PDA

View Full Version : Computer hangs when playing Divx Player

billqs
19th March 2007, 14:45
Sorry if this might not be the correct folder. Feel free to move as necessary.

I just recently did a fresh reinstall of XP on a new harddrive and downloaded the Divx 6.5 player. I was watching some old episodes of Dr. Who (I believe they were encoded in Divx 3) and about 15 minutes in each episode the video would disappear, the desktop would pop back up and the sound would continuously loop the last 2 seconds. Trying Control Alt Delete would bring up the task bar only after about 2 minutes, upon which the video would start to play again as if nothing had happened.

I went back over the area and it played fine. This happened one to two times each video.

When the task manager would come up, it would show 95-100% CPU usage apparently at the time of the hang up. I noticed the hold one frame for computer spikes was not checked in the Divx Codec configuration and I checked that. I have been unable to play anything else to see if that would work.

Any suggestions?

I'm running a 3.2 Celeron D with 1 Gig 533DDR2 memory, ATI Radeon 9600SE 128M video card, 2 Seagate 750 Gig Harddrives, PCChips P23 motherboard with latest drivers.

jeffy
19th March 2007, 16:48
Any suggestions?

Did the LED light lit continuously (for those 2 minutes)? If yes, thoroughly check your hard drives and their cables. Hard drive/drives and/or cables might be physically bad. Did you hear any unusual sounds like clicks or thrashing from the drives?

billqs
19th March 2007, 16:56
The light actually wasn't on at all during the 2 minutes when everything was malfunctioning. I also didn't hear any noise from the hard drives. There was a click in the 2 seconds of audio that kept repeating each time.

Both drives are brand new bought this year. I am wondering if the player problem hiccupped because of the spike in CPU usage. I thought it might be a heat issue, but the heat monitor I installed seemed to show temps within the normal range.

Thanks for your help!

Bill

jeffy
19th March 2007, 18:22
The light actually wasn't on at all during the 2 minutes when everything was malfunctioning. I also didn't hear any noise from the hard drives. There was a click in the 2 seconds of audio that kept repeating each time.

Both drives are brand new bought this year. I am wondering if the player problem hiccupped because of the spike in CPU usage. I thought it might be a heat issue, but the heat monitor I installed seemed to show temps within the normal range.

Thanks for your help!

Bill
Thanks for the additional information. I meant some clicks from the drives, not a clicking sound in a playing file. You can of course run the drive tests, but as of now it doesn't seem to be a failing drive issue for me.

Do you know Media Player Classic? Try playing your files with MPC, if there are the same issues. Hopefully not. If you want, you can have the task manager on top (running, with the tab Processes opened) and try to repeat the issue in DivX Player. Look for CPU usage spikes in the Processes tab when it sort of hangs.
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Media_Player_Classic.htm

billqs
19th March 2007, 18:40
Thanks!

Those are both great debugging suggestions. I have MPC but ran out of time to try the same files in there. I'll have to try running the files and see what result I get.

foxyshadis
19th March 2007, 18:43
Divx player does a lot of post-processing and enhancement, which is really pretty necessary for old divx 3 stuff, but it eats cpu. You can turn that off in options if you want to keep using it. The problem might be improperly cooled hardware though, most likely the processor (since drives are ruled out) or possibly the video card. That's sort of the same behavior my X1400 has when it crashes and goes through vpu recover, but it pops up a window saying as much.

billqs
19th March 2007, 19:25
I'm using the 9600 SE and it does not have a fan just a heatsink. After this I checked in bios and temps appeared normal. I've since installed a windows temp manager and it continues to show normal. I really need to recreate and see if there is a rapid heat increase. Overheating was actually my first thought.

I just installed from a regular midtower case into an HTPC case. It's a rather large HTPC case and has 3 fans, takes standard parts, so I think I have adequate ventilation. The new Power Supply also has 2 fans. There is no direct vent to the outside of the case for the CPU fan however, which I miss.

billqs
23rd March 2007, 14:23
I reran the problem files yesterday and had Task Manager up to monitor CPU usage and FanSpeed up to monitor temps. I had no temp issues, but when the lock up came it was accompanied by a sudden, prolonged 100% CPU usage event.

Since the ATI card is supposed to help with hardware decoding, I am at a loss as to why I am getting this error. My system should be more than fast enough to play standard def Divx files.

billqs
26th March 2007, 04:30
Just to drop in an update. If finally occurred to me to disable my screen saver and since I did this, I've had no further hang up issues, though I have only tried a few files so far. This appears to be a fix if anyone is having any similar issues. Thanks for everyone's help!

jeffy
26th March 2007, 08:14
Just to drop in an update. If finally occurred to me to disable my screen saver and since I did this, I've had no further hang up issues, though I have only tried a few files so far. This appears to be a fix if anyone is having any similar issues. Thanks for everyone's help!
Thank you for sharing the tip. Some things are really wierd sometimes, I wouldn't say it could be a screensaver :confused:
If you don't mind, do you use some of built-in screensavers or a third party one?

setarip_old
29th March 2007, 02:26
Yes, if I remember correctly, screensavers tend to look for keypresses, mouseclicks, and mouse movement. If none are noted, at the designated time, the screensaver attempts to activate - wreaking havoc on video playback...

As far as I know, there's been no meaningful purpose to screensavers for about 5 years, if not longer.

billqs
29th March 2007, 03:47
My screensaver is the moving Windows XP logo. It actually does serve a purpose for me since my computer is playing through a Standard Definition 36inch CRT Television to prevent burn ins, but like you said, they serve no real purpose for monitors anymore.

I'm going to play some more Divx files when I'm off in the next couple of days and will let people know if the same problem creeps up with the screensaver disabled.

Bill

setarip_old
29th March 2007, 07:29
As I said, concern about burn-in on CRTs disappeared at least 5 years ago, because (from another forum):for several years now, monitors have used long-life phosphors, greatly improved over those of 10-15 years ago. This effectively renders screensavers useless for preventing burn-in, the screens simply need no saving. Now, the only use for screensavers is for entertainment value or for password-protecting an idle computer.