PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 - Play in HD Component, Capture in SD Composite?

Ranguvar
15th September 2007, 02:52
Hello all.

I have an Xbox 360 and a HDTV. I have a composite and a component cable. Due to the nature of the 360, both cannot be used at the same time.

Since playing in SD over composite (or S-Video, for that matter) actually affects my GoW sniping ability for the worse, I'd like to be able to both play in 720p over component and record to my PC in 480p over composite at the same time.

I have a Hauppauge 150 capture card with composite and S-Video input.

Is there any cheap (~$40 or less) way to do this?

I was thinking of using a Y-splitter on the green component cable and hooking that into the capture card, but that probably wouldn't work.

I already tried plugging the component into the TV, and then using the composite video out on the TV. It doesn't seem to output anything, but it's faintly possible I did something wrong.

Any help?

Worst case, is there any way to at least watch in 480p component while recording in composite?

HUGE thanks to everyone who tries to help me.

Dot50Cal
15th September 2007, 06:27
As far as I know what you are asking isn't possible. I don't think the 360 outputs to both, only one, even if you have the default cable it comes with.

JoeShrubbery
15th September 2007, 18:00
You'll need more hardware, can't be done with just what you've got.

You'd need to split each of the component cables, feeding one set into the TV and the other into either a capture card that can handle component-in or a converter box of some sort to convert it to a composite signal for capping with your Hauppauge.

Either way it'll cost you $$$, most probably more than it's worth to you.

Ranguvar
16th September 2007, 04:39
@Dot50Cal: Err, I said that.

@JoeShrubbery: Thanks.

@all: Found something. The HAVA Platinum HD will split a component signal as well as capturing/downconverting it in 480i over ethernet. It should also do a better job at capturing than my crappy card, especially since ethernet has more bandwidth than composite or s-video.

It retails for $160, but Amazon has it for $120.

Now to wait for X-Mas. Being 15 sucks >.<

Oh well, VGA capture cards might be in my price range by then.

Dot50Cal
16th September 2007, 08:46
I was answering your question:

Worst case, is there any way to at least watch in 480p component while recording in composite?

Ranguvar
16th September 2007, 19:43
I was answering your question:

Err, I appreciate it, but

Due to the nature of the 360, both cannot be used at the same time.

Dot50Cal
16th September 2007, 21:12
Well alright then, Im not sure why you asked that if you knew the answer. You seemed unsure, since you asked the question in both the title of the thread and in the body.

Ranguvar
16th September 2007, 23:21
Well alright then, Im not sure why you asked that if you knew the answer. You seemed unsure, since you asked the question in both the title of the thread and in the body.

Because I wanted to know if there was a cheap way to take the 720p component and turn it into 480i composite. I was also leaving it open in case someone knew if there was a way to hack the 360 to output both.