PDA

View Full Version : Aliasing anime

hellsings
28th August 2007, 12:43
Hi everybody,

I have some aliasing which is not present on the source.

Source :

http://img120.imageshack.us/my.php?image=snapshot20070828133837qa7.png (http://img120.imageshack.us/my.php?image=snapshot20070828133837qa7.png)

AAA() + EEDI2().TurnRight().EEDI2().TurnLeft() :

http://img518.imageshack.us/my.php?image=snapshot20070828134052gs7.png

Here i put you a fragment of vob :)

http://rapidshare.com/files/51813827/cut_vob.vob.html

So i don't know if it's really an aliasing effect, thanks in advance for your answer :)

[P]ako
29th August 2007, 01:03
I don't know what you call aliasing, but I don't see any. The source seems clean to me, if I were you I won't process it with any filter.

29th August 2007, 01:11
Nor do I. Perhaps hellsings has deinterlaced instead of using IVTC. It's 3:2 soft pulldown, so try Forced Film in DGIndex.

Also, your two screenshots are not the same dimensions. Are you trying to resize? You have to tell us everything; we can't read minds.

Also, hellsings, when you post a sample in the future, please select one with more motion.

DarkT
29th August 2007, 01:21
I didn't post coz' I was like "I must be missing it due to illegal substances" - but it seems like there really is no aliasing there left...

Only ting I see is resizing... And perhapes some banding(check the hair).

If it is indeed the banding, there's an de-band function you can enable upon playback...

At any rate, my 2 cents...

29th August 2007, 01:23
My edit and your post arrived simultaneously! We both spotted the resizing.

DarkT
29th August 2007, 01:30
Nyaaaaa! :).

Seriously though - I am sort of intrigued as to what exactly hellsing wants help in, as it seems pretty damn clean to me... Heck, if I had sources like that, I'd be a happy man...

What do you bet on? :).

29th August 2007, 02:13
I think he's getting some jaggies from the resizing and wants to mitigate it. But why would he be resizing? Let's see what he says.

[P]ako
29th August 2007, 04:14
Now that you speak of resizing... he is likely doing it to bring the video to an AR close to "perfect" 16:9. He is keeping the horizontal instead, I personally like to keep the vertical. Also, the resolution of his "encoded" screen is not mod16.

I examined the source a bit further and I noticed it's not interlaced, it's 52 frames and spans for 2 sec 160 ms, consistent with 23.976 fps. Which, I find intriguingly odd. I haven't seen a DVD of an anime at 23.976 progressive.

TheRyuu
29th August 2007, 05:49
ako;1038483']Now that you speak of resizing... he is likely doing it to bring the video to an AR close to "perfect" 16:9. He is keeping the horizontal instead, I personally like to keep the vertical. Also, the resolution of his "encoded" screen is not mod16.

I examined the source a bit further and I noticed it's not interlaced, it's 52 frames and spans for 2 sec 160 ms, consistent with 23.976 fps. Which, I find intriguingly odd. I haven't seen a DVD of an anime at 23.976 progressive.

IMO, after IVTC almost all American DVD releases of anime are 23.976fps progressive.

And your probably, what your seeing, is your player force the soft 3:2 pulldown although I could be wrong.

hellsings
29th August 2007, 06:59
Thanks for your anwser, yes I resize the source because i don't like to keep the resolution of the source which in some case produce some strange effect..., you have right on my PC screen i don't see anything, but with my laptop :/

I know, i can keep the aspect ratio of my video source and set display aspect ratio to 16/9 right ?? With good video player it's work.

DarkT
29th August 2007, 11:19
Well, when you pack your stuff into .mkv container - you can specify aspect ratio... Basically the container will tell the player automatically upon playback in which aspect ratio it wants to be previewed.

An example of such a thing is - if you have seen Claymore DVD version of episode 01 by eclipse...

hellsings
29th August 2007, 12:39
Yes, so you can keep the resolution of the dvd and set a flag in mkv container which assume DAR of 16/9 ? :)

DarkT
29th August 2007, 12:52
Yup, you can set AR/RES - 's all up to you - MKV = COMMUNISM = POWER TO THE PEOPLE! :).

[P]ako
29th August 2007, 14:51
IMO, after IVTC almost all American DVD releases of anime are 23.976fps progressive.

And your probably, what your seeing, is your player force the soft 3:2 pulldown although I could be wrong.

I opened the VOB in virtualdub mod.

29th August 2007, 16:13
ako;1038646']I opened the VOB in virtualdub mod. VirtualDubMod does not honor pulldown flags, so a 29.97fps soft-pulled-down clip will show up as 23.976fps. In VirtualDub MPEG2, you can opt to honor the pulldown flags.

[P]ako
29th August 2007, 20:35
Funny.

I just opened in virtualdub mod a couple of vobs from two other different sources and both were shown as 29.97 interlaced material. For Hellsing's source I had to use dgindex to get to show as 29.97 progressive material.

29th August 2007, 20:51
As I said, VirtualDubMod does not honor pulldown flags. To see if they are present in a stream, load it in DGIndex, set Honor pulldown flags, and do a preview. If there is soft pulldown present, you'll get the field repeats box incrementing in the Info dialog.

I don't know what VirtulDubMod says for frame rate because when I select File Information, it crashes when a VOB is loaded. But it will definitely not honor the pulldown.

Your streams may be real interlaced material or hard-telecined 3:2 pulldown.

[P]ako
30th August 2007, 00:15
Regarding DGIndex, that's what I always do. Because I saw it was anime I thought it would be the same as with my DVDs. And , I didn't feel like running DGIndex for just a 2 MB vob sample. Boy, was I wrong.

I know Virtualdubmod crashes when you load a vob and then select file information. That's why I scroll all the way to the end and get the frame count and running time, simple division == frame rate.

30th August 2007, 02:13
ako;1038823']I know Virtualdubmod crashes when you load a vob and then select file information. That's why I scroll all the way to the end and get the frame count and running time, simple division == frame rate. Yes, but as I keep repeating, that's where you are going wrong! Because pulldown is not honored, you will get the count that corresponds to 23.976 fps, instead of the correct 29.97 fps for a 3:2 soft telecined stream. By loading it in DGIndex, you can see the actual frame rate specified in the stream and the presence/absence of repeat flags.

Loading a fully 3:2 soft telecined VOB into VirtualDubMod is equivalent to performing IVTC.

[P]ako
30th August 2007, 17:55
Even though I have been encoding for a while now, I didn't know that stuff about Virtualdubmod. No, I don't encode directly from vobs (maybe at the beginning with FlaskMPEG) with virtualdubmod, I always use dgindexd first.