PDA

View Full Version : Next chapter

Calimari
21st July 2007, 16:27
In the last chapter of my movie, when I push the Next Chapter button, the next Title in the VTS starts to play while I actually want the main menu to pop up. I already tried to play with PgcEdit's "Enable Navigation Buttons" and enabled the second option "When in last chapter, allow the Next Chapter button to skip to the end of the PGC" But this doesn't make any difference.
What's the ideal solution here?

bigotti5
21st July 2007, 20:25
What postcommand(s) do you have in your title-pgc?

Calimari
21st July 2007, 20:52
Postcommands are:

1 Set gprm(7) =(mov) 0
2 Set gprm(8) =(mov) 1
3 (CallSS) Call the VTSM Root menu of the current VTS, resume cell 1

blutach
22nd July 2007, 01:18
What's your Next PGCN? Is it the same as the PGC #?

Regards

r0lZ
22nd July 2007, 08:05
Is it a backup of an original DVD? In this case, you should not use the "Enable Navigation Buttons" function of the DVDShrink plugin, which should be used only on DVDShrink compilations made in re-author mode.
Use PGC -> Enable All Operations instead, or modify the NextPGCN link manually.

If the playback returns correctly to the menu when you press the Root Menu button when the title is playing, you could try to remove the first two post-commands (the two Set commands.)

Also, as blutach suggested, verify that the NextPGCN link (in the PGC editor) is really the same as the PGC number. For example, if the movie is "VTST 2, 1", the NextPGCN # must be 1.

Last note: I've read somewhere that some players skip to the next title anyway when the Next button is pressed, instead of executing the post-commands. If it's the case, it is probably possible to fix the problem by creating a new tiny black chapter at the end of the PGC. Let me know if you need an explanation on how to do it.

Calimari
22nd July 2007, 22:32
What's your Next PGCN? Is it the same as the PGC #?

It is.

Is it a backup of an original DVD? In this case, you should not use the "Enable Navigation Buttons" function of the DVDShrink plugin, which should be used only on DVDShrink compilations made in re-author mode.
Use PGC -> Enable All Operations instead, or modify the NextPGCN link manually.

It's a backup of an original disc. Are we talking about the same "Enable Navigation Buttons" under the "DVD" menu? Is this part of the DVD Shrink plugin? I tried PGC -> Enable All Operations, but this didn't work. The NextPCGN of that PGC (in the PGC Editor) is set to 1, which means it points to itself. I also tried the original, which wasn't edited with the "Enable Navigation Buttons" function. Same result.

If the playback returns correctly to the menu when you press the Root Menu button when the title is playing, you could try to remove the first two post-commands (the two Set commands.)

Well, I have to admit, so far I did all the testing in MPC. To check your suggestion, I burned a DVD-RW to test it on my standalone and ... it worked???

Last note: I've read somewhere that some players skip to the next title anyway when the Next button is pressed, instead of executing the post-commands. If it's the case, it is probably possible to fix the problem by creating a new tiny black chapter at the end of the PGC. Let me know if you need an explanation on how to do it.
This seems to be the case with MPC. The strange thing is, I've compared two discs who have about the same structure. I've compared the NextPGCN value, the postcommands, I even copied the PUO number to make sure everything is the same. The first movie acts normal when pushing the "Next" button in the last chapter, the second one starts playing the next title. I don't understand. What can cause this difference?

About adding a chapter. What I first tried (as I saw it in the second movie), was creating a new cell at the end of the PGC (a new blank VOB cell). I've set the STC flag in the last cell, and added a cell command "LinkTailPGC" to the previous cell. All because the movie that worked has this structure. But it didn't work on my first movie.
Now, adding a chapter in the Chapter Table editor got me somewhere! Finally, MPC acted normal. But now I have this situation: the Chapter Table editor shows 34 chapters, while the PGC Editor only shows the original 33 chapters. Also, playback in MPC only shows 33 chapters. Can I leave it like this?

Could this be a bug in MPC? I always thought MPC was thé softwaretool to test your backups because it acts (almost) like a hardwareplayer.

blutach
23rd July 2007, 00:06
You have discivered what we are all discovering - that software players suck. I dunno one that is truly any good.

As a final thought, have you checked your VOB PUOps?

Regards

Calimari
23rd July 2007, 09:11
You have discivered what we are all discovering - that software players suck. I dunno one that is truly any good.

But we do need one to test before burning a DVD. Which player do you use?

As a final thought, have you checked your VOB PUOps?

Well, I've checked it. Clearing all IFO and VOB PUO's didn't make any difference.

r0lZ
23rd July 2007, 09:17
MPC greatly depends of the codecs installed on your system by other programs. Personally, I prefer to use IfoEdit's preview to check my DVDs. Of course, burning a RW is better, although the DVD-Video standard is not always respected by the hardware players neither.

You can probably delete the last chapter of your movie PGC, but you have to leave the program number (as, normally, the Next Chapter button jumps to the next program and not to the next chapter!) However, normally, a chapter number should be assigned to all programs.
Caution: be sure to delete any chapter that is not assigned to an existing program! (This can happen when you delete some cells.)

And sorry, I forgot about DVD -> Enable Navigation Buttons! This function can be used on any DVD, but note that the second option skips to the end of the PGC. This means that the post-commands are executed, but that doesn't mean that the nav will return to the menu. The exact behaviour depends of the original authoring, and particularly of the post-commands.

Calimari
23rd July 2007, 09:47
as, normally, the Next Chapter button jumps to the next program and not to the next chapter!
Interesting...

This means that the post-commands are executed, but that doesn't mean that the nav will return to the menu. The exact behaviour depends of the original authoring, and particularly of the post-commands.
Well, with postcommands like
1 Set gprm(7) =(mov) 0
2 Set gprm(8) =(mov) 1
3 (CallSS) Call the VTSM Root menu of the current VTS, resume cell 1
I would expect the nav to go back to the root menu.

Anyway, my final burnt disc works in my hardwareplayer. And I discovered some new things.
So, thank you all for replying.

r0lZ
23rd July 2007, 10:24
I would expect the nav to go back to the root menu.Well, yes, the nav returns to the root menu PGC. But that PGC is not necessarily the PGC with the real menu, and the nav can also be redirected elsewhere. For example, gprm(8) could be used as a "play all" flag. The value of gprm(8) could be tested in the pre-commands of the root menu, and, if it is not 0, the nav redirected automatically to the next title. (This is why I have suggested to remove the two Set commands.)

However, if the DVD reacts as you wish when played in your standalone, it's probably something else that prevents MPC to work properly.

Calimari
23rd July 2007, 11:10
Well, actually, gprm(8) is tested in the precommands of the pgc that holds the root menu, to check if the main movie has played. If this is the case, the nav should point to another PGC that holds the extra's menu.
However, the title that plays now when I push the "Next" button in MPC, is the studio logo (TTN2 in that VTS) which should only play once, when the disc is loaded. I've checked that, it's called once, in the first-play PGC. The main movie in that VTS is TTN1.
It's obvious that MPC ignores the postcommands and moves on to the next title it finds in the VTS.

r0lZ
23rd July 2007, 12:01
OK, thanks. However, note that my MPC doesn't do that. As I said above, its behaviour depends of the codecs it uses.

Calimari
23rd July 2007, 12:10
OK, thanks. However, note that my MPC doesn't do that. As I said above, its behaviour depends of the codecs it uses.

It seems you're right (again :)).
I just installed WMP11 and PowerDVD (as WMP needs third party codecs) to make some comparisons. And ... when I play my dvd again in MPC, it acts normal now :eek:

Anyway, thanks for you time and sharing some knowledge again!

blutach
23rd July 2007, 14:20
To answer your question, I use a combo of Showtime and PowerDVD. But each have their foibles, especially with button highlights. Sometimes, you just have to trust the nav and not a software player. :)

Good to see you again Lobsterman!

Regards

Calimari
23rd July 2007, 14:54
Thanks for the nice words, blutach. I'll give that combination a try.