PDA

View Full Version : x264 playback problems

mlansell
28th March 2007, 10:58
I've been trying to convert VC-1 video to x264 using Avisynth and x264.exe. I've tried both via MeGUI and using the command line directly.

If I have the number of b-frames set to anything other than zero, the file refuses to play. It crashes WMP11 and PowerDVD, and in Nero Showtime only displays the first frame before causing an error.

With the b-frames at zero, Showtime will play the video (the quality is rubbish - but that is probably a bitrate issue), but it still crashes WMP11 and PowerDVD.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be the problem?

Thanks

Mal

foxyshadis
28th March 2007, 20:25
Open it in graphedit - find the download in doom9 tools - and find out what filter is doing the decoding. You'll probably need to unregister it. A screenshot of graphedit would help if you can't find the offending filter.

mlansell
28th March 2007, 23:26
Open it in graphedit - find the download in doom9 tools - and find out what filter is doing the decoding. You'll probably need to unregister it. A screenshot of graphedit would help if you can't find the offending filter.

I can't. If I try "Render Media File", GraphEdit just crashes.

If I try building a graph by hand, as soon as I attach any kind of renderer, GraphEdit crashes.

Could you suggest a graph that I could try? Should any h264-decoding filter work with x264-encoded files?

Thanks

Mal

bond
31st March 2007, 13:20
are you sure that you have the needed directshow filters installed? try installing haali media splitter and ffdshow (with avc enabled)

mlansell
2nd April 2007, 19:57
I can play avc mp4s created in Nero Recode just fine, so I had expected no problems with the x264 ones.

I've installed so many codecs recently I guess I've just got too many fighting it out for the right to play my files! Since no-one else seems to have any trouble, a clean install may be in order.

Thanks

Mal

PuzZLeR
5th April 2007, 02:36
Hey mlansell,

I too have a similar problem. My Nero ShowTime does not like anything that I encoded with x264. It dies on me when I load it.

When I feed it a Nero Digital AVC file, or a Baseline iPod friendly file, it plays just fine. Hmmm.... No other player is complaining though.

This only started happening when I upgraded with their March 20th release. Maybe it's what's happened to your system too. A bug maybe?

Too bad. I like ShowTime, and I hope they fix it with a new release soon. I'm thinking of going back to the previous version... but in the previous version I had issues with Nero Vision... I guess you can't have everything.

mlansell
8th April 2007, 16:10
Hey mlansell,

This only started happening when I upgraded with their March 20th release. Maybe it's what's happened to your system too. A bug maybe?.

That's a possibility - I do have the latest version.

For the moment I've decided not to bother building mp4s - EvoDemux can create a single evo with just the HD video and the main dd+ audio track, which plays fine in PowerDVD. I'll just have to buy some bigger hard drives ;-)

Mal