PDA

View Full Version : Can I capture HD video from STB using it's YPbPr outputs ??

sbt5
11th March 2007, 17:15
I live in the US and have a digital HD "Set Top Box". My HDTV has 2 sets of component inputs. Presently I have the digital cable box going to 1 component input (YPbPr) and my computer using a NVidia video card with component output feeding the 2nd component input. Here is my question. I would like to capture HD content with a video capture card in HD WS format. The STB feeds the tv with either 720p or 1080i. I would like to know if the component outputs from the SA Explorer 4200HD STB is encrypted in away (MacroVision, etc). Would it be possible to capture HD content with say a KWorld TVBox 1440. The products description includes "AV/S-VIDEO/YPbPr input interface can be extended by using Mini cable so that the product can be connected with DVD, PS2 game machine etc. The product supports standard-definition and high-definition signal input (480I/ 480P/ 576I/ 576P/ 720P/ 1080I)." Anyone know if this setup would be possible.:thanks: :stupid:

Blue_MiSfit
11th March 2007, 23:05
Well, I did some research. That's a neat little box, but it doesn't do what you think.

It's not a capture device, it just converts the component video signal into a VGA signal for your computer monitor. It's cool if you dont have a TV and want to watch HDTV on your CRT monitor from an STB.

So nope, you can't capture.

The cheapest component video capture card that is HD capable (as far as I know) is the blackmagic decklink HD (http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/hd/).

~ $1k to get started.

The signals coming out of your STB are probably macrovision protected, and may or may not capture correctly with this card.

~MiSfit