PDA

View Full Version : AVIAddXSubs: Incorporate subtitles (.srt) to avi files quick and easily

Pages : 1 [2]

jugaor
6th May 2009, 02:00
Hi, dhmk. I have a little question. When I open a aviaddxsubed video in PC, MediaPlayerClassic shows this message:
http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/3746/avichunkviewer.jpg

It's normal? Because when I burn the video at DVD-RW media (to review and correct sub errors), my standalone DVD jumps or displays artifacts randomly (it also sometimes desynchronize the audio). Otherwise, burned at DVD-R / DVD+R the video playback is normal.

They're related issues? (I think that the former 8.x hadn't this behavior)

:thanks:
jugaor

PD: videos with two sub streams (DIVX/XVID, packed/unpacked), Windows XP SP3 Spanish, AviAddXsubs 9.x, Nero Burning 7.

dhmk
6th May 2009, 05:57
jugaor,

Not related. MPC is not able to recognize XSUB streams, it thinks it is an additional video stream. Try the same with DivX Player at PC.

You are telling me that some or one case of avi had this problem with DVDRW, right? Not all avis? The avi you burned at DVDRW has to be verified to be sure is correctly written. DVDRW media fail too often after a few reuses, unfortunately. Use verify option most burn software have.

That's why I prefer now to have a device with USB and I use a 8GB memory stick. With my old PHILIPS DVP5980 I used DVDRW when the video had bitrate too high to handle its v1.1 USB and that's why I have now switched to WDTV (using idx/sub generated through AVIAddXSubs) with a USB 2.0, so never again use DVDRW and the like unreliable media. I think these media have worsen with time. At least this is the experience I had recently with a pack of 5 disks I bought.

jugaor
7th May 2009, 06:31
Not related. MPC is not able to recognize XSUB streams, it thinks it is an additional video stream. Try the same with DivX Player at PC.

I now understand the MPC behavior, thank you.

You are telling me that some or one case of avi had this problem with DVDRW, right? Not all avis? The avi you burned at DVDRW has to be verified to be sure is correctly written. DVDRW media fail too often after a few reuses, unfortunately. Use verify option most burn software have.

Well, I think that it's not a problem with the burning process (the Nero Verify option always says OK) or DVD-+RW themselves (new, unwrapped). The bad reads (with any xsubed video) usually appear after an hour or so of playback.
Since I don't remember the case with former versions of AVXS, my question was if a new (internal-undocumented?) process was added in 9.x, to try to isolate the issue...

I'll try to test several video|options|media|PC-DVD combos at weekend, and I'll be back with my report ;)

Thank you very much for your kindness.
jugaor

dhmk
7th May 2009, 06:50
Since I don't remember the case with former versions of AVXS, my question was if a new (internal-undocumented?) process was added in 9.x, to try to isolate the issue...

I cannot think of anything changed in this area and I never had any different behavior with my avis and players. The 9.x added code for idx/sub support, no changes at all to XSUB generation code.

jugaor
8th May 2009, 02:44
OK, my friend, thank you.
I'll try to isolate the issues for a more accurate reporting.

zeurt
11th May 2009, 23:25
Hi dhmk,

Actually the avi is needed to find out the frame rate. Frame rate is important for timing information embedded in the sub file that some players use.

In the absence of avi the program will ask about PAL or NTSC frame rate.
I realized that the program (I am using version 9.2) cannot find out the correct frame rate from some PAL (25 fps) AVIs. I have tested 2 PAL AVIs, and the .sub file created had NTSC (23,976) timing info embedded, instead of PAL (25 fps). It worked OK on PC, but on standalone players (I tested with 3 different brands) it had a delay (that increased with time). Its easy to solve this issue: create .idx/.sub from .srt without AVI on the folder, and manually choose PAL (25 fps). The .idx/.sub file created by this way works well on PC and standalone players. I don't know if this issue happens with all PAL AVIs or just with some of them.

Yet, considering this subject, are you planning to add more frame rates options (or custom frame rate option)?
Let me quote myself:
It would be fine if users could choose the following frame rates:
... and have a CUSTOM option, like you did for Resolution of Subtitle Bitmap.
... or just have the CUSTOM option, allowing to type de correct FPS.

Thanks again!

dhmk
12th May 2009, 07:06
zeurt,

Thanks for your report.

Before release I had test both cases and worked. I tested again now to be sure and I got the same correct result. So the problem comes from some avi. Not correct information for the frame rate? Is possible? Can you use bitrate (in the zip) and check the frame rate it displays? It comes from the same code that provides the information AVIAdXSubs uses to decide about this matter.

The second you ask needs a research to find out the formula that converts millisecond to ticks (that express the timing info in sub files). Ticks are depended on the frame rate. It appears that they have different value in milliseconds for every frame rate. I know the value for the two very common frame rates. I will research more on this matter to find the solution (the formula needed) and make more clear to me this subject. When I found it is very easy to implement your request.

To your information, the same timing information is found at idx file too this time expressed in milliseconds. Some players use idx for subtitle timing (and work ok regardless the frame rate, like in PC), and others use the timing information in ticks at sub file, that depends on the frame rate.

zeurt
12th May 2009, 13:57
dhmk,

AVIBitrate.exe tells this:

AVI: "Aki Kaurismaki - I Hired a Contract Killer (1990) eng.avi"
Width=640, Height=352, FPS=25.000

Bitrate always below 7000 Kbits/sec

AVI: "Zire darakhatan zeyton.avi"
Width=560, Height=336, FPS=25.000

Bitrate always below 7000 Kbits/sec

So, I don't know why, the program cant take this (FPS= 25) from AVI and put the correct information on .sub file (for these 2 AVIs).
When I choose manually (without AVI on the same folder) FPS=25, everything is OK on PC and Standalone Players.
I compared with UltraCompare both .idx's and .sub's files created by these two ways. The .idx's were identical. The .sub's had some bytes different. So, I took that conclusion (that the program put the wrong info on .sub file).

If you need more information about these files, let me know.

Thanks for your answer and interest!

dhmk
12th May 2009, 16:51
zeurt,

I found a situation not expected. There was a bug when the frame rate is selected by user. In this case always was selected NTSC frame rate and never PAL.

So your player appears that translates ticks always the same as for NTSC frame rate.

I have fixed user selected frame rate but this is not a solution according to your report.

I tested my PHILIPS DVP5980 and WDTV, both work whatever frame rate I use. When developing I had found that PHILIPS used sub file info because when ticks was entered wrong subtitles didn't work.

This matter needs more investigation.

For now there is no real problem as you can always select NTSC frame rate. But any input in this matter, testing with various players, will be nice and make me able to give a final answer to this.

zeurt
12th May 2009, 19:04
I found a situation not expected. There was a bug when the frame rate is selected by user. In this case always was selected NTSC frame rate and never PAL.
So your player appears that translates ticks always the same as for NTSC frame rate.

Considering this, my conclusion is: The 3 players that I tested need correct .sub timing info (ticks) to work well. And this timing info always need to be NTSC, no matter which AVI frame rate is used.
If this is true for all possible video frame rates (not just from AVI, but also from MKV, etc.), then we dont need to worry about more frame rate options (or custom frame rate), etc. It would be fine to know if WDTV works well (with no sync issues) with any kind of video frame rates. I will receive a WDTV soon (I still don't have one :))

I tested my PHILIPS DVP5980 and WDTV, both work whatever frame rate I use.

When did you test it, did you look at the the end of the file to see if there was no delay? The delay only becomes more apparent after +-30 minutes of movie and keeps increasing toward the end (with PAL AVI file and PAL .sub file as you explained).

P.S.: I tested with the following 3 players:
DVD LG DV256K
HT Philips HTS3011
DVD Proview DVP-816 (a Brazilian brand)

dhmk
13th May 2009, 06:46
zeurt,

Probably my previous information about ticks and frame rates was wrong. It appears that ticks have a standard conversion to milliseconds and is not depended on frame rate. I found some documents in the Internet about this, even in an Indian University (fortunately in English). Ticks actually is the way the system (player's) clock divides time (its frequency). Those documents do not report any other different time divisions, only one that initially thought it was connected to NTSC. A question remains why my initial information was wrong but it appears that facts confirm my later info.

So I made a decision to remove the whole frame rate thing from AVIAddXSubs. Ticks have now a constant relation to milliseconds regardless of the frame rate of the video.

I have an avi with 30FPS and works ok with WDTV. I haven't see it all, only a test of few minutes in the start but I don't think so I will get any problems. And idx/sub with "NTSC ticks" (?) appeared very well in sync.

Anyone interested can download again. Same version number.

zeurt
13th May 2009, 17:42
zeurt,
So I made a decision to remove the whole frame rate thing from AVIAddXSubs. Ticks have now a constant relation to milliseconds regardless of the frame rate of the video.

Thanks dhmk! You made yourself very clear. This subject seems resolved! :goodpost:

BlueKnight
14th May 2009, 22:22
dhmk,

I just found your program and thank you! DivxMux creates files that don't play nice with my PS3.

I am having an issue with AVIAddXSubs, tho. I am trying to create a .avi file with 3 audio tracks and 3 subtitle tracks. The file is about 2 hours long and 2.5 GB.

If I don't add the subtitles (so 1 video, 3 audio tracks) the PS3 will stream it. As soon as I add the subtitles I get "The data type is not supported."

Now here's the funny part. I did the same steps to make a smaller video (~240 MB). I verified that the video+3 audio tracks play on the PS3. Then I added the subtitles using AVIAddXSubs and it worked!

So, why does the sub-less 2.5 GB file play but the one with subs doesn't? I don't know but using GSpot I can see that the sub-less file is using a multi-part OpenDML formatted avi, when the subbed file is using "AVI v1.0".

I read in a previous post that you added OpenDML support for files over 4 GB, and that some users seem to be having luck with subs and their PS3 for really large files. Is it possible that the PS3 needs OpenDML avi's after the 2GB barrier?

Any help would be appreciated!

BlueKnight
15th May 2009, 01:51
OK, so I must have missed a step in my process on that 2.5 GB file because I redid it and now it works.

Process is:

1. Encode .avi (xvid or ffmpeg Mpeg 4) in HandBrake. (This file won't play on the PS3)

2. Remux video with AVIMux GUI (skipping this step results in a file that won't play.)

3. Add str or idx/sub subs to the result of #2 with AVIAddXSubs.

The file will now stream to the PS3 and play with switchable Audio (AC3, MP3) and switchable subtitles. Even though AVIAddXSubs remuxes the video from what I can tell, without step #2, your file won't stream to the PS3.

Thanks again for a great program!

newnews
20th June 2009, 00:09
Now I have another suggestion which to join Divx files. Usually the movies I downloaded contains two or three even more avi's. My thought is :
1. Have a checkbox or pushbutton for "join" feature in the main window of this program.
2. click "join", popup window let you choose which file to join in order
3. the program start to embed subtitle to 1st avi, and then second avi,..., after all avi's converted to .divx, the program starts to join all .divx to one.

Of course there is the program to manually join avi's and subtitles, however, since AVIAddXSubs is a great program, it would be nice to handle this.

Betsy25
21st June 2009, 02:58
I have this .avi Xvid file which always makes AviAddXSubs crash when muxing reaches 100%, and the output file doesn't play.

The original .avi file plays perfect, and so does ConvertXtoDVD with it, only AviAddXSubs seems to stumble over it.:confused:

= MuxXSubs: fWrite: (RT) The supplied user buffer is not valid for the requested operation.
- Line 132

Screenshots:
http://i43.tinypic.com/o6wtxs.png
http://i44.tinypic.com/1zqamw2.png
http://i43.tinypic.com/2cijhw1.png

dhmk
21st June 2009, 05:47
Betsy25,

If the process is not complete (program crash!) the generated file is not complete. Some parts of the original file are corrupted. Will notice it when the player reach the corrupted frames in the file.

Try a load/save with avidemux that may fix it. Also try unchecking "unpack packed bitstream".

If your player supports idx/sub (select idx/sub at SUB1) you can generate those instead of XSUB. Check "Do not copy avi when no XSUB" at "Configuration 2", to avoid the recreation of the original avi file.

Betsy25
22nd June 2009, 19:30
Betsy25,

If the process is not complete (program crash!) the generated file is not complete. Some parts of the original file are corrupted. Will notice it when the player reach the corrupted frames in the file.

Try a load/save with avidemux that may fix it. Also try unchecking "unpack packed bitstream".

If your player supports idx/sub (select idx/sub at SUB1) you can generate those instead of XSUB. Check "Do not copy avi when no XSUB" at "Configuration 2", to avoid the recreation of the original avi file.

Hi dhmk,

It seems my player doesn't support the idx/sub method, with "unpack packed bitstream" unchecked, I still got the same error.

Another thing, I don't know if this is on my system only, but the File selection box says something about seperating items with | but that doesn't seem to work, I always have to use the "open file" dialog, and there it only allows selecting *.avi files, then I have to do the same, setting it to *.srt, and then I can start muxing, couldn't it be possible to make the "Open file" dialog to show *.* so we could select both the xxx.avi and the xxx.srt in 1 single operation ?

Anyway, thanks for this great tool !

EDIT: One last thing, Is it normal that NO SINGLE pc software player (MPC-HC, Zoomplayer, The KMPlayer, ...) is able to show the subs ? Only MediaInfo is able to tell me there are embedded subs, but no single media player detects them, nor give an option to show them.

dhmk
23rd June 2009, 04:51
Betsy25,

In case of idx/sub and "Do not copy avi when no XSUB" checked the avi will not be processed so you will not get the error. Just ensure that idx/sub is selected too in SUB1.

Because avi and srt is required to have the same name (except extension) there is no need to select both. The one is enough and the program can find the other. You can use many methods to start processing. Drag&drop to the program, to its icon or shortcut, through open file dialog.

The program is for hardware players and not for PC. At PC you can use DivX Player from www.divx.com.

Read ATTENTION section in AVIAddXSubs site for more info on what to do in your PC. You can read README.htm in the zip for more detailed info for AVIADdXSubs.

Betsy25
23rd June 2009, 08:01
OK, Thanks dhmk, now I understand.

The only thing that could be better is some option to manually set the border at which a subtitle will be spread among 2 lines, right now there's too much margin to the left & right, resulting in too fast line doubling, while still leaving too much "free space" around the subs horizontally.

All too much, we end up with 3 (or 2) lines of subs while there is the resolution space to properly do it on 2 (or 1) lines.

dhmk
5th July 2009, 07:53
New version 9.3

"Break long lines" is replaced by a new option "Rearrange Subtitle Text (Optimize)". This option takes three values. "When very long", "Always" and "Never". Now the user has the option to optimize (rearrange) subtitle text in every case, even when the text is calculated it fits in the given resolution. In this case, the user, selects "Always".
Added option "Overscan". This option affects the operation of "Rearrange Subtitle Text" option mentioned above. If checked then the defined horizontal resolution it shrinks about 13% to adapt to the overscan effect that TV sets have when connected to the player with analogue connections. Some part of the picture, left and right, is cut off or goes out of screen. This effect it doesn't appear when HDMI is used. Please note that until this version "Overscan" it was considered by default checked. So now the user can uncheck this option if HDMI is used and wishes the "Rearrange" option to utilize a bigger width in its text optimizations.
Minor bug fixes.

dhmk
13th July 2009, 14:20
They telling me (at least one person) that v9.x do not work with PS3. The user asserts that v8.3 still works as ever did.

To my knowledge nothing has changed in XSUB incorporation (in 9.x) that could affect specifically PS3. I know that other players, like my PHILIPS work.

Can someone confirm that PS3 still works the same with 9.x?

Thanks.

Betsy25
14th July 2009, 23:55
dhmk,

I can only tell you that Avira Antivir now flags all your files as trojans.
I have submitted them as False Positives, and that will be fixed (hopefully) in the next update.
I'll check the PS3 compat ASAP.

dhmk
15th July 2009, 05:54
Betsy25,

It appears that Avira finds a virus to any executable generated through my programming tool (CalcIt) and of course AVIAddXSubs. Very annoying situation.

Thanks for your action to correct this.

arifkarim
24th July 2009, 12:17
Hi, dhmk.
Thnx for such a great program. Some weeks earlier I proposed to add utf-8 / unicode encoding for xsub subtitles. Has it been any progress in that field?

Arif

dhmk
24th July 2009, 21:41
Yes, I have already done some work on this. It will be support for UTF8 srt files but needs some testing with RTL languages. After finishing something I am on at this moment I will do the tests and if all look ok I will proceed in releasing it.

jugaor
30th July 2009, 23:49
Hi, dhmk.
Please, I have a question: why when I only select the "Unpack bitstream" option (No subtitles), a frame counter appears as in normal operation?
Do you know if "MPEG4 Modifier" (http://www.moitah.net) uses a different unpacking method that the yours? Because MP4M is very quick to do so, while the delay is longer with AVXS (DIVX/XVID, the same).
I trust more in AVSX, of course, but that curiosity remains...

Thank you very much.
jugaor

PS: Long ago I wrote a post about reading errors with xsubed videos on DVD-RW. I could not do more testing, sorry, now I have a new job with less spare time... Then I bought a new burner and closed the case :D

dhmk
31st July 2009, 05:31
Hi Jugaor,

The "frame counter" serves the function of a progress bar. Of course "unpacking bitstream" needs processing at frame level. Generally MPEG4 Modifier it doesn't do the job so much faster, because a lot of disk IO is involved and because you have to create an equivalent file and not to make some modifications to the existing one. So you need a time bigger than a simple copy of the file. But maybe is a bit faster because AVIAddXSubs is written in an interpreted language and "MPEG4 Modifier" in C# (.NET). But I assure you that the process of the two programs is almost the same, even exactly the same.

jugaor
2nd August 2009, 19:07
Thank you very much for your answer!
Additional data: MediaInfo reports that the output files are equivalent in both cases (smaller that the original one), with an unique difference: AVXS adds "Titles" to both streams ('Video', 'Audio'), MP4M don't.
The strange thing is that the AVXS generated is a few bytes smaller that MP4M's. :sly:

dhmk
3rd August 2009, 12:52
I developed a new application to convert idx/sub files to srt.

Its name is IdxSub2Srt. Anyone interested can find it here (http://www.calcitapp.com/IdxSub2Srt.php).

Please note that is distributed in the same zip package as AVIAddXSubs. Some important files are shared between IdxSub2Srt and AVIAddxSubs and I think that anyone interested probably will put them in the same directory.

dashali
7th August 2009, 17:14
Problem with AVIAddXSubs:
AVIAddXSubs allow to add up to 8 srt or a multi-lang(up to 8 lang) sub/idx, but, unfortunately, dosn't allow to add some one-lang sub/idx. Also it changes main vertical position of sub/idx...

dhmk
8th August 2009, 05:20
dashali,

I don't understand very much your problem. Can you be more clear and specific. What exactly you try to do and fails?

About vertical position, idx/sub have their own page with the VP option at idx/sub tab (for XSUB incorporation). Have you enter there the wished value?

Betsy25
17th August 2009, 14:12
Hi dhmk,

The latest version is great, but perhaps it's possible, when using "Rearrange subtitles", the program cuts the lines in 2 but mostly ending up something like this :

This is a very long line of subtitles cut in
half.

... but perhaps couldn't it be a little smarter, in the sense that, only when AviAddXSubs decides a line should be splitted in half, it would try to evenly distribute the lengths.
Like this :
This is a very long line
of subtitles cut in half.

Thanks in advance !:)

dhmk
18th August 2009, 06:48
Betsy25,

I beleave you have right. There is some room of improvement here.

guitarbug
6th October 2009, 08:04
first of all,thank you for your great software,it works perfectly on my mostly avi file.:thanks:
but ,some avi file after AVIAddXSubs became un-supported by my player.

the information below may help to you to solve the problem:
1,OS : xp sp2,code page:chninese
2,File :
Night.at.the.Museum.2006.DVDRip.XviD.AC3.CD1-BKL.avi
the srt can be download from this link :
http://usfile0.shooter.cn/?hash=a0072171708e0a0b6d23940e4d443a31&safeway=1
3,AVIAddXSubs : 9.3,the configuration is attach below :

<CALCIT>
<L>
<F ID="FVER">20</F>
<F ID="FONTSZ">22|22|22|22|22|22|22|22|22</F>
<F ID="FONTWD">100|100|100|100|100|100|100|100|100</F>
<F ID="ALIGN">2|2|2|2|2|2|2|2|2</F>
<F ID="BRK">1|1|1|1|1|1|1|1|1</F>
<F
ID="FONTFAM">Verdana|Verdana|Verdana|Verdana|Verdana|Verdana|Verdana|Verdana|Verdana</F>
<F ID="LANGID">23|41|41|41|41|41|41|41|41</F>
<F ID="CHARSET">5|5|5|5|5|5|5|5|5</F>
<F ID="OPAQUE">0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0</F>
<F
ID="TXCOLOR">16777215|16777215|16777215|16777215|16777215|16777215|16777215|16777215|16777215</F>
<F ID="OTCOLOR">0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0</F>
<F ID="BOLD">1|1|1|1|1|1|1|1|1</F>
<F ID="SRTEXT">|-2|-3|-4|-5|-6|-7|-8|0</F>
<F ID="OUTLNSZ">2|2|2|2|2|2|2|2|2</F>
<F ID="SCRMODE">1|1|1|1|1|1|1|1|1</F>
<F ID="SCRW">720|720|720|720|720|720|720|720|720</F>
<F ID="SCRH">576|576|576|576|576|576|576|576|576</F>
<F ID="FULLSCR">0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0</F>
<F ID="OVERSCAN">1|1|1|1|1|1|1|1|1</F>
<F ID="CENTER">360|320|320|320|320|320|320|320|320</F>
<F ID="SUBLINE">500|450|450|450|450|450|450|450|450</F>
<F ID="SUBTYPE">1|1|1|1|1|1|1|1|1</F>
<F ID="DUR">1000</F>
<F ID="CC">1</F>
<F ID="PATH">.\</F>
<F ID="OUTDIR"></F>
<F ID="UNPACK">0</F>
<F ID="TS">0</F>
<F ID="USEAVI">0</F>
<F ID="DELORIG">0</F>
<F ID="ATONCE">0</F>
<F ID="ENDATONCE">0</F>
<F ID="CHPINTERV">0</F>
<F ID="MOVSRT">0</F>
<F ID="NOAVICOPY">0</F>
<F ID="NOIDXCONV">0</F>
<F ID="USEYUV">0</F>
<F ID="IDXLNG">el,en</F>
<F ID="IDXMODE">1</F>
<F ID="SUBMODE">1</F>
</L>
</CALCIT>

and the option of "Unpack packed bitstream" is already unchecked and the operation completed.
also i load/save the avi through avidemux ,but after AVIAddXSubs the file however
became un-supported by my player.:(

PS:I also got a tool named AviSub,it handled the file correctly,i think your tool can do it also,thanks.

dhmk
6th October 2009, 13:50
As I see the movie has two parts. The second part works?

Can you check the output to another player?

The file plays normally in your computer?

Unfortunately I cannot do much to locate what happens with this file. The last 3 years me and thousands of users never had any such problem with our players so I cannot think what is going wrong with your player and the specific file.

If this happened only once is not a real problem.

Try to answer the questions above.

Paulcat
9th October 2009, 17:58
I thought discussion of your illegally downloaded movies was forbidden? Somewhere in the FORUM RULES?

guitarbug
10th October 2009, 02:04
As I see the movie has two parts. The second part works?

Can you check the output to another player?

The file plays normally in your computer?

Unfortunately I cannot do much to locate what happens with this file. The last 3 years me and thousands of users never had any such problem with our players so I cannot think what is going wrong with your player and the specific file.

If this happened only once is not a real problem.

Try to answer the questions above.
>As I see the movie has two parts. The second part works?
the second does not work either.

>The file plays normally in your computer?
yes.even after AVIAddXSubs,it also plays normal in my computer

b66pak
6th February 2010, 19:17
@dhmk it is possible to add the option to split the output to avoid the 4gb limit for FAT32 usbflash disks?
_

dhmk
6th February 2010, 22:36
There are programs to do that. I am sure that you can do it with avidemux. I am sure with many others too.

Such feature is out of scope for AVIAddXSubs.

Generally is very rare to have a player able to play such big files (over 4GB, of high definition I presume) and not be able to handle NTFS file system. Are you sure that your player is not able to handle NTFS, and format the usb flash with this file system?

b66pak
10th February 2010, 19:55
i am talking about PS3 (Playstation 3)...it can handle +4gb .avi files form DVD-ROM, internal HDD and network shares...external HDDs or usb flashdisks are limited to FAT32...
_

dhmk
11th February 2010, 07:48
b66pak,

I will look on how I can add a separate utility or include it as a feature in the program, as it can help the many PS3 users.

I wonder if many PS3 users need something like that.

b66pak
11th February 2010, 18:21
in this days high speed 16gb usb flashdisks are not so expensive so nobody have to deal with dvds or network shares...
_

zeurt
22nd February 2010, 23:26
Hi dhmk,

I have a request: The possibility to import Chapters times from a .txt file. It is easy to extract these chapters times from a DVD Video using programs like PGCDemux or ChapterXtractor (faster). If we could import it with AVIAddXSubs it would be nice. We could create a DivX file from a DVD (e.g. with AutoGK), keeping original subtitles (extracting original .idx .sub) and original chapters, muxing everything.

There is a program called DivXMediaBuilder (I think you should know it) that can import chapters times the way I described above. Thread about this program here: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=109622

Here an explanation (from the author) on how to configure ChapterXtractor in a way it works with DivXMediaBuilder:

"How to set up ChapterXtractor to load chapters

Open the ChapterXtractor.ini file.
Use an unused preset and put these values

Preset <a number>=DivXMediaBuilder
Format <a number>=%hh:%mm:%ss \n
Header <a number>=[CHAPTERS]\n
Footer <a number>=

Example
Preset 7=DivXMediaBuilder
Format 7=%hh:%mm:%ss \n
Header 7=[CHAPTERS]\n
Footer 7=

Run ChapterXtractor and load your file.
After go to Format tab, select from Presets the DivXMediaBuilder and hit the "Save data" button.

Now you are ready to use the chapters."

dhmk, in case you decide to make something similar, supporting ChapterXtractor, the instuctions above would be the same but changing "DivXMediaBuilder" by "AVIAddXSubs".
The program PGCDemux that generates celltimes.txt could be supported too.

I'm sorry if I'm asking too much. I don't know if you have time or interest in this new feature.

Thanks in advance.

dhmk
23rd February 2010, 07:51
zeurt,

AVIAddXSubs already can add chapters to divx file. Check "Configuration 2". But only every a specific time interval decided by the user.

If I remember well I was using this program (DivXMediaBuilder) to help me in in the reverse engineering for this feature.

Just to load a txt file to configure chapters is not far away of what is done already.

To be honest I have not much interest in doing more on this (chapter) field. If I found myself in the right mood I will look on how I will add the possibility to load such chapters file if present. I will have your suggestion in my mind.

Generally is not very good to extract idx/sub from dvd and reinsert in a divx file because subtitles will not have the quality of PC made subtitles. Personally I would prefer to convert idx/sub to srt and then choose the way the subtitles will be recreated as bitmaps, through AVIAddXSubs. I have include IdxSub2Srt in AVIAddXSubs package.

zeurt
23rd February 2010, 15:45
OK dhmk!

At the right moment I can add chapters from a .txt file to .avi with DivXMediaBuilder. And I can add subtitles to .avi with your great program.
However I can't do both things: add chapters from .txt and add subtitles to the same .avi/.divx.
If I add chapters first with DivXMediaBuilder, and then add subtitles with AVIAddXsubs, the chapters are lost.
And I'm having problems to do the inverse process. When I first add subtitles with AVIAddXSubs, and then try to load the .divx to DivXMediaBuilder for add chapters, an error always occurs: "Error getting info from file". The last version of this program is from 2007. I think this is a bug (others report the same error in this situation).

Anyway, thanks for your quick answer and for your kindness!

vartaxe
7th March 2010, 20:48
would be nice a feature like outputing a single *.divx file.

for instances when we have *cd1*.avi and *cd2*.avi to only one *.divx

dhmk
7th March 2010, 22:36
You can easily merge the two files through avidemux app. Then you have to merge the two srt. You can do it with Subtitle Workshop. There is a function specifically for this.

Both apps are freeware.

After that you use AVIAddxSubs in the usual way.

b66pak
8th March 2010, 17:58
b66pak,

I will look on how I can add a separate utility or include it as a feature in the program, as it can help the many PS3 users.

any news?
_

dhmk
8th March 2010, 22:43
b66pak,

You can do the reverse. Split the file in 2 (or more) through avidemux or VirtualDub. Then use Subtitle WorkShop to split the srt. Then use AVIAddXSubs as usual.

There are not much chances to automate this myself. It can be done pretty easy with the above freeware tools.

aL3x_76
14th March 2010, 22:22
Hi, Im new here.
Ive been using aviaddx for some time now, but recently I started having a problem... Some subs appear to high on the screen...
Ive tested different values for the VP but they always get in the meddle of the screen (vertically). The files are usually 1280X544.

I tested 660 in VP as showed in post #150 but I get an error saying the the value is bigger than the movie resolution so I should decrease it or increase the resolution.

I just have this problem for a few weeks because until now I always used the default and they always came out ok.

Any ideas please?

Thankx in advanced ;)

Alex

deank
14th March 2010, 22:33
Did you set Subtitle Bitmap option to - (o) Custom / 1280 x 720?

aL3x_76
15th March 2010, 00:28
Hi,

no...
I put 1280X544 :(
I thought it was suppose to be the exact movie resolution.

Just tried it... I cant believe how stupid I'am.
It was this simple all along. lol

Thankx deank. Ive speared me a lot of search hours. ;)

All ok now.

Best regards,
Alex

aL3x_76
15th March 2010, 22:41
Hi, Im back :(

Just got an error:
= MuxXSubs: (RT) Invalid array index. Array is empty - Line 1446

Any idea what wrong?
Ive tried 2 different files but got the same error.

Thank you,
Alex

dhmk
16th March 2010, 06:51
Try a load/save through avidemux that may fix inconsistencies in the structure of those files.

I assume that you use the latest AVIAddXSubs version.

aL3x_76
16th March 2010, 16:08
Hi,
I did that, ;)
I always do a load/save of the movies in avidemux after converting from mkvs to avi.
And I'm using V.9.4

Just tried it again and still the same error :s

dhmk
16th March 2010, 16:35
Try unchecking "unpack packed bitstream" option.

terminataaar
13th April 2010, 20:01
When I add idx/sub subtitles AVIAddXSubs writes GR country code into subtitles in DivX file. Can I change it?

deank
13th April 2010, 21:20
Just go to "Configuration 1" / "SUB 1" and select the proper language from the "Language code" drop-down list.

Btw if anyone is interested in a workaround for creating subtitled divx files with AVIAddXSubs both for Playstation 2 (using SMS player) and Playstation 3 (in one file) - let me know.

terminataaar
13th April 2010, 23:28
Just go to "Configuration 1" / "SUB 1" and select the proper language from the "Language code" drop-down list.
It's work for the srt subtitles (SUB 1 - SUB 8) and there are no such option for idx/sub (last tab in Configuration 1). idx file has info about language and AVIAddXSubs add this info into DivX file, but also it add Greece country ID.

For example:
# Language index in use
langidx: 0

# UKRAINIAN
id: uk, index: 0
# Decomment next line to activate alternative name in DirectVobSub / Windows Media Player 6.x
alt: Ukrainian

Format : DivX Subtitle
Codec ID : DXSB
Codec ID/Info : Subtitle in AVI from DivX networks
Width : 720 pixels
Height : 400 pixels
Resolution : 4 bit
Stream size : 62,3 KiB (0%)
Title : Subtitle - uk-GR;02

dhmk
14th April 2010, 06:51
terminataaar,

I added -GR (some random country code) in subtitle identification literal of the subtitle because some players (and DivX Player in Windows, at some point) need something there to read correctly the language id. It is displayed somewhere (at playback) this country code and bothers you?

I don't see any use to add another option just to set this mostly useless information.

terminataaar
14th April 2010, 17:12
DivX Player introduce language of subtitles as some_language (Greece) (not random, only GR Greece)... It's looks like Greece is too multilingual country.

b66pak
14th April 2010, 18:53
Btw if anyone is interested in a workaround for creating subtitled divx files with AVIAddXSubs both for Playstation 2 (using SMS player) and Playstation 3 (in one file) - let me know.

i am interested...
_

dhmk
15th April 2010, 05:49
terminataaar,

OK, -GR means Greece but I was expecting not to appear anywhere as it is true to all players I have tested. Anyway I will add an option to set this.

deank
15th April 2010, 17:46
i am interested...
_

:) Ok... I have a PS3 in one room and a PS2 in the other so for the last few years I'd create one .divx for the PS3 and either copy .avi+.srt or create another .divx for my PS2...

Few days ago I was thinking there is no need to do that and it is better to have one .divx for both Playstations.

Start up your PS3 and go to:

SETTINGS / Video Settings / HDD content subtitle Language

I was never able to make PS3 auto-display "Bulgarian" subtitles created with AVIAddXSubs, so I select "ENGLISH" as HDD subtitles. I suggest that you do the same.

No setup is required for Playstation 2 (using SMS player).

2) Start AviAddXSubs.

We need to set SUB1 settings (1st subtitle stream) which will be used by the Playstation2 and SUB2 (and if you wish SUB3...) to be used by Playstation3

http://www.deanbg.com/AviAddXSub/aviaxs_01.jpg

Now in SUB1 we set the properties for subtitles to be used by the Playstation 2. In my case (PAL region) I use 720x576, CP=350, VP=535... If you're in NTSC land use 720x480 and VP=440.

The important thing here is to set the LANGUAGE CODE to something DIFFERENT than the one you set in your Playstation 3 / HDD subtitle setting.

Since I used ENGLISH as a default-on subtitle in my PS3, here I select Bulgarian (BG).

By default PS2 plays the 1st subtitle track and PS3 won't enable this track, because it doesn't match the settings (English).

3) Go to SUB2 tab

http://www.deanbg.com/AviAddXSub/aviaxs_02.jpg

These are the subtitle settings that your PS3 will use. Select the same language as the one you set in your PS3 / HDD subtitle settings (in my case English). It is important that IT IS NOT THE SAME as the language code you set in SUB1 (for the PS2).

Set CP=270 and VP=460. As we discussed it more than an year ago, PS3 requires different CENTER (CP) setting and it is not equal to 720/2, so just use the values you see in the screen-shot. Also, VP is different.

You can set SUB3 with different settings for 2nd subtitles for your PS3 (I usually set SUB2 for opaque box and SUB3 without it).

Dean

b66pak
15th April 2010, 18:36
thanks a lot...
_

terminataaar
16th April 2010, 19:09
Anyway I will add an option to set this.
Thanks a lot!

dooms9day
28th April 2010, 13:44
Hi to all
when v mux subtitle in AVI using AviaddXsub.. the subtitle show only on DivX player...is there any way to hard code the subtitle with AVIaddXsub..and show the subtitle in any (computer) media player.?

dhmk
28th April 2010, 14:12
Hi,

Best use AVIAddxSubs with hardware players. At PC is more convenient to use DirectVobSub.

dooms9day
28th April 2010, 15:16
DirectVobSub...got it.

magod
12th May 2010, 12:27
hi
thank you so much for this useful program it is help me so much

Hi to all
when v mux subtitle in AVI using AviaddXsub.. the subtitle show only on DivX player...is there any way to hard code the subtitle with AVIaddXsub..and show the subtitle in any (computer) media player.?

i have same problem becuse after i finshed the pross
some time i find there is wrong in configuration and i can see it until running it in PS3 then i have to return my work

dhmk
12th May 2010, 12:43
magod,

With AVIAddXSubs no, is for hardware players and not for PC. At PC use DirectVobSub.

dhmk
31st July 2010, 16:33
Latest Version 9.7:

Now the audio stream text description (language info etc) is retained in the creation of the new file with the incorporated XSUB subtitles
Now is possible for the user to create chapters not based in a specified time interval but also at time points that specifically chooses. This is accomplished through a separated text file with same name as the avi but with extension .chp. This file contains a list with time points representing the wished chapters. The time points are expressed with the familiar srt time info: 00:00:00:000 (Hour, minutes, seconds, milliseconds). Every chapter time point is placed in a different line in the text file.
Now Right Click context menu works on srt files too.

zeurt
1st August 2010, 23:03
Latest Version 9.7:

Now the audio stream text description (language info etc) is retained in the creation of the new file with the incorporated XSUB subtitles
Now is possible for the user to create chapters not based in a specified time interval but also at time points that specifically chooses. This is accomplished through a separated text file with same name as the avi but with extension .chp. This file contains a list with time points representing the wished chapters. The time points are expressed with the familiar srt time info: 00:00:00:000 (Hour, minutes, seconds, milliseconds). Every chapter time point is placed in a different line in the text file.
Now Right Click context menu works on srt files too.

dhmk,
Thank you very much for this last version! :thanks:
Now, the only program that can create .divx files with custom chapters times, and works with Windows XP SP3, Vista and Seven is AVIAddXSubs!! The other program that could do this task was DivXMediaBuilder, but it is only working with Windows XP SP2.

I've tested this new feature a little, and it is working pretty fine!
I've notice a minor "bug" or something. There is a delay of 1 or 2 seconds on Chapters Times. For example: when I choose Chapters Times 00:00:15:000 and 00:00:30:000, they are in fact showed at 17 seconds, and 31 seconds...
I suspected that it is caused by the "Menu.avi" but I have to do more tests to be sure.

For anyone interested in get Chapters Times from a DVD and put them in a .divx file, I recommend the following:
-Download ChapterXtractor: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/ChapterXtractor
-Open ChapterXtractor folder, and open ChapterXtractor.ini
-Create a new preset like this:
Preset 7=AVIAddXSubs
Format 7=%hh:%mm:%ss.%ms\n
Header 7=
Footer 7=
-Run ChapterXtractor.exe.
-Open the IFO file from the DVD (VIDEO_TS Folder) you want to extract chapter times.
-Go to Format and choose the AVIAddXSubs Preset (that you created before).
-Save the .txt file that contain all the chapters times.
-Rename this .txt file to the same name of .avi that will be used in AVIAddSubs 9.7, and put the .chp extension (they must be at the same folder, of course).
-Run AVIAddXSubs, setup the subtitle part as usual, and start it.
-The Chapters Times from .chp file will be added perfectly!

dhmk, the Context Menu .srt option is very welcome too!

Thanks again!

dhmk
2nd August 2010, 05:24
zeurt,

I've tested this new feature a little, and it is working pretty fine!
I've notice a minor "bug" or something. There is a delay of 1 or 2 seconds on Chapters Times. For example: when I choose Chapters Times 00:00:15:000 and 00:00:30:000, they are in fact showed at 17 seconds, and 31 seconds...
I suspected that it is caused by the "Menu.avi" but I have to do more tests to be sure.

The program always adds automatically a chapter at 00:00:00:000 (video start). Also have in mind that it searches the first "key" frame after this time, one that can be decoded without "help" from previous or next frames. That may explain the difference in time.

Menu.avi is something separate which is just attached to the avi and is not easy to cause such problems. It is loaded before any initialization of the avi itself. Represents the "menu" of the avi that may contains buttons and such.

zeurt
2nd August 2010, 21:33
OK dhmk,

The difference I noticed should actually by caused by the Key Frames as you told.

Thanks!

Ghitulescu
15th November 2010, 13:38
I have tested a long queue of subtitling tools and this program of yours seems to be the best of all. I use SRT with ANSI encodings and several tags, like <i>, that has to be converted to DVD sup. I do this in several steps, as AviAddXsub outputs IDX/SUB only, but this is no issue :). The killing feature of your program is the possibility to embed Italics everywhere in the line (like We go to Hilton tonight). Most other subtitling software convert the whole line into italics, should they support italics at all ;)

I noticed several issues however.
1. when a long character is in Italics at the end of the line it would be cropped (known issue with TTF in windows)
2. the increase duration is always selected to be 1 second, which value needs to be reset by hand and I forget to do this from tome to time :( Better would be to be set at 0.
3. I'm not really sure whether the center alignement is correctly done, on my tests it seems to be a little biased (same amount for all lines).

I suppose that adding a blank space at the end of such lines would easily solve problem 1.

dhmk
16th November 2010, 06:22
Ghitulescu,

when a long character is in Italics at the end of the line it would be cropped (known issue with TTF in windows)

I haven't observe this but maybe try checking "Full Screen" option.

the increase duration is always selected to be 1 second, which value needs to be reset by hand and I forget to do this from tome to time Better would be to be set at 0.

The program saves user's configuration on exit so you don't have to change any option value every time you use the program. This is doesn't happens in your case? Have you unzip the program in a directory from where you always run it?

I'm not really sure whether the center alignement is correctly done, on my tests it seems to be a little biased (same amount for all lines).

The center alignment is controlled through "Center At" option. Maybe you have something to change there. But, if it is not just an impression of yours (when lines have different amount of text because of long words, etc), is the players firmware that sometimes takes some decisions on how to display subtitles. From program's view a simple mathematical formula is applied: (ScreeWidth-SubtitleWidth)/2.

Ghitulescu
16th November 2010, 10:29
I haven't observe this but maybe try checking "Full Screen" option.

I understand that your software is directed to AVI owners and I use it in this respect "improperly" ie to generate IDX/SUB then SUP for DVDs. Which DVDs are watched on standalones not on PCs. I thought that 95% keeps account of the overscan so that the subtitles can be seen integrally on the TV. Am I wrong? In this case I would add myself a space at the end of any italics character, should it be at the end of a line.

dhmk
16th November 2010, 11:10
Ghitulescu,

Program basic job is to generate/incorporate subtitles to view videos in DVD/DivX players and in media players in general - not PC. I don't know if there are reasons to do what you do or is the result of some misunderstanding. It looks to me that what you have to do is to incorporate XSUB subtitles in your avi and view them in the player. Why to convert srt to idx/sub and then to sup?

XSUB are specifically for avi but idx/sub for any kind of video file as they are separate files that accompany the video.

The crop of Italics I though it was on subtitles well in viewable area of your TV. If subtitles go out of your TV screen then you have to use smaller numbers in SubWidth option (less than 95% you have already).

Ghitulescu
16th November 2010, 11:30
It looks to me that what you have to do is to incorporate XSUB subtitles in your avi and view them in the player. Why to convert srt to idx/sub and then to sup?

No, I don't use AVIs, nor Divx or any other similar media. I use only industrial standards, as they are the only ones that allow a proper backup. I also do not play multimedia on a PC.

Your software creates the best bitmaps I've seen (on par with other 2 software) and it honours the Italics. To bad I discovered it only few days ago. So, basically, I convert the SRTs to IDX/SUB then the pair to SUP which are remuxed to DVD.

So did you tested with italic lines that end in "long letters", like Hey! or should or Where?.....On my computer the red letters are cropped, as they fall partially outside the grid, due to their inclination - known issue, see however here for a better explanation -> http://www.positioniseverything.net/explorer/italicbug-ie.html

dhmk
16th November 2010, 12:09
Yes you have right, there is a small crop but really never observed it before. It happens only with a few letters, in case they are at the end of the line and this line is the bigger of all in the subtitle. But even the crop is difficult to notice, in the upper part of the letters. So it likes in AVIAddXSub's preview window.

Kyo47
25th November 2010, 21:29
SD Source (624x352) @ 576p: (CP=240, VP=450)
http://mkv2avi.deanbg.com/SD_576p.JPG

SD Source (624x352) @ 720p: (CP=240, VP=450)
http://mkv2avi.deanbg.com/SD_720p.JPG

HD Source (1280x544) @ 576p: (CP=480, VP=660)
http://mkv2avi.deanbg.com/HD_576p.JPG

HD Source (1280x544) @ 720p: (CP=480, VP=660)
http://mkv2avi.deanbg.com/HD_720p.JPG

HD Source (1280x544) @ 1080i: (CP=480, VP=660)
http://mkv2avi.deanbg.com/HD_1080i.JPG

HD Source (1280x544) @ 1080p: (CP=480, VP=660)
http://mkv2avi.deanbg.com/HD_1080p.JPG

HD Source (1920x1080) @ 1080p: (CP=720, VP=660) Arial Bold 46 (not 36!)
http://mkv2avi.deanbg.com/HD_1920.JPG

HD Source (1920x1080) @ 1080p: (CP=720, VP=660) Arial Italic 46 (not 36!)
http://mkv2avi.deanbg.com/HD_1920_italic.jpg

---

All XSUBs are created with AVIAddXsubs with CP = (width * 0.375).

Conclusion: At all TV resolutions (576p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p) PS3 displays subtitles correctly for sources with width 624..1280.

I will test with a BluRay Demo Video 1920x1080p to check for settings and will report again. After the test with it I will provide values for incorporating in AVIAddXSubs, if the author incorporates an [x] Playstaion 3 checkbox in 'Subtitle Bitmap/Position' options.

p.s. I'm not really sure how CP and VP values are integrated into the XSUB stream, but it seems that PS3 ignores both values in some cases (only when [x] full screen is not checked in AVIAddXSubs), so my guess is that CP/VP positions are ignored by PS3 when the console finds a way to place them accurately. :)

You may have noticed that with a VP=450 for a 624x352 source it is all okay and with VP=660 for a 576p resolution it is all okay, too. BUT with 1080p videos VP should stay less than 700.

----------------

1920x1080 Hi-Definition Source:

It seems that PS3 will not accept: VP > 720 - (font_height_in_pixels), so the same settings as for 1280x... movie are used for 1920x1080p source, but with CP=720. Font can grow up to 46p Arial Bold with Outline and it will handle about 48 symbols per line. Then again, in some cases PS3 would accept higher values (VP>720) but it either ignores the value or subtitles will _show_off_screen_ :)

So settings should be:

X = WIDTH * 0.375

WIDTH | HEIGHT | CP= | VP= |
----------------------------
< 0721 | <0577 | (X) | 450 | i.e. 624x...., 640x...., 720x.... videos
< 1281 | <0721 | (X) | 660 | i.e. 1280x.... videos
< 1981 | <1081 | (X) | 660 | i.e. 1920x.... videos

UPDATE:

For PLAYSTATION 2 (with SMS player (http://home.casema.nl/eugene_plotnikov/)):

http://mkv2avi.deanbg.com/ps2.jpg

Arial Bold 25 with Outline=1 looks great with:

CP=360
VP=550

Works for XviD resolutions from 624x352 upto 936x528

These resolutions w/ CP&VP values are hardcoded in mymkv2avi_gui (http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=142422) if XSUB option is used with AVIAddXSubs (customized for PC, PS2, PS3).

If i put size 46 on my subtitles in 1080p movie, the subtitles goes to much to the right on the screen of my LCD TV and i only can read it to the middle, so i have to put size 30 to see ll the subs completely. Or are there other settings for this to see large subtitles?:goodpost:

Moksu
5th January 2011, 14:44
Hi

I where wondering is it possible to add multiple subtitles for .divx file?
Since i'm not able to do that at the moment, only adds SUB 1 in movie file.

dhmk
5th January 2011, 18:32
Every SUB 1-8 represents one subtitle. You can add up to 8. Please read the on-line guide. Especially about "SRT Extension" option.

jeanvaljean
21st January 2011, 19:28
I have been using for a while aviaddxsub , I have not found yet something similar (only avisub, but I reckon this is not that good) the only issue to be a very good program is that in some sentences, the edges of the letters are irregular, the shape of the writing is not smooth . I have tryed all sorts of settings from rearrenging the subtitles ti outlie..etc. Is there any way to solve this problem? Thanks

dhmk
22nd January 2011, 06:42
It is almost the best you can get given the limited number of colors that can be used. There is no text anti-aliasing (smoothness) and is not possible, especially for XSUB subtitles. If you magnify text in your screen you will see that is not black all over as it seems but the edges have many different colors that make the eye in a distance to think that the letters have round corners.

mick4tea
29th January 2011, 20:15
Hi, I updated from v9.4 to v9.9. Got the same configuration as v9.4 but now when I incorporate xsub (from srt) subtitles with chapters every 10 minutes, as I always did, the last chapter is repeated for ever after video file gets to the final on playing, so I have to use "stop" button to end it up. My player is Philips 3360K ultra-divx. This never happened before with v9.4 since I already checked it out with my old videos. Of course, I didn't change player set-up nor "repeat" function on remote control. If no chapter is added perhaps the whole video will be played again and again. I didn't try this. Possible bug? Am I doing something wrong? I haven't tested the other versions. I am using v9.4 again and that problem disappeared. AVIAddXSubs runs great!!! Thanks in advance.

dhmk
5th February 2011, 12:47
mick4tea,

Fixed. You can download again.

Ghitulescu
1st March 2011, 14:43
i did, but soft/hardware player doesn't show subtitle.
v9.9

How about reading the help?

n case subtitles do not appear in your hardware DivX Player

1. Be sure that subtitles are activated through your remote control. Is there a list with subtitles when you press the button for subtitles? Note that this will happen when the avi starts playing. Not before. So wait to finish initialization and start playback.
2. Test with all available options in "Mark DivX as".
3. Test with "Full Screen" checked and unchecked.
4. Use various values in "Vertical Position" (VP). You can create many subtitles from the same srt with different VP. See user guide on how. Smaller VP moves subtitles up in the screen, greater moves them down.
5. In some players equipped with USB port, XSUB subtitles do not appear when the avi is placed in a device connected to this port. Try also a CDRW/DVDRW to see if things go better from there.
6. Check if your player is in the list (below) of the "reported working well". If it is there then something you do wrong.

Ghitulescu
2nd March 2011, 11:00
That's entirely your problem and is not a bug. Learn how to use it, it's simple to use. As I said before, start with the help file.

MilesAhead
3rd March 2011, 03:49
I've used AviAddXSubs for years with my Philips DVD players. I also have a WD HDTV set top box. With settings set to largest font and thickest border the WD box still shows .srt with too small a font and too thin a border. I was using AviAddXSubs to create idx/sub files from the .srt. This allowed me to make the font larger, but the WD box still wasn't showing any border. White subs would disappear when over a white background.

Finally I tried the YUV option and got the black border on the subs!! What a world of difference!! Subs stand out no matter the background now. Just thought I'd make the comment because when looking at subs in a software player on the PC with YUV option on, the white subs seem blurred with a funky color. For this reason I was discouraged from trying it on the WD box. But on the WD box the files show fine.

If you have a WD set top box try the YUV option. I still think, at least for 1st gen WD box, only White subs with Black border works for idx/sub files. It will display color for DVD subtitles when playing a DVD. But the idx/sub files are much better than just using .srt external files.

jandor
10th March 2011, 01:21
Guide AVIAddXSubs: By jandor / Brazilian Portuguese Language

Frum Legenda TV (http://forum.legendas.tv/showthread.php?26941)

Frum Clube do Hardware (http://forum.clubedohardware.com.br/guia-incorporar-legenda/848412)

chexmix
14th January 2015, 00:41
For more information and download visit http://aviaddxsubs.blogspot.com.

Version 9.10.

The last time this thread received a post was years ago. I notice AVIAddXSubs is now at version 9.15. Did the conversation move somewhere else?

So settings should be:

[FONT="Courier New"] X = WIDTH * 0.375

WIDTH | HEIGHT | CP= | VP= |
----------------------------
< 0721 | <0577 | (X) | 450 | i.e. 624x...., 640x...., 720x.... videos
< 1281 | <0721 | (X) | 660 | i.e. 1280x.... videos
< 1981 | <1081 | (X) | 660 | i.e. 1920x.... videos

I'm really glad I found AVIAddXSubs and your post to explain how I could use it with my PS3.

I have a bunch of MP4 files in varying resolutions and each with an SRT file. This works great in VLC but the PS3 doesn't support SRT (as of Dec 2014). Moreover when I converted some of the MP4 files to AVI I ended up with files bigger than 4GB. And that of course is a problem because the PS3 only accepts FAT32 formatted USB drives, and FAT32 only accepts <=4GB files.

My process to get everything working now is this:

Convert the video files to AVI using ffmpeg. I use the same command string as in AVIAddXSubs.
ffmpeg -y -i FILENAME.mp4 -vcodec mpeg4 -q:v 0 -vtag XVID -acodec libmp3lame -ab 128k -ac 2 -q:a 0 -use_odml 0 FILENAME.avi
Split the AVI files to 3.5GB each using splitMKV.exe. splitMKV is part of multiAVCHD (http://www.videohelp.com/tools/multiAVCHD). I use this utility because it will split the SRT files in sync with the AVI files. I don't use 4GB because AViAddXSubs doesn't always work right at that size (MuxXSubs: (RT) Out of memory - Line 1220); I think it needs some extra space for integrating the subtitles.
splitMKV FILENAME.avi "some\output\folder" /split:3500
Convert the split MKV files back to an AVI container. Though splitMKV can split an AVI file it puts each piece in an MKV container so this step is necessary to convert them back to AVI.
ffmpeg -y -i FILENAME-part-001.mkv -vcodec copy -acodec copy FILENAME-part-001.avi
ffmpeg -y -i FILENAME-part-002.mkv -vcodec copy -acodec copy FILENAME-part-002.avi

Run AViAddXSubs to integrate the subtitles.
AViAddXSubs FILENAME-part-001.avi FILENAME-part-002.avi

For subtitles I based my work off deank's calculations. I'm not exactly the same because I wanted to get my subtitles as close as possible to my television's closed captioning size. I have a Sony KV-24FS100 television (24" SDTV).

In all cases my AViAddXSubs subtitle settings are set to opaque, yellow text on black background (sony is actually white but I like yellow better), Verdana, no bold, no full screen.

For a video 623x532 I use:
Bitmap 720x576, CP 320, VP 450, Verdana 16

For a video 1920x1080 I use:
Bitmap 1920x1080, CP 720, VP 670, Verdana 24

CP settings don't seem to make a big difference, at least with 1920x1080. I can set it at 680 or 600 it's still in the same position, approximately the center of the screen.

VP settings do make a difference though. Sony closed captioning when it runs on the bottom of the screen is about an inch up from the bottom of the caption box to bottom of the viewable area. The subtitles on the other hand I have set to be about 3/4" from the bottom of the subtitle box to the bottom of the viewable area. Again this is just a matter of preference.

The way I arrived at the font settings was by measuring an uppercase T on the sony closed captioning (horizontal .5-light x vertical .5) and then trying different sizes until I got as close as possible to that.

Attached is a picture of an integrated subtitle video made using AVIAddXSubs playing on my TV via PS3.