PDA

View Full Version : dvd2svcd not compatible with CBR Audio

mr underground
16th March 2007, 05:43
Hi i just started using dvd2svcd 1.2.3 build 1 and have realised unlike its older builds this does not support CBR audio!!!

so if you experience freezes incomplete encodes its because you have to use vbr which is just completly ridiculous and complete utter crap and i am going back to teh older version of dvd2svcd.

Thanks hope this was helpful

Nick
16th March 2007, 16:55
I can't say that is terribly helpful as I don't understand what you mean at all.

DVD2SVCD always converts audio to a CBR MP2 file and always has. Furthermore, the build you mention has been around for over a year without any mention of problems with CBR audio.

Before throwing terms like "complete utter crap" around, when discussing this free software, could you be more specific about the problem you are having?

See this post (http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19566) for tips on how to structure a post to get help on a problem

and this post (http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7770) for a few pointers on forum etiquette.

Regards
Nick

jshumate
16th March 2007, 17:16
Is it even possible to do VBR encoding with MPEG-1 layer II audio? I've never heard of such.

mr underground
16th March 2007, 18:10
you have totally misunderstand what i am saying! what i was refering to was the input file ie the avi! an avi is a video file which contains both video and audio and audio when mp3 can be of two types cbr (constant bitrate) and vbr (variant bitrate). with variant bitrate in avi you will get synch problems if you split the file or cut at any point prior to throughing to dvd2svcd but in the case of cbr audio in the avi you will not have any synch problems when cutting editing. therefore i usually use cbr audio in my avi files and then put them into dvd2svcd!!!

so hence dvd2svcd is not compatbile with CBR AUDIO as it freezes and i have run tests to that effect. this is only when tmpeg is encoder as i dont use cce so wouldnt know. wethere its been around for a year or not maybe i am teh first to notice this flaw in the latest build anyway the older version does not have this problem.

Nick
16th March 2007, 19:06
OK. We're getting somewhere now. There was no mention in your previous post that you are using AVI input!

So I made a little 30sec AVI, demuxed the audio, converted to 128kbps CBR MP3 and remuxed it in VDubMod.

I then put my AVI into DVD2SVCD and it went through no problem. If I now understand your problem, I cannot reproduce it.

All I can advise, is that if the old version of DVD2SVCD does everything you need it to, stick with it. If, on the other hand, the newer build has some features you wish to use, I would reinstall it, attempt a conversion and post full details including a logfile.

However, I should point out in any event that if there is a bug, it is unlikely to be fixed as there has been no active development of this program for some time.