PDA

View Full Version : Game Capturing Software

ChOnG
13th November 2007, 02:03
Hi there,

I make alot of movies for certain games i play, mostly rFactor race sim and fps shooter Call of Duty series.

rFactor im stuck with using Fraps and call of duty i use an ingame command via console called cl_avidemo. I really love the idea of fraps but it just dosent give you a totally uncompressed file as it adds its own compression/codec over the top of your recorded clip.
And cl_avidemo for call of duty is capturing using screenshots and you can get very nice quality but is very time consuming when capturing as it takes thousands of screenshots.

Im just wondering is there any game capturing software for sale anywhere? Ive tried the FastCapPro trial but could not get it working for some strange reason.

Thanks for any help or information

Cheers

unskinnyboy
13th November 2007, 04:51
Have you tried Taksi (http://taksi.sourceforge.net/)? It can save as uncompressed AVI. It can't capture audio though. You'd have to use another utility for that (something which can take line in audio). HarddiskOgg (http://www.fridgesoft.de/harddiskogg.php) might work.

Dark Shikari
13th November 2007, 05:07
What's wrong with FRAPS? Its compression is similar to DV and completely visually lossless. You can't capture uncompressed because at normal gaming resolutions not even a massive RAID 0 array will record at full speed for uncompressed AVI.

Honestly, for game capture, FRAPS is the only real option other than a dedicated media capture computer.

ChOnG
13th November 2007, 12:27
What about game developers making ingame videos for advertising? That is what im trying to find out, there must be some type of proffesional capturing software out there. Fraps is good i admit but you do loose alot of quality. You loose alot of textures making things look flat and textureless.

I guess for my other game call of duty the best way it just continueing with avidemo as its totally uncompressed.

squid_80
13th November 2007, 14:42
What about game developers making ingame videos for advertising? That is what im trying to find out, there must be some type of proffesional capturing software out there. Fraps is good i admit but you do loose alot of quality. You loose alot of textures making things look flat and textureless.
Take the output of one pc, plug it into the capture input on another. Bingo! Use any regular capture app you like. That's how professionals do it.You can't capture uncompressed because at normal gaming resolutions not even a massive RAID 0 array will record at full speed for uncompressed AVI.
My single SATA drive drops a few frames when capturing 1280x720x60fps (YUY2) uncompressed. No problems with huffyuv though. Disk throughput really isn't the issue that people make it out to be when capturing HD.

Dark Shikari
13th November 2007, 16:13
What about game developers making ingame videos for advertising? That is what im trying to find out, there must be some type of proffesional capturing software out there. Fraps is good i admit but you do loose alot of quality. You loose alot of textures making things look flat and textureless.Huh?? You don't lose textures; FRAPS looks visually lossless compared to the original; its basically impossible to tell the difference with the human eye. Perhaps you're just noticing the textures aren't as sharp as they seemed?

As long as you record on full-resolution mode correctly, you will not be physically able to tell the difference between the FRAPS compressed version and the original without software assistance.

I don't know where you got the idea that you "lose a lot of quality." Perhaps you're recording on half-resolution mode and wondering why it looks bad? ;)

ChOnG
13th November 2007, 16:31
Ah, im talking about once ive done my final compression. Since its movies i make for a commnunity i usually compress them down to about 30mb per minute. That is when you notice the difference in using FRAPS or avidemo(uncompressed). As fraps already adds its own compression/codec over the top, your final compression is basically your second compression which always drops the quality.

Adub
13th November 2007, 21:37
No, no, no. Fraps' codec is lossless, meaning no loss in quality, so your second encode is not going to come out as if you were to encode to xvid and then to X264.

If you video is coming out overly soft or something, then it is a problem with you encoding parameters, not fraps.

Dark Shikari
13th November 2007, 21:59
No, no, no. Fraps' codec is lossless, meaning no loss in quality, so your second encode is not going to come out as if you were to encode to xvid and then to X264.

If you video is coming out overly soft or something, then it is a problem with you encoding parameters, not fraps.FRAPS isn't lossless; its visually lossless, somewhat like DV but with a much higher bitrate.

While it technically has loss, the difference in encoding efficiency with re-encoding it is basically zero in all cases.