PDA

View Full Version : Question about automatic subtitles

w00d
7th January 2002, 00:51
I'm going to do a rip of "Ronin" and I was wondering how do the subtitles that come up only when they are speaking a different language? Like when you watch the movie, and they say something in french, a subtitle will pop up always. If I rip the subtitles with VobSub I only get ALL of the english subtitles which I don't need. I just want those few subtitles so I can encode them to the video. Thanks.

gabest
7th January 2002, 20:07
Just load the idx into notepad and delete all english "timestamp:..."s.

w00d
7th January 2002, 21:39
Ok I did that but now I have NO subtitles. Maybe you don't understand what I want. Let me try to explain it better.

In the movie they speak mostly English, which is fine because so do I so I don't need those subtitles. But there are several scenes where they speak French, and no matter what, the DVD player will pop up English subtitles so you can know what they are saying in French.

I am going to encode this movie to DivX and I want ONLY those subtitles for the French scenes. But the only options I have in VobSub are always English subtitles, but I don't need them for every scene. Surely there is something in the VOBs or the IFO that tells which subtitles these are? I don't want ALL English subtitles, just the ones translated from French (because I don't speak French).

I hope that is clearer... Thanks.

gabest
7th January 2002, 21:47
I've understood what you said for the first time. I meant doing something like this, isn't it working?

A section from the original idx file:

# English
id: en, index: 0
# Decomment next line to activate alternative name in DirectVobSub / Windows Media Player 6.x
# alt: English
timestamp: 00:00:09:000, filepos: 000000000 <-- english speech
timestamp: 00:00:10:920, filepos: 000001800 <-- english speech
timestamp: 00:00:12:960, filepos: 000002800 <-- english speech
timestamp: 00:00:15:520, filepos: 000005800 <-- french speech
timestamp: 00:00:18:080, filepos: 000008800 <-- french speech
timestamp: 00:00:21:560, filepos: 00000c000 <-- english speech
timestamp: 00:00:26:240, filepos: 00000e800 <-- english speech

The modified idx file:

# English
id: en, index: 0
# Decomment next line to activate alternative name in DirectVobSub / Windows Media Player 6.x
# alt: English
timestamp: 00:00:15:520, filepos: 000005800 <-- french speech
timestamp: 00:00:18:080, filepos: 000008800 <-- french speech

w00d
8th January 2002, 01:44
I don't know which is which. Do you mean to go through the movie and edit it all by hand?

Movieslut
8th January 2002, 02:32
Yes, but that isnt much of a big deal, is it? You know the movie, so you also know where to look for. You want a custom subbed flick, now you have to do some work for it :)

gabest
8th January 2002, 08:52
Movieslut has already answered to your question :)

I'm sorry there is no other way yet. But in most cases you only have to search for a little number of subtitles.

w00d
8th January 2002, 10:42
OK I'll give it a shot. Thanks for your help.

Delta-V
1st April 2002, 21:05
It's probably a bit late to help you, but for the sake of future generations, here's the quick and easy answer:

Open the IDX file, and edit the line:

# ON: displays only forced subtitles, OFF: shows everything
forced subs: OFF

so that it reads:
forced subs: ON

Voila!

Movieslut
1st April 2002, 22:46
Better late than never :) Thanks for the tip

cahrisma
5th April 2002, 12:51
I couldn't help reading this thread...but ahh. Are you sure the subs are displayed from a subtitle stream? The way I see it the few French-translated subs you are talking about are embedded in the video:"...and no matter what, the DVD player will pop up English subtitles...".
Maybe that's why you can't find them?

Good luck,

Cahrisma

Delta-V
7th April 2002, 03:36
Nope, they're definitely from a subtitle stream. If you just rip the movie, they don't show up. At least in Ronin, anyway. I tried that first. The method I described works like a charm, tho. No file editing required beyond the 'OFF' to 'ON' edit mentioned. Aparently, they're 'forced subtitles' and always show up...tho I wonder if they show up when you turn on the French subtitles?

Bill_st
24th May 2002, 13:41
Hmm, I am trying to do the same "trick" mentioned above (changing "forced subs: OFF" to "forced subs: ON), to rip only the subtitles that pop up automatically during songs on the movie "Moulin Rouge" , dubbed in spanish..

I am a complete n00b when it comes to ripping subs, so I could be doing it completely wrong. I started the vobsub 2.14 plugin from within virtualdub, opened the .ifo file and let it create the .idx and .sub files.. If I don't modify the .idx file all subtitles appear fine (and synched), but if I use the ^^ trick (forced subs: ON) then ALL subtitles are gone, including the ones that appear anyway when I watch the movie on a standalone player (and no, they aren't embedded in the video stream). Any ideas?? :confused:

kevzee
3rd June 2002, 03:02
hi

i am trying a similar thing with a russian film
it has a dubbed english sound track but occasionally the film lapses back into russian at which time english subs automatically come up

all i would really like to do is modify the english sub file so that i can chose which subs appear

any ideas ?

thanks kevzee

Bill_st
3rd June 2002, 20:52
Heh, I may not be the best to answer (only 1 rip with subtitles so far) but I think it shouldn't be that hard..

For instance.. if you just want the automatic subtitles that come up when the movie lapses back into russian, then I think there are 2 possibilities.. *warning, I am half guessing here*

The case I was talking in my previous post ^^ had different subtitle streams, for different purposes (several in spanish). 1 was intended to be used when you want to watch all of the dialogs as subtitles.. a different had only the subtitles that come up when the movie lapsed into english (the songs were preserved in the original language). So, to rip only those subtitles I only had to choose the second stream and didn't need to change that Force subs=On parameter.

Then, there is another possibility, when all subtitles are in one stream, but they use a flag to indicate whether a particular line is "forced" or not.. In this case doing the trick ^^, Forced sub=On , would remove all but the subtitles you want.. *untested by me*

If you have an oddball need, you would have to select a subtitle stream with all the subtitles, and edit the index file (.idx) and delete all but the lines that correspond to the subtitles you want.. the only way to do that is knowing the exact timestamp of those and then delete the rest..

Does this make any sense? :p

kevzee
3rd June 2002, 21:36
hi

i hand edited the idx file wasn't as bad as i thought

kevzee