PDA

View Full Version : Can you encode the audio into windows media format?

compunerd632
3rd January 2002, 16:25
Hi, I'm trying to squeeze this movie into a really small space and mp3 sounds too bad for the bitrate it would need (40kbps). I know windows media encodes better and I was wondering if I could encode the audio using that? Would this require any special codecs for playback? I am planning on showing this on a friends computer so I need to know what codecs other than divx I will need. Thanks.

zulu
3rd January 2002, 16:36
as far as i know you have to use ms windows media encoder to produce wma files. divx/wma playback should'nt be a problem as long as ur os is ms windows ;)

compunerd632
3rd January 2002, 16:41
Ok, I can do that, but how do I mux that wma file with the video? Nandub only does wav, mp3, and ogg files.

zulu
3rd January 2002, 16:57
ok, here's another idea:

1. decode your ac3 file to wave
2. start virtual dub
3. load your avi
4. set video to 'direct stream copy'
5. set audio to 'full processing mode' and select your wave file
6. select "compression..." under the "audio" menu and check the
"show all formats" checkbox. select "divX wma audio V2" as compression algorithm and the desired bitrate on the right.
7. press f7 to save your avi.
8. that's it (hopefully :D)

compunerd632
3rd January 2002, 17:09
Yeah, that was my original idea, but I was going to use Windows Media Audio V2. I couldn't get that to work which is why I was asking this question. I don't have the divx wma audio codec, does that come with divx 3.11? I'm using 4.11, so I don't have it. Thanks for helping me.

zulu
3rd January 2002, 17:12
yes, the hacked wma codec comes with the 3.11 installer.
i guess you have to run the installer on ur friends computer,too, to install the proper (hacked) wma codec.

mustaneekeri
3rd January 2002, 20:24
40kbps is too low for WMA too. I suggest u go for mono playback. Encode ur mono WMA with Windows Media encoder or some other program. Add a WAV header to ur WMA file with WMA2WAV. And then mux resultin WMA file (with extension .WAV) in virtualdub/nandub to ur AVI.