PDA

View Full Version : How to change container without re-encoding?

Bh4i
18th April 2007, 17:15
Can someone tell me how to change the container from mov/rm/mp4/mkv files to say avi without re-encoding. It seems for each container u need to have a different program, and demux the streams, etc etc

Only searching for how to change the container costs a lot of time, so i was wondering: isnt there some (commercial) software which can change the container from many types? Im willing to pay for it, if it can spare me time/effort. :cool:

And if not, is there some site which explains how to convert all containers amongst each other :confused:

skottish
18th April 2007, 23:25
You can do that with anything FFMPEG or Mencoder can read. For instance:

ffmpeg -i old_video.mp4 -vcodec copy -acodec copy new_video.avi

Go to their respective sites for documentation.

[P]ako
19th April 2007, 02:59
May I ask why you want to change the container?

Bigmango
19th April 2007, 03:30
Avidemux.org

Select video and audio : copy , and select the new container.

Bh4i
19th April 2007, 12:55
ako;990928']May I ask why you want to change the container?Sometimes (especially with mov files) i cant play them with zoom player. And sometimes i want to share those files with others (legal sharing) who cant play them because of the extension. Someone once changed the extension from .mov to .mpg without reencoding and it worked great. He did it with AVS video tools (commercial software), but it only works for some .mov files :cool:
Avidemux.org

Select video and audio : copy , and select the new container.Ill have a look at it. Thnx :)

[P]ako
19th April 2007, 15:57
Sometimes (especially with mov files) i cant play them with zoom player. And sometimes i want to share those files with others (legal sharing) who cant play them because of the extension. Someone once changed the extension from .mov to .mpg without reencoding and it worked great. He did it with AVS video tools (commercial software), but it only works for some .mov files :cool:

Oh, you don't want to change the container, you want to reencode. That's what AVS video tools does, it converts from one format to another. A change of container won't make the videos play in Zoom Player if you've not installed the codecs you need.

BTW, newer MOV files are encoded with H264. And, you should give VLC player a spin, it plays most formats.

Bh4i
19th April 2007, 17:15
No, i dont want to reencode... :cool:

AVS tools do encode, but someone opened a .mov file when trying to encode, and AVS tools automatically created a .mpg file of it... I tried to rename the extension from .mov to .mpg and it wasnt the same...

I tried to do this with other tools (ffmpeg etc) and not even 1 tool worked... the video stream in that file was mpeg1.. i dont know why someone would like to put mpeg1 in mov, but anyway...

PS: the file im talking about is a movie trailer. Most of the movie trailers (from apple for example) do have h264 but this one hasnt...

[P]ako
19th April 2007, 18:01
Have you tried QuickTime Alternative?

http://www.codecguide.com/about_qt.htm

foxyshadis
20th April 2007, 04:52
You want an MPEG-PS muxer? Try VLC. It lets you save things to other formats when you open them.

Usually, if something doesn't open normally, then you rename it to something else (like mov->mp4) and it does work, it means your filter registrations are all screwed up. Whatever filter is handling the latter can handle both, so it should be set to handle the former as well. Take care of that.

Beware, there are no PS or TS muxers that can handle VFR.

Bh4i
21st April 2007, 18:22
I tried quicktime alt.

@foxyshadis: i think ur right... cause i can see weird filters in MPC (remotelyanywhere decoder...) and it plays fine in MPUI...