PDA

View Full Version : best program for batch conversion to WMV9/VC-1?

disgust
3rd February 2007, 07:25
I'm looking for a decent program to do this with, but all seem to fall short so far

- SUPER: doesn't even recognize WMV9 as an available option

- windows media encoder: can't batch process, doesn't allow advanced selectionof properties-- ie forces uses of prebuilt "profiles" of preset framerates, bitrates, etc

I also tried some other random products ("river past video cleaner", etc) but none of them 1) allowed advanced options to be selected and 2) allowed batch processing

stegre
3rd February 2007, 09:55
I think Zambelli would be the best person to answer this, but really all you have to do is read his sticky thread (http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=112634). If you start reading from "OK, I installed the codec. How do I encode with it? .." I think you'll see that when using Windows Media Encoder 9 Series:

Simply selecting "custom session" gets you out of the "prebuilt profiles"

There are at least three utilities listed for selection of advanced properties beyond that, and

there's a WMCmd.vbs command line script will do all of the above itself, and furthermore it will apparently batch process if you just give it a folder name instead of a filename.

If you're not familiar with using command line apps :eek:, this might be a good time start messin' around with 'em...

cyberheater
3rd February 2007, 10:17
Try http://www.wmeassistant.com/

disgust
3rd February 2007, 10:43
I'm familiar with using command line applications.

it isn't that I can't figure out how to do with the tools I've found, it's just that I haven't found a way to easily automate the process

for other video conversions it will, for example, automatically detect the framerate and leave it the same so I don't need to manually set that for each file I convert.

I haven't really found a decent batch processor for vc1 that can do that sort of thing

wmeassistant is guilty of the same thing, unfortunately

cyberheater
3rd February 2007, 11:21
Shame. Good luck with your search.

tchaikovsky
3rd February 2007, 11:32
Thanks to cyberheater, gald to know you like that app:D

for other video conversions it will, for example, automatically detect the framerate and leave it the same so I don't need to manually set that for each file I convert.

I haven't really found a decent batch processor for vc1 that can do that sort of thing

wmeassistant is guilty of the same thing, unfortunately

This is a very valued suggestion:) Thanks !

zambelli
4th February 2007, 21:58
it isn't that I can't figure out how to do with the tools I've found, it's just that I haven't found a way to easily automate the process

I think wmcmd.vbs/WME9 encoding is probably your best bet. In my experience it correctly detects framerate when the input is AVI or AVS and the v_framerate parameter is omitted.

tchaikovsky
6th February 2007, 16:08
zambelli

I agree with you. IMO, wmcmd.vbs/WME9 is the most basic & powerful tool all the time for windows media encoding and your info always valued, thanks !

tchaikovsky
6th February 2007, 21:17
Thanks zamblli and disgust.

@disgust,

I have updated WMEA with the feature you mentioned. Check your PM. Thanks again :)