PDA

View Full Version : Software SVCD player with subs...

niz_se
3rd January 2002, 21:17
Hi!

Isnīt there ANY Software SVCD-player that supports subtitles?
I have burned a few SVCDs with subs, but my DVD-player doesnīt show them. It would be nice to be able to test those CDs on my computer to verify that my CDs are compiled correctly. Iīm not sure weither my DVD-player (Grundig GDV 120) supports subs or not...

Regards!:(

ukendt
4th January 2002, 00:27
or later with the right codecs !

rui
4th January 2002, 09:50
Try this one: www.radlight.net

Hope it helps

ukendt
4th January 2002, 12:07
1) The link provided doesn't work
2) If the Grundig plays SVCD it will play SVCD with burnt in subs
(maybe it will play subs with I-author ,maybe not)
3) WMP will play subs if burnt in . DVD software should play subs anyhow....

rui
4th January 2002, 16:36
"The link doesn't work"

ukendt, i am sorry, it worked some days ago to me. If you want to try the software, mail me to rui_tecedeiro@yahoo.com and i will send it to you. It's a file with 908 kb.

ukendt
4th January 2002, 17:23
I don't need it

forid16
23rd February 2002, 08:44
I use Windows media player 2 v.8 (XP).
It can play SVCD but without subtitles.
What should I do if I want subtiles?
My media player uses the right codec, right?

da franksta
23rd February 2002, 09:33
AFAIK, no software player supports svcd or cvd subtitles as of yet.
of course burnt in (permanent) subs are no problem.

j_olson
8th March 2002, 01:46
Almost all software players (BESTPlayer, BSPlayer...) that can display subtitles can also work with SVCD if you install Fraunhofer or Elecard MPEG2 filter (both are included in the Tsunami Full Filter Pack).

Pko
8th March 2002, 10:40
@j_olson

I think this thread was about SVCD subtitles (that are subtitles that are embedded into the MPEG stream and that are images -mpeg stills- and not text). Those are AFAIK not playable in a PC because none of the known players support it.

I think it should not be very difficult to, say, WinDVD to support them, and perhaps they will in a future revision of their software.

j_olson
8th March 2002, 10:53
Originally posted by Pko
@j_olson

I think this thread was about SVCD subtitles (that are subtitles that are embedded into the MPEG stream and that are images -mpeg stills- and not text). Those are AFAIK not playable in a PC because none of the known players support it.

I think it should not be very difficult to, say, WinDVD to support them, and perhaps they will in a future revision of their software.

Yes I know, but since the conclusion is that it's not possible on a PC I just gave an alternate solution...

Many people think that you can't play SVCD's without using WinDVD or similar DVD players - but with the right MPEG2 Codec, subtitles in a separate text file and a player you get a work-around.

jonte
9th March 2002, 13:36
Originally posted by j_olson

Yes I know, but since the conclusion is that it's not possible on a PC I just gave an alternate solution...

Many people think that you can't play SVCD's without using WinDVD or similar DVD players - but with the right MPEG2 Codec, subtitles in a separate text file and a player you get a work-around.

Can't get SVCDs to play in any player except for PowerDVD and WinDVD... I've installed every codec there seem to be. Including the Nimo 4.4 package and Fraunhofer codec, any suggestions? I just want a way to display external subtitles when viewing SVCD... as simple as possible.

j_olson
9th March 2002, 19:11
Originally posted by jonte

Can't get SVCDs to play in any player except for PowerDVD and WinDVD... I've installed every codec there seem to be. Including the Nimo 4.4 package and Fraunhofer codec, any suggestions? I just want a way to display external subtitles when viewing SVCD... as simple as possible.

I installed Fraunhofer and some more Codecs from the Tsunami Full Filter Pack and MPEG2 playback works in several players for me and other people who tried. Some installed Elecard and that worked for them. We use BESTPlayer, BSPlayer, WMP...