PDA

View Full Version : Software to produce Quicktime movie ?

varunb
25th April 2007, 06:00
Can any1 suggest me a gud software that produces a Quicktime movie using H.264 & AAC codecs ? I was thinking of buying one but I am not able to figure out which one is appropriate. I have TMPGEnc 4.0 XPress but it produces the output having too much luma. Its as if it is adding some luma factor from its in-built encoder without keeping in mind that quicktime will itself add some luma during playback. 2ndly, I dont want to create a quicktime movie using the export profile which Quicktime Pro uses bcos the outputs produced are devoid of the brightness factor. I searched some info about Adobe Premier & Ulead Movie Studio but they produce H.264 AAC in MP4 format only.

dvd_master
26th April 2007, 03:30
Super ( http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html ) is free and does exactly what you want. I love the software, I highly recommend it.

varunb
26th April 2007, 06:10
Well SUPER uses older version of x264 codec(version released in October 2005). I have already tried it. SUPER will be my last resort if I don't find any other software. Anyways, thanx for ur suggestion Dvd_master !

Placio74
26th April 2007, 08:18
MPEG StreamClip (http://www.squared5.com/)

---

FFmpeg

Simple example:
ffmpeg.exe -i name.avi -f mov -vcodec h264 -sameq -acodec aac name.mov

---

Change container with FFmpeg - MP4>MOV

ffmpeg.exe -i name.mp4 -vcodec copy -acodec copy name.mov

Blue_MiSfit
27th April 2007, 00:17
I'd throw a vote for MeGUI. It has a profile for QuickTime compatibility, and also for iPod compatibility. It's fast and easy, and produces higher quality output than Apple H.264 - though Apple has improved a lot recently.

~Misfit

varunb
28th April 2007, 06:32
I agree with u Misfit that meGUI is gr8. Well I was trying MPEG Streamclip as Placio74 mentioned & the problem is that whenever I input an uncompressed YV12 avi, it shows a totally white screen. I have all the necessary YV12 decoders installed. Then why is it not working with it ?

bond
28th April 2007, 14:37
:search: in the meg-4 encoder gui and mpeg-4 avc forums

Placio74
28th April 2007, 15:11
... Well I was trying MPEG Streamclip as Placio74 mentioned & the problem is that whenever I input an uncompressed YV12 avi, it shows a totally white screen. I have all the necessary YV12 decoders installed. Then why is it not working with it ?

Sorry.
MPEG StreamClip use only QuickTime codecs.
Not use VfW codecs or DirectShow.
Read AVI files compressed by Cinepak, Indeo 3/4 (not 5), uncompressed RGB.
Uncompressed YV12 and most MPEG-4 codecs not decode in MPEG StreamClip (QT?).

varunb
28th April 2007, 15:13
Ok forget MPEG Streamclip. The reason I am not using meGUI is bcos I am having trouble encoding an avi to MP4. I converted the Spiderman 3 trailer to uncompressed YV12. The avi played fine. Then i frameserved it using avisynth to meGUI & encoded it to MP4(baseline profile). When I played the MP4 file in both Quicktime 7 player & Alternative, the playback sort of stuttered at few places. Even there was no sound at that time when it stuttered & jerked. I haven't been able to figure out the problem since then.

bond
29th April 2007, 11:35
Ok forget MPEG Streamclip. The reason I am not using meGUI is bcos I am having trouble encoding an avi to MP4. I converted the Spiderman 3 trailer to uncompressed YV12. The avi played fine. Then i frameserved it using avisynth to meGUI & encoded it to MP4(baseline profile). When I played the MP4 file in both Quicktime 7 player & Alternative, the playback sort of stuttered at few places. Even there was no sound at that time when it stuttered & jerked. I haven't been able to figure out the problem since then.quicktime is a damn slow player, what are your systems' specs?

varunb
29th April 2007, 15:12
Specs:

Intel 2.4 Ghz processor, 512MB RAM, 80GB+40GB hard disk.

There's one more thing I want to mention. I encoded the same trailer to MP4 only this time I reduced the bitrate of the 2 pass from 14MBps to 9600 KBps & the MP4 file played fine. Thats strange. As far as I know, 720p resolution trailers have played on my pc all the time. 2ndly, the kind of the jerkiness & stuttering that occurs is not as if my pc is not able to handle 720p versions.

varunb
30th April 2007, 08:27
Ok wait, my prob is almost solved. I converted the MP4 file to mov using ffmpeg rev 8797. This was the command I used:

ffmpeg -i Quicktime-muxed.mp4 -idct h264 -r 23.976 -vcodec copy -acodec copy Pirates_3.mov

When I played the mov file in Quicktime 7, it played fine but in Quicktime Alternative, when I dragged the cursor to some random playback position, the video got out of sync. This thing didn't happen in Quicktime 7. What shud b the solution for this ?

setarip_old
1st May 2007, 00:19
Please be good enough to post a link to the specific trailer you're trying to convert to ".MOV" format - so that others of us who may be able to provide assistance can "take a shot at it" ;>}

varunb
1st May 2007, 09:55
Fine, its the Pirates 3 official trailer.

http://progressive.totaleclips.com.edgesuite.net/100/b10004_b2f.mov

But I just don't understand what gud will it do to u ? Let me tell u in brief wat I did. I downloaded the trailer that is available in HD 1080p MOV format -> resized it(to fullscreen) & converted it to uncompressed YV12 AVI having raw pcm 44.1 KHz audio. Now I just want to convert it to MOV format with H.264 & AAC. Wat is the better way according to u ???????

bond
1st May 2007, 11:17
Fine, its the Pirates 3 official trailer.

http://progressive.totaleclips.com.edgesuite.net/100/b10004_b2f.mov

But I just don't understand what gud will it do to u ? Let me tell u in brief wat I did. I downloaded the trailer that is available in HD 1080p MOV format -> resized it(to fullscreen) & converted it to uncompressed YV12 AVI having raw pcm 44.1 KHz audio. Now I just want to convert it to MOV format with H.264 & AAC. Wat is the better way according to u ???????you resized a 1080p video to fullscreen? what for?

varunb
1st May 2007, 13:41
cos I like to watch the trailers in fullscreen. The resolution was 1920 x 796. I did a pan-scan of the trailer & resized it to 1024 x 768. Thats it. Now can any1 pls tell me as to how I shud convert it to MOV format ? A proper ffmpeg command will do keeping in mind my post #12. Pls guyz I am really getting restless now.

setarip_old
1st May 2007, 17:15
I dont want to create a quicktime movie using the export profile which Quicktime Pro uses bcos the outputs produced are devoid of the brightness factor.If you're saying that under "Export", QuicktimePro doesn't allow you to adjust brightness, you are mistaken.

Click on "Options" and then "Filters"...

varunb
2nd May 2007, 08:08
I downloaded the trailer that is available in HD 1080p MOV format -> resized it(to fullscreen) & converted it to uncompressed YV12 AVI having raw pcm 44.1 KHz audio.

Didn't u read my previous post, setarip_old ? In case u still haven't understood, Quicktime Pro doesn't handle uncompressed YV12 inputs.

setarip_old
2nd May 2007, 08:33
Yes, I've read your previous post - and I've apparently misunderstood what you're trying to accomplish.

Your first post seemed to indicate that you weren't able to convert the trailer (an HD .MOV) to "a Quicktime movie using H.264 & AAC codecs". I (mis)interpreted your subsequent posts as indicating that you felt compelled to first convert the trailer to .AVI format as an intermediate step...

varunb
2nd May 2007, 08:47
Alright fine. Just tell me this that what shud b the proper ffmpeg command for MP4-MOV conversion by stream copy method. The problem I am facing has been highlighted before in post #12. I just need a proper ffmpeg command.

setarip_old
2nd May 2007, 09:27
I'm not a user of "FFMPEG", so I'm afraid I can't answer that question. (I know now that this doesn't solve your problem) However, after you posted the name of the trailer, I downloaded it and successfully used QuicktimePro to "Export" as H.264 with 48KHz AAC audio - and as I said before, brightness controls ARE available...

Placio74
2nd May 2007, 10:17
cos I like to watch the trailers in fullscreen. The resolution was 1920 x 796. I did a pan-scan of the trailer & resized it to 1024 x 768. Thats it. Now can any1 pls tell me as to how I shud convert it to MOV format ? A proper ffmpeg command will do keeping in mind my post #12. Pls guyz I am really getting restless now.
Hmm...?

ffmpeg.exe -i filename.mov -vcodec h264 -sameq -cropleft 428 -cropright 430 -r 24000/1001 -s 1024x768 -acodec copy newfilename.mov
or
ffmpeg.exe -i filename.mov -vcodec h264 -me full -b 10000 -cropleft 428 -cropright 430 -r 24000/1001 -s 1024x768 -acodec copy newfilename.mov
It's recompress video, but i'm don't know other way to crop & resize...

mr soft
2nd May 2007, 13:34
Pls guyz I am really getting restless now.

The people that are helping you do this out of the goodness of their hearts, and out of their own free time.
To go to this much trouble to transcode a two to three minute trailer says to me that you really,really like your trailers.
The official release date is may 25th only app.3 weeks .

varunb
2nd May 2007, 13:44
Placio74, what u r telling me is to resize the already-resized encodes which is definitely not necessary. Moreover, the commands u mentioned will do a reencode instead of stream copy & I do not want to perform any further re-encode with the MP4 file.

The people that are helping you do this out of the goodness of their hearts, and out of their own free time. To go to this much trouble to transcode a two to three minute trailer says to me that you really, really like your trailers.

I know that Mr soft & I appreciate the fact that the doom9 users are helping me in their free time :) & yeah, u r right. I really like my encodes as it gives a sense of pride & satisfaction when I watch them.

Anyways, coming back to the point, I was wondering that the sync problem which occurs while watching the MP4 file in MPC, could be related to the fact that the MP4 has no timestamps ? :confused:

If i cud just figure out how to fix this.....

bond
2nd May 2007, 19:12
so you reencoded the trailer to a smaller, but still big, resolution. what format is your trailer in now? container and codec

edit: btw mp4 has timestamps

Blue_MiSfit
2nd May 2007, 23:59
There's one more thing I want to mention. I encoded the same trailer to MP4 only this time I reduced the bitrate of the 2 pass from 14MBps to 9600 KBps & the MP4 file played fine. Thats strange.

Not strange at all. 14mbps 720p AVC is very demanding to decode. The Quicktime decoder is hopelessly slow on Windows.

If you decoded it with CoreAVC... Maybe.

~MiSfit

varunb
3rd May 2007, 07:05
Trailer info:

Container: MP4
Video: x264, 2-pass, fourcc="avc1", bitrate=9600
Audio: AAC-LC, CBR 224 kbps, 44.1 KHz
Resolution= 960 x 720
Framerate = 23.976

varunb
5th May 2007, 08:46
Hellooooo!! Guyz I am still stuck here. Any ffmpeg expert around here ??

varunb
10th May 2007, 16:15
Update: The sync problem(in MPC) that I had mentioned earlier is not only occurring in the mov files I created using ffmpeg but also in the Quicktime trailers that I have downloaded from Apple. I have checked the audio options in MPC & they are set to default values. I have even reinstalled Quicktime Alt v1.80 & also tried v1.78 but the problem is not vanishing. If this problem gets fixed then I may be able to play the mov files I created without any sync problem. Suggestions ???

lilhobo
15th May 2007, 07:15
doesnt the pro version of quicktime accept AVIs as input?

setarip_old
15th May 2007, 16:59
@lilhobo

Hi!

If you read this thread from the beginning (including the posts I've made), you'll see that this viable solution has already been discussed - and rejected by "varunb"...

varunb
15th May 2007, 17:26
Its been 5 days & no one has replied to my post #29.