PDA

View Full Version : Laserdisc to DVD am I doing it right?

LadyLiete
23rd January 2007, 19:04
Here is how I do it:

I have 3 color av cables going from my laserdisc player, to the input on the back of my ILO Dvd recorder. I set the record time to SP, 2 hours push record on the player, then play on the laserdisc.

Half way through I pause the recording, flip the laserdisc and resume. Once the disc is recorded I open it in Dvdshrink reauthor mode to seamlessly splice the two halves together and remove any unwanted content, (Like catching fuzz a few seconds before the recording starts)

Someone told me there was a more professional way to do this... but I haven't found it

reepa
23rd January 2007, 19:33
That's a fine and simple way, but if you want the ultimate quality, record the video with a tv capture card uncompressed (or lossless compression like HuffYUV or Lagarith), and process it later. If your Laserdisc has digital audio, capture it digitally using toslink / coax. You might not have a digital audio input jack on your computer, in which case you need to get a new sound card.

Since the video signal on Laserdisc is in composite format, make sure the tv card you use has a good comb filter. I'm not sure which ones do, though. You might want to search this subforum for more information on that. There's an analog capturing guide on this website that tells you the details.

setarip_old
23rd January 2007, 23:29
@LadyLiete

Your procedure is ideal - and it's exquisite simplicity doesn't in any way result in lesser quality than you'd attain by using the unnecessarily protracted methodology suggested by "reepa". Nothing is going to generate a "purer" copy than direct-to-DVD recording...

FlimsyFeet
24th January 2007, 13:40
I agree that the DVD-recorder method cannot be beaten for simplicity, but I would argue that you can get higher quality by using a TV card, but whether the increase is siginificant enoughh to warrant the extra complexity is a matter of personal choice.

A DVD recorder is restricted to a single pass MPEG-2 encode. With a TV card, you can capture losslessly to begin with, then do a multipass encode afterwards.

A TV card will alow you to adjust brightness, contrast, etc in the drivers, options not usually available on a DVD recorder where you might get detail lost in crunched blacks or overblown whites.

Mug Funky
24th January 2007, 15:40
i find the difference between mpeg-2 and huffy is not much compared to the difference between a good LD player and a bad one...

so make sure your LD player is a good one. also, CLV discs will yield slightly less quality than CAV discs.

thankfully i've only had to do the LD thing once... it's too much hassle. the discs look coool though.

LadyLiete
25th January 2007, 01:11
I recently inherited a rather huge laserdisc collection from my late unclue (mainly because no one else wanted it). I was quite shocked to find it was around 200 or so laserdiscs, ranging from the original Star Trek series, to the Star Wars trilogy, and large amounts of disney cartoons.

Upon digging through the disney section I was completely amazed to find a rare imported copy of Song of The South, which typically goes for $200-$300 on ebay. I of course decided to keep it rather than sale.

The player that came with it was very old, it had wood finish and a record like top... im assuming it was 80's and didn't work. I hopped on ebay and bought a used Pioneer model for about $60 + shipping.

When I got it I found out it used to belonged to a college, and had been very lightly used, maybe a hand full of times max. I don't think it was a very expensive unit, but wear and tear was virtually non-existant.

... and since that day about 2 weeks ago ive been working on converting this massive collection and putting the converted discs into giant cd wallets, and the originals in the closet

Blue_MiSfit
29th January 2007, 07:54
Sweet! :) LaserDisc being an analog medium is highly dependent on the player to provide the best quality.

I've heard that capturing through composite to a good capture card often gives better results than using S-Video, because most LD players' comb filters are inferior to modern capture cards.

Good luck with your project, what fun!
~MiSfit