PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to rip subtitles from a divX or vcd?

Mac888
7th January 2002, 19:59
Hi,
I just got some vcds that have Japanese audio with Chinese subs. I have converted the dat file from the vcd into a MPEG-1 file. I want to subtitle the mpeg file in English. I will convert the file to a divx file before subbing it.

The question:
Is it possible to somehow rip the subs off the divx or mpeg file?

I have seen software to do that for ripping subs from a dvd that can output it as a bmp or jpg file.

Other than that it would take quite a while to do screen captures of the subtitles.

Thanks,
Mac

Taric25
9th January 2002, 01:05
Subtitles for VCD are burned in the video, there is no way of removing them (unless by cropping them out). The only way of taking the subtitles from the MPEG-1 file is by OCR (but you would still have chineese subbs, not english). To convert it to DivX, Open it it TMPEG, make your settings, save the project file, frameserve with VFAPI and encode with VirtualDub. To make english subbs... Well, I can't help you there unless you downloaded them from somewhere. If you did that, you could use the VobSub filter in VirtualDub and put the English subtitles in that way. However, (unless you crop them out) you would have English AND Chinese subtitles when you watch the video.

Mac888
9th January 2002, 06:58
Hi,
Wow! Someone finally replied! Thanks!!!!

You mentioned something about taking the Chinese subtitles from the MPEG-1 file is by OCR......I'm interested in that. Do you know what the software is called & where I can find the software? The only software I know of only works with DVDs.

The only way I know of taking out the Chinese subs is by a screen capture of the subs but that's way too time consuming. I want to take out the subs so that I can have them translated to English instead of having someone watch file.

That's a great idea of cropping out the Chinese subs. I will explore that idea.

Thanks,
Mac