PDA

View Full Version : Mpeg2 realtime recording solution for vista?

NoX1911
30th March 2007, 23:40
Hi,
i tried 'WinDVD Recorder 5'. It crashed several times without any reason and as i selected my capture device the program doesn't startup at all anymore. Doesn't look like its vista32 compatible.

Then i tried virtualdub with ffdshow (stable beta2) and raw output with mpeg2 compression. It does work, even with b-frames somehow but the resulting stream seems not dvd compliant. Cuttermaran complains about corrupt timecode and DVD-Lab shows something about missing aspect ratio informations in mpeg2 stream.
I think ffdshow mpeg2 encoding is not intended for that currently or still in development but i was surprised that it generally works so far. If i'm wrong and just misconfigured something let me know. That would be the perfect solution.

I want to capture around 20 vhs-c tapes so i don't want to go through the huffman+cce pipe. I need some faster solution.

Any ideas for vista?

Philips SAA7134 (WDM reference driver)
Vista 32bit

Pookie
31st March 2007, 05:29
Maybe try MpegStreamClip 1.1 for Windows to repair the mpeg

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/3637/92139235og6.th.jpg (http://img99.imageshack.us/my.php?image=92139235og6.jpg)

Mug Funky
3rd April 2007, 02:51
if you want to encode with ffmpeg, try VLC for capturing. it gives a few more options, though last i tried it's only really good for CBR-ish stuff.

NoX1911
2nd October 2010, 01:09
Still searching for a solution. Any new experiences or recommendations? What about proprietary software (Pinnacle, WinDVR, Magix...)?

wiseant
2nd October 2010, 02:59
Look at the MainConcept mpeg2 capture program - it is part of MainConcept MPEG Encoder v1.5.1 - at one time there was a standalone version - also one of the Capture Cards I bought -> Genius TVGO A11 included the MainConcept mpeg2 capture program - I highly recommend it - has plenty of tweaks as well as Firewire to DVD with or without "buffering"

VirtualDub ffdshow mpeg2 works - make sure you set the aspect ratio to 4:3 - it puts it in an avi container - but DGIndex will demux it - then I think you can patch it with DVDPatcher or Restream i.e. change from 1:1 to 4:3 - the problem with the ffdshow capture is that it ignores bitrate mode and only uses Quantizer settings - but you need to try q6 or q7 for 720-704x480, depending on the source - otherwise you will get bitrate spikes - hence non DVD compliant

here is a link for the pdf file: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ayl96zwaua6d1lw

yup
2nd October 2010, 05:56
NoX1911!
I tested Pinnacle Studio and Mainconcept with my Pinnacle card. Studio practicaly not have setting for mpeg-2 encoder, Mainconcept have a lot of setting.
yup.

Emulgator
2nd October 2010, 10:29
I can not recommend any on-the fly encoding.
Have tried many and discarded tham all.
If one is interested in affordable quality, he may capture to DV-AVI and encode using HCEnc.
Long development, beautiful results, many tweaks, DVD-compliant.
And top quality? Capture to uncompressed.avi and encode using HCEnc or CCE SP3.

mariush
2nd October 2010, 14:49
I'm using the software the tv tuner came with, Winfast PVR ... but I think it only works with specific tuner chips. The MPEG2 encoder inside is quite good and it's a direct show filter made by Cyberlink, it's called CyberLink MPEG Video Encoder (duh) - this page lists it and some software it's used in : http://codec.kiev.ua/mpeg2.html

Ghitulescu
2nd October 2010, 16:21
I want to capture around 20 vhs-c tapes so i don't want to go through the huffman+cce pipe. I need some faster solution.

A good VHS-deck (with TBC, as it has to play VHS-C tapes) and a good DVD-recorder. I assume the tapes are original (1st generation), an external TBC is not required. Practically any DVD-recorder (of a certain class) can do the job, if set at the maximum quality (1h, as VHS-C cannot be longer).

Nothing can be faster than this.

You can later on author a DVD out of the footage, maybe you need the help of a DVD-RB or DVDshrink or the like to put some 2-3 hours on a DVDR.