PDA

View Full Version : Is there any EASY AVI to DVD software that works? (Win98)

Rekrul
18th October 2007, 16:06
I know that Windows 98 has almost no support anymore, but there are still some programs that support it.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find any software that both works and is easy to use. It seems you can have one or the other, but not both.

NeroVision Express (6.x package) - Works on most small AVI files, chokes on anything even moderately large.

DVD2SVCD - So far hasn't converted any of the files I tried. It always ends up aborting with a message that the conversion failed for an unspecified reason.

Cucusoft AVI to DVD Converter - Typically crashes when I open an AVI file.

Cucusoft Ultimate DVD Suite - Fancy interface doesn't work properly, preventing me from even opening a file.

Various all in one converters from various companies - Claim to convert to "DVD", but only convert to DVD complaint Mpeg file, not Video_TS folder.

I didn't try any of the more complex solutions because I really don't want to spend hours fiddling with various parameters and programs. All I wanted was an easy program that would take an AVI file and convert it to something I could burn to DVD with Nero and take over a friend's house. For myself, I'm happy watching the video on my monitor, but my friend is one of those older people who seem to have an aversion to computers.

Is there any all in one program that will run under 98 and convert an AVI file to DVD formatted files with as little user intervention as possible?

MrC
18th October 2007, 18:18
Have you tried AVStoDVD? Surely some features will not be available, but maybe basic functions will work. Really can't promise, because I do not have the possibility to check, but give it a chance.

When AVStoDVD starts, you will be prompted that you need Win2k or more to run. Go ahead and tell us if it works or where it fails.

:)

Bye

Nick
18th October 2007, 19:21
By all means give AVS2DVD a go. However, DVD2SVCD is a software with a long history of success with Windows 98.

As for your problems, from the error you're getting i'm pretty sure that it's one of two things.

Either you have "Do not convert audio" ticked in the Audio tab but your AVI has MP3 audio - in this case DVD creation fails as MP3 audio is not DVD-compliant. Uncheck the box and it will convert the audio to a DVD compliant format.

Or, your problem is one intrinsic to Windows 98 as it only supports FAT32 file system, not NTFS. This imposes a limit on filesize of 4GB, which your encoded video file may well be exceeding. If it isn't the audio thing, try reducing your disc size in the bitrate tab to 3990.

Also there is FAVC, although I don't know if this works with Win98. It is, however, popular software with an easy interface.

Adub
18th October 2007, 19:43
FAVC is another good one. Although I am not positive if it supports Win98. Its worth a shot though.

setarip_old
18th October 2007, 23:34
@Rekrul

Hi!

You might want to try the easy-to-use "DVDFlick"...

Rekrul
19th October 2007, 00:13
Have you tried AVStoDVD? Surely some features will not be available, but maybe basic functions will work. Really can't promise, because I do not have the possibility to check, but give it a chance.

When AVStoDVD starts, you will be prompted that you need Win2k or more to run. Go ahead and tell us if it works or where it fails.

Ok, I'll give it a try. I think I looked at AVStoDVD before and got the impression that it was something else other than a direct conversion program. Probably won't work under 98 though.

By all means give AVS2DVD a go. However, DVD2SVCD is a software with a long history of success with Windows 98.

As for your problems, from the error you're getting i'm pretty sure that it's one of two things.

Either you have "Do not convert audio" ticked in the Audio tab but your AVI has MP3 audio - in this case DVD creation fails as MP3 audio is not DVD-compliant. Uncheck the box and it will convert the audio to a DVD compliant format.

That's a possibility. I just checked the files I was using as a test and they do have MP3 audio. I was following one of the guides on VideoHelp and it didn't mention the audio settings. I looked at that tab, but didn't change anything. I don't remember what it was set to.

Or, your problem is one intrinsic to Windows 98 as it only supports FAT32 file system, not NTFS. This imposes a limit on filesize of 4GB, which your encoded video file may well be exceeding. If it isn't the audio thing, try reducing your disc size in the bitrate tab to 3990.

That shouldn't be a problem when creating a Video_TS folder as all the files are normally only 1GB in size at most. I made sure to uncheck the option to create an ISO image.

Also there is FAVC, although I don't know if this works with Win98. It is, however, popular software with an easy interface.

FAVC is another good one. Although I am not positive if it supports Win98. Its worth a shot though.

Thanks, I'm not really sure I want to install the required .Net framework though. I've heard less than glowing reviews of it.

@Rekrul

Hi!

You might want to try the easy-to-use "DVDFlick"...

From the DVDFlick site;

DVD Flick has the following system requirements:

* Procfessor: A Pentium 2 or compatible AMD processor, or better. A Pentium IV or later is recommended, the faster the better. Multithreading is supported.
* Memory: At least 128 MB of free physical RAM, 256 MB or more is recommended. When using Windows Vista, at least 512 MB is required.
* Operating system: Windows 2000 Professional, Windows XP (Professional or Home) or Windows Vista.

Maybe when I get a new system, but I can't use it right now. Thanks anyway. :)

setarip_old
19th October 2007, 01:08
I believe the only reason Win98 is not listed is due to the 2Gb individual filesize limitation of Fat32-formatted hard drives.

If you have an NTSF-formatted drive, I'm fairly certain you'll be able to avail yourself of DVDFlick...

Rekrul
19th October 2007, 03:29
I believe the only reason Win98 is not listed is due to the 2Gb individual filesize limitation of Fat32-formatted hard drives.

If you have an NTSF-formatted drive, I'm fairly certain you'll be able to avail yourself of DVDFlick...

DVDFlick won't even install under 98, it just stops with a message telling you that you need NT/2K/XP.

As for the size limitation, Fat32 is limited to 4GB, however this doesn't apply if the program creates VOB files, as these are always a max of 1GB. At least, I've never seen one larger than that on any DVD I've looked at.

19th October 2007, 03:51
Gotta ask...why don't you bite the bullet and upgrade to WinXP?

setarip_old
19th October 2007, 04:07
as these are always a max of 1GB.But the TEMPORARY files created by DVD Flick are CONSIDERABLY larger ;>}

MrC
19th October 2007, 08:51
I have tried this morning AVStoDVD with an old Win98 (1st edition!!!!) system and it WORKS. :cool:

These are the advantages (very few, indeed :rolleyes:) to remain with VB6.

Be sure you set DVD size (Custom) to 3900 MB to avoid exceeding FAT32 limit: before creating VOB files, as setarip_old said, there is the creation of M2V/MPG big files.

Bye

Rekrul
23rd October 2007, 11:46
I have tried this morning AVStoDVD with an old Win98 (1st edition!!!!) system and it WORKS. :cool:

It doesn't work for me. No matter what file I tell it to open, it complains that there are illegal characters in the filename and refuses to open it. I even renamed the file to "test.avi" and put it in the root directory of C, but still refused to open the file. As I recall, AVI2DVD had the same problem.

In other news, I tried Easy DVD Creator. It's easy to use, relatively fast and the output looked good. Of course without a way to limit the output to something that will fit on a 4.5GB DVD-R, it's pretty much useless to me. I realize I could use DVD Shrink to make the output fit, but I honestly don't want to spend that much time on it.

MrC
23rd October 2007, 15:25
It doesn't work for me. No matter what file I tell it to open, it complains that there are illegal characters in the filename and refuses to open it. I even renamed the file to "test.avi" and put it in the root directory of C, but still refused to open the file. As I recall, AVI2DVD had the same problem.

That's very strange. Could you post a screen capture of the AVStoDVD error message?

Bye

Rekrul
23rd October 2007, 16:25
That's very strange. Could you post a screen capture of the AVStoDVD error message?

Sure, here you go;

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/8875/avstodvderrorua5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

You'll note that the name appears in the Video File box, however as soon as I click Ok, it clears the box.

MrC
24th October 2007, 19:47
It seems it does not even read avi's info (by MediaInfo). Please check if there is the file "mediainfo.dll" in your "C:\Windows\System" folder.

If not try to uninstall AVStoDVD and reinstall it. If not again download MediaInfo from this link (http://downloads.sourceforge.net/mediainfo/MediaInfo_0.7.5.3_GUI_Win32.exe?use_mirror=heanet) and put "mediainfo.dll" in "C:\Windows\System".

Bye

Rekrul
25th October 2007, 09:17
It seems it does not even read avi's info (by MediaInfo). Please check if there is the file "mediainfo.dll" in your "C:\Windows\System" folder.

If not try to uninstall AVStoDVD and reinstall it. If not again download MediaInfo from this link (http://downloads.sourceforge.net/mediainfo/MediaInfo_0.7.5.3_GUI_Win32.exe?use_mirror=heanet) and put "mediainfo.dll" in "C:\Windows\System".

Yes, that was the problem. I used the no install version and forgot to find a copy of MediaInfo.dll. It works now.

One odd thing though, when I went to the directory with a few large videos in it, it took a LONG to display the contents. Somewhere around 30-45 seconds. But yet it's able to display the contents of a directory with dozens of smaller video files instantly.

I think I should just give up on the idea of creating DVDs though. By my estimates, it would take somewhere around 6-8 hours to convert a 2 hour AVI file to a DVD using QuEnc. I downloaded a copy of HCEnc, and pointed AVS2DVD to it, but it still used QuEnc. Maybe because I had the lowest/fastest quality selected?

I was really hoping to find something that wouldn't take all night to create a single DVD.

At this point, it looks like Easy DVD Creator and DVD Shrink would be the fastest, if not easiest option. I didn't actually convert the finished DVD with DVD Shrink, but based on past experiments, I'd estimate that this method would take about 3 hours total.

MrC
25th October 2007, 11:17
Yes, that was the problem. I used the no install version and forgot to find a copy of MediaInfo.dll. It works now.

Happy to hear that. :cool:

I think I should just give up on the idea of creating DVDs though. By my estimates, it would take somewhere around 6-8 hours to convert a 2 hour AVI file to a DVD using QuEnc.

:eek: What CPU do yuo have? Using a P4 @2.4GHz single core (4 years old) it takes about 2.5 hours to convert a 2 hour AVI file using QuEnc in High Quality....

I downloaded a copy of HCEnc, and pointed AVS2DVD to it, but it still used QuEnc. Maybe because I had the lowest/fastest quality selected?

Yes, HCenc (or CCE SP) is used *only* if you select Very High Quality profile. And it takes more or less twice because 2-pass encoding is performed. :)

Any chance to upgrade your system?

Bye

Rekrul
25th October 2007, 14:34
:eek: What CPU do yuo have? Using a P4 @2.4GHz single core (4 years old) it takes about 2.5 hours to convert a 2 hour AVI file using QuEnc in High Quality....

I guess I overestimated the time it would take. As a test, I tried using low quality on an 8 minute clip and it took about 16 minutes to convert it. I figured that 2 hours would take 4, more at higher settings, etc. My system is a 1.8Ghz, single core.

Any chance to upgrade your system?

At some point in the not too distant future I hope to get a new system, one that will run most of the latest software.

One other thing I noticed; when I go to the settings, it pops up a message that burning won't be possible because it didn't find a DVD burner. It's no big deal since I planned to use Nero anyway, but it's strange that it doesn't see my burner, which is a Maddog Megastor.

Oh, I wanted to ask you; I have some videos that are in two parts, but AVS2DVD only lets me open one file. I could join them, but a straight conversion of such a file would probably be well over 4GB, which is my system's limit (FAT32). If I set the size in MB to 3900, will the software compress the output enough to make sure that the temporary files are less than 4GB?

MrC
25th October 2007, 19:41
One other thing I noticed; when I go to the settings, it pops up a message that burning won't be possible because it didn't find a DVD burner. It's no big deal since I planned to use Nero anyway, but it's strange that it doesn't see my burner, which is a Maddog Megastor.

Could be. Probably the API routine AVStoDVD uses to detect DVD burners are not compatible with Win98.
However I would suggest to use ImgBurn (Build mode) to burn the VIDEO_TS folder.

Oh, I wanted to ask you; I have some videos that are in two parts, but AVS2DVD only lets me open one file. I could join them, but a straight conversion of such a file would probably be well over 4GB, which is my system's limit (FAT32). If I set the size in MB to 3900, will the software compress the output enough to make sure that the temporary files are less than 4GB?

If you set 3900 MB as Custom DVD size, AVStoDVD will automatically calculate the right bitrate. And will not produce temp files bigger than 3900. Suggestion: if calculated avg bitrate is less than 4000 kbps, select "Very High Quality" and use HCenc as video encoder.

Bye

P.S. It is better for us to go on in pvt or move to official AVStoDVD thread (http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=126647)