PDA

View Full Version : Direct support for .ts -files in SubRip, anybody?

tomixyz
17th June 2007, 12:29
Hi!

As a digital video user I love SubRip (1.50b4) program for it's efficiency and convenience in ripping DVD-subtitles, but as I've started to use a digital DVB-recorder which creates .ts files I would just love to see the SubRip supporting ripping subs directly from those.

As far as I've understood the .ts format is just one ISO-standard video container with subtitles in a subpicture stream, pretty much like VOB's are on DVDs. So I wonder if it would be even that much of a challenge to ad support for the .ts for somebody with enough programming skills.. ;)

The only solution available currently is de-muxing the .ts -files with ProjectX (or equivalent) and then rip the resulting .sup -files with SupToSrt (an open source program, by the way) - which unfortunately doesn't work very well with the italics (and also lacks the general convenience of the SubRip) so there would be plenty of use for the .ts -sub ripping in SubRip, as the .ts is pretty much a format of growth these days..

manusse
17th June 2007, 12:49
You can also convert your sup file to sub/idx using SubtitleCreator and then rip it using SubRip.

Cheers
Manusse

tomixyz
18th June 2007, 09:10
I didn't realize that option in SubtitleCreator use at first glance, but I'll take another look.. Thanks!

Still, I think nobody's feelings would be much hurt if SubRip could read the .ts subs directly in future. Just an idea.. ;)