed. Sometimes after converting, I will not get audio on the files on Windows, but they play fine on my PS3.That's how it killed me.
the Audio codec is definitely AC3 (from MediaInfo) and I'm playing it with MPC v6.4.9.0 and it just can't find the audio.
video is from 3r's sample.
I'm just trying to have a stand-alone codec, tired of these packs.

naj
18th August 2008, 15:28
Why don't you just install AC3Filter?

NiGHTsC
18th August 2008, 19:24
Why don't you just install AC3Filter?hm....I did?Anyone knows what audio codec I need to play the converted VOB on PC?

Quatre
19th August 2008, 05:38

didn't know that either. I have a popcorn hour player which I like many got for x264 .mkv playback with no need to convert. But it while the pch can play L 5.1 files its not officially supported and a lot of 1080p mkv with DTS have problems. The fix is to use tsMuxeR to remux to .ts and then the pch can handle any 1080p .ts with full DTS sound.

even ff and reweind controls are finicky or dont work fully with mkv on the pch. Its still a great player and I do use it for 1080p movies with dts but for tv eps mkv2vob and ps3 is still king.

I dont know why but I just like the controls on the ps3 better and the picture is good and convenience from a 2.5" ext. usb hdd.

720p hdtv eps never need to be transcoded and the ability to have mkv2vob add the file from the rar without having to unrar first is convenient and quick. No hdtv eps are ever larger then 4gb except in the case of something super long like the olympics opening ceremony and then you just have mkv2vob do the fat32 4gb split option which gives you 2 parts (less to ffwd through if you trying to get to a certain part though the ps3 ability to skip to any time in the file without ffing through it all is great)

so yeah even with the popcorn hour as one of the most popular (and economical) HD media players, I still make use of the ps3 for hdtv eps thanks to mkv2vob.

continues to be a great prog.

in fact if ps3 plays .ts files then short of no DTS sound on the ps3 then I maybe didn't even need a pch. But for movies you dont want split up parts usually and it was a pain to transfer to the ps3 internal hdd via tversity and besides i need all that space for avchd home videos.

I know 3rlc was mostly using mkv2vob for hdtv eps also and for that it does remain king.

3r1c
19th August 2008, 05:43

This is misleading info.
Short answer: this will not allow you to do anything that mkv2vob does not already do.

Long answer:
The latest ps3 update ignores the level flag, so changing the flag is no longer necessary, but if the video is encoded with L5.1 it still will not work.
Many people who encode movies are mistakenly setting L5.1 flag on a video which is not actually encoded with L5.1, the new update allows these files to be played.
Videos which are not playable still need to be transcoded as always.
The PS3 does not possess the video hardware needed to decode L5.1

metoo999
19th August 2008, 06:14
in fact if ps3 plays .ts files then short of no DTS sound on the ps3 then I maybe didn't even need a pch. But for movies you dont want split up parts usually and it was a pain to transfer to the ps3 internal hdd via tversity and besides i need all that space for avchd home videos.

I know 3rlc was mostly using mkv2vob for hdtv eps also and for that it does remain king.

The PS3 is great for TV eps and also 720p/AC3 movies. I don't mind splitting them as it takes just a few seconds to switch files. I usually split and save them to my tiny external USB HDD and play them from there without even copying to the PS3 HDD. 720p/DTS movies I just play from my laptop hooked to the HDTV.

B4tm4n
19th August 2008, 10:32
The PS3 is great for TV eps and also 720p/AC3 movies. I don't mind splitting them as it takes just a few seconds to switch files. I usually split and save them to my tiny external USB HDD and play them from there without even copying to the PS3 HDD. 720p/DTS movies I just play from my laptop hooked to the HDTV.

I stream all my media so I don't need to split any of the files.

metoo999
19th August 2008, 19:00
I stream all my media so I don't need to split any of the files.

That's great, but with streaming you have to keep on your PC and PS3 throughout. I prefer to have it all on my PS3.

metoo999
20th August 2008, 00:33
I want to convert some 4:3 TV shows from a DVD. What is the best possible bitrate quality I can use, meaning as close to the original DVD-9 as possible? I was thinking about encoding into a high bitrate PS3 compatible MKV using OS X Handbrake, then running them through MKV2VOB. Which exact settings will make it PS3 compatible. Handbrake has a PS3 setting, but it only goes to 2500 kbps.

NiGHTsC
20th August 2008, 01:56
any AUDIO codec news?
AC3filter? Failed.

That's great, but with streaming you have to keep on your PC and PS3 throughout. I prefer to have it all on my PS3.
well, you could always copy them to PS3, 4GB file took me 1h.

metoo999
20th August 2008, 19:02
I had some partial success with the DVD to PS3. I opened the DVD in Handbrake, picked the PS3 preset, chose MKV as the container, chose AVC+AC3, then changed the bitrate to 5000 kbps. Then I remuxed the episodes through MKV2VOB (no transcoding).

They came out great, but there is a line of distortion on the right side of the video when I play it on the PS3. It almost looks like a mirror image of what happening right next to it. It's not present when I play the file on my computer. Sucks cause otherwise the video looks and plays perfect.

I also tried remuxing the MKV to a M2TS through TSMuxer, but it did the same thing.

I was going to do just the PS3 preset, but the bitrate is only 2500 kbps on that one and the program wouldn't let me use AC3 passthrough without changing the extension to M4V (which made it unplayable on the PS3).

3r1c
20th August 2008, 19:06
They came out great, but there is a line of distortion on the right side of the video when I play it on the PS3. It almost looks like a mirror image of what happening right next to it.

The PS3 does this when your video frame size is not a multiple of 16.

If you are trying to watch a dvd, just extract the mpeg2 stream from the dvd to a mpg file and ps3 will play it with no conversion needed.

metoo999
21st August 2008, 00:37
The PS3 does this when your video frame size is not a multiple of 16.

If you are trying to watch a dvd, just extract the mpeg2 stream from the dvd to a mpg file and ps3 will play it with no conversion needed.

Thanks. I used DVDShrink to re-author each episode as a separate VOB set (so they wouldn't get attached to each other), then I used VOB2MPG to save them as MPGs. I wish I had known about VOB2MPG before.

eitach
21st August 2008, 17:34
Hi 3r1c, there are any plans to new version soon? maybe you will add options to "Subtitle Options" like, size, font, bold... ?
add MPEG/2L support to convert to ac3? AVCHD option?

NiGHTsC
22nd August 2008, 21:52
Hi 3r1c, there are any plans to new version soon? maybe you will add options to "Subtitle Options" like, size, font, bold... ?+1
Wondering why mkv2vob will change the font after converting.

tintin1001
23rd August 2008, 20:03
Is there anyway to create files with PCM instead of DTS->AC3 ?
And would these be playable? Eventhough it would only be worthwhile for HDMI

Sagaroth
25th August 2008, 17:03
Hi there
The program is great !
3r1c please make Cyrillic subtitles usable in next version
Thanks and keep up the good work !

veggav
25th August 2008, 20:37
Hi, longe time din't check the mkv2vob progress.
Does the ps3 still have problems with fault 720p like 1280x568 ?
The green bar issue ?

Does the mkv2vob transcode when you add a srt subtitle ?
Does it take a long time for that ?

metoo999
26th August 2008, 09:20
Hi, longe time din't check the mkv2vob progress.
Does the ps3 still have problems with fault 720p like 1280x568 ?
The green bar issue ?

Does the mkv2vob transcode when you add a srt subtitle ?
Does it take a long time for that ?

You mean when you try to make a AVCHD disc out of a MKV when it's not exactly 720p or 1080p? Yeah, it still does that.

I believe it does transcode when adding subtitles because the PS3 can't read separate subtitle files. Not sure how long it takes, but it's fairly long on my C2D 2.0 GHz.

Oleg Rode
26th August 2008, 21:51
Hi there
The program is great !
3r1c please make Cyrillic subtitles usable in next version
Thanks and keep up the good work !
Yes, also ask for this!:)

johnmerrick
27th August 2008, 10:03
does anyone know why DTS mkv's become much smaller than their original size?

not complaining by the way because i like the fact i can get 1080p's onto a DVD9!

thanks

naj
29th August 2008, 14:23
Usually DTS is 1536kbps long, and AC3 is 640kbps, thus a lot smaller...

NiGHTsC
2nd September 2008, 18:09
@3r1c
Any chance to support SSA/ASS subtitle type in the future?
font changing is the point!

Thank you.

Sirlx
4th September 2008, 10:22
Hi :)

First, excuse my bad english, i'm french. :)

I would like to congratulate Eric for his wonderful work on this program, i use it everyday.

I have a question: is mkv2vob Vista-64 bits compatible ? And if not, is there any chance to get soon an update for that ?

Thx a lot :)

vg132
5th September 2008, 05:44
Any chanse for this great tool to go open source?

/Viktor

Sulimo
6th September 2008, 04:01
This probably was answered in the 100 pages or so of this thread but...

I'm using version 2.24. Anyway running a certain mkv that is H.264/AAC audio I notice that it seems to convert the audio to Dolby Digital no matter what setting I try. Is there a way for it just to pass through and keep the original AAC audio?

metoo999
6th September 2008, 05:18
Any chanse for this great tool to go open source?

/Viktor

Yeah, I would love an OS X version. This and TSMuxer are probably the only PC programs I use regularly. I hate having to boot my Macbook into Windows. :(

metoo999
6th September 2008, 05:21

I'm using version 2.24. Anyway running a certain mkv that is H.264/AAC audio I notice that it seems to convert the audio to Dolby Digital no matter what setting I try. Is there a way for it just to pass through and keep the original AAC audio?

I don't think you can change that function. You might have to use MKVToolnix to demux and another program to remux the audio/video into a container the PS3 can read.

azyd
6th September 2008, 14:49

use yamb.... it will allow you to remux your h264 and acc streams to a compatible mp4 file thats playable on the ps3

Poof
8th September 2008, 04:09
5. Playback the vob file through tversity, burn to dvd-r, flash drive, etc...

I converted an x264 mkv to both mpg and VOB, then tried to load them into encore, and it could tell the mpg wasnt a real mpeg2 stream (meaning it wanted to transcode it), and it treated the VOB like an ac3 stream (no video).

So, this program doesnt work or what?

Poof
8th September 2008, 04:51
Confirmed. Tested with DVDflick and both VOB's and MPG's are read as corrupt or incorrect streams.

Also, upon loading the program, comodo firewall reported trojan activity coming from "loader.exe". What sort of bullshit are you trying to pull? Cant believe doom9 hasnt banned you yet.

azyd
8th September 2008, 05:03
Confirmed. Tested with DVDflick and both VOB's and MPG's are read as corrupt or incorrect streams.

Also, upon loading the program, comodo firewall reported trojan activity coming from "loader.exe". What sort of bullshit are you trying to pull? Cant believe doom9 hasnt banned you yet.

first of all the files that get produced are ment for the ps3 not for your pc.
second i have had this prog scince day one i never had any problems.... so watch who you accuse of what....

metoo999
8th September 2008, 18:35
My scanner hasn't picked up anything in the MKV2VOB installation, and I've been using the program with few problems for almost half a year.

rolanocalhau
8th September 2008, 23:42
Hello 3r1c!
What a great app you made. Congratulations.
I'm already using it for some time and been very usefull.
I have the last version v2.2.4 and the last file I tried to convert gave me the following error:
"The function SetMode was called on a stream[?] that hasn't been previously initialized with SetSource."
I found it very strange because I didn't know your program would use VirtualDub.
After I close this dialogue box the status shows complete but the file is missing - and nothing was done in spite it took more than 1 hour.
The file I'm trying to convert is 4,37 GB, 720p. Details:
Muxer mkvmerge v2.2.0
Duration 1:41:02,524
Audio DTS
Sampling rate 48000
And I'm loading subtitles from srt.
I have splited the file in half and the result is the same.
Can you or anybody help?
Thanks a lot.

Can anyone help on this?

Another problem I found is related to mencoder.exe: in the beginning of the transcoding i get the traditional windows message "mencoder.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close".
Why?

azyd
9th September 2008, 17:22
i have some files that have been encoded high@level 4.1(1080p) and no matter what i do i cant get my ps3 to read the video.... it will give me the audio.
is there anything that can be done to fix this.....?

GuyManDude
9th September 2008, 19:22
I have an mkv file that uses "MPEG-1 Audio layer 2" for the audio codec and can't be converted by mkv2vob. Is there a way to convert this file so that I can play it on my PS3?

azyd
10th September 2008, 03:49
I have an mkv file that uses "MPEG-1 Audio layer 2" for the audio codec and can't be converted by mkv2vob. Is there a way to convert this file so that I can play it on my PS3?

you are going to have to manually encode the audio to ac3 and then remux it to an mkv or pop it in to tsmux.er

incognitos
12th September 2008, 16:31
I take conversion without transcoding and when I click Add File I have a status "ERROR REPAIRING AC3". This is error?? or program only repairing AC3 and after conversion vob will be ok??

lazarusbf
12th September 2008, 23:05
hello everyone,
i've been using this fab application for a while now, but only for tv series episodes and all went fine.
today that was the 1st time i went for muxing a 4.4Go mkv file so that i could play it on the pS3 but after about 6 hours work, the progress bar was still barely at half the job.
Is this normal ?
for sure my pc's ageing (simple athlon 2.8, 1Go RAM), but does it take about 15 or 18hours to mux such a file ?

skylinekiller
12th September 2008, 23:47
Do you guys think this program is being scrapped? There are a lot of discrepancies and haven't been any updates. I would actually pay money for it if it worked better. Nothing else accurately converts MKV files. I hope the creator makes updates.

eitach
13th September 2008, 13:34
Do you guys think this program is being scrapped? There are a lot of discrepancies and haven't been any updates. I would actually pay money for it if it worked better. Nothing else accurately converts MKV files. I hope the creator makes updates.

Yeha me too!!!, or the u will release the open code for someone else if u don't have time for this...

rsaini
16th September 2008, 19:16
How can I extract the streams that are in my VOB files? Tried tsmuxer and mkvextract but no luck...

clotz2000
17th September 2008, 00:24
How can I extract the streams that are in my VOB files? Tried tsmuxer and mkvextract but no luck...

http://www.doom9.org/Soft21/Vobtools/Vobedit06.zip

VOB editing utility, can split, demux, remux and join VOB files.

Hope that helps...

rsaini
17th September 2008, 01:03
http://www.doom9.org/Soft21/Vobtools/Vobedit06.zip

VOB editing utility, can split, demux, remux and join VOB files.

Hope that helps...

will try...thanks

-=Pjay=-
20th September 2008, 13:02
Hi and thx Eric for the great app.
However, I had two mkv's which needed "repair AC3" and the 5.1 stream was converted into 2.0. (I have the latest version)

My question is if there is some way to embed subtitles into the VOB or TS so that the PS3 can read it from the stream (on/off functionality)? The reencoding is very time-consuming.
Or is PS3 only able to use embedded streaming of subs in DVD or BD mode?

Would also be great to have some sub editing options in the app, souch as font size and type, offset and so on.
Oh, and would it be possible to include some more info about the progress other than the very fat bar? ;)
I open the txt file in the TEMP-folder regularly to read the progress (% completed, FPS, time remaining). Would be nice to have this info in the app window.

chadsmith
20th September 2008, 15:03
first of all thx 3r1c for this great app.
I would like to know if there is anyway to change the bitrate mkv2vob uses so i can fit 10GB into DVD9 cause i dont want to spli it (it ruins the movie:P)
thx for the help...

Shayx
20th September 2008, 21:59
hey 3R1C!
i have a question for you...

can we expect a QUAD support in the future releases of MKV2VOB?

NiGHTsC
22nd September 2008, 00:16
Please let us to add subtitle without mux it into MKV, simpler and faster.
If it's possible, please add the support to other subtitle type, eg, SSA and ASS, and not only SRT.

Thanx 3r1c, you have made an awesome program!

NiGHTsC
22nd September 2008, 16:18
hey 3R1C!
i have a question for you...

can we expect a QUAD support in the future releases of MKV2VOB?
Yah, multi-thread support would be great too, I have X2 4200+ and I just realized it's using only 50% of CPU Ultilization.

oh 3r1c, about the subtitle support, maybe you could do the same as AVIAddXSubs?
it has a build-in subtitle options.
http://www.calcitapp.com/AVIAddXSubs.php
http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/125/57375881eb9yn5.jpg

Thanx again.

avih
22nd September 2008, 17:46
Is there any reason that this thread is crowded with quite a few users with 10 messages each on average? Is this thread linked from another forum? I'm just interested..

metoo999
22nd September 2008, 18:05
Is there any reason that this thread is crowded with quite a few users with 10 messages each on average? Is this thread linked from another forum? I'm just interested..

I'm guessing because we post a lot.

prophetizer
22nd September 2008, 18:46
i've been having problems with this app lately, just not working right. if i use tsmuxer it does fine, so i dunno. is there some known bugs right now? where can i see that list?

MicoMaco
22nd September 2008, 23:26
I already made a separate thread on this issue I have but no one answered. Since it is about mkv2vob I finally decided to come here and ask the same question again. mkv2vob allows transcoding mkv files to avi with XviD codec. Now the question. Why is a target bitrate in such created avi files encoded with Xvid codec limited to about 3050 kbps in mkv2vob. We all know XviD can go as high as 10000 kbps. I discovered the same issue in Super. Both of these software use mencoder.exe. Does this limitation come from mencoder? How can I go above 3050 kbps?

Thx for your time and answers!

MM

EDIT: Don't bother, I figured it out already, it definitely has to do with mencoder and in mkv2vob I assume the app uses default values for XviD encoding. All I have to do to manually set the bitrate is run mencoder from cmd line and set the bitrate there.

Cyberz
23rd September 2008, 10:20
very good app!

But I have some request, or suggestions if u want.
Destination Folder should always be the same folder where the mkv file is, if u don't choose another.
If u choose add directory and u already extracted the file it should not try extract the rar files again. (it never works anyway)
And maybe a stop button?

chadsmith
23rd September 2008, 11:54
I already made a separate thread on this issue I have but no one answered. Since it is about mkv2vob I finally decided to come here and ask the same question again. mkv2vob allows transcoding mkv files to avi with XviD codec. Now the question. Why is a target bitrate in such created avi files encoded with Xvid codec limited to about 3050 kbps in mkv2vob. We all know XviD can go as high as 10000 kbps. I discovered the same issue in Super. Both of these software use mencoder.exe. Does this limitation come from mencoder? How can I go above 3050 kbps?

Thx for your time and answers!

MM

EDIT: Don't bother, I figured it out already, it definitely has to do with mencoder and in mkv2vob I assume the app uses default values for XviD encoding. All I have to do to manually set the bitrate is run mencoder from cmd line and set the bitrate there.

can you please help me?how can i change the bitrate mkv2vob uses when converting to x264?i want to lower it so i can fit a movie to dvd9,is there any way?

NiGHTsC
23rd September 2008, 16:55
can you please help me?how can i change the bitrate mkv2vob uses when converting to x264?i want to lower it so i can fit a movie to dvd9,is there any way?
Yah, I would like to know what command you used to change the default bitrate...
I found that my AVI didn't drop alot, 9k to 7.6k, 1.6~k I think, hope I won't need to reconvert it.

by the way, just found out that it's MEncoder which doesn't support Multi-Thread, hope it's a future feature?

skylinekiller
24th September 2008, 19:10
If you want to add subs to mp4 use YAMB. it's free.

skylinekiller
24th September 2008, 19:11
I think it's clear that this program is dead. I havent seen any responses from the developer in some time now.

metoo999
25th September 2008, 04:41
That appears so. Is the source really necessary for someone to cobble another version together? It seems like mostly what this program does is take other programs like TSMuxer and Besweet and tell them to produce files with an output that the PS3 accepts.

eitach
27th September 2008, 01:26
3r1c is here. I checked in his profile :"Last Activity: 25th September 2008 16:36"
so 3r1c, please, give us some updates! we need your program! please!

burro08
27th September 2008, 15:13
im sure 3r1c has a life lol im sure hell be back at some point

lazarusbf
29th September 2008, 13:57
hello
i've been using this application for a while now, and i always needed to transcode my mkv files into mpegs + subtitles encoding so that they would play on my PS3.
now i also have some new video files who are still mkv AND (french) subs integrated but still i need to demux them into mpegs for my PS3.
The question is: what options should i uncheck because i've just gave it a try but it looks like it's going to take ages again to convert while i've already had the job done in the past within a few minutes, i'm sure it's a question of settings in the configuration section. Can anybody be of help ? thanks

NiGHTsC
30th September 2008, 16:44
You need to tanscode again if the MKV codec isn't supported by PS3.
what codec is that MKV? and resolution?

sftung
2nd October 2008, 06:39
Hi, MKV2VOB is great program...

but I got some problem on subtitle, some character set incorrectly rendered:

http://202.123.84.50/mkv2vob1.jpg

the character only show left side, 1/3 of right side is loss. it happen on some specified character onlt

I am using V2.2.4 and the subtitle encode is Chinese BIG5.

phirestalker
3rd October 2008, 04:47
I was wondering if I could get the source code for mkv2vob, I use linux and I would like to make a version for linux. Great app by the way :)

I am sorry if someone already asked this, but the search function on this site doesn't bring up the page of the post with the relevent keywords, only the first page and there are too many pages to go through

nosnoop
3rd October 2008, 06:08
I am sorry if someone already asked this, but the search function on this site doesn't bring up the page of the post with the relevent keywords, only the first page and there are too many pages to go through

Use Advanced Search and change "Show Results As" to "Posts".

And within this big thread, you can also do "Search This Thread" in your right upper corner.

pommywbb
3rd October 2008, 11:58
Here's my first post - i've been using MKV2VOB for a good while now but I have a massive problem and so i've joined to get an answer - hopefullly!

Ok I have 300+ Blurays/HD-DVD's in MKV format - I have been making them into VOB's for my PS3 and it works great...

BUT - I recently upgraded to a Onkyo 606 amp and some Def Tech speakers and have noticed every single one I have converted - the sound is reversed!!!

Example - Let's say a car drives past on the screen from left to right... the sound annoyingly goes the opposite right to left!

If I put a original Bluray on, it's fine.

If I play a game, it's fine and the same with music and DVD's.

So... did you know your software does this?

And is there a fix?

I really hope so.

azyd
3rd October 2008, 17:43
Here's my first post - i've been using MKV2VOB for a good while now but I have a massive problem and so i've joined to get an answer - hopefullly!

Ok I have 300+ Blurays/HD-DVD's in MKV format - I have been making them into VOB's for my PS3 and it works great...

BUT - I recently upgraded to a Onkyo 606 amp and some Def Tech speakers and have noticed every single one I have converted - the sound is reversed!!!

Example - Let's say a car drives past on the screen from left to right... the sound annoyingly goes the opposite right to left!

If I put a original Bluray on, it's fine.

If I play a game, it's fine and the same with music and DVD's.

So... did you know your software does this?

And is there a fix?

I really hope so.

hate to sound stupid but it might me a problem with the decoder u had in your pc at the time you turned them in to vob...... for the stupid part..... just swap the speaker cables unless you want to reencode all the audio....

Socomscuba
3rd October 2008, 23:07
I've been using the mkv2vob for quite awhile now and it's been very helpful.

Lately though, I'm having a slight problem and it's bugging me.

When I attempt to select a .rar file from within mkv2vob it proceeds to unrar the file, but when done it gives me an error saying "unable to extract rar file".

I go to the directory where the rar file and the file is unpacked there, just fine. No problems.

It seems like I may have accidentally changed a setting in Winrar that makes it do something that mkv2vob doesn't like. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling both applications and the application settings seem to be "saved" on the PC somehow. I have Vista 64bit edition.

Any suggestions, I'm sure it's a small problem.

frogman
5th October 2008, 18:02
hate to sound stupid but it might me a problem with the decoder u had in your pc at the time you turned them in to vob...... for the stupid part..... just swap the speaker cables unless you want to reencode all the audio....

Can you post a couple of samples...I would like to test this out on my system. :thanks:

pommywbb
6th October 2008, 07:45

Thanks for the input - but it's not that.

I've tried on 3 different PC's.

And swapping the speaker cables...they are wired into the walls!

Hmmm... i'm sooo frustrated with it as there is no settings to try etc. and it's literally every single file it converts from amimation to action movies....

azyd
6th October 2008, 17:29

Hmmm... i'm sooo frustrated with it as there is no settings to try etc. and it's literally every single file it converts from amimation to action movies....

dont know waht to tell you i have encoded and remuxed tons of stuff and i have had no problems......you should try to do what i do. demux the dts track and convet it manually with dts to ac3 prog i found..... was going to upload it here but its 10kb to big:angry:. then if you need to reencode, remux to m kv with the ac3 and import to mkv2vob and if you dont then just import to tsmuxser GUI and create your m2ts file.......

pommywbb
7th October 2008, 00:51
Maybe it's my source? - I highly doubt it as they are verrrry strict on quality - but maybe you could try MKV2VOB on one of the files?

Micro High Definition Films

http://hd-bb.org

If you need an invite, let me know.

Cheers!

prophetizer
7th October 2008, 13:50
i've searched this thread and haven't found the answer, but how come some of the remuxed videos seem to stop after a minute or so, like it was at the end?

thomasphoenix
7th October 2008, 16:18
This is happening with me every single time , if i use a source with AAC 6 channel audio ( i found there is a difference in channel mapping aac channels go into the wrong channels if u use a dts channel position),Mkv2vob does a good job with dts only, or passthrough on ac3...
The author also did mention earlier that he intended this software only for ac3 passthru or dts.

hope this helps, solutio i found is use convertxtodvd and extract the ac3 (proper channel mapping ) from the created dvd files.

pommywbb
8th October 2008, 13:35
This is happening with me every single time , if i use a source with AAC 6 channel audio ( i found there is a difference in channel mapping aac channels go into the wrong channels if u use a dts channel position),Mkv2vob does a good job with dts only, or passthrough on ac3...
The author also did mention earlier that he intended this software only for ac3 passthru or dts.

hope this helps, solutio i found is use convertxtodvd and extract the ac3 (proper channel mapping ) from the created dvd files.

I'll give that a shot - thanks for your time, much appreciated!

clotz2000
8th October 2008, 14:56
I guess I just don't understand why anyone would want any HD movies with AAC sound... I guess for TV Episodes or Anime it would be ok.

-=Pjay=-
9th October 2008, 11:00
If this fine app ever get updated, I have one more request.

My display (front projector) does not support 24 fps, hence I prefere to convert the movies into 25 fps to have them run silky smooth on my display. For now I'm using mkv2vob to reencode (burning in subs) the mkv into a vob. Then i demux the resulting vob with TsMuxer into a h264 video file and a ac3 audio file. the video file is converted into 25 fps directly in tsMuxer. I then use BeSweet to convert the audio file from 23.976 to 25 fps. Then back to tsMuxer again to mux the h264 video file and the new ac3 audio file into a "final version" m2ts movie file.

Would be nice to have an option in mkv2vob that will do this automatically in the process. Would be faster and I would not have to do the job manually! ;)

prophetizer
9th October 2008, 13:06
i have noticed that when u remux an MKV for streaming on the PS3, and those odd times that it only plays for a few seconds and stops, for some reason the PS3 info will say that the file is only like 11MB instead of it being the 1GB file that it is on the PC

eitach
10th October 2008, 14:25
Someone know how can i change the font of the subtitles?

wiggo123
13th October 2008, 12:34
Very nice app. Just want to know the best way to burn it to a dvd-r. Ive got an 8 gig file which has been split in two. So can someone tell me the best way to burn it so it can be played back on my ps3?

Ive tried using nero, but on the ps3 it just comes up with a DATA DISC and shows no file no matter what I try to do.

TIA Wiggo

bmnot
13th October 2008, 18:30
you have to press "triangle" on your controller and press show all if i remember right,it will then show you what is in the dvd

bmnot
13th October 2008, 18:31
is there any way of changing biteate mkv2vob uses when transcoding to x264??

lazarusbf
13th October 2008, 20:50
You need to tanscode again if the MKV codec isn't supported by PS3.
what codec is that MKV? and resolution?

Sorry, i was away for a while and didn't come to check answers.
I had to transcode again yes.

Now i'm on another issue and i can't figure out something:

I have this blu-ray rip, details below

It's french, but whatever, you'll understand what needs to

Format : Matroska
Taille du fichier : 7.95 Gio
Durée : 2h 20mn
Débit : 8125 Kbps
Date d´encodage : UTC 2008-08-14 16:09:23
Application utilisée : mkvmerge v2.0.2 (´You´re My Flame´) built on Feb 21 2007 23:40:55
Bibliothèque utilisée : libebml v0.7.7 + libmatroska v0.8.1
Video #0
Codec/Famille : AVC
Codec/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Profile du codec : High@L5.1
Paramètres du codec, CABAC : Yes
Durée : 2h 19mn
Débit : 7154 Kbps
Débit nominal : 7478 Kbps
Largeur : 1920 pixels
Hauteur : 804 pixels
Format à l´écran : 2.35
Images par seconde : 23.976 Im/s
Chrominance : 4:2:0
Entrlacement : Progressif
Bibliothèque utilisée : x264 - core 60 r928M 4816918
Paramètres d´encodage : cabac=1 / ref=3 / deblock=1:-2:-1 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=umh / subme=6 / psy_rd=1.000000 / brdo=1 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=0 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=1 / deadzone=21,11 / chroma_qp_offset=0 / threads=6 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / mbaff=0 / bframes=2 / b_pyramid=1 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / wpredb=1 / bime=1 / keyint=14 / keyint_min=2 / scenecut=40(pre) / rc=2pass / bitrate=7478 / ratetol=1.0 / rceq=´blurCplx^(1-qComp)´ / qcomp=1.00 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / vbv_maxrate=25000 / vbv_bufsize=14475 / ip_ratio=1.10 / pb_ratio=1.10 / aq=2:1.00
Langue : Français
Audio #0
Type de débit : CBR
Débit : 640 Kbps
Canaux : 6 canaux
Position des cannaux : Front: L C R, Rear: L R, Subwoofer
Echantillonnage : 48 KHz

> My problem is the following: as a 8Go big MKV file, i've split it into 2 equal parts with MKVmerge as my only way to play them are to use the PS3 and DVDrW.
Then i use MKV2vob to convert them so that the PS3 reads them. Part 1 was fine, mkv2vob took about 2 minutes to convert as it didn't need transcoding. Tried it on my PS3 and went fine.
Then started the job for part2 with mkv2vob and then it starts transcoding ! It's now gonna take about 12 hours as my pc's old.
Why the hell does it need a transcode for a part of it while the first one didn't need to ?? All options are unchecked. I've tried the 'never' transcode option but then the PS3 tells me there's nothing on my DVDRW.

:stupid:

azyd
14th October 2008, 05:55
Sorry, i was away for a while and didn't come to check answers.
I had to transcode again yes.

Now i'm on another issue and i can't figure out something:

I have this blu-ray rip, details below

It's french, but whatever, you'll understand what needs to

Format : Matroska
Taille du fichier : 7.95 Gio
Durée : 2h 20mn
Débit : 8125 Kbps
Date d´encodage : UTC 2008-08-14 16:09:23
Application utilisée : mkvmerge v2.0.2 (´You´re My Flame´) built on Feb 21 2007 23:40:55
Bibliothèque utilisée : libebml v0.7.7 + libmatroska v0.8.1
Video #0
Codec/Famille : AVC
Codec/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Profile du codec : High@L5.1
Paramètres du codec, CABAC : Yes
Durée : 2h 19mn
Débit : 7154 Kbps
Débit nominal : 7478 Kbps
Largeur : 1920 pixels
Hauteur : 804 pixels
Format à l´écran : 2.35
Images par seconde : 23.976 Im/s
Chrominance : 4:2:0
Entrlacement : Progressif
Bibliothèque utilisée : x264 - core 60 r928M 4816918
Paramètres d´encodage : cabac=1 / ref=3 / deblock=1:-2:-1 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=umh / subme=6 / psy_rd=1.000000 / brdo=1 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=0 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=1 / deadzone=21,11 / chroma_qp_offset=0 / threads=6 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / mbaff=0 / bframes=2 / b_pyramid=1 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / wpredb=1 / bime=1 / keyint=14 / keyint_min=2 / scenecut=40(pre) / rc=2pass / bitrate=7478 / ratetol=1.0 / rceq=´blurCplx^(1-qComp)´ / qcomp=1.00 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / vbv_maxrate=25000 / vbv_bufsize=14475 / ip_ratio=1.10 / pb_ratio=1.10 / aq=2:1.00
Audio #0
Type de débit : CBR
Débit : 640 Kbps
Canaux : 6 canaux
Position des cannaux : Front: L C R, Rear: L R, Subwoofer
Echantillonnage : 48 KHz

> My problem is the following: as a 8Go big MKV file, i've split it into 2 equal parts with MKVmerge as my only way to play them are to use the PS3 and DVDrW.
Then i use MKV2vob to convert them so that the PS3 reads them. Part 1 was fine, mkv2vob took about 2 minutes to convert as it didn't need transcoding. Tried it on my PS3 and went fine.
Then started the job for part2 with mkv2vob and then it starts transcoding ! It's now gonna take about 12 hours as my pc's old.
Why the hell does it need a transcode for a part of it while the first one didn't need to ?? All options are unchecked. I've tried the 'never' transcode option but then the PS3 tells me there's nothing on my DVDRW.

:stupid:

its because the info isnt there anymore..... you can try to demux the audio and video and remux to a new mkv then try to run it in mkv2vob with the option to never transcode

wiggo123
14th October 2008, 12:31
you have to press "triangle" on your controller and press show all if i remember right,it will then show you what is in the dvd

Yeah I tried all that. Still no joy. Thanks anyway

NiGHTsC
14th October 2008, 23:27
@lazarusbf
You should just try to send the 8GB file to PS3 instead have it burned if you can't solve it.

Someone know how can i change the font of the subtitles?You can't and I hope it's a future feature.

lazarusbf
15th October 2008, 22:02
its because the info isnt there anymore..... you can try to demux the audio and video and remux to a new mkv then try to run it in mkv2vob with the option to never transcode

The 'info' what do you mean ? because i split it into 2 parts then every time the 2nd half will have to go through transcoding ?
Otherwise then yes i'll try as you say.
Thanks for your reply.

lazarusbf
15th October 2008, 22:04
@lazarusbf
You souldn't just try to send the 8GB file to PS3 instead have it burned if you can't solve it.

Is it because i'm french speaking, but i can't see what you mean in this sentence. (i understand all words, i mean, i don't get the sense of it). :stupid:

mmace
16th October 2008, 09:29
Is it because i'm french speaking, but i can't see what you mean in this sentence. (i understand all words, i mean, i don't get the sense of it). :stupid:I didn't get it either!

have you tried letting MKV2VOB split the file for you rather than doing it before?

The information about the video is at the start, when you split it the 2nd part has no information so MKV2VOB doesn't know if it's x264 L5.1 or 4.1 etc so it won't transcode, although you can force it to transcode in the settings

hope that makes sense

NiGHTsC
16th October 2008, 20:11
Is it because i'm french speaking, but i can't see what you mean in this sentence. (i understand all words, i mean, i don't get the sense of it). :stupid:I didn't get it either!

have you tried letting MKV2VOB split the file for you rather than doing it before?

The information about the video is at the start, when you split it the 2nd part has no information so MKV2VOB doesn't know if it's x264 L5.1 or 4.1 etc so it won't transcode, although you can force it to transcode in the settings

hope that makes sensehah, typo.

@lazarusbf
You should just try to send the 8GB file to PS3 instead have it burned if you can't solve the re-transcode problem.

20th October 2008, 11:28
Hi,

I would appreciate it if someone could help me with a little problem I have with MKV2VOB.

I use it to convert video files so that they play on my PS3.

My problem is I don't know how to get english subtitles to show in films that have sections where the audio is in a foreign language (for example the 2 Kill Bill films - 80% of the movie is in English audio but then there are large sections with Chinese/Japanese audio. Normally english subtitles would come up on the screen for these bits.

The best I can come up with is to force MKV2VOB to encode english subs but it does it for the whole movie which is really annoying! If I don't force it to do this it just plays the foreign audio and doesnt display any english subtitles.

I have searched for a solution to this but havent found anything yet. Does anyone have any ideas?

eitach
20th October 2008, 14:21
Hi,

I would appreciate it if someone could help me with a little problem I have with MKV2VOB.

My problem is I don't know how to get english subtitles to show in films that have sections where the audio is in a foreign language (for example the 2 Kill Bill films - 80% of the movie is in English audio but then there are large sections with Chinese/Japanese audio. Normally english subtitles would come up on the screen for these bits.

The best I can come up with is to force MKV2VOB to encode english subs but it does it for the whole movie which is really annoying! If I don't force it to do this it just plays the foreign audio and doesnt display any english subtitles.

I have searched for a solution to this but havent found anything yet. Does anyone have any ideas?

I think that the only way is edit the subtitle and remove the sentence that they already in English and leave only the translate sentence

20th October 2008, 17:09
I think that the only way is edit the subtitle and remove the sentence that they already in English and leave only the translate sentence

Does this require a certain program to do this?

NiGHTsC
20th October 2008, 20:15
What kind of subtitle is it? IDX+SUB? SRT?
if it's srt, edit it with Notepad.
if not, God bless you.

eitach
23rd October 2008, 11:27
Does this require a certain program to do this?

fundamentally, no. but i recommand u to edit the subtitle file with "Subtitle workshop".

23rd October 2008, 13:38
it's srt.

Thanks for the replies.

asarian
24th October 2008, 11:12
Hi,

There's plenty of .srt files out there (google is your friend) that have 'Japanese only' for the two Kill Bill movies. I know, cuz I used them myself. :)

asarian
24th October 2008, 11:16

Are the connectors that go into your amp wired into the wall too?? :) Just switch those!

params7
26th October 2008, 02:43
I have a problem. Whenever I encode while enabling subtitles, the output file never shows up in the output directory specified even after it says "Complete"

WTF? Where does it go? I even looked into the temp folder and its not there. And this happens everytime. When when I encode without subtitles hardcoding enabled, it shows up in the output directory specified.

wereHamster
28th October 2008, 18:50
I have some H264 clips (in a mkv container) that won't play on the PS3 (when I remux the bitstream into mp4 without any reencoding). The bitstream indicates that it's Main@4.1, and as far as I have read, the PS3 should be able to play that. In fact, some other clips that have the exact same level and profile play just fine. Now the strange thing is that mkv2vob somehow finds out that the PS3 won't be able to play the clip and tries to reencode it. My question is this: What are the exact requirements on H264 bitstreams? There clearly are more restrictions than max-level 4.1. What else does mkv2vob check to find out whether the bitstream needs to be reencoded?

3r1c
29th October 2008, 02:50
The identifier like "Main@4.1" is just metadata set in the stream by the encoder.
It can be completely false, but its more common for 4.1 files to be mislabled as 5.1, not the other way around.
mkv2vob does not use the metadata, it computes the real level from the stream info.

azyd
29th October 2008, 17:15
nice to see you back here 3r1c.... hope you stay for a while....

yigal33
30th October 2008, 10:01
good to see you!!! we need you!!

eitach
30th October 2008, 12:10
Hey 3r1c!!! we very glad to see u here!!! :) we need some updates like AVCHD, subtitle options.....

twobells
30th October 2008, 19:12
I have used MKV2Vob for converting 1080p .mkv titles to play on my PS3 since inception and love it.
My current version is 2.2.4

However I recently have an issue which I can't seem to resolve:

1: Some .mkv films have subtitles, but do NOT have an associated .srt/.sub/.idx or other subtitle they are hard coded.

2: I assumed that being hard coded MKV2VOB would have np in converting, however when I checked the finished job no subs.....
3: So with that in mind I forced subs on in the options [encode subtitles] still no luck, what am I doing wrong?

Many thanks in advance

tb

ps: I still have 'load subs from srt' ticked, assuming that its not a problem or causing a conflict.

aHorseofCourse
4th November 2008, 00:11
I have some H264 clips (in a mkv container) that won't play on the PS3 (when I remux the bitstream into mp4 without any reencoding). The bitstream indicates that it's Main@4.1, and as far as I have read, the PS3 should be able to play that. In fact, some other clips that have the exact same level and profile play just fine. Now the strange thing is that mkv2vob somehow finds out that the PS3 won't be able to play the clip and tries to reencode it. My question is this: What are the exact requirements on H264 bitstreams? There clearly are more restrictions than max-level 4.1. What else does mkv2vob check to find out whether the bitstream needs to be reencoded?

3r1c can correct me here if I'm wrong, but from what I understand the video stream must meet Level 4.1 standards, regardless of whether it's labelled 4.1, 5.1, etc. The key thing to look for is the number of reference frames. Basically, reference frames must be 1-4 @ 1080p and 1-9 @ 720p. Any higher than that (eg, 12 reference frames @ 720p) and the PS3 won't play it, hence the need for a transcode.
You can check the number of reference frames (and other stream info) with AVInaptic (http://download.videohelp.com/download/avinaptic-20071118-full-fixed.zip).
Mkv2vob may look at other stream info as well but checking the number of reference frames is usually a pretty sure indicator of whether or not a file will need to be transcoded.

anakin16
4th November 2008, 11:25
Can anyone tell me how to avoid oversizeing when encoding subtitles? When i used mpeg2 output size doubled!!!:devil: With x264 output size is 10-20 MB bigger. How can i avoid this?

P.S. The file in issue is Star_Wars_the_Clone_Wars_s01e05_720p.mkv with 1280x720 res.

azyd
6th November 2008, 06:51
Can anyone tell me how to avoid oversizeing when encoding subtitles? When i used mpeg2 output size doubled!!!:devil: With x264 output size is 10-20 MB bigger. How can i avoid this?

P.S. The file in issue is Star_Wars_the_Clone_Wars_s01e05_720p.mkv with 1280x720 res.

you cant.....

Sulimo
8th November 2008, 11:56
I'm wondering what specs the MKVs need to be for this to work.

I mean I created a bunch of MKVs using Handbreak and the PS3 template, but when I try and run them through mkv2vob I get an 'muxing failed' error.

Nick.903
10th November 2008, 15:26
Hi, MKV2VOB is great program...

but I got some problem on subtitle, some character set incorrectly rendered:

http://202.123.84.50/mkv2vob1.jpg

the character only show left side, 1/3 of right side is loss. it happen on some specified character onlt

I am using V2.2.4 and the subtitle encode is Chinese BIG5.

Hi 3r1c,

I got the same problem as sftung. Many Chinese characters appeared incompletely.

I know Chinese users are just minority in this community, but I wish you can still help us to look into this issue. Ideally the font type can be selectable by users.

Although there are some minor issues, mkv2vob is still the best converter which I have ever use so far. Thanks a lot for your great contribution to us.

Nick.903

canuckerfan
11th November 2008, 06:45
why doesn't mkv2vob allow me to leave DTS audio alone when converting to vob. doesn't the ps3 support DTS? or am I missing something?

setarip_old
11th November 2008, 16:21
@glmike

Hi!however i do not have the original .mkv files anymore.Then use the original source material that you first created the .MKV files from...