PDA

View Full Version : Direct WMV capture

ross_MoHaX
25th January 2007, 16:22
One discussion forum will take place in our company, there are will be three to five analog video signals and 5 mono audio signals. My task is convert it to wmv 320 kbit (320x240, 4 sec base frame) as fast as possible.

is there any capture cards that could capture directly in WMV? If no I've some questions to you:
1) Does third party wmv software (as http://www.blazemp.com/video_capture_software.htm) use same wmv codec as native Microsoft WMV encoder?
2) What card I should use? What do you say about Pinnacle Studio Movie Board? Or any ATI Theatre 650 Pro based card (which one?)? Is there any cards which could deinterlace input analog video before passing it to codec?
3) I couldn't find any cmdline based wmv muxer to mux result video track with each of audo track? I cmdline bacause I want to automate my work as much as possible

Any advice will be very helpful.

Blue_MiSfit
29th January 2007, 07:47
you could probably use VirtualDub to capture to WMV - although it will only encode WMV video in an AVI container. Getting all those input sources captured simultaneously will probably be very difficult without special hardware. I would get an external muxer to handle that however you want (4up display, or alternating every few seconds), and have it output a single stream to your capture card. WMV supports interlacing well, so I would just leave it interlaced :)

Shouldn't bee too tricky :)

mgh
12th March 2007, 11:40
windows media encoder will capture directly to wmv-use their mpeg4 codec-it needs min cpu. You should not need deinterlacing if you capture at 320x240.

AHelpingHand
20th March 2007, 14:19
I don't think capturing directly in WMV will give you the best results.

zambelli
21st March 2007, 06:58
is there any capture cards that could capture directly in WMV?
I'm not aware of any.
If no I've some questions to you:
1) Does third party wmv software (as http://www.blazemp.com/video_capture_software.htm) use same wmv codec as native Microsoft WMV encoder?

Typically it does. For most companies it's cheaper to pay the licensing fee and use Microsoft's codecs than implement WM codecs entirely from scratch.
2) What card I should use? What do you say about Pinnacle Studio Movie Board? Or any ATI Theatre 650 Pro based card (which one?)? Is there any cards which could deinterlace input analog video before passing it to codec?
WME9 dates back to 2002 so it might be a little picky about choice of capture cards, but I know for sure it will not use MPEG-2 capture cards such as the Hauppauge PVR-250, for example.
3) I couldn't find any cmdline based wmv muxer to mux result video track with each of audo track? I cmdline bacause I want to automate my work as much as possible
AsfBin might be able to do it (not sure), or you could write a quick C++ app that uses WM Multiplexer orSolveigMM ASF Multiplexer (http://www.solveigmm.com/?Products&id=ASFMuxer) DShow filters to do it. In fact, who knows, maybe someone already wrote one - I couldn't find one, but that's not to say it's not out there.